Custom maps created with new props [Deathmatches]

98 replies to this topic
Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 3 weeks ago

If you die in water the object should respawn in it's original location no?

Does it? I don't know either. I placed a few large props under the map so that the falling players don't take too long to die because the map is almost at max height allowed...

I think it does, I got a capture made way up in the sky and I'm pretty sure it respawns on death.

Also, little something I'm working on...

Spoiler

Hmm, I'll try to test it with a friend. Thanks.

It's looking good man. Also like the color scheme.

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Foxy Stevenson, 2 weeks ago.

Unreal Underpass (PS4)

2_0.jpg

2-16 players

Forced + Pickups (recommended for a better experience)

Another custom map made only with props. This map has verticality, tight corridors, open mid areas, shallow water and more colored walls for good depth perception and cosmetic purposes.

I was trying to go for a map that fitted atleast 20 players, but I'm finding it hard to balance detail and quality over quantity. So I'm probably going to keep making maps that do not go over 16 players to maintain my standards.

Enjoy. :)

• raymond_calitri and sleepwalk1980 like this

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted 2 weeks ago

ORANGE & BLUE

2_0.jpg

2 - 12 players / Tear Gas, Molotov, Pistol, Machine Pistol, Pump Shotgun, Assault Rifle

Multi-level team deathmatch set inside two large arenas separated by a narrow corridor and an underwater channel.

Weapons are concentrated in the corridor to force close combat, with the single assault rifle marking the map centre.

Blue dumpsters and containers provide cover, or use the underwater tunnel to flank your opponents.

http://rsg.ms/1d67352

Flythrough Video

• Foxy Stevenson likes this

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 2 weeks ago

ORANGE & BLUE

http://rsg.ms/1d67352

Flythrough Video

Wow! That map looks promising. I like the 2 color tone of the map, and the symmetry is just amazing. The multi-level is always a plus because it adds so much more potential to the map, reminds me of a quake or unreal tournament style map. I can see that a lot of work was put into it and not just random placing props, spawns and done.

Post some gameplay video of this map please. :)

• sleepwalk1980 likes this

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'll run a test of it and post up some footage :)

It's taken a LONG time to get that built, went through many versions before it was done!

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Here it is! My most recent and most epic remake of any map yet! Requested by a fellow crew member, here is:

De_Aztec

2_0.jpg

Spoiler

2-22 players

Pickups are: Carbine, Heavy Sniper and Tear Gas.

Recreating a map made with props is not that hard, but when you have a limit of 150 it's though to manage and optimize the prop usage. I've managed to sucessfuly recreate De_Aztec in the most detailed way possible, the layout is not 100% true to the original due to prop limits but the scale, the feel, the key corners, boxes, and doors, are ALL there.

If you ever played the original in Cs you will instantly recognize the map and navigate through it just like the real one! Enjoy :)

Tips when playing this map: Use tear gas inbetween doors to delay the enemy and prevent rushes.

• Claude4Catalina and sleepwalk1980 like this

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted 2 weeks ago

Here it is! My most recent and most epic remake of any map yet! Requested by a fellow crew member, here is:

De_Aztec

2_0.jpg

Recreating a map made with props is not that hard, but when you have a limit of 150 it's though to manage and optimize the prop usage.

Watched a video of the map as I've never played CS. Looks dope man. Another sweet map.

I feel your pain about managing prop use. I've had 3/4s of a map made since the days of 100 props. It's the Showtime map from CoD Ghosts (a remake of Shipment from CoD4MW).

But I just cannot finish it!! Even now with 150 props and the platforms, I can't get it right. It's been thru so many versions, I may scrap it and start from scratch...

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Watched a video of the map as I've never played CS. Looks dope man. Another sweet map.

I feel your pain about managing prop use. I've had 3/4s of a map made since the days of 100 props. It's the Showtime map from CoD Ghosts (a remake of Shipment from CoD4MW).

But I just cannot finish it!! Even now with 150 props and the platforms, I can't get it right. It's been thru so many versions, I may scrap it and start from scratch...

Thanks. A few tricks you can do is use 1 prop to be apart of multiple walls. Also using the "Stunt Track Extra Short" prop saves me a few props because it can be used as a corner connecting to 2 crossing hallways.

Sometimes simplifying the layout a bit is necessary, also if you know that a prop for a wall isn't long enough try making your maps with the prop dimensions in mind, like the height of walls and corridors.

It's kind of hard to explain but I've learned how to optimize every prop usage so that it's not completly wasted just in one part of the map. I'll post some overview screenshots of De_Aztec so you can see how messy and confusing it looks from above, but in reality it's as clean looking as it can get. :)

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yup my orange and blue map looks a complete mess from above/outside, bit it's clean inside so its all good.

the "Stunt Track Extra Short" prop saves me a few props because it can be used as a corner connecting to 2 crossing hallways.

What do you mean here - can't picture it...

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

What do you mean here - can't picture it...

Well its a large square prop that can be put in a corner instead of placing 2 "wall" props. Using this multiple times in your map can save you some props, but in this case:

Spoiler

you can use the props like this:

Spoiler

The red rectangles are the large track props you can place. See how few props I "place" and how I can get the layout right. This is one of many ways I can save props for other stuff, simplifying the layout but keeping it the same as the original.

Also the floor of the map should always be the largest flat prop you can place, unless it has multi-levels.

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

This is the original map:

Spoiler

and this is my remake:

Spoiler

Notice how I use the stunt track blocks for multiple purposes, and also using 1 prop for more than 1 wall.

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 2 weeks ago

De_Aztec showcase

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago

Ah yeah I see what you meen now!! I was confused and thought you meant the stunt track (roadway) totally didn't think of using the raised tracks. That's going to be a HUGE help!.

That's a seriously impressive build for the Aztec map! Gonna have to step my game up haha.

Do you plan your maps out on paper first, I know some people do. I tend to just zoom around the map with the job camera until I see a good spot, then I just sort of start building and let things grow organically. I think I'm going to plan things more as I want specific things in my maps and building them without planning is limiting what I can do. For instance, I might decide I want a corridor halfway through building but removing walls and remaking bits to accomodate it would be too labour intensive.

It's good to chat to someone who is passionate about building DMs as I am. The RSC is so madly disappointing when you go through it looking to see what others have made and it's all sh*te.

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago Edited by Foxy Stevenson, A week ago.

Thank you. :)

When it comes to creating an original map, I first imagine something that I want to create, like for example in my map Unreal Crossway 2, I imagined a small river with a few bridges crossing it and multi-level hallways and tunnels. I started with the river and then the bridges. 

Funny enough I open ms paint, and draw a basic layout of the map, something that makes sense and it's doable. Then as things start to shape up I add final details, Always keeping an eye on the prop limit.

Tip: When creating maps 100% out of props always finish your map with atleast 40 props remaining, so that you can add boxes, details and cover.

Here are a few drawings in paint:

Unreal Underpass:

Spoiler

Unreal Crossway 2

Spoiler
  • raymond_calitri and sleepwalk1980 like this

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago

Seems like a good idea to draw stuff out first. Might have to give that a go. I feel like my maps are pretty good, well built, fairly interesting but they're just not... there, y'know. They're not great maps. I guess a little forward planning can't hurt, could be what I'm missing!

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

Seems like a good idea to draw stuff out first. Might have to give that a go. I feel like my maps are pretty good, well built, fairly interesting but they're just not... there, y'know. They're not great maps. I guess a little forward planning can't hurt, could be what I'm missing!

Everyone has their own style, try a specific way that you like creating and start planning maps.

spukin
  • spukin

Snitch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted A week ago

De_Aztec by Foxy is f*ckin epic

Ninja_Nicoya
  • Ninja_Nicoya

Skillz

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Not bad.

raymond_calitri
  • raymond_calitri

Verified

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by raymond_calitri, A week ago.

== Rifle Town, Sniper Town, Pistol Town ==
XB1, TDM, 2-30 players

wN56j7D.jpg

(all three are the same map, different forced weapons for each bookmark)

link to Rifle Town (forced assault rifles, currently Special Carbine): https://socialclub.r...fQEWHp3sZ8YRqJA

link to Sniper Town (forced Marksman Sniper Rifle): https://socialclub.r...VGU2kuVrvUdMHhg

link to Pistol Town (forced Vintage Pistol, Marksman Pistol, Heavy Revolver and Double Barrel Shotgun): https://socialclub.r...S6Eyoww0jyMDVfg
  • sleepwalk1980 and Foxy Stevenson like this

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

wN56j7D.jpg

Looks very interesting. Nice to see other people using the props for unique stuff.

Edit: Just noticed the description haha.

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Made something completely random for now... since I have another map in mind, but I still have to start it.

Unreal Vortex (PS4)

2_0.jpg

2-12 players

Unrealistic map in the middle of a huge vortex. Everything is falling apart and no where to escape, so fight to death. This is the end.

So I always had this idea in my mind of a map falling apart mid air, so I created this 3 story map with the idea of a vortex just blowing everything around. This map is more lean into run and gunning so don't expect to camp because this is non stop action. Enjoy.

A more serious map will come soon...

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago

2_0.jpg

So I always had this idea in my mind of a map falling apart mid air, so I created this 3 story map with the idea of a vortex just blowing everything around.

This is one hell of an idea!!! You gotta do a video so we can see this one in action!

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

This is one hell of an idea!!! You gotta do a video so we can see this one in action!

Thank you man! So I guess this was never done before? I will post a video of the map later today, when I'm home. :)

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

Updated the map with more props mid air. I still have to test it in an actual match to see if there needs more cover too.

• raymond_calitri likes this

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago Edited by sleepwalk1980, A week ago.

Dude that looks so sick! Gives me a few ideas.

I've got another build coming real soon. Learned a lot making Orange & Blue, mainly that symettrical builds are tedious to make haha.

My next one, White & Purple, is coming along nicely.

Also got an idea for Captures built solely with props, but they're going to be puzzle based maps with dynamic elements. So you'll have to solve puzzles and use things in the map to progress through the level. It's taking a lot of planning but it should work!

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

Thanks again. :)

What makes it tedious for you to build symetrical? Do you think it's too much work to get it right?

Can't wait to see your next build.

I've also imagined a few puzzle based games but never got around making them. I can suggest a few if you want. Like blocking a path with the dynamic wodden box prop and the only way to pass through is with a big heavy vehicle like the Insurgent. Which can also be used to climb on top to reach otherwise inaccessible areas for objectives or pickups.

There's so much you can do. I'm already thinking of a small minigame, but not with puzzles. Will share it when it's done.

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago

Yeah pretty much those sorts of puzzles. I guess it'll be fairly limited with what you can do, but a couple of puzzle based maps could be good

I think with symetrical maps, I find the actual building of them tedious. So I make one cool little setup in a corner of the map, but then I've gotta replicate it on the other side rather than thinking of something new. I guess as a big CoD player I've learned that style of map so lots of neat little corners and cool bridges, multilevel sections, tunnels, alleyways etc interests me more.

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

Yeah making it all over again can be quite boring, I also only make symmetrical maps that are small, for bigger maps I prefer the multilevel type, with open areas, corridors etc, just like you said. :)

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • England

Posted 6 days ago Edited by sleepwalk1980, 6 days ago.

NOW I'm getting the hang of this :) White & Purple is coming along quite nicely... Still a work in progress

Definitely more a fan of building corridors, alleys etc rather than symetrical maps! Having loads of fun with this. The helicopter is purely for decoration, it's inaccesible.

Image 1

Spoiler

Image 2

Spoiler

Foxy Stevenson
  • Foxy Stevenson

WASTED

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 6 days ago

Dude! Wow that's looking really promising. That's certainly something I would make, just really my style of maps. I like that you kept the 2 tone style color really stands out and gives it more character. If this was my map it would be called "Unreal Purple" xD

Can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the good job. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users