Victor Vance doesn't fit in the storyline

25 replies to this topic
Colonel _Cortez
  • Colonel _Cortez

Crackhead

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Don't get me wrong, i really liked Vic as protagonist. He was very charismatic and relatable. But i think he is way too nice in the game. He always complains about dealing with drugs and getting involved with crimes and at the same time he runs around like a walking genocide and builds an entire crime empire across Vicecity based on drug trafficking, prostitution and robbery.

It just feels like you are playing a total different protagonist once the cutscene ends.

Two And Three
  • Two And Three

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

Nah, he is awesome!

• Honker1944 and Colonel _Cortez like this

Pastry
  • Pastry

im fed up with this worl

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

Don't get me wrong, i really liked Vic as protagonist. He was very charismatic and relatable. But i think he is way too nice in the game. He always complains about dealing with drugs and getting involved with crimes and at the same time he runs around like a walking genocide and builds an entire crime empire across Vicecity based on drug trafficking, prostitution and robbery.

It just feels like you are playing a total different protagonist once the cutscene ends.

You could say the exact same thing about Niko and Michael.

• Tomasak, TheSadisticOwl, Honker1944 and 3 others like this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:47 AM

I agree with this. You could say the gameplay after the story is non canon and that he sells the bussines after the game. After all he did what he did to help his family.

But VC destroys this theory.

• Colonel _Cortez likes this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

bummed

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:42 PM Edited by Mr. Fartenhate, 06 January 2017 - 03:43 PM.

You could say the exact same thing about Niko and Michael.

Barely. I think Niko only really talks about how he hates killing and sh*t - like - two or three times? Maybe four?

But the different protagonist during cutscenes thing? Totally. That's the same with pretty much every GTA, though.
  • ChickenAndBeer, JacquesRenault and Colonel _Cortez like this

Achlys
  • Achlys

Rawr

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

R* should've chosen a different protagonist tbh, what's the point of playing as a character that you know is going to die anyway?
  • Dream-_-Traveler likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

Vic was a little wimp. Phil would've been cooler to play. Which would make sense because in III you got missions from the protagonist of LCS, and it'd be cool if they continued it into VCS, playing as a former mission giver.
  • B Dawg, Tomasak, Achlys and 3 others like this

Achlys
  • Achlys

Rawr

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

Vic was a little wimp. Phil would've been cooler to play. Which would make sense because in III you got missions from the protagonist of LCS, and it'd be cool if they continued it into VCS, playing as a former mission giver.

Yeah, and it would've been cool to see the skinny guy becomes a fat guy thing again.
  • Payne Killer likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Victory for modding!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

Or Umberto! :p

piko
  • piko

100% or nothing

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

Agreed. I would've much preferred playing as Lance.

Paul72
  • Paul72

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:24 AM

You wanna play as a cokehead?

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:28 AM

You wanna play as a cokehead?

With all due respect, Lance's coke addiction is much tamer than what you would see from Mr. Trevor Philips.

• universetwisters and GTA-Biker like this

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:27 AM

The problem is not with the narrative but it's with the gameplay.

WE are the players, WE take control of the protagonists anywhere outside a cutscene. WE can make it do anything we want and that's the problem. It makes EVERY single protagonist out of character.

Steezy.
  • Steezy.

Dimension Shifter

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

Well, that's kinda the narrative of Vic's story. He means well, and he tries to do what's best for him and his family. But due to his bad luck and his cokehead brother Lance he's always getting into deep sh*t.

However, Vic IS a criminal. He admits to this. That's why he freely takes over Marty's empire (which at the time only consisted of small time protection rackets,prostitution,and loan sharing). He's just not a drug dealer. He doesn't like dealing with drugs because they cause too much problems, his mother and his brother are drug addicts. But he starts working with Lance, Diaz, and the Mendez brothers and he doesn't really have much of a choice.

I like to think that after Louise dies he just kinda says 'f*ck it' and takes over all the empires and becomes a drug kingpin. Then he gets fatter and grows hair and becomes the guy we see in VC. Louise's death was the turning point for Vic.
  • Jeansowaty and Grandtheftzach like this

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

The Protectors

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:47 AM

Or playing as Ricardo Diaz.

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

Yeah? Well, this is a public execution.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:10 PM Edited by Still Madd, 06 April 2017 - 02:11 PM.

The character is introduced into this way of life/plot, don't get me wrong but this applies to so many other games. The character suits the plot more and more as the storyline is developed. A case similar to Vic Vance is Jason from Far Cry 3.

Plus, you were supposed to play as a military soldier but out of nowhere you got kicked from it, obviously you start misfit but then you go gaining knowledge.

• Payne Killer, Platybus and Steezy. like this

gluserty
  • gluserty

GTA enthusiast

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:57 AM

I think the Vic Vance character was Rockstar's dry run for Nico Bellic, creating a character with more personal depth who talked in an everyday way, but existing in an extraordinary universe (CJ from the San Andreas game was similar, but still more light-hearted in some ways, while I think Vic & Nico are quite serious & dark). I can understand why many people feel Vic is too wishy-washy or wimpy, but I also see him as a self-aware character who just does what he has to do, albeit reluctantly. I like Vic, I find him relatable, and I also think his one- liners when he points guns at people are amusing.

• Gummy  and Sumitaser like this

GettheTrainCJ
  • GettheTrainCJ

Train Chaser

• Members
  • South-Korea

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

Totally agree with it. It would have been better if the protagonist was Phil. Oh well, I don't prefer a miserable alcoholic to Vic but Vic doesn't seem to suit to that role at all.

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:23 AM

R* should've chosen a different protagonist tbh, what's the point of playing as a character that you know is going to die anyway?

Vic is a jerk in game he deserves to be tag, i don't want no Vic to be a protag.;
Vic is better off stiff and a villain.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:49 AM

Lance Vance would have been awesome but as we saw during the story and in Vice City he was kind of an idiot and would have gotten in even more trouble if he was in charge.

Ricardo Diaz would be fun playing as a short fat man in Vice City lol

Achlys
  • Achlys

Rawr

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:02 AM Edited by Achlys, 21 April 2017 - 05:09 AM.

Vic is a jerk in game he deserves to be tag, i don't want no Vic to be a protag.;
Vic is better off stiff and a villain.

gluserty
  • gluserty

GTA enthusiast

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

The character for me that I would've liked to play as other than Vic would be Bryan Forbes. Rework his story a little bit, but still have him work for the DEA (but the player doesn't know this right away, because Forbes is really under), then the Vance brothers can be prominent side characters (a mission like 'Caught As an Act' could survive, just reworked), and having a shady guy who's half law and half criminal would be something new for a GTA protagonist.

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:43 AM

He fits in with the story, it's just one problem and it's his hypocrite attitude during the game. meaning he doesn't want to do the drug deals or be a drug dealer then a minute later he's doing them. Some of it makes sense though because he's doing it all for his family , but it also doesn't make sense either... 

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:43 AM

The character for me that I would've liked to play as other than Vic would be Bryan Forbes. Rework his story a little bit, but still have him work for the DEA (but the player doesn't know this right away, because Forbes is really under), then the Vance brothers can be prominent side characters (a mission like 'Caught As an Act' could survive, just reworked), and having a shady guy who's half law and half criminal would be something new for a GTA protagonist.

Sounds a lot like the Sonny Burnett storyline from Miami Vice

• gluserty and jaljax like this

gluserty
  • gluserty

GTA enthusiast

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

Sounds a lot like the Sonny Burnett storyline from Miami Vice

Yeah, I suppose it does; Forbes reminds me of Crockett/Burnett a little anyway (especially his clothing), plus I've re-watched that awesome series numerous times, so I like the comparison.

Mister Leone
  • Mister Leone

Fuschia Butterflies

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

I look at Vic as a self aware, walking contradiction who wants a way out but doesn't see one without the killing. It's a more barebones version of Niko's internal struggles with his actions.
  • Payne Killer and Steezy. like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users