Worst and Best Voice-Acted Character(s) in GTA Series

75 replies to this topic
slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

☭ rip sven ☭

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:13 PM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 07 January 2017 - 08:20 PM.

Personally, a lot of the side characters from IV put a lot of effort into their roles, and it shows.

Roman, Dmitri, Mikhail, Playboy X, Dwayne, Manny, Derrick, Francis, The ULP guy, Darko, Little Jacob, Mallorie, Vlad, Ray, Bulgarin, Gravelli and more. There was so much passion and emotion in their delivery, some of their quotes still stick with me today. If it weren't for a lot of their performances - their characters wouldn't be nearly as impressive. Even when accents or languages were poorly delivered, the dialogue and emotion still bled through. I have nothing but praise for the voice cast.

I could say the same for the episodes. The main cast of The Lost, especially Billy and Johnny, were superbly acted. Same with characters like Gay Tony, Armando and Henrique, so on. Even GTA V had plenty of great voice talent, especially the main three, who all delivered their lines perfectly. The HD Universe games have been the best voice acted in the series, in my opinion.

And even still, I neglect to mention the 3D Universe - which also had some amazing voice acting, especially in Vice City (Ken Rosenberg, Sonny Forelli) and San Andreas (Tenpenny, Pulaski, Toreno and more).

Meanwhile, I don't know if there are really too many badly voiced characters. There was some flat delivery here and there in the earlier games, and even in the HD era (some smaller side characters like Michelle, Carmen or Gordon) but all in all the GTA series has some of the best voice acting in gaming.
  • burnstern, B Dawg, theGTAking101 and 3 others like this

xXxKAMIKAZExXx
  • xXxKAMIKAZExXx

Stunt Pilot

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:01 PM Edited by xXxKAMIKAZExXx, 10 January 2017 - 01:45 PM.

I think most voice actors in GTA pull off thir role incredibly. Roman Bellic, Ken Rosenberg, Mike Toreno, Nervous Ron, Michael De Santa, Ryder, Tommy Vercetti, Billy Grey, Bernie Crane, Trevor Phillips, Big Smoke, Lance Vance, Tenpenny... and Claude of course.

The only characters I didn't find that great were probably ones on LCS/VCS that I can't even remember. The one that sicks out the most though in my opinion is Franklin. Considering that GTA V has so many great voice actors for the smallest of roles, I just find it strange that Franklin was casted as one of the main protagonists. He's not the worst actor by any means, but I just don't buy it. His inconsistent dialect doesn't do him any favours either.

Out of all the hundreds of characters we've had, it's amazing that we haven't had more hiccups. Oh yes... I just remembered, GTA London...

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

T-bone Mendez voice acting was pretty dull.
  • Pastry likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:11 PM

Best:

Tommy
Niko
Dwayne
Rosenberg
Sonny
Salvatore
Johnny

Worst:

Trevor
Luis
CJ
Dave Norton
Tracey
Jimmy
Amanda
  • Piggsy pls, EarthGaia and LincolnClay like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:23 AM

Worst:
Trevor

wut
  • theGTAking101, slimeball supreme, Pastry and 3 others like this

eCola
  • eCola

Homie

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:56 AM Edited by Cluckin' Bell, 11 January 2017 - 02:58 AM.

I'll admit that I never found Trevor's voice acting that great either. I don't see what's appealing about "arrrrgggg its all mikeal's fault".

• Algonquin Assassin, Jeansowaty and Maibatsu545 like this

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

☭ rip sven ☭

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:19 AM

I'll admit that I never found Trevor's voice acting that great either. I don't see what's appealing about "arrrrgggg its all mikeal's fault".

The exaggeration and instability was one of the most important parts of the character. And don't tell me Ogg didn't play the role of 'unstable psychopath' well. Not to mention, you can't really fault the actor for the lines he was given.
  • Piggsy pls, Pastry, straightupmenace and 1 other like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:12 PM Edited by Piggsy pls, 11 January 2017 - 03:15 PM.

You guys act as if all Ogg did was yell the entire role. One thing V deserves praise on is the fact that the voice actors (for the most part) gave a damn good performance, some of the best in the series thus far.

Steven Ogg >>> Michael Hollick

As far as the best voice actor goes though, that definitely goes to Ned Luke. Worst would be the guy who voices Mickey in GTA III, and Debra in V.
  • Gummy  and Payne Killer like this

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade
  • India
  • Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

Best:

• Ned Luke (Michael)
  • Carl Johnson (Young Maylay)
  • Salvatore (Frank Vincent)
  • Trevor (Steven Ogg)
  • Tenpenny (Samuel L. Jackson; no argument here)

EarthGaia
  • EarthGaia

Don't mess with Cuphead!

• The Yakuza
  • Netherlands
  • Contribution Award [Music]

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Best:
-CJ
-Tommy
-Toni (LCS)
-Umberto
-Yusuf
-Woozie

Worst:
-Toni (III)
-Madd Dogg
-Luis
-Cesar
-Jethro
-Ray Machowski (III)

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

I totally love the voice of Cara Delevingne (the radio DJ of 'Non-Stop FM') in GTA V. Sexiest voice ever. :)

• theGTAking101 likes this

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:10 AM Edited by Tao Cheng, 04 March 2017 - 10:15 AM.

Best: 

Taxi Driver in GTA III 

"Get in the back AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!1111"

- This is what I think of every time I come across every incompetent taxi drivers in racing games and in real life. 

Ruslana in Vladivostok FM

- She made Hove Beach feel more authentic. 

Boy Sanchez in RISE FM 

"I hope you're having fun out there but not as fun as me.. in my room... by myself... with a plate full of drugs... again!"

- I'm straight AF but I love his flamboyancy charm. 

Chico, Maria's drug dealer in GTAIII 

"A little hmmm... some SPANK?" 

- Same as above. 

Big Smoke

- Nailed the fat man with a raspy heavy smoker voice. 

Rob Yang (Triad Boss in TBOGT and Hao in GTAV) 

- Made the Triad sound more manipulatively sophisticated and made Hao act a fool.

Badman 

"YA BOI DAT???"

Worst:

Huang Lee

"Shiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeet"

- I LMAO'd when you hear him drowning. He sounds like he's crossing his eyes when shouting that. 

Tao Cheng

"Wo cao ta ma de zhenshi shuang fanle!!!!"

- Ecstasy users do not sound cartoony and ridiculous. 

The crossdresser who tried to get Love Fist killed.

- Thick foreign accent and monotonous and it does not match his appearance although he did a splendid job voice acting Farid in Midnight Club II. 

Zero 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!11111111111111"

- His voice sounds like needles piercing through my ears. 

Mr Black 

"Get to the payphone at Washington Mall"

- Too short of a dialogue and I feel like I'm getting missions from the taxi drivers in GTAIII.

Sonny Forelli 

"Tommy Vercetti? Hah! Shiiiet!!! Denlelelelelelemau!!!!"

"TABEEEEEHH!!!! WAAAA??? No hugs for your ol buddeh????"

- Can't take him seriously. His slurred speech impediment makes me laugh. 

Auntie Poulet 

"A little juju" 

- Cool character, but I perceive her as Miss Cleo (RIP) more than Auntie Poulet. 

• Maibatsu545 likes this

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

Little Jacob - Can't even barely understand him. Could R* have had him tone down the accent at least a little bit?

Well sh*t! At this rate you might as well tell the DJ and every artist in Massive B to STFU.

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

I totally love the voice of Cara Delevingne (the radio DJ of 'Non-Stop FM') in GTA V. Sexiest voice ever. :)

Youre not alone, mate ;)

Best:
Tommy Vercetti
CJ
Niko
Johnny
Michael
Franklin
Trevor

Worst:
Luis
(Though he's a pretty cool character :))

NikoB.IV
  • NikoB.IV

NB VS ALL

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:16 PM Edited by NikoB.IV, 04 March 2017 - 01:18 PM.

Best:

Niko

Worst:

Sweet Johnson

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:14 AM

Best.
Niko
Johnny K
Luis
Toni(LCS not III)
Tommy
Trevor(only good f*cker in V)
Vic
Packie
Roman
Dwayne
Playboy X
Gerald McCreary
Billy Grey
Faustin
Salvatore
Terry & Clay
Little Jacob(dimitri snake in da grass, lmao)

Worst:
Wade

Brian Grey
  • Brian Grey

Darksider

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

Best: Eddie Low its obvious this guy lacks social understanding, empathy and has child like mannerisms.
Dimitri: Hated that guy and his voice helps show his cowardly and back stabbing nature.
Billy Grey: Loved his social manipulation and his speech about Jason.
Johnny K: Loved his faux sophisticated accent mocking that Gentleman you first meet Stubbs.
Roman Bellic: His voice is adorable.
Office Tenpeny: Is a very menacing and infurating antagonist of the series, I hated him and it shows Samuel L Jackson did a believable job.

Mixed feelings:
Niko Bellic: Has an iconic voice in the series but complaints from native serbians as being pronounced horrible.
Trevor Philipps: I like his voice but as mentioned he shouts in every scene but he can be charming when wants to be.

Worst: Not sure it was intended to dislike the character or the voice actor so I'm not sure who To mention.
  • theGTAking101 likes this

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

Straight outta Pluton's Ass

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

What about Michael Rapaport = Joey Leone? Maybe nothing special but at least a honorable mention

EkaSwede
  • EkaSwede

PC Player

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

The exaggeration and instability was one of the most important parts of the character. And don't tell me Ogg didn't play the role of 'unstable psychopath' well. Not to mention, you can't really fault the actor for the lines he was given.

While I don't like Trevor as a character, he really well acted IMO. From what I've read, the scene when he trips over the fence and chews Franklin out was apparently adlibbed by him when they were doing the scenes wearing mocap suits or something.

As for me... well... it's hard to pick which one's the best, and even harder to pick who's the worst. Sure, some characters that only had like one or two lines can't be judged too harshly since we don't have much to go on.

• Gummy  and theGTAking101 like this

EtherTakeover
  • EtherTakeover

Crackhead

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

Personally, a lot of the side characters from IV put a lot of effort into their roles, and it shows.

Roman, Dmitri, Mikhail, Playboy X, Dwayne, Manny, Derrick, Francis, The ULP guy, Darko, Little Jacob, Mallorie, Vlad, Ray, Bulgarin, Gravelli and more. There was so much passion and emotion in their delivery, some of their quotes still stick with me today. If it weren't for a lot of their performances - their characters wouldn't be nearly as impressive. Even when accents or languages were poorly delivered, the dialogue and emotion still bled through. I have nothing but praise for the voice cast.

I could say the same for the episodes. The main cast of The Lost, especially Billy and Johnny, were superbly acted. Same with characters like Gay Tony, Armando and Henrique, so on. Even GTA V had plenty of great voice talent, especially the main three, who all delivered their lines perfectly. The HD Universe games have been the best voice acted in the series, in my opinion.

And even still, I neglect to mention the 3D Universe - which also had some amazing voice acting, especially in Vice City (Ken Rosenberg, Sonny Forelli) and San Andreas (Tenpenny, Pulaski, Toreno and more).

Meanwhile, I don't know if there are really too many badly voiced characters. There was some flat delivery here and there in the earlier games, and even in the HD era (some smaller side characters like Michelle, Carmen or Gordon) but all in all the GTA series has some of the best voice acting in gaming.

What did you think of the performances for Niko and Luis.Personally I thought both of them did an amazing job,especially Michael Hollick as Niko.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

IndogamersPro
  • IndogamersPro

Busta

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

Best:

CJ
Victor Vance

Niko Bellic

Big Smoke

Michael de Santa

Zero

Worst:
Sweet Johnson

Trevor Phillips

T-Bone Mendez

..and, Claude? XD

i'm just joking at the last part of worst voice actor, don't take it too seriously :)

SonnyNapoli
  • SonnyNapoli

Wiseguy

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

Best:

Salvatore Leone

Lance Vance

Umberto Robina

Rosenberg

Tenpenny

Big Smoke

Ryder

Torino

Ray Boccino

Phil Bell

Gay Tony

Worst:

Maria Latore

Vic Vance

Gonzales

Faustin

Brian Jeremy

Luis

jaljax
  • jaljax

Taking A Liberty

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

Best:
Niko Bellic
Victor Vance
Tommy Vercetti
Toni (Gta III)
Salvatore Leone (Every appearance in 3D Era)
Lance Vance
Phil Colin's (VCS)

Worst:
Cj
GTA London 1969 Cutscene characters
(understandable though because that was back in 99)
Big Smoke
Sweet
Louise
Luiz Lopez

eCola
  • eCola

Homie

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:45 AM

There has never been a moment where I found Tracey's voice acting passable. It's like listening to fingernails screeching a chalkboard.

• Algonquin Assassin, Carbonox and theGTAking101 like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:53 AM

There has never been a moment where I found Tracey's voice acting passable. It's like listening to fingernails screeching a chalkboard.

I think Tonya's worse. Way worse. If Tracey's like listening to fingernails being dragged down a chalkboard than Tonya is that 10x whilst simultaneously being locked into a room full of screaming kids for a day.
  • theGTAking101 and eCola like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:27 AM

Claude's voice actor is my favorite, his voice fits so well with the character!

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:31 AM

How many times do fans have to make this f*cking joke?
  • jaljax and Great Britain like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:37 AM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 03 October 2017 - 02:48 AM.

How many times do fans have to make this f*cking joke?

A few thousand more.

Anyways, for real.

For protagonists, I really don't like Toni Cipriani's voice. I don't know why. Maybe it's the roughness on his voice that doesn't really fit well with the character. I will also mention the times Niko speaks in Serbian, as I heard Hollick's serbian isn't that good (understandable, since he's American, and he does an amazing job through the rest of the game). The rest that do speak, I'd say their actors were pretty fitting with the characters, and they did a good job.

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Joseph Stalin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:45 AM

Best:
Johnny Klebitz
Luis Lopez
Francis McReary
Dimitri Rascalov