Need help with my WiFi connection

19 replies to this topic
ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:33 AM

So I'm having issues with my connection as I have moved and can no longer connect with a wired connection. I am on the basement level and the router is on the 2nd floor of the house. I got a WiFi extender to place on the main floor. When I test my connection it says my strength is 90% yest my download speed is around 8mbps while my upload speed hovers around 500kbps which I know is beyond horrible.

I know there are a lot of very tech savvy people on this forum which I have no problem admitting I am not. If anyone could give me some tips on what my problem may be it would be very much appreciated. I could get a line put into the basement for myself but I would very much like to continue piggybacking off the existing line. Thanks in advance for any help.

AlphaSierra111996
  • AlphaSierra111996

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

Wired connection is a must. Who's your ISP and what is your download and upload speeds that you are paying for?
  • ibsmokin likes this

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:03 AM

I'm in Canada. Isp is telus. I had the same one at my last place and ran off WiFi no problem. As for the speeds I'm not sure what it's supposed to be but I know it should be higher than what it is.

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:11 AM

Also if I move the WiFi extender to a different location the speeds go down.

Technosis
  • Technosis

The Paladin

• GTAF Crew
  • Australia

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:33 AM

I'm just wondering if you might consider Ethernet over power

• ibsmokin likes this

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:42 AM

I would definitely use ether net but unless I get a line hooked up in the basement I'd have to run a hundred foot cord across three rooms and 4 flights of stairs. Don't think the other occupants in the house would be to fond of that.

Technosis
  • Technosis

The Paladin

• GTAF Crew
  • Australia

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:48 AM

so you have no power in your basement?

• ibsmokin likes this

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:53 AM

Yea I have power. Enlighten me I'm lost.

Technosis
  • Technosis

The Paladin

• GTAF Crew
  • Australia

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:58 AM Edited by Technosis, 11 December 2016 - 02:59 AM.

Think this video will better explain then what i can haha

• ibsmokin likes this

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:00 AM

Cool thanks, I'm no gynecologist but I'll take a look.

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:42 AM

Wow that actually looks promising. Never even heard of such a thing, thanks a ton man! Gonna give that a go I think. Having a look on best buys website right now.

Technosis
  • Technosis

The Paladin

• GTAF Crew
  • Australia

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:08 AM

no problems man happy hunting

• ibsmokin likes this

Ayylien
  • Ayylien

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

Powerlines and extenders are rubbish. They are for the most part, un-reliable and unstable. You're better off buying a new router with a better range.
  • ibsmokin likes this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

Powerlines and extenders are rubbish. They are for the most part, un-reliable and unstable. You're better off buying a new router with a better range.

Do you actually have any experience with these at all? They run through mains power and aslong as your house wasnt built in the dark ages/doesn't have sh*tty wiring it'll be stable just plug it directly into a socket and not through an extension lead/surge protector itll be fine. I ran powerlines for 3/4 years and it's the cheaper not to mention more consistent method as opposed to finding a router that can deliver a solid connection 3/4 floors down.

• ibsmokin likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

Powerlines are very sensitive to the make-up of your home wiring. If you live in a modern property with a single fusebox, then you'll probably be fine. If you live in an older property with multiple fuseboxes, complex independent or inter-reliant circuits providing power for different bits of the house, and old or questionable wiring, then they're usually crap.
  • ibsmokin likes this

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:09 PM Edited by ibsmokin, 11 December 2016 - 08:40 PM.

Thanks for everyone's input. I would love to just replace the router but the ones I was looking at that I would want would be in the range of $300-500. I'm simply to cheap to fork that out right now. Not to mention the router is in my father in laws study and he's basically built his desk around it so it would really only fit the one in there right now. Stupid I know. I tried running the powerline off his router but as there was no available plugs available within range of the supplied ethernet cables reach I was forced to use a power bar. There was no gains in speeds whatsoever from this.

Feeling fairly discouraged I figured I would try and hook it up to the WiFi extender I've been running off since it has an ethernet port on it as well. Figured what the he'll it's worth a shot ya know. We'll it actually turned out pretty good. Not crazy gains but got me around 15mbps down and 3-4mbps up. Still nothing to shout about I know but I was able to play through some setups without issue and was in a full lobby for an hour without being kicked. I am very hopeful I'll now at least be able to grind heists without issue at least. I was curious if I got better ethernet cables if it would possibly improve however seeing as the supplied ones are complete sh*t. What you guys think. Again thanks for input.
Oh for reference the powerline I got was the netgear ac1200 and the extender is a netgear n300 I believe. Also curious if a better extender would improve speeds as I know signals are only as strong as their weakest link.

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

Do you actually have any experience with these at all? They run through mains power and aslong as your house wasnt built in the dark ages/doesn't have sh*tty wiring it'll be stable just plug it directly into a socket and not through an extension lead/surge protector itll be fine. I ran powerlines for 3/4 years and it's the cheaper not to mention more consistent method as opposed to finding a router that can deliver a solid connection 3/4 floors down.
quoting you guys simply for a bump. Thanks

Ayylien
  • Ayylien

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

Yes, and my experience with them has been poor. My house is fairly modern too, so there shouldn't be an issue with the wiring, everything was connected correctly. My speeds would be inconsistent, my download  speed would be anywhere between 1-16Mb, upload 0.1-1Mb. On a 80/20 connection these speeds are just unacceptable, I'd also have a high ping with fairly frequent dropouts. I tried 3 different brands (TP-Link, Linksys and Netgear) and none of them were good enough for anything other than light internet browsing, hence why I would not recommend them for gaming on.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

You mentioned you plugged the powerline adapter into a power strip, This severely limits the adapter's ability to function and I'm surprised it worked at all.

I have the D-Link DHP-601AV set and it works perfectly for my uses. I have 240 down/15 up and the speed of the connection is limited to the 10/100 Ethernet on the other end.

If you're going to try powerline again (which would be an excellent solution) you should look for one marked 'AV2'.

Without exaggeration going from 'not AV2' to AV2 is like going from maybe wireless B to wireless AC.

I'm not able to find a Netgear AC1200 powerline adapter. Are you referring to https://www.amazon.c...=netgear ac1200

?

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:45 AM

No its a netgear powerline 1200. Not using it anymore however. I did get it working somewhat decently however it did fluctuate at times.

I'm having a different issue now. The place I live has two separate lines for Internet or phone. One is upstairs and one is in the basement suite where I live with my girlfriend. We recently got a router installed on the basement line on my old account from my old house.

Now they came and installed it yesterday and it was working great, unfortunately the office screwed up and moved the upstairs service downstairs. Now they came and changed it back today but now the Internet down here is incredibly slow. Is there anything I can do from my end? Maybe from logging into the router? I tried unplugging for 10 seconds to reboot it but nothing changes. Still super slow. Thanks guys
For reference this is the powerline 1200
https://goo.gl/images/vvWtEC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users