Photo

GTA IV Stuttering on relatively high end PC

5 replies to this topic
NehruvianBishop
  • NehruvianBishop

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:01 PM Edited by NehruvianBishop, 05 January 2017 - 11:04 PM.

I have been trying to play GTA IV on PC, but I have been having stuttering issues. The stuttering mostly happens when moving the camera around or moving Niko around. Other than the stuttering, the game runs fine. I have tried tweaking the settings from all the way up to all the way down, and to no avail. Is there any way to fix this? 

Note: The game ran okay on my older graphics card, which was an AID Radeon R9 270 if that matters. 

MY SPECS: 

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960

RAM: 16 GB

AndyC1992
  • AndyC1992

Discoverin'.

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:57 PM Edited by AndyC1992, 22 January 2017 - 01:38 AM.

The game is supposed to be known for being seriously unoptimised. Specifically, no matter how high-end your PC is, the game will never be able to run smoothly at all.

I've already seen a couple of these about the same problem, so try look around in the forums before posting next time. Nevertheless, one of the most well-known workarounds will be using the commandline.

Not to forget, since your graphics card is a Nvidia card, take a look at this as well.

None of these methods will ever magically improve your performance in a drastic rate, but they can do their part for a bit.

• dk4gta and Dercar32 like this

Gunnalingus
  • Gunnalingus

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Big f*cking deal! These rich folks cry about a slightest performance drop which is normal in PC games. Texture quality has no impact on performance. You most likely have shadows, night shadows on very high - set them on high instead. You also probably have view distance maxed out. View distance can make the game really slow, slower than it needs to be. Turn  view distance down, if your rich ass can handle it.

Having vsync on is recommended too because it makes game run more stable.

Andy - you are wrong saying that it is impossible to get GTAIV to run well. f*ck off with your commandline sh*t. If you turn down settings, GTAIV runs perfectly - even on low end systems.

• Street Mix likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

It was mine, Cactus Wine!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

The only thing that kills FPS for me is Night Shadows, at least on 1.0.7.0 version. Otherwise, everything else is Maxed out.

AndyC1992
  • AndyC1992

Discoverin'.

• Members
  • Malaysia

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:20 PM Edited by AndyC1992, 01 February 2017 - 12:26 PM.

Big f*cking deal! These rich folks cry about a slightest performance drop which is normal in PC games. Texture quality has no impact on performance. You most likely have shadows, night shadows on very high - set them on high instead. You also probably have view distance maxed out. View distance can make the game really slow, slower than it needs to be. Turn  view distance down, if your rich ass can handle it.

Having vsync on is recommended too because it makes game run more stable.

Andy - you are wrong saying that it is impossible to get GTAIV to run well. f*ck off with your commandline sh*t. If you turn down settings, GTAIV runs perfectly - even on low end systems.

Do cool down with your words, Mr. Dollar. We don't need an unnecessary argument here.

For the commandline, it's one of the most well-known methods of stabilising the performance among the community. And yes, it's true that lowering the settings may indeed make the game smoother, but even then, there's no full guarantee to that. Some places can cause the framerate to dip down in a sudden rate, especially Chinatown and Union Drive.

For the Night Shadows, I would say to turn it off. Even Night Shadows at Medium will be enough to make the entire game stutter.

Regardless, it's inevitable that GTA IV suffered a bad PC port.

X-Vector
  • X-Vector

Knight Who Says Nay

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Turn Clip Capture off if you don't use it; no guarantees but it made my game run a lot smoother.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users