Quantcast

» «
Photo

How about a Health & Well-being section?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic
Achlys
  • Achlys

Rawr

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:13 PM

Hello darlings! After reading Scaglietti's Visual Snow Syndrome thread, and Gtaman_92's suicide thread, I thought to myself, why not have a section dedicated to our fellow members' health? Physical and mental. It'll be good for anyone who wants advice for whatever they're suffering from, and for any member on here who's studying medicine, or psychology. Of course the section would have a trict no flaming/trolling rule. That way, we can avoid posts like, u shouldve used a jimmy hat m80, kek when someone creates a thread about contracting an STD. Your thoughts? :)

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:58 PM

It'll be good for anyone who wants advice for whatever they're suffering from

My initial thought is that I would much prefer that someone with a physical or psychological condition seek qualified medical advice rather than posting on an internet forum.

• Daz, universetwisters, Shou and 6 others like this

Achlys
  • Achlys

Rawr

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

Well the suicide thread worked well, everyone was supporting the OP for his troubles, and he was thankful towards us.

Brian Grey
  • Brian Grey

Darksider

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

It really depends on said condition, I do imagine second accounts being made so members wont be harassed or brought up again on their primary accounts, I know that's against the rules, I imagine mental or psychical health can be hard to talk about.  

Well the suicide thread worked well, everyone was supporting the OP for his troubles, and he was thankful towards us.

It did, stuff like depression, Anxiety, Stress, and suicide would be good for members to talk about their troubles and be reassured that they aren't alone. 

then they're are other disorders like psychosis, Schizophrenia, Dis-associative disorder which I would rather have a moderator who is a certified psychologist to run and also help people to figure out with the saying (Go to your GP, Doctor or councillor to get more help). 

I'm not sure how we could help Physical only with advice and methods that other members with said condition to improve said condition, Only a GP could tell you if that mole is cancerous or not and that what we need to promote, go to your GP, Doctor, Better safe than sorry.

I do think its a nice idea with good intentions, all I can see is just to be used with getting advice and also people with similar experiences to talk to.

• Achlys likes this

Eternal Donkey
  • Eternal Donkey

yaraminkovich

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:23 PM

Health could be discussed over in Sports section but the problem is, Sports section doesn't get enough attention.Same goes for other subforums.Most of the last messages on Technology forums are posted before November.This is not what people would expect from a forum site based on a computer game.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2016
    Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:30 AM

While there are probably a lot of people on here who have personal experiences you can relate to or people who are always willing to talk to you and provide a shoulder to cry on if you've had difficulties, we'd never endorse taking a fellow member's advice over an actual medical professional.

I know you only have good intentions with this suggestion, but I don't think it would be the best idea. As much as it might help someone, it could also go badly wrong if someone took incorrect advice or blamed us for something that affected their health. There is a very thin line between talking through your problems with someone friendly and actually putting their advice into action. It might save your life but it could make things worse too, and we don't want to be responsible for trying to balance that out.

General Chat covers pretty much everything. You've got the Question topic for the obvious, Random Chat and How Was Your Day? if you want to get something off your chest, the Muscle and Fitness topic for diet/exercise stuff, Forum Stoners if you're into that...etc etc. People are also welcome to create their own topic if it's pretty broad and can be discussed. I guess we could always try a "Wellbeing" topic, but it'd likely lead to the same discussions already allowed in the ones I've just mentioned.
  • Android, Achlys, Brian Grey and 1 other like this

Mega
  • Mega

Probably doing something not very productive

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

We don't even have a Manhunt, Midnight Club and Bully section in the biggest R* fan website in the internet (but for some reason have two dedicated to Red Dead), I think the priorities should be on the actual website's intended purpose. Plus as others said, it's not the right answer to such things and like Kirsty suggested, plenty of threads to suit your needs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users