Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why rdr2 not as highly anticipated as gta?

77 replies to this topic
Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:33 PM Edited by Mr Rabbit, 09 January 2017 - 11:34 PM.

This is only the 3rd entry into the franchise, and the first entry was, well, average. Plus there is a news draught, so hype would either die down or go mental like in GTA V, which is a much older franchise and has built up a massive fanbase.

I think another factor for why hype is more subdued this time do the latter is there are more releases recently and the games are better than during the great GTA V news draught of 2012, which caused much insanity, I still laugh about that today.

• saintsrow likes this

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

Well i don't know. All i know is: i'm hyped!!!

• saintsrow likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

The hype will increase again once more info is given out. It's hard (and unhealthy infact) to stay hyped for a game that only has one trailer and very little information thus far.

Yep also it's hard to be hyped after the fact that R* mentioned MP and Online experience for Red Dead 3 more than SP.

Since the real product is Online, we should just start calling it RDRO now.  The SP will be a perfunctory add-on, just for for tradition.  

PS:  I'm being cynical.  I hope that RDR2 has a hell of a good story.  

• jdv95 and tonko like this

Android
  • Android

Oreo

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:12 PM Edited by Alchemist, 11 January 2017 - 10:12 PM.

There's a bit of a wider audience for GTA games, it's all about cars, crime, and a modern world.. while old western tales and cowboys are interesting (at least imo), it wont appeal to everyone. That being said, I'm confident that the hype will expand to a larger scale once we get closer to the release.

• saintsrow and Pastry like this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

Red Dead is not appealing to younger people. It means no music on the radio, no mobile phone ringing every 30 seconds, no mentioning of today's great culture (failbook insturdgram etc),  and it means a total lack of neon lights....so of course at least half the people who bought GTA V will not buy RDR2, they will not anticipate and they will not write it down on their wishlists...

BUT, who needs these people anyway? RDR2 will sell very well and gain profit, financially speaking no problem. and the community will not consist of that many kids who scream childish bullsh*t into their headsets, I smell a WIN/WIN

• saintsrow, Deadly Target, Perez84 and 5 others like this

Cjs3315
  • Cjs3315

Kill 'em With Kindness

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

It certainly won't sell like GTAV, but at the same time the community won't be as disgusting either. The teeny boppers won't appreciate the lack of hopping cars & neon clothes. Haven't been this hyped about a video game since The Witcher announcement back in 2013. Hoping & praying that Rockstar doesn't go over the top again.

No horses with mounted machine guns or sparkling lassos please. Ffs.
  • saintsrow, tonko, Pedinhuh and 2 others like this

gtaoplayer
  • gtaoplayer

excommunicado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:15 AM

^ Lol or bulletproof horses with neon hooves
  • saintsrow, Deadly Target and AGNT009 like this

BenjoJ
  • BenjoJ

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

This is also a forum mainly for GTA games, people always seem to forget that. And i guess a big part of the forum (and people outside of it) actually never played Revolver or Redemption. 

The IGN board for RDR is dead too, which is why I came here.

• saintsrow likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Members
  • Syria

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

1. The Red Dead IP isn't NEARLY as big as GTA's

2. We only have 1 teaser trailer that shows us jack sh*t to be excited about other than 'GRAFFIX!'

Them some really nice graphics, though.

But yeah GTA connects with far more people than RDR does for starters; it's one of the medium's principle IPs. We know nothing about the game as mentioned before and the PC shtick has a lot of people disinterested till they hear more about that side of things.

• saintsrow likes this

Snesgamer83
  • Snesgamer83

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:35 PM

I'm "hyped", have wanted to try the RDR franchise for quite some time, but Rockstar shuts me out as a PC-only player.

• Fuzzknuckles and jedijosh920 like this

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

Because GTA is the biggest franchise in gaming history. RDR2 is still very hyped though. The official trailer has over 10 million views on YouTube.

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:33 AM

It certainly won't sell like GTAV, but at the same time the community won't be as disgusting either. The teeny boppers won't appreciate the lack of hopping cars & neon clothes. Haven't been this hyped about a video game since The Witcher announcement back in 2013. Hoping & praying that Rockstar doesn't go over the top again.

No horses with mounted machine guns or sparkling lassos please. Ffs.

This comment is so true.

• saintsrow likes this

Diani The Otter
  • Diani The Otter

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:09 AM

I'll get it. I'm extremely catious tho. RDR was only good because Leslie Benezies got involved and saved it, without him I'm not certain what it's going to be like. Another big problem is the expected microtransations. Lets not kid our selves, it was a hit in GTAO, they'll implement them into RDR2 too

gtaoplayer
  • gtaoplayer

excommunicado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

↑ That's what I'm waiting to see/hear more about before I even buy the game.

That's gonna make it or break it, for me. If they're going the same route as GTAO then I won't get it. I'll probably sell my ps4 and just wait to get ps5/gta6 in a few years.

BenjoJ
  • BenjoJ

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:03 AM

Just got into Far Cry Primal while I wait (through a recommendation on here) and it's a really good substitute for now. Highly recommend it. 

ViceCity09
  • ViceCity09

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

Red Dead Redemption was one of my all time favourites and I have been so excited to hear about the sequel for a long time. I don't even think I will get this game on release day because I don't trust R* won't shift all the focus to online, I'd rather not play it if the story is just a tutorial. I think a lot of people are skeptical about this but as soon as another trailer drops you will see this place pick up extremely quickly!

wagszilla
  • wagszilla

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:46 PM

I'm more excited for RDR2 than I was for GTAV (or will be for GTA VI) but I'm past the point in my life where I follow every detail about games. I just don't have the time, energy, or interest. 

• tonko likes this

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:59 AM

I'm more excited for RDR2 than I was for GTAV (or will be for GTA VI) but I'm past the point in my life where I follow every detail about games. I just don't have the time, energy, or interest. 

Yeah, i know what you're saying bro. Life stuff takes too much time. Just like you, i try to balance out life and my time, still i'll preorder RDR in a heartbeat :D

• wagszilla likes this

Diani The Otter
  • Diani The Otter

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:15 AM Edited by Diani The Otter, 07 February 2017 - 07:15 AM.

I think another thing that has me on the fence is the story and online content. The lack of story DLC and GTAO's online content was almost entirely garbage, or non-exsistent with story DLC. I swear I will rage hard if they try to release horse breeds and call it quality content.

"We're releasing five new types of horse; Mustang, Clydsdale, Quarter, Percheron, and The Belgian,ten new neon glowing horse shoes, new types of saddle, hats, gloves, lasso, boots, different shades of holster, five new guns, and an adversary mode!"

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

Embrace it. The over hype will be followed by threads explaining why the game sucks when it releases. Be calm, be realistic, and try to put it to the back of your mind until the info starts flying out like all R* games.

Absolut
  • Absolut

Homie

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

I can only speak for myself, but the original Red Dead Redemption made me hate horses, donkeys, bears, cougars, snakes, grasslands, sand, Mexico and southern US of A.

Cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop. And you are just leaving the town.

I liked the story, I liked the map. Gameplay wasn't bad, but I still don't like horses and everytime I hear a horse IRL, I immediately feel the frustration of RDR. I dunno if I managed to make missions in particularly poor order, but I was always on a wrong side of the map. So I was klippety-klopping all the time all over the map, with all kind of animals and robbers springing behind every rock and tree.

• saintsrow likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

I can only speak for myself, but the original Red Dead Redemption made me hate horses, donkeys, bears, cougars, snakes, grasslands, sand, Mexico and southern US of A.

Cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop, cloppoty-clop. And you are just leaving the town.

I liked the story, I liked the map. Gameplay wasn't bad, but I still don't like horses and everytime I hear a horse IRL, I immediately feel the frustration of RDR. I dunno if I managed to make missions in particularly poor order, but I was always on a wrong side of the map. So I was klippety-klopping all the time all over the map, with all kind of animals and robbers springing behind every rock and tree.

I can sense that you are frustrated :p  I kind of agree, when you are doing the first playthrough and are impatient to make progress, it could feel like this.  

But I actually think that part of the charm and  magic in RDR are the variety of things that happen as you travel across the map to an objective.  Always some fun distraction.  It adds a good bit of replayability to the single player game.  Furthermore, it breaks up the tedious "go there, get that, come back" grindfest that is typical of all these games.  

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

Hmmm, there was a fast travel option to avoid all that. I myself loved bandits.

• saintsrow likes this

NearExpansion
  • NearExpansion

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

I played RDR because I played GTA VC, III, SA and IV.  R* keep making the kind of game I like to play. I even played Saints Row because it was kind of similar if less worthy. I played LA Noire too because R* got it finished, game was good to look at if pretty dull to play. Oh and I also enjoyed the Midnight Club games R* used to make, always a lot more fun than the oh so serious Gran Turismo games.

• saintsrow likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:23 AM

I played RDR because I played GTA VC, III, SA and IV.  R* keep making the kind of game I like to play. I even played Saints Row because it was kind of similar if less worthy. I played LA Noire too because R* got it finished, game was good to look at if pretty dull to play. Oh and I also enjoyed the Midnight Club games R* used to make, always a lot more fun than the oh so serious Gran Turismo games.

My experience is almost identical, i.e., the reasons for trying other open world games (Saints Row 1 and 2, but only played them a little - they're just lacking relative to GTA) and of course LA Noire.  

I got Midnight Club and played a bit, but I was frustrated that I couldn't get out of the car to look at the beautiful LA world design.  Likewise, I got Test Drive Unlimited 2 (TDU2), during the long miserable wait for GTAV, but it's repetitive, and nowhere near as rich as GTA.  I liked the scale of TDU2, though, and the houses in TDU2.  

I liked LA Noire atmosphere a lot, but yes, it's just not as alive and rich as GTA, no replayability.  I also played through part of True Crime LA, which is kind of like LA Noire in modern times.  

I finished LA Noire, but did not finish any of these other games.  

For RDR2, there's not too many other games to fill the gap while waiting.  I like the soundtrack on Call of Juarez and the modern times version of Call of Juarez, but I am sure the game is not worth buying, so I just look at some of it on youtube.  

• NearExpansion likes this

M0rk
  • M0rk

never look down on someone unless u gettin head

• Members
  • Zimbabwe
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:37 AM

it doesn't look interesting, the trailer didn't show sh*t

AGNT009
  • AGNT009

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

RDR can never beat GTA. 3rd game will be good, online will be good, but not great. And you'll quickly be reminded of how fun limiting the old west is with no fast guns or fast cars and aircraft. They'll kill the limited old west map by making everyone's icons show up, so theres no way to get lost in the maps, and no sense of real danger lurking around the bend if you dont know if its AI or player danger you'll run into. To make online old west have more playability, they'll really need to get a little sim-ish to appeal to the game's fans. Not The Sims, Im talking simulating living the big life in the old west. Im talking owning ranches, and having things like custom horse making where you can paint the horses realistic coats and sell to players who want a specific looking horse. Being able to play as the law online. Making the old west last long online with no help from the future, requires a lot of attention to detail that Im betting Rockstar overlooks. Look at all the crappy online modes they create that are dead on arrival. They made a gorgeous map with immense replay ability, but they dont truly understand what is fun. And the most fun comes from player made jobs that think outside the box. I just put $210 into shark cards this past month into GTA, this far after release. I dont see myself staying with RDR online nearly as long. I expect to be bored with it and never come back after a year.   

• saintsrow likes this

DexPac
  • DexPac

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:07 AM

I'm anticipating Red Redemption 2 way more than I did GTA V and I love the GTA franchise. Sure Red Dead Online probably won't have the longevity that GTA Online has but I also wouldn't have felt cheated out of my $60 if GTA V's story mode was all I got. In fact, I never even touched Redemption's online until it became backwards compatible and pretty quickly went back to the story mode. 

• saintsrow likes this

Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice]

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

ppl arent hyped cause houser fired the benz. i was very fearful for mp3 being garbage after such a long time without a title in the series, but it turned out waay better than i expected.

i just hope R* wont turn this into a sh*tty, expected, boring, microtransaction filled piece of sh*t.

• saintsrow likes this

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

And you'll quickly be reminded of how fun limiting the old west is with no fast guns or fast cars and aircraft.

Oh I can't wait for a big open world WITHOUT all that!

• saintsrow, Spider-Vice, DexPac and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users