GTAForums Census 2017 Results

117 replies to this topic
Urban Legends
  • Urban Legends

Innocent Hood

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:22 AM

Hope I vote in the next one. Interesting sub sections with many more questions to ask.

• trip likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

lmao @ gtao favourite gta. 

The future of gaming.   :barf: Kind of like a post-apocalyptic future.  

Who needs stories?  Stories are overrated.  Protagonists are overrated.  Antagonists are overrated.  

Just give us a map with a full complement of unbalanced weapons along with frustrating, illogical, exploitable gameplay rules, and we're all good.  

• B Dawg, Killerman29, Shaundi. and 3 others like this

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

lmao @ gtao favourite gta. 

The future of gaming.   :barf: Kind of like a post-apocalyptic future.  

Who needs stories?  Stories are overrated.  Protagonists are overrated.  Antagonists are overrated.  

Just give us a map with a full complement of unbalanced weapons along with frustrating, illogical, exploitable gameplay rules, and we're all good.  

Hope R* stay clear of this in rdr2 and just include a regular online like the original. 

• saintsrow likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:41 AM

The disaparity between GTAO and GTA V is hilarious. GTA V went backwards compared to the last census. I think it was 4th. Now it's 5th.:lol:

Glad Niko won best protagonist again. :)
  • ChengizVlad09 likes this

Arkapil455
  • Arkapil455

gta modder

• Members
  • India

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

I have all GTA game from GTA1-GTAO
But GTA San Andreas is one I liked most.
I liked it is No.1
  • saintsrow likes this

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:43 AM

HOW DID GTA ONLINE GET FIRST PLACE. HOW!!

• saintsrow, Payne Killer, DeeDogg_ and 2 others like this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Most Creative [Writing] 2016
    Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

HOW DID GTA ONLINE GET FIRST PLACE. HOW!!

Because it's really popular...
  • ragedandcaged likes this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

The way I look at the "favorite category" is this:
- Online got the popular vote as the best multiplayer experience
- The outstanding GTA SA got the popular vote as the best single player experience in the series.
- GTA IV and GTA V failed to beat GTA SA for the second time in a row, and will remain defeated for many long years.

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

- GTA IV and GTA V failed to beat GTA SA for the second time in a row, and will remain defeated for many long years.

wait why are you acting like this is a big contest that decides that true best game in the series

it's a popularity census on a web forum

• MiamiViceCity, Pastry and ChickenAndBeer like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

Also most people would agree that GTAO and GTA V are pretty much one and the same so I'm not sure how V loses to SA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • saintsrow, MiamiViceCity and Mr. Fartenhate like this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:05 PM Edited by saintsrow, 11 January 2017 - 09:06 PM.

Also most people would agree that GTAO and GTA V are pretty much one and the same so I'm not sure how V loses to SA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is an observation of an interesting result.  

Possibly GTA0 popularity is more based on the masterpiece virtual world and vehicle design of GTAV, which it shares.  GTAO gets the benefit of GTAV's incredibly good open world design.

But maybe people feel the GTAV story is inferior to previous stories, seeing as how it was apparently mashed together by committee, like most big movies are made, and furthermore, it seemed like it was positioned to be tutorial and background for the real moneymaker, GTA0.  

Past GTA's needed a good story, because the story was the game.  

With GTA0, nobody needs a story any more.  

Arrow
  • Arrow

Void Walker

• Members
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:31 AM Edited by Arrow, 12 January 2017 - 01:33 AM.

It took years before people started San Andreas from Vice City or GTA III. Also, San Andreas was released 12 years ago and considering that GTA V has been around for 3 Years, I'd say it's fairly early and would take some more years for GTA V to develop an even wider fan base with time.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Been saving it for a rainy day...

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

Disappointed at how GTA Online is favourite GTA, yuck  :facedesk:

And how come Devin Weston got 3rd place and not Lance Vance? Really?

• saintsrow, Still Madd and UltraZ like this

Mr_Human_Guy
  • Mr_Human_Guy

Gringo with Chainsaw

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Heyy shout out to the 66 other ausbros

ddd.jpg
  • MiamiViceCity likes this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

FURIOUS STYLES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

Glad GTAO won.  Still love playing it.

caz95
  • caz95

Common Criminal

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

good job, never noticed how unloved the Xbox One is

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

Jesus Christ...GTA Online won favorite GTA?

• saintsrow and UltraZ like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

I don't see why people are surprised GTA Online won best GTA? Weren't you around for the last census? :p
What does surprise me is Devin Weston winning 3rd best antagonist, tf is that? If any antagonist from V was gonna win third place, it should've at least been Haines.

Then again, I imagine the demographic that voted for him are largely the same demographic that voted for Online as the best GTA.

Anyway, great census guys!
  • saintsrow likes this

quxxo
  • quxxo

Kaz Fiddler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:08 PM Edited by quxxo, 18 January 2017 - 05:11 PM.

poland got 9th* place. Poland stronk. GTA is pretty popular here.

albanyave
  • albanyave

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

Great job guys. Didn't know GTA Online had that much steam though. I think there are more females on the Forum than the graphic portrayed. It's fun playing with the ladies.

The_GTA
  • The_GTA

revenclaw

• Members
  • Germany
  • Modding Milestone [Magic.TXD]

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

I am happy with the results because it displays our modding section in a better light than last time. :)
  • saintsrow and Still Madd like this

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:34 AM

Glad to see SA still rocking it after all these years!

Good work on the census again. Keep it up!

• Arrow likes this

Sprunkadelic
  • Sprunkadelic

IlikeScotland, IloveScotland

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:42 AM Edited by Sprunkadelic, 19 January 2017 - 10:43 AM.

So..this place is a sasuage fest, GTA online is the most popular GTA , and the amount of new users skyrocketed after the release of GTA V.

gross.

• saintsrow, UltraZ and GTAUrbanCamping like this

GTAUrbanCamping
  • GTAUrbanCamping

Urban Camper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

Sad GTA Online won. I like some features of it, but wouldnt say its the best. I may give up on GTA. I will have to take some time to think about this.

Dash5155
  • Dash5155

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

A lot of people are upset that GTA online won, but look at the demographics. A lot of the members of the forums are younger than 20. Meaning 13 years ago, when San Andreas first came out, these guys were younger than 7. It's likely that the first GTA they played was probably IV then they went back to play the others just to see what they were like. They simply didn't make the connection to the game that we did because more than likely they didn't play it until after the fact.

I can understand, because when I was 13, I played Super Mario Bros for the NES for the first time, but since I already played Super Mario 64 at the age of 6, and Super Mario Sunshine at the age of 9 all the older titles just seemed dull to me (except world, I thought that was the most HD Mario game ever at that point). However everyone who was of age for the hype of Super Mario Bros would say the newer titles don't even compare, but again since I never got to experience when that game was the only Mario game I simply do not get the appeal. Heck I don't even feel that was the best Mario title on the NES.

I know we're talking about GTA, but I was about 15 when I first played San Andreas; 13 when I first played Vice City (although I only played for about an hour before I got frustrated at the riot mission because the instructions vanished on the Xbox version and I had no idea what to do), so I had enough of a connection to those games to have a bit of a nostalgic connection to them to be a bit biased.

Now add in the fact that a lot of PC gamers are obsessed (sorry, there's no other word to describe it) with obtaining the best possible graphics in games, the people who are over 20 who voted GTA V/GTA Online more than likely voted for the reason that there's better graphics than the previous titles.

Finally, let's look at what the vanilla games have to offer. In San Andreas, you have a linear story mode, a few side missions, and a crapton of side quests. Once you beat them all that's it for things to do in San Andreas unless you set challenges for yourself. However in GTA Online, even if you somehow manage to progress to the top of the charts somehow, there's always something new to do or something new being added. Plus you're playing with other people. You will never have the exact same experience twice, and you can't speed run the game simply because you know the patterns. It's challenging and will always be so.

• Mister Pink and slohbur like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Now add in the fact that a lot of PC gamers are obsessed (sorry, there's no other word to describe it) with obtaining the best possible graphics in games, the people who are over 20 who voted GTA V/GTA Online more than likely voted for the reason that there's better graphics than the previous titles.

I don't think so..

Its not necessarily because of the graphics (or even the age, for that matter )
Players are not so naive that they can't understand the simple difference between what gives them maximum fun for their money, and what doesn't. There are many open world single player games which STILL manage to appeal those same kids and many young players, despite the absence of a strong multiplayer like Online, and graphics like GTA V.

The problem is that Single player in HD Era simply failed at being fun, and even exciting as Online.

FUN has regressed instead of advancing despite the millions of dollars of budget for making them.

R* is releasing the same GTA with the RAGE engine that they have been doing since GTA III, only this time the HD GTA's have slightly better story and beautiful graphics, but less features without making them feel very different and fun than the 3D GTA's.

It looks like people are just fed up with playing GTA's Rockstar are releasing in HD Era that feels very outdated in content and features, and not really impressive when it comes to having FUN in single player outside the story.

I guess that's why GTA SA is still popular even after so many years because of its simplistic, yet fun single player with tons of things to do, and plenty of ways to play. Rockstar had a "balanced" approach in making GTA SA strong enough to carry the tradition of enjoying single player gaming without any need for Online, or DLC's or any kind of trophies and achievements to make the players return.

Rockstar seems more interested in evolving Online ( that no one wanted in the first place ), as opposed to making the core gameplay in SP more enjoyable and varied outside the story.

The blame should also go to those who are ruining the series by pretending that GTA is all about the STORY since they don't know what fun feels like, and assume you are a "kid" or a "casual' if you don't want GTA to be taken SO seriously that it starts losing what made them fun in the first place, instead of becoming too concerned about the story, cutscenes and emotional characters in them.

Online deserves to claim a top spot for what GTA 4 / 5 failed to offer.
  • Stellasin likes this

Stellasin
  • Stellasin

Youtube Gamer

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:06 PM Edited by Stellasin, 21 January 2017 - 06:08 PM.

Rockstar seems more interested in evolving Online ( that no one wanted in the first place ), as opposed to making the core gameplay in SP more enjoyable and varied outside the story.

I completely agree with this. I never got the fun of single player of San Andreas in GTA V. San Andreas had a better location, better story and some other stuff that GTA V missed. For example eating food to get fat, going to the gym to get buffed up or staying skinny. You had much better radio's, more challenging missions like "Wrong Side of the Tracks" which I tried 20+ times to finish it and so on. Rockstar is becoming more like Battlefield now. Concentrating more on Multiplayer than Single Player.

By the way nice article on PC's Osho. I'm a PC Gamer myself.

• saintsrow likes this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:11 PM Edited by Jabalous, 25 January 2017 - 06:23 PM.

Good results!

Spoiler

I'm trying to experiment with spoilers tag.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users