• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:30 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 03 October 2017 - 04:07 PM.

Just seen a big billboard poster of this yesterday. So surreal seeing a Blade Runner billboard sign. Not something I would have ever expected.

I'm going to see it on Thursday. Haven't been this excited for a film in the cinema in a long time and you know it's going to a great big-screen experience.

• Tchuck, Kippers and Ivan1997GTA like this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:12 PM

Im seeing it tonight :D im getting so baked :lol:

Kippers
  • Kippers

しようがない

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:50 PM Edited by Kippers, 06 October 2017 - 05:04 PM.

Just got back from seeing it and hugely enjoyed it. Loved it, even. It looked and sounded beautiful and I liked the pacing and the lack of cutting in places. It allowed you time to really absorb everything and take in the world. And because of that there are scenes in there that will stick with me. Visually there's just a lot to take in and the acting was great from everyone. It actually felt like Harrison Ford cared about this performance. They actually managed to do it all justice. 

There would be a couple of small asterisks in here, but spoiler-y, and they didn't take away from how I felt about it. Interesting in hearing some other people's opinions in here. 

• Tchuck, Mister Pink and Ivan1997GTA like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

Just got back from seeing it and hugely enjoyed it. Loved it, even. It looked and sounded beautiful and I liked the pacing and the lack of cutting in places. It allowed you time to really absorb everything and take in the world. And because of that there are scenes in there that will stick with me. Visually there's just a lot to take in and the acting was great from everyone. It actually felt like Harrison Ford cared about this performance. They actually managed to do it all justice. 

There would be a couple of small asterisks in here, but spoiler-y, and they didn't take away from how I felt about it. Interesting in hearing some other people's opinions in here. 

Very interesting observation about the lack of cutting - the first movie was similar. Shots would go on several seconds longer for no real reason but to let you absorb the world in and that helped make it so mch more real.

• Mister Pink likes this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

That's a pretty weird and disgusting idea big guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:44 PM Edited by Richard Power Colt, 06 October 2017 - 07:57 PM.

I love those long shots. Really gets you sucked into a movie. I just got back from seeing it and I definitely would recommend people to go see it at the theater. It's a beautiful film.

Some thoughts about the ending below. Not really revealing anything specific about what happens, but more so just how I felt about it. Put them in spoiler tags just in case:
Spoiler
  • Kippers and Mister Pink like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:45 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 08 October 2017 - 11:57 PM.

Just back from watching it. It's a great film. It's all ready been said but the style of it very much keeps in line with the original. The music was phenomenal, every frame was a painting. Amazing use of colour, light and shadows. And the story is clever. It didn't sell out. It's definitely not a cheap Hollywood cash-in. It's the real deal. 

Story detail and spoilers..

Spoiler

• Tchuck and Kippers like this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:46 AM

Just back from watching it. It's a great film. It's all ready been said but the style of it very much keeps in line with the original. The music was phenomenal, every frame was a painting. Amazing use of colour, light and shadows. And the story is clever. It didn't sell out. It's definitely not a cheap Hollywood cash-in. It's the real deal. 

Spoiler

Spoiler
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:56 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 09 October 2017 - 12:57 AM.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:09 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
  • Tchuck and Mister Pink like this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

Apparently it's not doing very well in the box office :(

Such a shame, we need more movies like this.

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:19 PM Edited by deadx23, 09 October 2017 - 01:27 PM.

Spoiler

*Spoiler alert*
Spoiler
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

The more I think about this film, the more I think it's brilliant. Even though at the time I wasn't getting that thrilling feeling I got from watching Terminator 2 in the cinema. Those films aren't comparable, I'm purely comparing the cinematic experience. But as a film, the Blade Runner world is fascinating. My only gripe is that I don't think we get to see enough of it. I mean I would have loved more, on the ground cinematography, more peoples faces like the in the original when Dekker goes to the noodle stand. 

If anyone is thinking about going to see this, definitely do especially if you are looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077.

• deadx23 and Ivan1997GTA like this

RARusk
  • RARusk

The Man With No Avatar

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:52 AM

*Spoiler alert*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Indi
  • Indi

In The Air Tonight

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:07 AM Edited by Indi, 10 October 2017 - 03:17 AM.

There will never be a fully conclusive answer to whether Deckard is a replicant or not.

If you want to take Ridley's view then he's a replicant. If you want to take Philip K. Dick's view he's a human. If you feel "The Final Cut" is the most full version of Blade Runner then he's a replicant.

It will never be answered. 2049 made this intentionally ambiguous and the fact that so many versions of the original have been released with conflicting scenes and answers.

Ridley I believe wanted Deckard to be a replicant but the studio meddled with sh*t and he didn't get his way. One of the writers also felt that the mystery is more alluring than the answer and he challenged Ridley on that.

Ford played Deckard as a human when he was acting in the original. Whether Harrison changed his mind now is another thing.

Personally I kind of want to side with Ridley since it's his vision, but 2049 didn't exactly spell it out in big letters either so...

...yeah, I don't take any view apart from "it's ambiguous."

Also, 2049 is a great f*cking film. Not better than the original and I don't think it intended to be better than the original either. Good sh*t! Sucks big time that it's semi-bombing too; shame, was never going to be an easy sell.

This film will have the same fate as the original: cult classic status.
  • Tchuck, Kippers and Mister Pink like this

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Car
    Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

Spoiler

Brilliant movie in every respect.

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:51 PM

Spoiler

Brilliant movie in every respect.

Spoiler

I'll have to go watch it again I really liked it :)

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:07 PM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 10 October 2017 - 08:07 PM.

Spoiler

• deadx23 likes this

Indi
  • Indi

In The Air Tonight

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

What do people think about this anyway?

Coin
  • Coin

Feroci

• BUSTED!
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:50 AM

Just got back from watching it. Thoroughly enjoyed it

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:49 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 11 October 2017 - 01:52 PM.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7o0rvVxU0w

Yeah, I think Ridley Scott loves the idea of the Deckard being a replicant even if Harrison Ford dismisses the idea. And I think Denis Villenueve, like I mentioned earlier, is in love the the mystery of it. The question is better than the answer. 

I'm inclined to agree with Villenueve that it's best left unknown. The beauty is the complex nature of Deckard questioning himself.

Blade Runner gives me the same chills that Terminator gave me about what dilemmas and future conundrums humanity may have to face in the future. Or maybe that we wont face these exact questions but the films make it a plausible or believable potential issue: mans relationship with technology. 

Spoiler

Don't watch this video if you haven't seen the films.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

Deckard being a replicant makes it a more interesting film. The perspective that's presented as the human perspective comes off as the most robotic while the perspective that's meant to be robotic comes off as the most human. The lines are blurred.

Indi
  • Indi

In The Air Tonight

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:47 PM Edited by Indi, 11 October 2017 - 10:51 PM.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7o0rvVxU0w

Yeah, I think Ridley Scott loves the idea of the Deckard being a replicant even if Harrison Ford dismisses the idea. And I think Denis Villenueve, like I mentioned earlier, is in love the the mystery of it. The question is better than the answer. 

I'm inclined to agree with Villenueve that it's best left unknown. The beauty is the complex nature of Deckard questioning himself.

Blade Runner gives me the same chills that Terminator gave me about what dilemmas and future conundrums humanity may have to face in the future. Or maybe that we wont face these exact questions but the films make it a plausible or believable potential issue: mans relationship with technology. 

Spoiler

Don't watch this video if you haven't seen the films.

Haha.  I like what Ridley said about so called "professional filmmakers" telling other filmmakers what is right and what is wrong.  There is no right and wrong.  If you follow rules you're gonna do the same sh*t as last time and you're not going to get any progression in the medium.

As far as Ridley saying Deckard "has to be a replicant in-order for 2049 to happen," I wonder what it is exactly he is referring to in the new film (I still have no f*cking idea what he means).  Is it the fact that only

Spoiler
, could it have been the
Spoiler

I want to see what Ridley says about that in the future after it hits a home release.

Coin
  • Coin

Feroci

• BUSTED!
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:08 AM

I think the beauty of whether Deckard is a replicant or human is that, whatever he is, it is completely inconsequential to the story and the themes it tackles.

• Mister Pink likes this

Tyler
  • Tyler

always shred the gnar

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:58 AM

I think that's slightly missing the point. The point, as far as I can see from the film and the original novel, is that humanity means something more than just being a breathing person. There are people like Tyrell who are surely alive, but are much less human than characters like Roy Batty. The former is a static aristocrat in a society that shows no growth through the film, while the latter finds his own personal meaning in life despite coming against the ultimate wall: imminent mortality. The final two scenes in the original really drive this point home. Deckard is visibly shocked by the humanity that Roy Batty displays despite also being, ostensibly, a murderous rogue machine. To hit us even more with the point, Deckard's own person-hood is left ambiguous, and his final escape with Rachel is marked by the line, "it's too bad she won't live... But then again who does?"

I dunno. I think the fact that the replicants aren't people is pretty integral to at least a few of the themes that the films and original novel were going for. 

• El Dildo, Mister Pink, Richard Power Colt and 1 other like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:27 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 13 October 2017 - 07:28 PM.

Being a videogame forum, I'm going to drop this here as I'm playing Deus Ex again. 

It's an article that draws similarities between Blade Runner and Deus Ex as it shares many of the same themes. It's arguably the closest videogame you'll get to Blade Runner, possibly at least until Cyberpunk comes out.

The Video Game to Play if You Love Blade Runner

The Deus Ex series of games are set in a dystopian cyberpunk future where people can augment themselves into cyborgs with special abilities—but in doing so, they ethically and legally bring their status as human beings into question. Like in the real world, corporations in Deus Ex games own things before we figure out what they mean, and characters have to navigate a world where power that few understand is willfully given to those most prone to abuse it. As far as themes go, it's a greatest hits album of cyberpunk lit—touching on stuff like William Gibson's Neuromancer as well as, of course, Blade Runner.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is also on sale on Xbox store now too. Good a time as any to play it you haven't all ready. I think the series is underrated. Playing Deus Ex gave me mad Blade Runner vibes. It's great if you like snooping around in a near-future cyberpunk world, creeping through vents, sewers, hacking in to places you shouldn't be, multiple approaches to gain access to certain places, RPG elements, stealth or just exploring an interesting world. 

I don't know, some times I watch a great film and inspires me to want to play a game in that world. Deus Ex is closest you'll get to Blade Runner, mostly in themes and kind of environmentally. 

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

the OST for this film is straight out of human revolutions tbh

• Kippers and Mister Pink like this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:05 PM

Speaking of the soundtrack, while I do think it's pretty good I don't really like it as much as the original by Vangelis. I feel like a lot of it is kinda just simplistic and loud ambient noise and there's no particular track that really stands out for me. It does work quite well in the film, but on its own I don't find it as enjoyable to listen to. 

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

I loved the soundtrack but never thought I would really sit down and listen to it by itself. It's very much a compliment to the film and while some OST's are great as a standalone, this music while it can be beautiful in it's own right, is a collaborative effort: intentionally to be heard with the visuals and I think that's fine too. My dad actually asked me who did the music and I said the same to him. 

• Richard Power Colt and Ivan1997GTA like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users