Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why rdr2 not as highly anticipated as gta?

77 replies to this topic
skyfamster
  • skyfamster

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

arent people hyped about this open world game?

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:59 AM Edited by Rockstar Vienna, 02 January 2017 - 02:06 AM.

Oh I think there's been a lot of hype since Rockstar revealed it but right now we're just in the middle of a news drought. But why isn't it as highly anticipated as GTA!? Well, the fanbase of GTA is still way bigger. This is also a forum mainly for GTA games, people always seem to forget that. And i guess a big part of the forum (and people outside of it) actually never played Revolver or Redemption. But generally speaking I think the anticipation is quite high. Nothing compared to GTA V of course but the hype for this game is definitely real.

• Jabalous, UltraGizmo64, stjimmy3 and 1 other like this

skyfamster
  • skyfamster

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:18 AM

There used to be a info drought for gtav ,but people were active ,hundreds of posts everyday .
This section seems too dull
  • UltraGizmo64 likes this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:10 AM

well, besides GTA V and GTA Online being super awesome, some people fear R* lost their ways and thus are skeptical towards their future releases. with the benz gone, I started to see the company in a different light too but the core of RDR 2 had been built while he was still around so I have high hopes for at least this game. and I have been hyped for the next RD title ever since I saw GTA V on PS4. it will look so gat-damn gooooood!

• Mister Pink and UltraGizmo64 like this

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:30 AM

1. The Red Dead IP isn't NEARLY as big as GTA's

2. We only have 1 teaser trailer that shows us jack sh*t to be excited about other than 'GRAFFIX!'

• saintsrow, Jabalous, UltraGizmo64 and 7 others like this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:13 PM Edited by Jabalous, 02 January 2017 - 02:14 PM.

1. The Red Dead IP isn't NEARLY as big as GTA's

2. We only have 1 teaser trailer that shows us jack sh*t to be excited about other than 'GRAFFIX!'

Well said, DeeDogg_.

• stjimmy3 likes this

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

There used to be a info drought for gtav ,but people were active ,hundreds of posts everyday .
This section seems too dull

Again... this i a GTA Forum! Actually the biggest GTA community online! Of course people were going crazy in here when Rockstar revealed GTA V. If not here, then where!? But what's more important... The GTA brand is almost 20 years old. Basically every gamer on this planet knows about Grand Theft Auto (at least since 2001). Rockstar released almost a dozen GTA Games while the Red Dead franchise just consists of 2 games! And let's be honest... Probably not even 3% of the forum users have ever played Revolver. So almost everyone in here heard about Red Dead first with the release of Redemption in 2010. It's as simple as that if you ask me.

• saintsrow, UltraGizmo64, InfiniteTias and 2 others like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

Rockstar released almost a dozen GTA Games while the Red Dead franchise just consists of 2 games! And let's be honest... Probably not even 3% of the forum users have ever played Revolver. So almost everyone in here heard about Red Dead first with the release of Redemption in 2010. It's as simple as that if you ask me.

I think this is the most pertinent point, RDR2 is definitely highly anticipated, but there's not really been much to build up a community or a following close to GTA's which is what you need for the hype aspect. RDR was a massive sleeper hit which is why RDR2 is still a big deal, GTA was a massive series which is why GTA V was hyped to probably record levels on name alone. If RDR2 is anything close to GTA V in terms of popularity, then I imagine RDR3 will have a lot more in terms of hype since there'll be more of a base to launch the hype with.
  • saintsrow, Spider-Vice, UltraGizmo64 and 1 other like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

People tend to get hyped when there's more than a single trailer to get hyped about. The game itself is at least a year off, including the inevitable delay we'll get a month after the official release date is tentatively given out. 

In the mean time, there's other games to be played. 

• saintsrow, universetwisters and AGNT009 like this

gtaoplayer
  • gtaoplayer

excommunicado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

I'm hyped. I love the stories, love the gameplay. Can't wait to explore the world they created
  • saintsrow likes this

Darkshadows
  • Darkshadows

God

• Members
  • Colombia

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

-There isn't really a lot of information about the game.

-Rockstar's biggest IP is GTA and for now anything that isn't GTA won't be as anticipated.

This is actually pretty bad considering that Rockstar could end up forgetting old franchises or not even creating new ones because of their wonderful money maker: GTA

DGSimo
  • DGSimo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

-There isn't really a lot of information about the game.
-Rockstar's biggest IP is GTA and for now anything that isn't GTA won't be as anticipated.

This is actually pretty bad considering that Rockstar could end up forgetting old franchises or not even creating new ones because of their wonderful money maker: GTA

Well Red Dead is Rockstar's second biggest IP and from what I remember Take Two only considers some titles to be "franchises" if they sell a certain amount of copies. So aside from GTA and Red Dead, L.A Noire and Max Payne were the only other listed continuing IPs to their investors. So financially they might not even bother to touch the likes of Bully or Manhunt when they didn't sell the amount of copies as their other ips, not that they're forgotten.

Since RDR2 being announced its become one of the most anticipated titles already listed by those in the industry and of course gamers. Like everyone else has said, this area of the forums is quiet because we literally have only had 1 piece of key art and a 1 minute trailer showing the landscapes. Prior to all that this area was quiet and only had a handful of members posting and in discussion, myself included. Then the announcement came and everybody flooded here. lol

As soon as Rockstar drops a screenshot, trailer or the Game Informer spread this place will light up again and be hopping. lol
  • saintsrow and UltraGizmo64 like this

Tonesta
  • Tonesta

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

Surprised noone has suggested it - but surely a large part of it is that historical westerns are just less popular on the whole than modern crime dramas?

Are gamers on the whole not more interested in fast cars/tanks/planes and a cynical, blackly comic interpretation of modern life, than horses/wagons/pistols and heartfelt, old-fashioned drama?

Although RDR is almost universally regarded as a wonderful game - it still sold less than any GTA title from III onwards.

I believe I'm right in saying that no Western movie has ever done more than $200m at the box office. Contrast to a mediocre modern film like Furious 7 that did $1.5b!

Dedicated open world gamers aren't going to care - because RDR2 is likely to have a beautiful, varied open world and a bunch of fun things to be done in it.

But they're not expecting the sales to rival GTA, because the genre just isn't as popular (although maybe Westworld will have helped this year?). And so it's not completely surprising that the hype should equally be a bit more toned down.

DGSimo
  • DGSimo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:37 PM Edited by DGSimo, 03 January 2017 - 10:38 PM.

Well that's a given seeing that the Western genre is nowhere as big now as it was in the 50s and 60s but there's always spurts in its popularity and honestly in the last 13 years it's been a pretty consistent. RDR actually helped too given I've seen some folks talk about how they were never a fan of the genre but playing the game changed that. Michael Pachter famously tried to predict that due to the game being a Western and set in the American West that Eastern audiences and gamers would ball at the title and thus underperform and quite the opposite happened. Also Westworld being a crazy big hit helps today too especially the name drop and connection to RDR.

Yes you would be mistaken about the box office take for a Western. lol The Revenant grossed over $500 million worldwide and it's lead actor, director and DP all winning an Oscar too.

Again there's no real argument that a modern crime game with today's technology and firepower is more popular than an old western, but for the games and the lack of discussion Or "hype" as posed by the OP..well again we don't have anything substantial to talk about. lol
  • saintsrow and Neon_Dreaming like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:18 AM

The hype will increase again once more info is given out. It's hard (and unhealthy infact) to stay hyped for a game that only has one trailer and very little information thus far.
  • Spider-Vice, UltraGizmo64 and Jenkiiii like this

Tonesta
  • Tonesta

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:41 PM Edited by Tonesta, 04 January 2017 - 06:42 PM.

Yes you would be mistaken about the box office take for a Western. lol The Revenant grossed over $500 million worldwide and it's lead actor, director and DP all winning an Oscar too.

You're right - I was looking at US Box Office when I talked about <$200m, not worldwide.

Still, the highest grossing western of all time in the US (Dances with Wolves) is still only ranked #203 in US Box Office, and the highest grossing western worldwide (which is the Revenant) is #149 in global box office.

It has not traditionally been the world's most popular genre.

(and I'm ignoring the awards, because it's long been true that quality does not necessarily impact popularity!)

Achlys
  • Achlys

Penis Flytrap

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:23 PM

Well the reason right now is because R* hasn't released any news about it. Just wait until a second trailer is revealed, the hype will revive.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:04 AM

The trailer is at 9.5 million views now in over a few months, RDR1 is still at less than 900k. The hype lives on from how good the first game was, we just can't speculate about it as much as we can GTA since it's a pretty specific theme already. Once the second official lot of info drops, whatever format it comes in, things are gonna blow up for sure, and we'll be ready!
  • Kalvin and Happy Hunter like this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Huntèr civil rights activist

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:27 AM

Because there's not a lot to go on info-wise with Red Dead, and in my opinion there's unfinished business with GTA (still stuff I'm personally waiting to see them add, and won't feel satisfied until they do). 

Not that there's no hype - it looks pretty incredible. I hope they deliver.

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:15 AM

...there's unfinished business with GTA (still stuff I'm personally waiting to see them add, and won't feel satisfied until they do).

Oh ffs finish it off already! Almost 3,5 years the same sh*t. And no, i'm afraid you'll never get your little toy! It's more likely that you'll win the ban roulette twice :p

(had my fun with GTAO, comment is not meant to be offensive) ;)

DGSimo
  • DGSimo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:46 AM

You're right - I was looking at US Box Office when I talked about <$200m, not worldwide.

Ahh you had your statement mixed up then because Furious 7 certainly didn't make that much domestically but worldwide.

Again though, as it's been beaten to death; RDR2 hype is just down to lack of marketing. As Kirsty pointed out though their single announcement trailer has over 9 million views alone on YouTube and so far the game has shown up on various "anticipated" lists by developers and gamers. NeoGaf just did their anticipated list as voted by the members and RDR2 came in at #4, not bad for a game where all anyone has seen is a poster and minute trailer. lol

Tonesta
  • Tonesta

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

Ahh you had your statement mixed up then because Furious 7 certainly didn't make that much domestically but worldwide.

Again though, as it's been beaten to death; RDR2 hype is just down to lack of marketing. As Kirsty pointed out though their single announcement trailer has over 9 million views alone on YouTube and so far the game has shown up on various "anticipated" lists by developers and gamers. NeoGaf just did their anticipated list as voted by the members and RDR2 came in at #4, not bad for a game where all anyone has seen is a poster and minute trailer. lol

Aye, no argument with that - I mixed up my stats in the first post. Feel free to ignore those and focus on the rankings in my 2nd, which more accurately illustrate what I was trying to say!

i.e. the highest grossing western of all time in the US (Dances with Wolves) is still only ranked #203 in US Box Office, and the highest grossing western worldwide (which is the Revenant) is #149 in global box office.

None of this is to suggest that people aren't hyped for RDR2 - they certainly seem to be.

I'm just assessing it - as the OP did - in comparison to GTA. Which was, of course, #1 in NeoGaf's most anticipated games list for 2013, and will undoubtedly be again in 2025 or whenever it is that GTAVI makes its way to us!

RDR just isn't as popular a franchise as GTA (I know Rockstar won't be expecting 70m sales from it!), and the Western setting is my best guess as to why.

• UltraGizmo64 and DGSimo like this

infectedG636
  • infectedG636

Hi I'm Old Man, and this is my son Pawnshop

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:53 AM

because mistakes aren't meant to be made again 

skyfamster
  • skyfamster

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:42 AM

Gta5 didn't live up to your expectation right?

infectedG636
  • infectedG636

Hi I'm Old Man, and this is my son Pawnshop

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

Gta5 didn't live up to your expectation right?
Me and my friends didn't

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:06 PM Edited by darkdayz, 06 January 2017 - 11:07 PM.

The trailer is at 9.5 million views now in over a few months, RDR1 is still at less than 900k. The hype lives on from how good the first game was, we just can't speculate about it as much as we can GTA since it's a pretty specific theme already. Once the second official lot of info drops, whatever format it comes in, things are gonna blow up for sure, and we'll be ready!

It still won't sell or generate a fraction of what GTA does. GTA V is by sales more successful than the original Tetris and Super Mario Bros. GTA has history that just doesn't come like that. Sure Red Dead is building, but they'll be hitting around 20 million sales I reckon, 15 of those quickly. GTA V is on 70m, I don't see another console game even coming close to that until a new GTA comes out.

Youtube is not really a great way to judge hype because it's inconsistent, a lot more people use it now than 5 years ago, an example of this would be that RDR1 (ign's channel) trailer has the same views as GTA IV's trailer. They are no where near on the same level in terms of hype and sales, it just happens to be that way because of when they were released.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

still won't sell or generate a fraction of what GTA does. GTA V is by sales more successful than the original Tetris and Super Mario Bros. GTA has history that just doesn't come like that. Sure Red Dead is building, but they'll be hitting around 20 million sales I reckon, 15 of those quickly. GTA V is on 70m, I don't see another console game even coming close to that until a new GTA comes out.

Youtube is not really a great way to judge hype because it's inconsistent, a lot more people use it now than 5 years ago, an example of this would be that RDR1 (ign's channel) trailer has the same views as GTA IV's trailer. They are no where near on the same level in terms of hype and sales, it just happens to be that way because of when they were released.

Yeah, I don't think you can compare it to GTA directly, since GTA can appeal to both the hardcore and casual gamer. It's got a rich history and an instantly recognisable name. All I meant with the YouTube views was that we can see that RDR2 hype is huge, and that's because of how acclaimed the first game was and because it shares developers with GTA. That connection to GTA speaks for itself, it would have been more unknown back then, but now it shares the same exposure, so any bit of news about is going to be spread ten-fold. The fans that stick around for R* and not just a new GTA can be equally as hyped for this game and that'll speak volumes in the sales, but yeah of course I agree it's not going to instantly match GTA. I know people who call RDR boring because it's not modern and the map is mostly empty, but each to their own I guess :p
  • Kalvin and DGSimo like this

DGSimo
  • DGSimo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:42 AM

Yeah nobody is arguing GTA is the more popular brand obviously due to the genre and franchise's legacy but GTAV was just a freak of nature thanks to the right timing, moves and evolutionary possibilities thanks to a 3 protag system and promise of a online world. Porting the game to current gen systems and having marketing with Sony only helped given for every PS4 sold, a copy of GTAV was sold with it.

It's funny to look back because just prior to GTAV releasing in 2013, TT revealed that over 25 million copies of GTAIV had been sold. A staggering amount at the time but it just shows you the difference and right moves Rockstar made for GTAV. For reference Red Dead sold over 14 million copies by 2016 making it their second biggest IP. I'll be curious to see how RDR2 does and I think it could best GTAIV...:p

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

Lack of further updates and not much has been talked about since first-glimpse. But the game still remains highly anticipated.

Multiplayer seems to be the only interesting aspect about the game, so far.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Fascist, Loofa-faced s**t-gibbon.

• Members
  • Norfolk-Island

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:34 PM Edited by Street Mix, 07 January 2017 - 01:35 PM.

The hype will increase again once more info is given out. It's hard (and unhealthy infact) to stay hyped for a game that only has one trailer and very little information thus far.

Yep also it's hard to be hyped after the fact that R* mentioned MP and Online experience for Red Dead 3 more than SP.

• saintsrow and MiamiViceCity like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users