The Soundtrack

28 replies to this topic
Two And Three
  • Two And Three

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

One thing that would be really cool is if Rockstar licensed some of Ennio Morricone's masterpieces for their game. I think that would really add to the atmosphere. It don't have to be his most popular Spaghetti Western themes, but just a few would add a lot. If you don't know who Ennio Morricone is... Here have a read

https://en.wikipedia...Ennio_Morricone

What do you think of that idea? And do you have any ideas for the soundtrack?

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Papacu
  • Papacu

Yo soy tu Papacu

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

not gonna happen

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

One thing that would be really cool is if Rockstar licensed some of Ennio Morricone's masterpieces for their game. I think that would really add to the atmosphere. It don't have to be his most popular Spaghetti Western themes, but just a few would add a lot. If you don't know who Ennio Morricone is... Here have a read

Already happened with Red Dead Revolver. As much as I love Ennio Morricone's masterpieces, I'd rather have an original soundtrack like Red Dead Redemption's.
  • Mister Pink and Ivan1997GTA like this

Two And Three
  • Two And Three

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

Already happened with Red Dead Revolver. As much as I love Ennio Morricone's masterpieces, I'd rather have an original soundtrack like Red Dead Redemption's.

I never knew it happened. Thanks for telling! Well, I could live without it. But we can both agree, that if that happened it would be cool!

Oldsport
  • Oldsport

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:10 AM

I hope i hear the entertainer by scott joplin in saloons

DGSimo
  • DGSimo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:39 AM

Red Dead Redemption didn't need or use Morricone and had one of the best scores in a video game. I don't see, nor really want, Morricone featured in RDR2 as a result.

The piece of score we heard in the trailer sounded great so I'm excited for what they'll do for the rest of the score.
  • Perez84 and BurnettVice like this

BurnettVice
  • BurnettVice

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:04 AM

^^^

I totally agree with this! The soundtrack to RDR was amazing. I hope they bring back everyone who did the soundtrack from the last game.

LeakyLine
  • LeakyLine

VS/PBMO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:10 AM

I hope to hear Compass again.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

Red Dead Redemption didn't need or use Morricone and had one of the best scores in a video game. I don't see, nor really want, Morricone featured in RDR2 as a result.

The piece of score we heard in the trailer sounded great so I'm excited for what they'll do for the rest of the score.

I loved the drums at the end. I'll be surprised if they don't bring Woody Jackson back at least, as he's worked on all their latest games as well as RDR (LA Noire, Max Payne 3, GTA V).

They might bring James Curd on board as well. He's the guy who does the soundtracks for the latest GTA Online updates, including the Biker Update which I believe Woody Jackson helped him with.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:32 PM Edited by Spider-Vice, 27 December 2016 - 03:33 PM.

Ergh... Rather not have an electronic artist doing stuff for RDR, imo. I actually don't really like his latest GTA Online tracks. (James Curd, that is - they even brought Take a Day Trip, a trap/electro artist on board now). I'm 99% sure Woody Jackson will be making stuff too however, after all he's one of the main Rockstar score guys. :p

• UltraGizmo64 and Ivan1997GTA like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:18 PM

Ergh... Rather not have an electronic artist doing stuff for RDR, imo. I actually don't really like his latest GTA Online tracks. (James Curd, that is - they even brought Take a Day Trip, a trap/electro artist on board now). I'm 99% sure Woody Jackson will be making stuff too however, after all he's one of the main Rockstar score guys. :p

I wonder if Bill Elm will return as well. Does anyone know if he worked with Rockstar since RDR?

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Homeboy

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

Some of you might find this interesting if you've not already seen it - mini-doc on the making of the music of RDR

• Spider-Vice, Noclue_42, Payne Killer and 3 others like this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Estancia!!! 

/nuffsaid 

• sleepwalk1980 likes this

Baked English Beans
  • Baked English Beans

[Insert cheeky line here]

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:36 AM

I'd be surprised if Jackson and Elm aren't back, that violin in the final seconds of the trailer oozed of them

éX-Driver
  • éX-Driver

Playa

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:31 AM

If they license any music, here's hoping for Dick Dale. His sound is just perfect for westerns for some reason.

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Homeboy

• Members
  • England

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

100% original music, no licensing, would be a beautiful thing.

Why spend all that time, money, blood, sweat and tears on a game only to use someone elses music

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

Hell they've got the money to hire Ennio Morricone for the whole title now, but thats good about rockstar they'll always source talent from unknowns if they can.

As long as the soundtrack is awesome, I don't mind. Definitely wouldn't mind another José Gonzalez song in another 'travelling' transition like RDR.

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

I wouldn't mind some Morricone in the background of cutscenes or something like that. Like noticeable, but the main soundtrack is original. Then again, RDR 1 didn't use any of his music, so it could work either way.

toxluv
  • toxluv

男の子は泣かない

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Italy

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

I'd like to hear Ennio Morricone in Red Dead Redemption 2, but only if he works with Rockstar Games as a composer and brings to the table something new. That will be amazing!
  • Mister Pink, Ivan1997GTA and Arthur Fookin Shelby like this

Arthur Fookin Shelby
  • Arthur Fookin Shelby

Cave Canem

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

If Ennio added to the soundtrack I'd rather it were something new to give the world its own atmosphere.

RDR had an amazing score which really set the game apart from anything else.

• saintsrow likes this

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:34 AM Edited by Rucke, 18 January 2017 - 07:13 PM.

I'd be surprised if Jackson and Elm aren't back, that violin in the final seconds of the trailer oozed of them

Woody Jackson also composed the score for GTA V (together with Tangerine Dream and Alchemist & Oh No). I hope he and Bill are composing the score for RDR2 as well. That would be epic.

• otachi likes this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

They probably are coming back. After all they are lead composers there and I don't think any of them left R*.

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

They probably are coming back. After all they are lead composers there and I don't think any of them left R*.

Woody Jackson and Bill Elm are not employed by Rockstar. They do a lot of other stuff. Woody has worked on the music for Ocean's Twelve and Thirteen and many other Hollywood blockbusters (not necessarily as a composer though). 

• Spider-Vice likes this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

Forgot about that indeed, Craig Conner was the only one employed by them. But still I think they'll pick them back up.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:06 AM

If Ennio added to the soundtrack I'd rather it were something new to give the world its own atmosphere.

RDR had an amazing score which really set the game apart from anything else.

Indeed, a very minimal Morricone might work, in the same vein as the minimal soundtrack in RDR added atmosphere.  I think he is too epic in scale to work in an interactive video game, however.  

Morricone works beautifully with the films because of (and adding to) the epic drama.  I think it would be a stretch to try to force this over missions or cutscenes, except for maybe one or two big dramatic transitions, like the opening into Mexico in RDR.   

Slightly, related, I don't think the Tang Dream work added much to GTAV.  It was probably originally conceived as a big scale art project like it would be used in Michael Mann's Heat, or the rich urban jazz in Taxi Driver, but again, the musical melodrama would overtake the game if overused.  The minimal Tang Dream droning that was left in GTAV, didn't do much for me.  

• Arthur Fookin Shelby likes this

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:04 AM

The soundtrack will be awesome. We all know that by now.

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

The soundtrack will be awesome. We all know that by now.

It's pretty much impossible to let us down with a R* soundtrack. Even GTA V's (a game I'm on the fence about) sounded great.
  • tonko and Two And Three like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:08 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 19 January 2017 - 06:16 PM.

I was very happy with the OST. Morricone's stuff while amazing has been copied and parodied so much that it can sound a little passe. While Rockstar have obviously taken huge inspiration from all the great westerns, Rockstar get to forge this nice original western piece for themselves. Besides, Bill Elm and Woody Jackson did such a great job, they will set the bar for the next generation who will want a RDR sounding soundtrack in their western.

Unless, it's like it's used as Jose Gonzalez's tracks was used like a "intermission" or like a transitional stage that's used as a once-off.  Or like toxluv said, brings something new. 

• Switch likes this

Switch
  • Switch

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Iraq

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:45 AM Edited by Switch, 22 January 2017 - 12:46 AM.

Ennio Morricone would be amazing, but Rockstar did a great job on the RDR soundtrack as others have mentioned already. Either way i trust Rockstar to deliver a great score.

• Mister Pink likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users