Worst and Best Voice-Acted Character(s) in GTA Series

73 replies to this topic
--Vega--
  • --Vega--

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

Which character(s) in the series would you consider the best and worst voice acted and why?

Mine:

Best

Officer Tenpenny - Samuel L Jackson did a perfect job making him sound menacing and a very memorable villain.

Carl Johnson - Just a 10/10 performance, can't get any better than the job Young Maylay did and it sounds so effortless, which is really what matters

Rosenberg in VC and SA - Voice actor really brought this goofball lawyer to life and puts plenty of passion and emotion (mainly fear) into his antics

Big Smoke - Hilarious and has some of my favorite quotes during the opening missions of SA

Roman Bellic - Another one who put plenty of lively passion into his character

Salvatore Leone - Every game he appeared in, Frank Vincent nailed it

The trio of protagonists in V - All 3 feel very emotional and alive, even if R* shorted out their stories and rushed them

Worst

Luis from TBoGT - Honestly one of the worst I've ever heard. It was like the voice actor did not even give one sh*t about his job and just read directly from the script like reading a book out loud. A lot of the other characters in this game sounded the same too, with pretty much zero charisma in any of them.

Louise in VCS - Sounds terribly scripted and has a lot start-stop speech paterns

Little Jacob - Can't even barely understand him. Could R* have had him tone down the accent at least a little bit?

Majority of K-Chat in Vice City - While VCPR was a superior talk radio, K-Chat seemed like a sh*tty, jet-lagged version with low energy to match

• Osho, Maibatsu545 and xXxKAMIKAZExXx like this

Luicides
  • Luicides

I get into way to much trouble by mistake...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

I thought Luis from BOGT and GTA4 just sounded bored all the time :D

• Maibatsu545 likes this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

Tenpenny is definitely the best, the worst is Mickey Hamfists in GTA III, the guy didn't even put in any effort.

Luicides
  • Luicides

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

Tenpenny is definitely the best, the worst is Mickey Hamfists in GTA III, the guy didn't even put in any effort.

ive actualy never heard mickey talk Does he?

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:22 PM

Yep, just listen to that awful voice acting.

• Skarekrow likes this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

Michael Hollick is pretty divisive, on one hand he voiced Niko and did an excellent job with him... on the other, his serbian is decidedly awful. Every time he speaks in what's allegedly the native tongue of tye character, he just ruins Niko's credibility.

bigbigbigdaballs21
  • bigbigbigdaballs21

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

Michael Hollick is pretty divisive, on one hand he voiced Niko and did an excellent job with him... on the other, his serbian is decidedly awful. Every time he speaks in what's allegedly the native tongue of tye character, he just ruins Niko's credibility.

i know there was talk of "the guy who played sasha", whom i forget the name of, but it could have helped to actually have a serbian voice a serbian character

Skarekrow
  • Skarekrow

citizen punk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:06 AM Edited by Skarekrow, 07 January 2017 - 12:10 AM.

Yep, just listen to that awful voice acting.
https://www.youtube....h?v=CHIPqOA6fx0
Christ, whoever voiced him in GTA:III sounds like he was just reading the script for the first time. Fun fact: in LCS Hamfists is voiced by Chris Tardio who plays Sean Gismonte in The Sopranos.

Some of the better ones are:
- Tenpenny (Samuel L. Jackson)
- Tommy (Ray Liotta)
- Niko (Michael Hollick)
- CJ (Young Maylay)
- Trevor (Steven Ogg)
- Dimitri (Moti Margolin), that "See you later Niko" line was brilliant, always pissed me off.
  • Femme Fatale and LincolnClay like this

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:29 AM

Richard Bastion. The epitome of voice acting.

joyrider00
  • joyrider00

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:41 AM Edited by joyrider00, 07 January 2017 - 12:44 AM.

The overall quality of voice acting and motion capture is stellar in all GTAs imo. Many minor characters would deserve a shout-out but its hard to even pick the very best ones.

The best (or most memorable)

-Mike Toreno
-The Kibbutz Brothers
-Tenpenny
-Roman
-Claude

The worst

-Luis
-Diaz
-Cesar

(Edit) I have nothing against Latino characters lol. The performances just sounded lame when compared to other ones.

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

Best:

Lamar

Niko

Tenpenny (And this is coming from somebody who doesn't even like SA)

Roman

Trevor

Johnny

Dmitri

Devon Weston (What can I say? The voice suits the character despite how awful he is)

Worst:

Luis

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:51 AM Edited by ViceBoy69, 07 January 2017 - 12:26 PM.

Best

Tommy

Niko

Worst

CJ  

5'8
  • 5'8

Fanny Lover

• BUSTED!
  • Serbia

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:58 AM

I thought Ned Luke & Steven Ogg both done a fabulous job.

Both of the scenes in Bury the Hatchet are wonderfully voiced & acted out, best voice acting in the series In my opinion.

• Roger Cheeto likes this

straightupmenace
  • straightupmenace

Homeboy

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:06 AM Edited by ChickenAndBeer, 07 January 2017 - 02:08 AM.

Best

Tommy

Niko

Worst

CJ  sounds like a gangbanger, i remember buying the game having looked forward to it, soon as CJ spoke it spoilt the game, never played it all the way, probably never will, CJ is a crap protagonist, voiced by an idiot too,

how is Young Maylay an idiot? Are you going to elaborate on this or no?

Anyways, I'd probably have to say Niko and Trevor have the best voice actors in the series.

The worst acted would have to be Luis. He just sounds really bored most of the time tbh.

• Tao Cheng likes this

Luicides
  • Luicides

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:23 AM

Best

Tommy

Niko

Worst

CJ  sounds like a gangbanger, i remember buying the game having looked forward to it, soon as CJ spoke it spoilt the game, never played it all the way, probably never will, CJ is a crap protagonist, voiced by an idiot too,

how is Young Maylay an idiot? Are you going to elaborate on this or no?

Anyways, I'd probably have to say Niko and Trevor have the best voice actors in the series.

The worst acted would have to be Luis. He just sounds really bored most of the time tbh.

Yeah in what why is the voice actor of cj an idiot?

also isnt CJ's voice actor and Franklin's actor related?

eCola
  • eCola

Homie

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:30 AM

The character with the best voice acting is Johnny. He's a badass protagonist and his gruff voice definitely suits that trait.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:34 AM

Best - Really tough to pick one. Almost all the voice actors in 3D era have become so memorable, that its not possible for me to say, which one is the best. Samuel Jackson, Young Maylay, Ray Liotta, Clifton Powell, James Woods, Jason Zumwalt ( Roman ), etc. I could go on.. They are all amazing.

Worst - Easily, Michael Hollick. That fake accent, just terrible voice acting!

ExTerminator
  • ExTerminator

Heil Houser!

• Members
  • Iraq

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:11 AM

Worst -

B-Dup

Ryder

Ricardo Diaz

Lance Vance

Mendez brothers

Armando Torres

Luis Lopez

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:39 AM Edited by Yinepi, 07 January 2017 - 06:05 AM.

Worst:

Hossan Ramzy - While I do love his actual voice, his accent not quite like how Egyptian speak. When using a trainer and playing as him you can hear his many lines of dialogue and when he talks he correctly pronounces the P and Th sounds instead of replacing them with B and S/Z. Hossan should speak more with an accent similar to Mohammed does, only with a higher-pitched tone and heavier emphasis on the /t/ while keeping his current O emphasis and putting more of an 'Aiyee' (emphasis on the 'yee') sound to his I vowels. He should also put a minor 'e' sound before consonant clusters like 'st' (Stop = estob) and an I between consonant clusters like 'fl' (Floor = Filoar).

Anyway this just be nitpicking ... it's not the only accent Rockstar butchered in IV.

• Osho and Maibatsu545 like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:24 AM

Anyway this just be nitpicking ... it's not the only accent Rockstar butchered in IV.

Its actually very interesting to read about what you're noticing carefully and write a nice analysis that many would be able to understand. So, I don't find that nitpicking. Such posts prove very helpful.
  • Maibatsu545 and Yinepi like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:46 AM

Claude had the worst voice acting.

• (Ambient), slimeball supreme, Tao Cheng and 8 others like this

Roger Cheeto
  • Roger Cheeto

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:03 AM Edited by Rodger Cheeto, 07 January 2017 - 08:03 AM.

Worst

Well that's what he's supposed to be.

• --Vega--, The Deadite and Yinepi like this

Colonel _Cortez
  • Colonel _Cortez

Crackhead

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:53 AM Edited by Colonel _Cortez, 07 January 2017 - 05:27 PM.

I deleted my older post for beeing hostile towards ExTerminator and ViceBoy69 . I apologize a lot for disrespecting your opinions!

I think Philip Michael Thomas also did a great Job for voicing Lance Vance, especially in Vicecitystories. Even though Lance was an annoying character overall, you can hear how much erffort and emotions his voice actor put into it.

Ribsey
  • Ribsey

What are you doing, giving birth?

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

A lot of hate on Luis here...I thought he sounded appropriate for a guy surrounded by the kind of people you'd only put up with out of sentimentality and/or money. His put-downs to Mori and Evan, advice to Tony and a lot of the moments between he, Armando and Henrique have a lot behind them if you listen to the voice actor's inflections. 

The worst usually come from the earlier games, but even then I struggle to think of anybody. 

• Roger Cheeto, Tao Cheng and Neon_Dreaming like this

ProKiller93
  • ProKiller93

Space Marine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

That mexican taxi driver guy in GTA V is the worst

• theGTAking101 and Payne Killer like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

I apologise guess i went to far, im just not a fan of San Andreas, i know there are a lot of people on here who are. I purchased the game on day of release and i was disappointed it left me feeling a bit flat. I dont like how it plays or looks and i dont like the characters, it is very rare i play it anymore.

So i retract what i said before, sorry guys.

• Colonel _Cortez likes this

ExTerminator
  • ExTerminator

Heil Houser!

• Members
  • Iraq

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

How are these the worst? All of them, except Luis Lopez sounded really authentic. Some people in this forum are just...

You should probably get your ears checked out, because they did not sound 'authentic'. 

• --Vega-- and Yinepi like this

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade
  • European-Union

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Worst

CJ was suppose to be a gangbanger, this is what GTA SanAndreas was about, the gangster-rap culture from the early 90s and Young Maylay did a great Job voicing him. And why is he an idiot? Do you even know what you are talking about? Jeez what a stupid post!

Anyway i think Philip Michael Thomas also did a great Job for voicing Lance Vance, especially in Vicecitystories. Even though Lance was an annoying character overall, you can hear how much erffort and emotions his voice actor put into it.

Worst -

B-Dup

Ryder

Ricardo Diaz

Lance Vance

Mendez brothers

Armando Torres

Luis Lopez

How are these the worst? All of them, except Luis Lopez sounded really authentic. Some people in this forum are just...

Forgive him for having a different opinion than you have.

Biira99
  • Biira99

Queen bee

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

It's hard to choose, since most of the voice acting in GTA games is really on point.

I loved Tenpenny and Rosenberg as well. I also like most characters' voices from IV.

For worst, I would have to choose Luis. While I liked the vibe of TBoGT, Luis's voice and character lacked uniqueness the other protagonists had.

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

Most of them have great voice acting. But CJ's voice actor does sound like he was trying so hard to act hood. Even though the actor is from the hood.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users