SNOW in Red Dead Redemption 2

18 replies to this topic
Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

Rockstar's environment artists have always done a great job imo. Every open world title is full with details and every area (desert, mountain, beach, city...) just "feels right". But what about snow in their games? I remember playing San Andreas in 2004. I really enjoyed the "Saint Mark's Bistro" mission where you fly to Liberty City during winter. Or Tall Trees and Chochinay in Red Dead Redemption 6 years later. Or the latest, North Yankton in GTA V. But over the last 5+ years other games like Mafia II (2010) or Assassin's Creed III (2012) did a better job when it comes to snowy landscapes imo. Sure, you could say that R* never really tried to create a big snowy open world area (so far) but i always thought that they could do a better job than Ubisoft or other developers. Down below is a little comparison between a few big open world titles.

Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar, 2010)        Mafia II (2K, 2010)        Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft, 2012)        GTA V (Rockstar, 2013)

Red Dead Redemption 2:

31833326806_ff8cf06391_c.jpg

31833326986_dde29afca1_c.jpg

But with the reveal trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2 i think it's safe to say that snow will cover a big part of the map this time. Even more so if the leaked map with "The Grizzlies" area turns out to be the real deal. The mountain ranges in the back look massive. Rockstar will probably use them as a world barrier but i guess most of this terrain can be fully explored. What do you guys think? Maybe Rockstar will also implement some track reader side missions (tracking down wanted people or wild animals). Changing seasons would be awesome of course, but i highly doubt that this will happen. Personally I can't wait to ride up there with my horse during night time, looking for some bears or just listening to the ambient sound while it's snowing.

Just a few thoughts about snow in Red Dead Redemption 2... Happy Christmas everyone!

• saintsrow, Gtaman_92, UltraGizmo64 and 1 other like this

éX-Driver
  • éX-Driver

Peon

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:35 AM

Rockstar's definition of snow is 'white paint on the ground' and 'replace fog/rain texture with snowflakes'. And if they're feeling particularly adventurous, add some visible breath texture. Don't expect any deformation or realistic snowfall and accumulation. They haven't done it with 3D rain (which are far easier to process, relatively speaking) they won't do it with snow.

Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

Maybe eX-Driver. GTAV was made for last gen consoles and is 3 years old. I suspect the snow will be better in R2D2. It would be neat if there were some areas of deep snow like in AC3.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Fascist, Loofa-faced s**t-gibbon.

• Members
  • Norfolk-Island

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

Rockstar's definition of snow is 'white paint on the ground' and 'replace fog/rain texture with snowflakes'. And if they're feeling particularly adventurous, add some visible breath texture. Don't expect any deformation or realistic snowfall and accumulation. They haven't done it with 3D rain (which are far easier to process, relatively speaking) they won't do it with snow.

I dunno. For a PS2 RenderWare/Gamebryo game, snow was done well in Bully.

Maybe R* will give us "Happy NY" RDR3 screen with snow on 31 December.

wagszilla
  • wagszilla

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:57 AM

I'd be more interested in snow in a GTA game but snow is very limiting. 

You're going to need different animations, additional layers on your physics system, etc. all for the end result of making gameplay more tedious. 

Njale
  • Njale

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

You're going to need different animations, additional layers on your physics system, etc. all for the end result of making gameplay more tedious. 

Gta 5 has animations for walking trough deep snow, but they are only used for like 30 minutes of gameplay

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

Don't expect any deformation or realistic snowfall and accumulation. 

Honest question, what game has ever actually done this? Same question for rain. I've played pretty much every open world game there is and I can't think of a single game within or even outside of that genre (and I'm including multiple snow-boarding games in that) that has ever had realistic accumulation of snow or rain. It's either snowing or it's not, and the most you ever see is tyre or foot prints in the snow. 

• saintsrow and Pastry like this

Achlys
  • Achlys

Penis Flytrap

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

I'd love to see snow, if Bully and GTAO can do it, then why not RDR2?

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:25 AM

Gta 5 has animations for walking trough deep snow, but they are only used for like 30 minutes of gameplay

This made me think of the "walking through mud animation" in GTA V. Would perfectly work for deep snow too.

éX-Driver
  • éX-Driver

Peon

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:30 AM Edited by éX-Driver, 08 January 2017 - 12:30 AM.

Honest question, what game has ever actually done this? Same question for rain. I've played pretty much every open world game there is and I can't think of a single game within or even outside of that genre (and I'm including multiple snow-boarding games in that) that has ever had realistic accumulation of snow or rain. It's either snowing or it's not, and the most you ever see is tyre or foot prints in the snow. 
For rain, it's been done in racing simulators for years. Real time puddle accumulation, and dynamic drying lines. Of course, that's not an open world title. But it proves it's possible with current technology to replicate it.
There's also realtime deformable and accumulating mud and dirt in many even Indie games (Spin Tyres comes to mind) where it's fully possible to dig into the ground and get your 4x4 completely stuck. (Snow could simply be a reskin of that) And those are again Indie games with a hundredth the budget and manpower of Rockstar games.
Ubisoft just released Steep which has deformable snow, though it isn't accumulative.

Arthur Fookin Shelby
  • Arthur Fookin Shelby

Murder Maketh Man

• Daily Globe
  • None

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:17 PM Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby, 19 January 2017 - 06:17 PM.

The trailer really gave us a glance at the range of environments and I believe R* will really focus on this.

I'd love to see the character reacting to depths of snow and how gun fights will play out there, maybe you're more open to slipping/ falling over.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:35 AM

RDR2 needs a section of the story line with a mountain man.  

Jeremiah Johnson

• TheHumanIsland likes this

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:39 AM

Maybe eX-Driver. GTAV was made for last gen consoles and is 3 years old. I suspect the snow will be better in R2D2. It would be neat if there were some areas of deep snow like in AC3.

Yea, they need to make it superb for the Scorpio.

Pastry
  • Pastry

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

This made me think of the "walking through mud animation" in GTA V. Would perfectly work for deep snow too.

It's already used when walking through heavy snow in North Yankton.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

For rain, it's been done in racing simulators for years. Real time puddle accumulation, and dynamic drying lines. Of course, that's not an open world title. But it proves it's possible with current technology to replicate it.
There's also realtime deformable and accumulating mud and dirt in many even Indie games (Spin Tyres comes to mind) where it's fully possible to dig into the ground and get your 4x4 completely stuck. (Snow could simply be a reskin of that) And those are again Indie games with a hundredth the budget and manpower of Rockstar games.
Ubisoft just released Steep which has deformable snow, though it isn't accumulative.

So the answer to my question, delivered in an incredibly roundabout way is actually "still none"?

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:17 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 26 January 2017 - 11:19 AM.

RDR2 needs a section of the story line with a mountain man.  

Jeremiah Johnson

And man in the wilderness as well as its remake the revenant  :^:

• saintsrow likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

[snip]

So the answer to my question, delivered in an incredibly roundabout way is actually "still none"?

This is why the experts get the big bucks.

stjimmy3
  • stjimmy3

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:27 AM

No offense to the Australian, but as a Canadian I can verify the snow in NY in GTA V is pretty f*cking dead on. Probably the best I've seen in a video game 

GameChristopher
  • GameChristopher

Cayne

• Members

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:25 AM

No offense to the Australian, but as a Canadian I can verify the snow in NY in GTA V is pretty f*cking dead on. Probably the best I've seen in a video game 

Burn.

I think the GTAV snow is quite good. You can see tire tracks, footprints, breath, piles, flakes, and throw snowballs. What more do you want with a game that also has to process newspapers flapping across the street in the breeze?

• stjimmy3 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users