Photo

Should I get more RAM?

17 replies to this topic
JakeRS
  • JakeRS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

I currently have a decent Celeron G1610 CPU, its 2 core, but judging by the cpu boss website comparisons, it beats even some 4 core cpu's and when I play GTA V, it usually goes around 70-95%, very rarely 98%, my graphics card is 2gb Radeon hd 7 thousand something and its also nice.

The thing that worries me is my RAM, it is only 4 GB, 1600 CL11. My system uses about 1 gigabyte, sometimes even 2 gigabytes when I leave it on for a longer time, so GTA V only has about 2.5 gigabytes free to use and generally it runs ok, but every 10, 20 seconds I get a small FPS drop, which is a big problem if I am driving fast, so would 8gb RAM at least partially fix that?

The two things however that confuse me are the fact that my system, plus GTA V use max 3.8 gigabytes, no matter how much I force it, teleport, spawn a bunch of cars,etc, It just doesn't go more than 3,8GB, so I am not even sure whether the usage would be larger if I had a new RAM, because the 3.8 gigabytes is some sort of a safety limit or what or would it also just be around 3.8 even with 8gb of RAM, the other thing that worries me is this, http://www.hardwares...-performance/5/, they tested 4, 8 and 16GB ram and 8 actually had a lot smaller FPS than 4GB, god knows how, so what should I do?

quantRAMgh05.gif

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Drunk on Power

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

The rule of thumb- if it isn't broke, don't fix it--- if you are happy with how the system performs with 4GB than leave it alone.

That being said, you should get better overall system performance with more

Realize that your system does not just use physical RAM-- so the fact that it is "using" 3.8 GB most likely means that it is using all of our physcial RAM and is utizing more of your Virtual Memory (ie Paging file)-- the limitation of the paging file is your hard drive speed-- so if you have solid state drive, it's use would be less noticeable than with a standard drive.

For more information on this, this article gives a pretty good overview of what a paging file is and how to tweak it for better system performance (if you are having issues) -- http://www.online-te...he-paging-file/

Specifically from that article---

So the best solution is to create on paging file on the boot partition that will take care in case of a crash and create another paging file on a separate partition on a DIFFERENT hard drive preferably. If you only have one hard drive on your computer, then just create another paging file on a different partition. Windows automatically uses the paging file that is on the less accessed partition using an internal algorithm.

Even more ideal would be if you could put the paging file in it’s own partition with no other data. This ensures that the paging file will never become fragmented and hence performance will be better. If it’s on a drive that has other data and the paging file must be expanded and if there is other data current stored, the file will become fragmented.

Another way to reduce fragmentation of the paging file is to set the initial and maximum sizes to the same number. What this does is ensure that the file does not grow or shrink and therefore will not fragment. However, you should defragment the hard drive before doing this to ensure the paging file is altogether on the hard drive.

I've also read that GTA V does not "like" virtual memory, so some people with 12 or 16 GBs of RAM run the game WITHOUT a paging file-- this forces the game to utilize ONLY the physical memory and gives them better performance--- I WOULD NOT DO THIS WITH ONLY 4GB of RAM.

Since you are not really having any "problems"-- Moving this to the PC section for greater visibility and hopefully more opinions than just mine.

HTH... 
  • BenMillard likes this

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:52 PM Edited by Crystal3lf, 03 January 2017 - 05:54 PM.

Your CPU does not meet minimum requirements, your GPU probably only just meets minimum requirements, and your RAM only just meets minimum requirements. If you want it to run any better you would need to turn all settings to the lowest, or get that really low quality mod.

More RAM won't help because it will just be bottle-necked by the CPU/GPU. What you should do first is get a better 1155 socket CPU(i5-2500k, i7-2600k), and a decent GPU(GTX-760+), then after that upgrade your RAM.

swebarb
  • swebarb

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

8GB ram for this game is min, the more the better u cant go wrong. stutter is the worst sh*t ever so annoying its easy fix.

JakeRS
  • JakeRS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

Your CPU does not meet minimum requirements, your GPU probably only just meets minimum requirements, and your RAM only just meets minimum requirements. If you want it to run any better you would need to turn all settings to the lowest, or get that really low quality mod.

More RAM won't help because it will just be bottle-necked by the CPU/GPU. What you should do first is get a better 1155 socket CPU(i5-2500k, i7-2600k), and a decent GPU(GTX-760+), then after that upgrade your RAM.

I wouldn't be so sure about the CPU and GPU, specially about the GPU, it says that the minimum requirement is a 1gb Radeon HD  4870 and I have a 2gb vx3d Radeon 7 thousand something, pixel and vertex shaders are both version 5.0 as required by the game and the graphics settings in the game say that I am barely using half of the GPU power that I could, the CPU however is a little weaker compared to the higher end series I admit, but as I said it beats a lot of 4 core cpu's and I usually have around 20% of cpu power remaining even when running GTA V in medium settings, with some of them set to even high settings (I think waves and reflections)

So the game itself is not the problem, the problem is with the memory, if I have just turned on my computer, so when there are no programs that accumulated all sorts of cache, then I can have GTA V running on those medium settings for even 5 or 10 minutes without a single stutter, driving fast, driving a chopper, shooting and so on, the problem is that after some time, let's say 20, 30 minutes or when I start the game after the computer was turned on for too long, the game starts to slow down a lot, so much that I can't play for half a minute without a lag or big fps drop, so I guess that I probably should buy more RAM, it's not expensive and after all, if it somehow makes the game run worse, I can simply take it out, if it doesn't help GTA V, it should help when I look at HD videos on the browser and stuff like that.

Crystal3lf
  • Crystal3lf

( ͡ ͜°ʖ͡°)

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:49 PM Edited by Crystal3lf, 04 January 2017 - 04:54 PM.

If you buy more RAM the exact same problem will occur. Nothing will help until you upgrade your CPU/GPU, which are far more important than your RAM.

Your CPU does not meet minimum requirements.
http://www.cpubenchm...1819&cmp[]=1038

mahanddeem
  • mahanddeem

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:50 AM

I wouldn't be so sure about the CPU and GPU, specially about the GPU, it says that the minimum requirement is a 1gb Radeon HD  4870 and I have a 2gb vx3d Radeon 7 thousand something, pixel and vertex shaders are both version 5.0 as required by the game and the graphics settings in the game say that I am barely using half of the GPU power that I could, the CPU however is a little weaker compared to the higher end series I admit, but as I said it beats a lot of 4 core cpu's and I usually have around 20% of cpu power remaining even when running GTA V in medium settings, with some of them set to even high settings (I think waves and reflections)

So the game itself is not the problem, the problem is with the memory, if I have just turned on my computer, so when there are no programs that accumulated all sorts of cache, then I can have GTA V running on those medium settings for even 5 or 10 minutes without a single stutter, driving fast, driving a chopper, shooting and so on, the problem is that after some time, let's say 20, 30 minutes or when I start the game after the computer was turned on for too long, the game starts to slow down a lot, so much that I can't play for half a minute without a lag or big fps drop, so I guess that I probably should buy more RAM, it's not expensive and after all, if it somehow makes the game run worse, I can simply take it out, if it doesn't help GTA V, it should help when I look at HD videos on the browser and stuff like that.

JakeRS you ABSOLUTELY seem not to know what you're talking about and completely clueless regarding computers.
Don't take it personal please. Your weak CPU (as well as the "many quad cores that your cpu beats) are all BELOW the minimum game requirements.
The ingame settings bar is not the GPU power, it's the meter of used video memory by the game.
Finally, more ram will ABSOLUTELY add ZERO advantage to your computer running GTA V. Don't waste money on RAM. Upgrade your weak cpu and weak gpu first, if you're willing to enhance gta v experience.

Suprix
  • Suprix

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:44 PM Edited by Suprix, 05 January 2017 - 12:46 PM.

The stutter problem that happens after a while is a ram problem. GTA on normal settings uses 4.3-4.7gb, so 4gb is not enough and it will stutter. But weak cpus can also cause stutter (nvidia Gpus use less cpu power on dx11, with a radeon and a weak cpu is better to use 10 or 10.1). Adding more ram will help this guy, but it may not be a total fix.

Of course the game will use less than 4gb of ram if you don't have more, it did the same to me. After I got an extra 2gb the stutter went away (I have an old xeon quad core). 5gb should be the absolute min.

• BenMillard likes this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

Some people in here are a bit confused about PC RAM and GPU RAM... PC RAM is worth less then sh*t to this game. I played it with 4,8 and now 16 gb and seen no difference.
Massive increase of detail every time i got a better GPU.
Massive increase of FPS going from dual to quad core CPU.

Any other upgrade will just be peanuts, and upgrading one part without the others will get you no visible improvments.
  • BenMillard likes this

swebarb
  • swebarb

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Yes of course u need a decent cpu and gpu card along with ram kinda obvious.

DjVirusss
  • DjVirusss

Player Hater

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

4 gb's of RAM it's starting to be so low these days, hence it's so cheap to get 4 gb more.

MN8R01
  • MN8R01

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:27 PM Edited by MN8R01, 03 February 2017 - 07:27 PM.

I currently have a decent Celeron G1610 CPU, its 2 core, but judging by the cpu boss website comparisons, it beats even some 4 core cpu's and when I play GTA V, it usually goes around 70-95%, very rarely 98%, my graphics card is 2gb Radeon hd 7 thousand something and its also nice.

The thing that worries me is my RAM, it is only 4 GB, 1600 CL11. My system uses about 1 gigabyte, sometimes even 2 gigabytes when I leave it on for a longer time, so GTA V only has about 2.5 gigabytes free to use and generally it runs ok, but every 10, 20 seconds I get a small FPS drop, which is a big problem if I am driving fast, so would 8gb RAM at least partially fix that?

The two things however that confuse me are the fact that my system, plus GTA V use max 3.8 gigabytes, no matter how much I force it, teleport, spawn a bunch of cars,etc, It just doesn't go more than 3,8GB, so I am not even sure whether the usage would be larger if I had a new RAM, because the 3.8 gigabytes is some sort of a safety limit or what or would it also just be around 3.8 even with 8gb of RAM, the other thing that worries me is this, http://www.hardwares...-performance/5/, they tested 4, 8 and 16GB ram and 8 actually had a lot smaller FPS than 4GB, god knows how, so what should I do?

quantRAMgh05.gif

The issue you speak of is due to the mega textures in the game. When those 4096 candy wrappers on the street show near say a 4096 fire hydrant the cpu and gpu bottleneck.
One resolve is GTA V RE-Sized Mod.
It improves gameplay without any noticeable downgrading.
In fact the Mod required you up your texture and grass settings to get it's benefit.
Check it out as it has helped 1000's to improve their GTA V experience.
Peace.

Mexicola9302
  • Mexicola9302

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

I need 8.5 GB of ram playing in 2160p the game is kinda heavy.

Cpt.ben
  • Cpt.ben

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

I would recommend to upgrade GPU/CPU since RAM doesn't do much to game as its purpose is to allow programs to do more things.

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:38 AM

Mine performs better in every way going from 8gb to 16gb, not just gta v, which also performs a lot better and stopped having random crashes.

The settings you use with that cpu and gpu, though, probably don't push your ram up too high, unless you too suffer from frequent crashes.

What level is your ram? DDR2, DDR3, DDR4?

If it's DDR2, don't bother, it's super expensive because sellers know that it's the only valid upgrade path for old systems, you're better off upgrading the whole box and spending 1/4 as much on some newer ram.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:13 PM Edited by BenMillard, 15 March 2017 - 12:14 PM.

For what it's worth, with GTA 5 running and a few things in the background my GL702 uses about 9GB out of 16GB.

With nothing* runnig in the background, GTA5 it uses at least 6GB of RAM. High detail for everything and 1080p. i7-7700HQ CPU simply walks through the game, 20-40% usage depending on scene.

NVMe storage drive means I never, ever, see any popup. A moment of stutter can be traced back to Windows Update or other background task kicking off. If you have standard spinning storage and get stutter when driving fast, that could be an issue. Upgrading my 2010 laptop from standard HDD to a fairly cheap 500GB SATA 2 SSD made faster than a Mac from 2012. It walks through anything I do on the desktop with just 4GB of RAM since the pagefile (mentioned earlier) is so much faster.

If your laptop always slows after about 30 minutes and gets worse, it sounds like overheating. Running an old CPU  at 80% in a laptop is probably getting too hot. Try cleaning all the vents - switch it off and use a vaccum cleaner brush after earthing everything to discharge any static. If you're happy to open it up, you will probably find a lot of dust that needs to be cleaned out for it to cool properly.

My 2010 laptop would run GTASA at medium settings easily. Certain settings like shadows killed performance. If you tend to start the game in LS and gradually move out into the countryside, it might be the grass detail setting slowing your system down.

*Nearly impossible with Windows 10. Got it running nicely after a year of tinkering on the 2010 laptop.

MechanicMammal
  • MechanicMammal

Trick

• Members

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Yeah sounds like over heating to me, And it sounds like the processor that is causing it, I do not want to be unkind but it is not really up to the job GTA seems to like a Quad core or at the least 4 threads. The Celeron is definitely a entry level CPU.

The GPU is not that bad but it is also not that good,  with a better processor to back it up it should be OK for Med maybe a few High settings.

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

Honestly, let's just look at the title "should I get more ram?"

Yes, that is ALWAYS the answer to the question "should i get more ram". Always.

ALways.

Even if op needs to blow dust out or get better cooling in general, the fact of the matter ,and end thread is "YES, if you can get more RAM, YOU SHOULD" <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users