Improoved Kams DFF IO

28 replies to this topic
cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground]

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:35 AM Edited by cj2000, 09 January 2017 - 03:42 PM.

I am using Kams Scripts to worck with dff files for a long time. The scripts, in my opinion are still the best way to worck with dff files as they worck on every, or at least the most, version of Max. It´s also no secret, the sripts have a lot of bugs, so I started fixing some of them.

Features of this improoved scripts:

- UV2 suport (Import and export)

- Zmod dff import

- small fixes to material import and export

- fixed material IDs for exported faces

The improoved scripts can be downloaded here.

Instalation: just replace the original Kams scripts with the corresponding ones from the downloaded folder.

Helpfull information: After remooving faces from a mesh, UV2 map of this mesh will be lost when exporting, to fix it you have to colapse the UVW stack befor export. Some dffs exported by the old Kams script could be imported incorect (the same for dffs exported with Deniskas script), to fix this Zmod button must be disabled befor importing such files, but for importing Zmod dffs Zmod button must be enabled befor import. For original GTA dff import it is not important if Zmod buton is enabled or not, but I recomend to keep it enabled for performance reasons.

Kam for his script

The Hero for his help in understanding dff format

• Gforce, Tomasak, Jeansowaty and 5 others like this

goodidea82
  • goodidea82

SA Modder

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:14 PM Edited by goodidea82, 02 January 2017 - 04:15 PM.

That's great. Can you upload it somewhere, where the link will be persistent. (E.g. gtainside.com)

How does it relate to X-Seti's work? Maybe link the two pages so people will find them.

I have little modeling experience. Can you explain what UV2 is good for and how to use it? Does SA support texture blending?

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

That's great. Can you upload it somewhere, where the link will be persistent. (E.g. gtainside.com)

How does it relate to X-Seti's work? Maybe link the two pages so people will find them.

I have little modeling experience. Can you explain what UV2 is good for and how to use it? Does SA support texture blending?

Yes, I was thinking to upload it to gtainside, but later when I have the final version.

There is no real relation to X-Seti's work, as far I know he´s worcking on maping scripts, but after he got some kind of permision to publish his worck on Kams scripts, I decided to do the same.

UV2 is the map for reflection texture in GTA SA.

• goodidea82 likes this

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:48 PM Edited by cj2000, 10 January 2017 - 03:27 PM.

A version with improoved export is avaible here. UV2 map should be exported corectlly after editing the mesh even without colapsing UVW stack.

At the moment I have improoved multiDFF import, so all clumps can be imported at once. Also going to make some other improovements on import and export functions. After that, I think to have the final version. But if somebody has ideas about other improovements to DFF IO, I´ll see if they can be also done.

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:11 AM

Its good to see some fixes, I do find that at times the DFF Exporter (Before You Have Made Fixes) will f*ck up geometry of things at times, like it moves certain vertexs around all over the place and screws up some parts of the model, I am yet to try your fixes but if this does nothing to fix that I'll send over some of the models that do this so you can look into it further.

Also If you need somewhere to host the file feel free to upload it on my website, http://almost610.ucoz.com

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Mooving vertex, is something new to me, but problems with TextureCords were known.

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

So this here should be the final version, at least at the moment. This version alows to import multiclump dff at once and have some other improovements to import and export functions.

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

understandable have a good day

• Facade Corporation
  • None
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

Can you upload to Mediafire/GTAInside/something else please?

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Can you upload to Mediafire/GTAInside/something else please?

What´s wrong with that link?

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

• Facade Corporation
  • None

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:53 AM Edited by Jinx., 13 January 2017 - 11:54 AM.

I mean as a second link. Sorry for not mentioning :p

Also you said that you'll upload the final version on gtainside, so I'll give you that.

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

I mean as a second link. Sorry for not mentioning :p

Also you said that you'll upload the final version on gtainside, so I'll give you that.

As you know, my english is awful, I said it should be the final version, but at the moment it isn´t, as there still could be some bugs, I haven´t seen. Once I know there are no real bugs, I upload the final version to gtainside.

• Jinx. likes this

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

• Facade Corporation
  • None

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

Good point. Good luck :)

Spoiler

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

So think the script can be released on monday, haven´t noticed any bugs with vertex mooved around or something like that, the only problem can be with imported models made with this script to Zmod, but Zmod models can be imported without problem.

• Jinx. likes this

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

• Facade Corporation
  • None

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

Honestly why one would import models exported with 3ds max (specifically your tool) in Zmodeler? I mean, unless zmod can fix something, there is no reasom to do that, so it isn't a major issue. Good job on the tool :)

Also pls read that spoiler :(

csillam_faszlama
  • csillam_faszlama

Little Willie owner

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

So you say, if I export a dff from Max, it'll mess up in Zmodeler when importing?

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

• Facade Corporation
  • None

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:55 PM Edited by Jinx., 21 January 2017 - 07:56 PM.

So you say, if I export a dff from Max, it'll mess up in Zmodeler when importing?

Pretty much, yeah.

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Pretty much, yeah.

It something about 50/50, some models can be imported to Zmod without problems, while some other not, was already a problem with the old Kams script. I also agree, that Zmod has nothing max hasn´t, as R* used max for modeling. However if you are part of a big mod and worcking with other people, who use Zmod, this could be a problem, as they will not be able to import some models exported from max, but models made with Zmod can be imported with this script without problems.

P.S. Have read your Spoiler, the problem I must find the model first, once I have found, will upload it again.

• Jinx. and csillam_faszlama like this

csillam_faszlama
  • csillam_faszlama

Little Willie owner

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

So the same problem exists in the old script? Cause I haven't noticed any problem so far with it, so your script should work me also... Will try it out.

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

So the same problem exists in the old script? Cause I haven't noticed any problem so far with it, so your script should work me also... Will try it out.

The problem seems to have something to do with the BinMeshPLG (MaterialSplit) section, was also the reason Kams script was unable to import Zmod dffs.

I know I promissed to upload the final section, but noticed there is some isues with RWLights, even they are not used ingame, for some maping stuff inside max they seem to have importance.

• csillam_faszlama likes this

csillam_faszlama
  • csillam_faszlama

Little Willie owner

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

I use your script, and it works perfectly so far :)

Thanks for the script!

Landrei
  • Landrei

Player Hater

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:09 AM

can it import rw 3.6.0.3 formats?

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

can it import rw 3.6.0.3 formats?

If I understood right, you are tallking about SA dffs, so yes.

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:24 PM Edited by cj2000, 27 January 2017 - 10:49 AM.

Have finally uploaded the files to gtainside, here the link.

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

Noticed there was a problem with skined model export, the problem was fixed and the downloadlink on gtainside should be replaced by the fixed version soon.

Gmer
  • Gmer

Player Hater

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted A day ago Edited by Gmer, A day ago.

@cj2000 I used this exporter for a while but noticed it doesn't respect scene changes of 3DS Max, like if I import, and change something (in my case: vertexes aka polycount using tool like MultiRes)

and then I export it, it will be the same as old values. The DFF will remain the same size as old one as if I didn't change anything, and your exporter version will not write the new DFF as it should, by ignoring things that have been changed.

I'm not sure if it would ignore everything, like material or physical drawing changes, as I haven't tested. (in that case your exporter would be de facto useless..)

Is that a bug? I'm forced to fall back on the original Kams again, although I rather want to use yours for the improvements and modernisation it offers.

If relevant, using 3DS Max 2017 here, but I think this can happen with any 3DS if you cannot prove me wrong.

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

.Retro mod developer. (Xenon Brothers)

• Feroci
  • Mars
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted A day ago

When Autodesk release newer versions of 3dsmax they ignore existing scripts in the community, Kams out the box never worked for me because of the changes in max script, The best 3dsmax you can use is 2012 or 2014.

csillam_faszlama
  • csillam_faszlama

Little Willie owner

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted A day ago

True: I use 2012 version, and I can assure you, it's working perfectly. Never tried 2014, but what X-Seti says must be right.

cj2000
  • cj2000

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 hours ago

I personally not using newer max versions, and for me the script is worcking fine, but never tested it on versions higher than 2008. For newer max versions the plugin by The Hero could be a beter solution. The reason I tried to improove Kams script, was to give people like me, not wiling to throw their money away for the newest max version, an oportuniti to worck with dff files in max.
After worcking some time on improoving Kams script, I noticed it's really otdsted, as it based on the incomplete and particulary wrong knowledge of dff format, that is more than 10 years old. So I started writing new scripts, based on actual knowledge about dff format. I hope to be able making that scripts avaible for public soon.

goodidea82
  • goodidea82

SA Modder

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 hours ago

Newer version of 3DMax are freely available from Autodesk as student version.

Here is an example of porting Seggaeman's plugin to 3D Max 2015: http://gtaforums.com...entry1067907891

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users