Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Car
    Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

CASE & HARDWARE modding

When I was spamming the "Post your dekstop/PC"-thread with pictures of RAM sticks yesterday, it felt kinda out of place. While it's a bit of a niche thing this modding business, I feel that there's enough interest on here for it to merit its own thread.

Sleeved your first power supply, seen a bitchin' mod somewhere, or perhaps a revolutionary new product that will ease the struggle for fellow modders? Post your stuff! :)

- I might convert the OP to an index of modding-related guides and shenanigans down the line.

• 2281, BlackScout, Pavle and 2 others like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

I've been slowly hoarding bits to have a go at cable sleeving. Still haven't started, not sure whether I'm going to go shrink-wrapped or not.

Already done a few bits, like respraying all my Corsair fan rings with Montana Gold bright yellow spray paint and replacing the side window with smoked Perspex.
  • Azazel likes this

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:54 PM

I've been slowly hoarding bits to have a go at cable sleeving. Still haven't started, not sure whether I'm going to go shrink-wrapped or not.

I really love the way the heat-shrink-less method looks, but it's also really time consuming. I pussied out and had a guy in Iceland do the cables for my build. :p

This is the current state of the build, can also see a bit of the lovely cable work:

nhm_juice_15.jpg

• Noale likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

If that's the guy with the fancy website and cool customisation webapp thing, then I looked at him, but baulked at the cost- think it was about what I paid for my PSU.

The plan was, and still is, to go black-grey-yellow, rather like this:

14.jpg

Also keep meaning to order colour-coded Filco keycaps like those too.

Just noticed that build above has the same silly IndustrialPPC Noctua fans as I bought...
  • Azazel likes this

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

- I might convert the OP to an index of modding-related guides and shenanigans down the line.

Perhaps a list detailing where to get mod supplies/tools in certain countries would be a notable addition.

• Azazel likes this

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

Perhaps a list detailing where to get mod supplies/tools in certain countries would be a notable addition.

Good idea. If any of you have any links or such, or other ideas for additions, do send them my way. :)

EVGA PowerLink, or not? I can't decide!  :panic:

nhm_juice_17.jpg

nhm_juice_18.jpg

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

Sources I use in the USA for modding/sleeving.

MOD-ONE | This is run by the same guys from CaseLabs, who have been great to work with. They stock MDPC-X sleeve, which I still use, and is my opinion the best you can get. Wires, terminals, case pieces are also available. Based in California. 

MainFrameCustoms | Great modding vendor run by Lutro0, known for his sleeving guides. They stock the LC Teleios sleeve, which is on the same level as MDPC. If you want to sleeve on your own, they sell all the tools here as well as other pieces used for aesthetics. Also based in California.

ModMyMods | Another source for misc sleeving, terminals, watercooling, and custom services. Joe has fantastic customer service and helped me try to solve an issue on my previous build. They are the split off company from FrozenCPU, which closed down due to drama. MMM kept FrozenCPUs excellent service, without the bullsh*t. They are still pretty new, but over time their stock will widen. Based in New York.

MNPCTECH | Bill Owen / The Mod Zoo. Enough said.

DazMode | Canadian vendor. Stocks a lot of watercooling parts, and has their own brand Darkside which many enthusiasts have used. Shipping from Canada to the USA can be slightly more expensive, but is sometimes offset by the lower prices.

Performance-PCs | One of the best places for modders/enthusiasts. Has watercooling parts and accessories like no other. I've probably ordered here over 30 times in the past year, it's the only place I buy my Bitspower fittings. Based in Florida.

TitanRig on Amazon | Another excellent overall vendor for enthusiasts/watercoolers. Great pricing, and free shipping for Prime members.

ModDIY | Seems to be the "discount bin" for modders. Never tried it, but has a lot of cheap things. Nothing you can't find on PPCS.

McMaster | For when you're after fasteners or other oddities for case modding.

• Azazel and X S like this

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:22 PM

I used MainFrameCustoms for my sleeved cables.  I think it's one guy who does the work.  Took about 2 weeks for them to finish prior to shipping.  Only needed a 24-pin and 8-pin my build, so was relatively cheap.

They also had custom colored inserts for the Corsair Dominator light bars.  Picked up the UV Green inserts to fit my color scheme.

Kz9HJR0l.jpg

• Azazel likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

if anyone has a MicroCenter in their town, it's an amazing place to shop for case mod supplies, accessories, and obviously all the hardware. the thing about MicroCenter is they have incredible in-store prices and selection. it's not like going to Best Buy (AKA retard central). you have knowledgeable people who do extensive case modding themselves and everything is always on sale. their prices are at least as good and often better than NewEgg and then of course there's no shipping. you have a brick/mortar location to visit if your hardware is ever DOA or for whatever troubleshooting you might run into.

http://www.microcenter.com

I sound like I work for MicroCenter lol.

which I don't, but I'm just a fan of a good resource.

• X S likes this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:12 AM Edited by Blaze, 13 December 2016 - 03:21 AM.

Already done a few bits, like respraying all my Corsair fan rings with Montana Gold bright yellow spray paint and replacing the side window with smoked Perspex.

How easy was it to swap your window? My CM 690 II has a crack in it and while it'd be easy to replace if it was mounted on the inside out the case unfortunately it's mounted from the outside and as such it'll take alot more effort than it would simply getting some clear perspex, doing a rough trace/cut then cleaning it up and bolting it on. That being said I could just whip out a dremel onto my NZXT case and cut off the window mounts that were causing the case window to hang up on the H50.

Once I get my X5650/RX470 I'll be doing some pretty liberal case mods; painting the fan controller/maybe swapping out the blue LED's on it for white ones, some white RGB lighting and I'll probably get some pre sleeved cables/extensions as I don't trust myself to do it. Colour wise it'll depend on what card I get but since the motherboard is mostly blue/silver I'll try and keep it consistent although that being said some of the PCI ports are an orange colour so maybe some orange cables wouldn't be too bad either.

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:25 AM

Does the window itself have a stepped edge?

Windows in general are easy to replace on any case. If yours is mounted from the outside, did they use screws or something else?

• blaze likes this

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:39 AM

I remember I had to use a jigksaw on my window.  The metal on my Fractal case was too tough for a Dremel.

if anyone has a MicroCenter in their town, it's an amazing place to shop for case mod supplies, accessories, and obviously all the hardware. the thing about MicroCenter is they have incredible in-store prices and selection. it's not like going to Best Buy (AKA retard central). you have knowledgeable people who do extensive case modding themselves and everything is always on sale. their prices are at least as good and often better than NewEgg and then of course there's no shipping. you have a brick/mortar location to visit if your hardware is ever DOA or for whatever troubleshooting you might run into.

They literally have the best deals on CPU's.  I think I snagged my current i7 for $310 last year when it was going for $350 or more on several websites.

Unfortunately, my Microcenter is in a high crime area, so it's not the easiest to go in and look for water-cooling fittings.  I always have to ask the staff to open up the security boxes they put them in, and then they have to sit there and watch me go through them.  Annoying, but no one else sells them.

• El Diablo and blaze like this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:55 AM Edited by Blaze, 13 December 2016 - 03:55 AM.

Does the window itself have a stepped edge?

Windows in general are easy to replace on any case. If yours is mounted from the outside, did they use screws or something else?

iQ0KMzQ.jpg

Dont pay attention to the awful cable work, bolted in from the outside and it's slightly bevelled on the inside so I can't really have the window on the inside either. I looked it up a few days ago and CM offered some replacement windowed side panels a few years back but they're all sold out now.

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:08 AM Edited by Noale, 13 December 2016 - 04:12 AM.

Those look like push rivets. Check the backside for little tabs you can squeeze together and force the rivet head out. (Or try sticking a flathead under the rivet head and slowly pry on it)

276-2215-bearing-pop-rivet-sep_1.jpg

Should be an easy removal. The bad news is doing a stepped edge/beveled edge will be difficult unless you want to get a router and do it manually, or have it CNCd. The good news is it looks like you won't need to do a stepped edge profile on the replacement window at all. The stepped edge is usually for windows mounted on the inside, so that the window itself sits outward to make it flush with the panel. Your outer mount makes the window flat, step or not.

• blaze likes this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:21 AM

^ Yeah it's those rivets. I'll probably give fitting the H50 in the NZXT case/cutting some mount tabs off the window another shot as I prefer it aesthetically but if that doesn't work then I could get uncle blaze to try and cut up some perspex as my saw/cutting skills are not the best.

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:50 AM

The Chanel Manta progress continues! After hours trying to figure out an interior layout by staring at the case, I got nowhere, so I decided to virtualize the Manta frame with a 3D model for more capability for design.

vH9tH9O.jpg

• Azazel and OverTheBelow like this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:29 PM Edited by Blaze, 13 December 2016 - 05:29 PM.

yeah no amount of modding is going to make the H50 fit in my NZXT case since the rad/fans are right up against the window :(

eBx61ct.jpg

Just gonna leave it all in there until I get my X5650 then swap it back.

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:32 PM

The Chanel Manta progress continues! After hours trying to figure out an interior layout by staring at the case, I got nowhere, so I decided to virtualize the Manta frame with a 3D model for more capability for design.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing what shenanigans you come up with! :)
  • Noale likes this

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:43 AM

yeah no amount of modding is going to make the H50 fit in my NZXT case since the rad/fans are right up against the window :(

eBx61ct.jpg

They sell 90-degree fan mounts that you could mount on the back of your case, and make it so your radiator runs parallel to the board, then use a hole saw to cut the window for flow. Here's one from CaseLabs.

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:23 AM

I really wish this coolant lasted longer.  It's Mayhems Aurora.  I've heard people say it lasts only one week, and others have said three months.  I'm honestly not sure.  Apparently, the nano particles eventually clot up in the system, so hopefully they come out with a new one that lasts longer.

The pearl effect is amazing, though. 

• Azazel likes this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

They sell 90-degree fan mounts that you could mount on the back of your case, and make it so your radiator runs parallel to the board, then use a hole saw to cut the window for flow. Here's one from CaseLabs.

Eh I could do that but while it'd look cool I'd probably cock it up (and I don't know how well the H50 tubes would fit that) and while I prefer the NZXT case aesthetically the CM case makes more sense.

Speaking of custom case mods etc I was flicking through some of the project logs on OCUK and these two were f*cking sick.

So the PC in a desk thing has been done to death now but the dude fabricated the thing himself and it looks beautiful.

https://forums.overc....php?t=18353123

Army themed stuff usually looks awful but this one is dope.

https://forums.overc....php?t=18527108

There's loads of other great builds on there like the dude who bought a cabin for his back garden and turned it into a mancave, the guy with 4x4 280 builds mining in his basement amongst other cool sh*t so if you ever want to kill a few hours flick through there :p

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

Marshlands was the inspiration behind my decision to casemod my C70.

img_00046ac4l.jpg
img_0020xysta.jpg

Wonderful.
  • WHAT!?, Azazel and blaze like this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

I lost my sh*t when he made the custom waterblock/PSU covers, creative bloke thats for sure.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Also literally the only build I've ever seen where modder's mesh ends up looking anything other than sh*te.

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

If I was ever to do a full proper case mod no doubt I'd do something with an Inwin Q2000. The fact it's a server case and has space for two redundant PSU's up the top could easily make space for a 240mm RAD up in the top and a pump/res in the drive bay or somewhere else. Plenty of people have done sleeper builds/light mods on it but nothing that really uses the case to it's full potential imo.

0BC0VXk.jpg

The ruskies have done some pretty heavy mods on them though.

NVkUXN2mbU0.jpg

ris10.jpg

• Azazel, Noale and Natasha like this

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:01 PM

Wasn't the water block designed to be compatible with the Dominator modules?

You could find some of those extended heatsinks Corsair was selling for the Dominator GT modules a while back or even the stocks from someone that's upgraded and have them painted or powder coated to match the theme.

Wasn't really happy with the look of the EK RAM modules, and this idea stuck with me. And then I remembered that I had some old Dominators in the attic.

(Not sure if you'll get a notification when I'm posting your quote in another thread, but thanks for the idea! :D)

nhm_juice_21.jpg

nhm_juice_22.jpg

After a lick of paint, this will look quite nice I think. Almost looks black in the second shot. Don't think I can get them nickel plated to match the finish on the block, so think I might do them flat black.

• X S, HaRdSTyLe_83 and Noale like this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:30 AM Edited by Blaze, 20 December 2016 - 03:30 AM.

Cable braiders/etc, need some advice. Recent pics of rig in spoiler. (don't mind the still messy cables I need to wire my PSU fan/H50 pump up to the fan controller).

Spoiler

After I get my X5650/RX470 I want to do some aesthetic stuff and go for a blue/black/white scheme (since I'm p much locked into that anyway). Going to get some nice BitFenix extensions for my 24pin/6pin/sata/etc cables (CPU power is pointless as it's buried behind the h50). Obviously the cables coming out of the PSU look like sh*t and personally I really don't want to strip them down so what would be the best way to have those covered? I was thinking get some solid black braiding, run it over the cables and use black PVC tape to secure it. Wont be doing the full length of the cables, just to the back of the motherboard tray and also the front panel cables.

Got some white LED SP120's on the way to replace the current RAD fans and I'm gonna get some white LED strips for behind my desk/TV too. Really liking the colour of these BitFenix cables too but I'll wait until I get a new GPU before I decide on a colour.

https://www.overcloc...-cm-144-bx.html

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

They don't sell all black cables for your PSU? If you're asking the best way to do it, buy some 16-18AWG black wire, a few packs of terminals, and connectors, and make your own shorty cables. Then just attach the extensions to those.

A cheap way would be to simply wrap it in black tape. You could also get some acrylic or thin aluminum, and bend it to form a PSU shroud. Really thin aluminum (less than 1mm) can be bent easily using the edge of a table as a straight edge. Acrylic will require heat but is just as easy. This will probably be the best, aesthetics wise. As for mounting the shroud, you could just put double sided tape or velcro on the bottom side, and attach it to the top of your PSU if you don't want to have end flaps for bolt mounting.

• blaze likes this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • Macau
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

Yeah there's all black cables but it's more than I'd like to pay when I could do it myself for 1/4th of the price or something silly like that :p While I could make cables myself (did two years of electronics at school so I'm competent with soldering/wiring/PCB'S/IC's/etc) for my main system I'd rather not take the (if any) risk. My plan was to simply buy something like this, stick it over the existing cables and secure it with black tape. Would look better than using tape for the whole thing and not as hard as resleeving the whole set. http://www.ebay.co.u...s-/181242472962

Another question while I'm here, I own a Zalman MFC1 controller, quite old and rudimentary but I trust it way more over predefined curves or cheap touch screen bollocks. Anyway the colours are pretty awful so I'm going to mod it up a little (going to take the blue front panel off it, line the panel up with a spare 5.25 drive bay cover from the case and drill the holes through it and use that as the panel) so it fits more.

Looking to replace the silver aluminum knobs on the four channels preferably with some black ones, any ideas on what sizes or where I'd get them? Cheers. Pics below for reference.

Spoiler

and no i'm not just using 2/4 channels, when im done with upgrades and othert stuff i should have 2 rad fans on channel 1, intake/exhaust on channel 2, h50 pump on the 3rd and the psu fan on the 4th. maybe white led strips on the screw down terminals so i can turn them on/off. so many possibilities so little time :p

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

I'd honestly just paint them black. If you really need new knobs, then you could make your own using aluminum rods. Cut them to length, bevel the outer edge so it isn't sharp, then drill a hole on the opposite end for inserting into the controller. Drill the hole larger than the plug itself. Then get some tape (painters tape, electrical tape, whatever you want), and put one layer of it in that hole you just drilled on the kniob. The tape will provide a friction fit between the knob and controller.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users