Worth the effort?

15 replies to this topic
fashion
  • fashion

No More Slots

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:56 PM

Hey guys, back when DYOM was in it's blooming days, I was a quite successful DYOM designer. I was known for making really detailed missions and quite complex stories. I don't want to praise myself here, but I could work for days planning out my stories and hours on a single mission. Sadly, in my last weeks over here, I dropped a lot of mission packs releasing just 1-2 missions and even hyping some players. Life just kicked me in the head too hard and eventually even my damn computer broke and I even deleted my old account. I spend a couple of years playing console and eventually got a PS4, so DYOM became something forgotten..

But now I got a new PC and installed San Andreas along with DYOM to replay some missions I did in the past and also mission packs done by others. I completely forgot how much I loved to be around here and how fun it was to create my own mission packs. I want to replay the very first community project we did, which was my favorite DYOM time I had and I even had the honor back then to create the last mission for it.

Now on to my question: Just how popular is this place? Are there many designers left? Any 'veterans' left? I really need to know. I simply can't judge if I should create a rather basic mission pack or something more complex like people did in the past. I know I can put A LOT of effort into it, but if there's nobody around then it's not really worth it.. is it?

I hope this won't get locked, I simply feel I need a little bit of your attention and your help before starting working on a new project :) Thanks for taking your time.

Dutchy3010
  • Dutchy3010

Female SCM coder!

• Netherlands
  • Best Script 2013 [DYOM]
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

With around 20 new missions at the DYOM website a day, it is still amazingly popular. We are impressed every time we see numbers.
  • Jimmy_Leppard, Pledge of Chaos, Dr. John and 6 others like this

Light Syde Riandy
  • Light Syde Riandy

LSR

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:55 PM Edited by Light Syde Riandy, 28 December 2016 - 08:58 PM.

I don't think DYOM is worth your efforts anymore since there are only about 5 users who active everyday here. The neglect from the admins to reveal the progress for DYOM V9 is truely affects the popularity of this community.

Beside that, creating even one DYOM mission takes SOOOOOOOO much time. Time that older designers rather spend to partying with their real life friends or to find and do another hobby that they believe will interest them.

Unless if you want to remembering some nostalgias of it, then go ahead!

Pledge of Chaos
  • Pledge of Chaos

Secronom

• Members
  • Canada
  • Helpfulness Award [DYOM]
    Contribution Award [DYOM]

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:35 PM Edited by Pledge of Chaos, 28 December 2016 - 09:37 PM.

If you want to design, go for it. Personally, I'd prefer a complex mission pack but it is up to you.

As for the current members, it depends of the time of the year but you can divide them into two groups: the helpful ones and the useless ones.

• Target13 likes this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Daily Globe
  • Serbia
  • Contribution Award [DYOM]

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

Worth the effort? Well, i'm always open for something that has more ''effort'' than the average MP. So, i would give it the attention it deserves. Just like one of the rare exceptions today, V for Vinegar.

On the other note, last year in this time, it certainly was more active, but generally you can't expect so much activity in this part of the year.

fashion
  • fashion

No More Slots

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the answers! Even the mod creator lady responded so I'll use this opportunity to thank you once again for creating the mod. Even after all those years, you and Patrick created a reason to still come back to this game.

I've made my decision and already figured out what my first project is going to be. I still need to learn the new features of version V.8 so I'll release a single mission unrelated to my project just to play around with the features.

I'm having a vacation in two weeks from now and that's when I plan to release the first chapter of my project. I'm going for a fully fleshed out story, a crime story, but I'll give my best to give you an unique experience in terms of both storytelling and gameplay.
What I want to do is, make it a three chapter story with the first and last chapter a more cinematic experience without making use of the storyline feature. Put a heavy focus on the story, but still include a lot of action. The middle chapter is going to use the storyline feature with more action focused missions and giving the player the choice of which mission to do first as all of the missions will be available from the start. I don't want to spoil anything else but I think it's going to be a fun project to create.
  • Alexander, Huzaifa khan, SMACKED! and 1 other like this

Blessed Viper
  • Blessed Viper

Muscle Car Lover

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

I used to be fairly active back around 2012 & I can say for a fact that it seems like DYOM really isn't in anybody's interest aside from a couple members who are still active.

However, I think that someone needs to kickstart the mod back to life. The reason no one is active anymore is probably because there's nothing worth taking the time to look out, nothing we haven't seen or anything innovative. If someone were to make something groundbreaking like LeonCJ's Episodes from LV or something along those lines, I think it could motivate a lot of people to either play the mod, or even create missions themselves.

Personally, I've been replaying old mission packs & storylines and have been waiting for something new to play.

I say, go for it. What have you got to lose?

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

Yes, please. Go for it, we need more mature and grown players = creativity = activity. The DYOM section is pretty active, I might add. I just posted a mission a few hours ago and it already owns 17 downloads unlike past experiences.

Aflien
  • Aflien

aka Nyhhichi

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

I used to be fairly active back around 2012 & I can say for a fact that it seems like DYOM really isn't in anybody's interest aside from a couple members who are still active.

However, I think that someone needs to kickstart the mod back to life. The reason no one is active anymore is probably because there's nothing worth taking the time to look out, nothing we haven't seen or anything innovative. If someone were to make something groundbreaking like LeonCJ's Episodes from LV or something along those lines, I think it could motivate a lot of people to either play the mod, or even create missions themselves.

Personally, I've been replaying old mission packs & storylines and have been waiting for something new to play.

I'm a long time LND fan, believe me THBP's V for Vinegar is even better than Episodes from LV. (Sorry LND, you get bested)

Showroom is flooded with unfinished projects and it can be tedious to find finished projects that might give the illusion of 'no good stuff'.

Believe me, there is quite some good stuff still fresh and around.

Blessed Viper
  • Blessed Viper

Muscle Car Lover

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:30 AM

I'm a long time LND fan, believe me THBP's V for Vinegar is even better than Episodes from LV. (Sorry LND, you get bested)

Showroom is flooded with unfinished projects and it can be tedious to find finished projects that might give the illusion of 'no good stuff'.

Believe me, there is quite some good stuff still fresh and around.

I'll give V for Vinegar a shot, thanks for the recommendation!

fashion
  • fashion

No More Slots

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:04 AM

V for Vinegar is something that blows my mind. I haven't ever experienced such a MO and I've been playing since DYOM V4.
It also convinced me that DYOM isn't dead and that there's still room for innovation.

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

That sarcastic asshole you all have grown to love.

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

DYOM has a perfect opportunity to become extremely popular and flexible again by providing proper GTA Underground support. Even dkluin himself said he's ready to help from his end if DYOM devs are up for it. But they've seem to be neglecting the offer, and neglecting DYOM as a whole for the past, how long has it been.. two years now? So "Is it worth the effort?" is a reasonable question if you ask me.
  • HippieYoda likes this

Roxie
  • Roxie

Trying my best to avoid being a Tomato

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

DYOM IS LIFE
LIFE IS DYOM
DYOM 4 LIFE

MiranK
  • MiranK

Mission designer and San Fierro lover

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

We need that project that would hype this place up. I think this can be achieved only if people join in on the talks

bananaking13
  • bananaking13

if you like anime, you're an insecure tasty-ass fruit

• Members
  • Seychelles

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

I don't know if four weeks is a necrobump, but I have got a genius idea.

We make something like a DYOM mission pack using iconic protagonists that we can use (your own, a veteran's work with permission given or someone inactive's protagonist, no specific plot planned out). The rule is that no mods have to be used because it seems that mods make your mods worse by three times. Everyone will get the ability to participate, and it will cause a lot of hype around the DYOM community. If we can get a lot of people here working on one thing, then people will be like: "Yes, that's a great project!", and will ask to join in, and they'll be let in. It's simple, but it requires a lot of dedication.

SatournFan
  • SatournFan

eh

• The Yardies
  • Russia

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

I don't know if four weeks is a necrobump, but I have got a genius idea.

We make something like a DYOM mission pack using iconic protagonists that we can use (your own, a veteran's work with permission given or someone inactive's protagonist, no specific plot planned out). The rule is that no mods have to be used because it seems that mods make your mods worse by three times. Everyone will get the ability to participate, and it will cause a lot of hype around the DYOM community. If we can get a lot of people here working on one thing, then people will be like: "Yes, that's a great project!", and will ask to join in, and they'll be let in. It's simple, but it requires a lot of dedication.

last time we did a multi-designer project, most people stopped giving a f*ck midway and it received a rushed ending from the host. and that was back when DYOM forums were still decent in terms of activity and quality. if you really want to organize such an event, be my guest, but don't act surprised if it dies within the first month

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users