Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why rdr2 not as highly anticipated as gta?

79 replies to this topic
saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:42 AM Edited by saintsrow, 16 February 2017 - 03:42 AM.

RDR can never beat GTA. 3rd game will be good, online will be good, but not great. And you'll quickly be reminded of how fun limiting the old west is with no fast guns or fast cars and aircraft. They'll kill the limited old west map by making everyone's icons show up, so theres no way to get lost in the maps, and no sense of real danger lurking around the bend if you dont know if its AI or player danger you'll run into. To make online old west have more playability, they'll really need to get a little sim-ish to appeal to the game's fans. Not The Sims, Im talking simulating living the big life in the old west. Im talking owning ranches, and having things like custom horse making where you can paint the horses realistic coats and sell to players who want a specific looking horse. Being able to play as the law online. Making the old west last long online with no help from the future, requires a lot of attention to detail that Im betting Rockstar overlooks. Look at all the crappy online modes they create that are dead on arrival. They made a gorgeous map with immense replay ability, but they dont truly understand what is fun. And the most fun comes from player made jobs that think outside the box. I just put $210 into shark cards this past month into GTA, this far after release. I dont see myself staying with RDR online nearly as long. I expect to be bored with it and never come back after a year.   

I agree with all of this.  RDR Online will need properties and all kinds of other appropriate western activities and things that we can accumulate, to keep most players interested (and to make money on microtransactions).  I would grind away in that beautiful world, to get these kinds of cumulative rewards.  

Otherwise, I'll probably just spend a couple hours in RDR Online, like I did with the old multiplayer, and then drop it.  RDR had plenty of Single Player replayability for a solo grinder like me.  To drive the solos and casuals to RDR Online, Rockstar will have to make a point of removing the replayability from SP, and they probably will do exactly that.

Some players of course, want only PvP online mode, so they can bully and pwn casuals, to get their rocks off.  But I can't see that being anywhere near as satisfying for the player community, long term, as GTA0 has been. 

DexPac
  • DexPac

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:19 AM

I think both Rockstar and Take 2 have to understand that Red Dead Online can't possibly be anywhere near as successful as GTA Online is and that to downgrade the Single Player aspect in favor of it would be a huge waste mistake.

They're not gonna give us half a game and then try to drip feed us the rest through Online for years. They're gonna give us a Triple A game worth more than $60 and everything Online provides is just icing on the cake. 

People seem to have this fear that we're gonna end up in a world where Rockstar makes games with a Two Hour Campaign tagged onto a multiplayer mode. Or that their suddenly gonna put all of their games on the same expectation level as GTA. That's not gonna happen. 

• saintsrow, Jabalous, Rich. and 2 others like this

O.Z
  • O.Z

Trevor Philips

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

There used to be a info drought for gtav ,but people were active ,hundreds of posts everyday .
This section seems too dull

RDR is just not as fun as GTA, most ppl(including me) like cars not horses. 

• saintsrow and Street Mix like this

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

I don't know... I believe not having a car encourages exploration even more, if you know what I mean. I don't walk in GTA as much as I do in Red Dead Redemption or Fallout 3 for that reason. Of course, we'll have fast travel and such, but being unable to drive fast cars is something I'm looking forward to as far as free-roaming is concerned.

I'll close this off-topic parenthesis by saying that I just hope a lot of interiors will be in the game. That's a must in a game like Red Dead.
  • saintsrow, Meekail, Rockstar Vienna and 1 other like this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

I think both Rockstar and Take 2 have to understand that Red Dead Online can't possibly be anywhere near as successful as GTA Online is and that to downgrade the Single Player aspect in favor of it would be a huge waste mistake.

They're not gonna give us half a game and then try to drip feed us the rest through Online for years. They're gonna give us a Triple A game worth more than $60 and everything Online provides is just icing on the cake. 

People seem to have this fear that we're gonna end up in a world where Rockstar makes games with a Two Hour Campaign tagged onto a multiplayer mode. Or that their suddenly gonna put all of their games on the same expectation level as GTA. That's not gonna happen. 

I speak for every single one of us, in hoping that you are right.  

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

I personally have no worries in regard to RDR2's story mode. I'm sure that we will play a very entertaining single player experience with an engaging main storyline and other side stories with colorful and well-written characters. I'm just worried that the multiplayer will be similar to GTA Online in that it will be based around grinding and collecting money to buy stuff, and it will be filled with confusing modes that would be designed to attract a new fanbase, which I don't want to be involved in the community, just for the sake of generating profit out of whatever microtransactions are in there. I'm saying this because I enjoyed the hell out of RDR's Multiplayer and it extended the shelf life of the whole game after beating single player a number of times.

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:00 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 28 February 2017 - 10:02 AM.

Western is a sub-genre in a wide variety of pop culture (and western is also purely fiction, the wild west as we know it is completely fictional and never happened in any way that entertainment tends to show it, including the basis of RDR) whereas GTA is a wide variety of modern pop culture in one, based in many ways on reality even when it's all renamed, it's still real - that's basically why this is not as hyped for outside of the communities that chat about it vs everyone hypes for GTA, even some people only play games when a new gta is out.

• saintsrow and Rich. like this

Screewdriver
  • Screewdriver

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:48 AM

Gta is a well established series, so everybody is going crazy when a new one is announced. But I really think that we got a release time with the first trailer of RDR2 so that helps with being more patient. We are expecting news about the game soon, while with GTAV we didnt know when it was going to be released. And that made people more crazy, as the time went without news. And the mapping thread was allways busy because it`s more easy to map a city that is a parody of a real and famous city, than it is to map of somewhere from over a 100 years ago. 

Sorry for my bad english. 

v17
  • v17

Contractor

• Members

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

I was a bit disappointed by GTA V by the time I actually got to play it.

I'll get RDR eventually, probably not on release but eventually.

It's better to stumble upon a game later down the line when you have the time, and be surprised by it than to anticipate something that's marketed to sell and feel a bit empty when you come to realise you expected too much.

GTA V is an awesome game don't get me Wrong, but it wasn't the game I convicted myself I was waiting so much time for.
  • saintsrow, DeeDogg_ and TheHumanIsland like this

coynedawg
  • coynedawg

Youtube: CoyneDawg

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:56 PM Edited by coynedawg, 05 March 2017 - 07:04 PM.

I might be wrong but I feel like RDR2 just naturally will not appeal to as many people and that's why it's not as anticipated.

The Wild West Era just isn't an era that would naturally appeal to as many people I don't think, it's quite a "niche" era compared to GTA which has got so many different elements to it that it can appeal to pretty much everyone in some way, RDR2 for example has immediately switched off the GTA Racing Community as we're obviously not going to see the same sort of racing and not everyone wants to go racing horses xD

• Jenkiiii likes this

Jenkiiii
  • Jenkiiii

Looking Good In The Hood

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:11 PM Edited by Jenkiiii, 05 March 2017 - 07:14 PM.

I agree with this. The original RDR was absolutely terrific, but multiplayer didn't really interest me because I regularly wanted to get back to GTA IV and the city, the races and deathmatches. The violence, intensity and the speed.

I will buy RDR2 most definitely, but I will be regularly hankering for my Los Santos fix no matter how good the game is - to get back to the modern lifestyle and my car collection. GTA online is a mirror image of modern day life in Los Angeles today but with everything ramped up to a fantasy level - even your clothing, tattoos, hairstyles, cars, military vehicles, etc, are representative of what exists in the real world today.

There's only so much living in the past I want to do, no matter how excellent RDR2 turns out to be - I'll regularly want to come back to my real/virtual world life, and that's the beauty of GTA online - it's such an accurate yet distorted twist on reality.

• saintsrow and mombo2811 like this

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

I agree with this. The original RDR was absolutely terrific, but multiplayer didn't really interest me because I regularly wanted to get back to GTA IV and the city, the races and deathmatches. The violence, intensity and the speed.

I will buy RDR2 most definitely, but I will be regularly hankering for my Los Santos fix no matter how good the game is - to get back to the modern lifestyle and my car collection. GTA online is a mirror image of modern day life in Los Angeles today but with everything ramped up to a fantasy level - even your clothing, tattoos, hairstyles, cars, military vehicles, etc, are representative of what exists in the real world today.

There's only so much living in the past I want to do, no matter how excellent RDR2 turns out to be - I'll regularly want to come back to my real/virtual world life, and that's the beauty of GTA online - it's such an accurate yet distorted twist on reality.

I was hooked on RDR online, really hooked. Event after GTA V came out, i was roaming the Los Santos streets, playing deathmatches and thinking to myself: wow, RDR deathmatches are so much more enjoyable. Everyone has their own taste, i guess.

Absolut
  • Absolut

Homie

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

I guess I am a bit worried about it. Single player storylines in general have gone down (nothing scientific, just a feeling), and GTAV SP was abandoned completely from the launch, not a single DLC. No missions, cars, weapons, not a single reason to have a new go. And a very frustrating story to re-play, no variation to the plot, nothing. Well, there is in the end, yes, but that's a bit long play for a different ending. And very heavily guiding and teaching mission structure, that holds your hand and teaches you how to walk/run/swim/drive/shoot etc for the first 20 missions... I was so furious on my 3rd playthrough... Even onlines more story-like elements have come to an end, and all feels just vague and without a depth.

They are able to do a great SP into it, and I hope that they will. But I won't say that I am not a bit sceptical. Online on GTAV has been too succesful, and their understanding on what their fanbase wants seems to be.... Not exceptionally good.

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:44 AM

arent people hyped about this open world game?

People get hyped about a game that emulates their current reality, not era specific games like RDR or Skyrim.

Those games are mostly for people who love the historical aspect. 

Or who just really like horses.

Diani The Otter
  • Diani The Otter

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:49 AM

I wouldn't say thats true. There was a pretty big hype train for For Honor,as well as Skyrim, RDR was hyped to all hell as well. I'm avoiding the hyped because I have no idea how it's going to be without Leslie B there. I doubt I'll get hyped for another R* game out of a slight fear they will mess it up
  • Darrel likes this

Rafae
  • Rafae

GTAF Crew

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:21 AM Edited by Rafaesheikh, 09 March 2017 - 07:22 AM.

People get hyped about a game that emulates their current reality, not era specific games like RDR or Skyrim.

That's kind of a short-sighted thing to say lol. People may get more hyped for modern-esque games but that doesn't mean they don't get excited for games like RDR and Skyrim. I remember the hype was unreal for both back in the day.
  • Darrel and tonko like this

.Vooodu.
  • .Vooodu.

Make GTA Great Again

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

arent people hyped about this open world game?

Well Skyrim as of right now..  Its still very popular.    

I don't think its about the Historical Aspect or about horses.

Its just about the wild west.  The wild west is just cool...  Very basic, very dirty.. 

Its like.. If you watch a Western style movie, you don't do it for historical reasons or for horses.    You do it for the grit and the guns..

Karlitoz-E
  • Karlitoz-E

SiiR

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

We haven't got that much information, so it's hard to discuss and speculate

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. ;)

Dark_Rider013
  • Dark_Rider013

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

The Wild West isn't appealing for many people because it hasn't all the fancy stuff you have in  GTA.

I like both, but I really loved RDR because it has a much  better exploration system than in GTA. Everything felt more immersive. I had tons of fun on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users