Quantcast

» «
Photo

Best games to play while waiting for RDR2?

16 replies to this topic
GTAVAu
  • GTAVAu

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

This got me thinking, it's been a while since I played RDR and of course that is going to be one game to play to get back into the "Red Dead vibe", but what are some other games you think would be good to play while waiting for RDR 2 to arrive? Im gonna dust off Call of Juarez as well!

canyonjack
  • canyonjack

NOTM

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:41 PM Edited by canyonjack, 21 December 2016 - 10:42 PM.

personally, there's enough new sh*t coming out to hold me off till RDR2. Not many Western games are particularly good anyway.

South Park, Mass Effect, haven't started Last Guardian yet, Halo Wars 2, Persona 5, Crackdown 3, Gran Turismo Sport, etc. tons of great stuff coming otu from now to Fall 17.

edit: lol why is "sh*t" censored on a Grand Theft Auto fan forum

• GTAVAu likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:14 PM Edited by saintsrow, 22 December 2016 - 08:17 PM.

I haven't played Call of Jaurez or Call of Jaurez The Cartel, and I think they got bad reviews, but hey, they're westerns.  

I do really like The Cartel's music soundtrack, and I just sampled the original Call of Jaurez soundtrack, and it sounds pretty nice, too.  These are not minimalistic like the RDR soundtrack.  

I have grabbed a few of the the songs from youtube.  Just listening to the western music, when I'm out and about, gets me in the western mood.  

EDIT:  So just now, I was listening to the Call of Jaurez Bound in Blood soundtrack on youtube, to a nice, particularly droning piece at about 38 minutes in, and the drone sound kept getting louder.  I thought, who mixed this thing?  They're making the drone too loud. 

I wondered what was going on, so I stopped the playback, and I still heard the loud drone.  WTF?  

Then I realized that the drone was coming from some gardener across the street, with one of those stupid useless leaf blowers, and it sounded just like in GTAV, when you're up in the Vinewood Hills, and the sound of the gardeners and lawnmowers is a constant background.  

Full circle - reality to video game to reality.  

infectedG636
  • infectedG636

Red Dead Redemption 2 Prediction Release date: 05/08/2018

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Play Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare on Expert aim.  

• sleepwalk1980 likes this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

Boy You Make Me Make Bad Decisions

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

Gun? It's a fun game that's similar to RDR.
  • tonko, Payne Killer and The Deadite like this

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

Red Dead Revolver.

• Wu-Tang Forever likes this

LV_Jag
  • LV_Jag

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

I've been playing Overwatch and just started Mafia III.  Mafia will definitely hold me over until RDR2 is released.

If you're looking for old west styled games, then play RDR again.  I don't think there's much else out there.

Papacu
  • Papacu

Yo soy tu Papacu

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

Sunset Riders

• GrizzJack likes this

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

The Infidel

• Members
  • Cook-Islands

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:13 PM

Call of Juarez Bound In Blood

Call of Juarez Gunslinger

A Must

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

I wish I could've something interesting to play while waiting for RDR2. Barely anything interests me outside the works of Rockstar and one or two other developers. Two weeks ago, I tried to replay San Andreas on PS4 (nostalgia, eh?) and I couldn't last for half an hour before I abandoned it. It's very technologically backward now and I couldn't handle it. The funny thing is that I was able to make my way to the end of Max Payne 1 while having actual fun 5 years ago, but now I cannot bring myself to play any of these old games because of their backwardness!

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

OG

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

THIS so much.

C'mon gtaf, no love for GUN?
Is a pretty good game, look for it if you like gore/gratituous violence and enjoy arcady gameplay.
  • Femme Fatale and Payne Killer like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:11 AM

Call Of Jaurez: Bound In Blood was what I played when I was waiting for RDR, but can't forget the original either. The Cartel? Well it's a bit hit and miss with its technical issues and modern setting, but still a good game IMO.

And of course GUN. Unfortunately the Western genre is thinly spread and there isn't a lot of games to choose from. There are probably older games, but nothing that comes to mind.
  • Wu-Tang Forever, Payne Killer and GrizzJack like this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

Mad Max

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

Seconding all the recommendations for Call of Juarez. I've only played Bound in Blood and Gunslinger, and they're both gold. I need to do a new playthrough of BiB sometime; it's been years and it had some amazing moments, such as being chased in a canoe down a gorgeous river.

As for me? This is a pretty polarizing game for various reasons (story isn't everyone's cup of tea, and gameplay can be pretty slow and linear with a bit of a learning curve, especially if you're an AC newcomer like I was when I got it), but if you haven't played it, Assassin's Creed III really gave me that RDR feel. It's not a true open world (rather, divided into sections), but you get a huge beautiful Frontier to explore and hunt in, and some very authentic towns that really make you feel like you're in Colonial America. And you can get it for super cheap nowadays. Furthermore, although the setting is way different from RDR, AC IV: Black Flag really gives me that feel too. It's basically for the Golden Age of Piracy what RDR was for the Old West. As much of a III fanboy as I am, even I'll admit that AC IV is the superior game, and you can get it for cheap nowadays too.

Also, Far Cry 3 and FC4. They're first-person shooters, but also happen to be set in huge open worlds with vast wilderness to explore, animals to hunt (and be hunted by...) and all sorts of fun things to see and do. Far Cry Primal is very different, in that it's set in prehistoric times which severely limits your weaponry, but it's definitely worth playing if you like the other games, or just want a caveman FPS.

I just realized that none of my recommendations are westerns :p Which says a lot about how criminally underexplored the genre is when it comes to video games. Still, I think these games all give that similar feel to RDR.

Skarekrow
  • Skarekrow

citizen punk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

Agreed. Along with RDR, Gun is probably one of the best wild west adventure games you can find... Similar gameplay to RDR to boot as well.
  • Femme Fatale likes this

DGSimo
  • DGSimo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:09 AM

THIS so much.

C'mon gtaf, no love for GUN?
Is a pretty good game, look for it if you like gore/gratituous violence and enjoy arcady gameplay.

GUN was a great game for the time. It was a good effort at trying to do a mature Western coming off the success of Deadwood with terrific voice talent and a big map to play around with. It's a bit hard to go back to though as it hasn't exactly aged well and feels limited obviously compared to RDR.

Sadly there's really not too much in the Western game genre to tide anyone over until RDR2. The downside to RDR's success is that it did everything so well that nobody could come close to trying to make something compareable or even tried, which is why we've only since a handful of Western games since 2010.

All that said aside, for me personally a lot of games have came out prior to 2016 ending and heading into 2017 there's more on the way. lol To scratch that Western itch though I'm going to replay RDR on the Xbox One and thankfully there's been no shortage of Western movies and television released in the last few years, plus I think I'll finally get to finish reading Blood Meridian...hopefully. lol
  • Wu-Tang Forever and tonko like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

If you're a PC Player then you can take a look at the Wild West Collection GOGmix and choose accordingly, if any game interests you. From the list, I've enjoyed playing Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive, and would also personally recommend it.
Other interesting games to play:
*. Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven. Not a wild west game but a masterpiece in terms of storytelling. Its set in 1930s and revolves around a mobster's rise in the ranks of organized crime. For more details on the game, you can check out my GTA F profile page.
*. Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines another storytelling masterpiece with an interesting, superbly fleshed out, and highly atmospheric setting to immerse the player's in vampires world. It is based on White Wolf's popular pen and paper RPG.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

The Infidel

• Members
  • Cook-Islands

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:22 PM Edited by Street Mix, 16 January 2017 - 12:22 PM.

Another one western:

Dead Man's Hand - 2004 PC/Xbox FPS from Human Head Studios

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users