Quantcast

» «
Photo

Could GTA work in a small town?

46 replies to this topic
Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

I'd actually like this. Just 1 small town and nothing else wouldn't work, but I'd like a setting where there are a few small-medium sized towns scattered across the map.

I'd like the journey through the story to be similar to SA, where you spend some time in one area of the map, then move onto another.

Yeah I loved the small towns section of SA's story missions, was such a nice change from the city. 

• theGTAking101 likes this

SAS_Intruder
  • SAS_Intruder

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

One of my favorite TV shows of all time was Justified which was set in Kentucky. There was couple of small towns + Lexington if I remember correctly.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. There is no use of large city if there is nothing to do, and LS really feels empty most of the time anyway.

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:13 AM

I wouldn't want the whole map to be the small town but I'd like there to be one that the player would not only have to do missions at for people at, but have that option to live there if you choose to do so. 

JackHowitzer
  • JackHowitzer

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:25 PM Edited by JackHowitzer, 02 August 2017 - 03:29 PM.

It could start out in a small town so as to establish your backstory, early game contacts and the early plot reasons why you had to leave town either by force or in order to pursue better opportunities (or both) in the big city. A big city is a huge draw for a global audience for marketing purposes and a small town alone even with countryside would not be an adequate gameplay setting for a 30+ hour gta game.

Perhaps your character is on the run from the police or in witness protection and is forced to return to life in the big city after an inciting incident draws you back into the life. Starting out exiled in a small town would also be a perfect narrative excuse to wall off parts of the map for later to bring back a sense of map progression as you unlock more of the map as you progress the story once again which was always more satisfying than having the entire map open from the start.

• Official General, Dijital Binali and theGTAking101 like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

I'm of two minds, on the one hand a cluster of small towns around the map could be an interesting design choice, it would give more purpose to explore the entire map, there would have to be distince differences in terms of design and atmosphere between towns so it doesn't feel samely though. This is easier to do in a city environment, going from rich area to ghetto is as simple as a few turns irl as well as in game. This changes both the look and feel of an area. This could be harder to convey in a small town situation. Also while i'm a fan of small towns in Gta, from Paleto Bay in V to the towns of Gta San Andreas these towns for me are an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, if there is no city and it's all towns will the charm and appeal wear thin after a while. Maybe, maybe not.

I guess a large town anchoring numerous small towns could be a decent compromise, it could act as a hub of sorts, with the outlying towns having their own unique attractions, be that scenery, activities, etc.

However it begs the question, since the next Gta is going to be on PS4/Xbox and eventually PC could that hardware handle a city with several fleshed out small towns also. This could be the best of both worlds.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:22 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 03 August 2017 - 02:23 PM.

No. Grand Theft Auto doesn't need countryside. Grand Theft Auto needs a sizable, gorgeous, exquisite and living city.

Why do people constantly say that countryside is the most important thing in Grand Theft Auto? Sure, it is nice but only if the city is good enough (for example Liberty City from GTA IV would work perfectly with countryside, but Los Santos from GTA V is bad and the countryside is also bad - they should have focused on the city only).

• Tycek, VictorVince1239, Good Hombre and 1 other like this

Giantsgiants
  • Giantsgiants

Boss

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 3 weeks ago

Sure, Bully is watered down version of GTA, and it was still fun despite that it took place in a small town.

Bully may feel like GTA, but it is not GTA. First of all the protagonist in Bully is a teenager, not an adult, so from a realistic standpoint, it makes sense for him to be confined to a single small town. In real life society, teenagers are controlled by adults and have significantly less freedom. Also, the "crimes" you do in Bully are more like teenage school pranks, not large scale heist operations.

GTA is a whole different animal. The GTA franchise is all about freedom, open-worldness, and exploration. All these things would be severely constrained in a single small town. The setting for GTA would have to be a large map with several towns, at a bare minimum.

• Official General and Dijital Binali like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

It can definitely work. GTA SA gives us an idea of how it can work through countryside portions when Tenpenny leaves CJ in the middle of nowhere, left with nothing but a camera. It was a cool idea by the writers to structure the story around the remote settlements of the countryside as an escape point from the hostile gangs, and the homies now coming into contact with the drugs on the streets of LS. It was a very refreshing experience from the story standpoint, giving us a glimpse of the crimes that could happen in such smaller towns and isolated rural areas, with CJ now struggling to keep his brother alive, and make a living for himself outside of the LS, while being introduced to new characters, adding more variety to the gameplay.

Neickup
  • Neickup

I don't like bread.

• Members
  • France

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Neickup, 3 weeks ago.

I really prefer big city to countryside. During night time, it's always beautiful to just take your car, drive around the city, all city's lights on, and a nice radio on. 

Objectively, it could work. But they better open alot of stuff for the city not to be boring. 
  • ViceOfLiberty likes this

.Bach
  • .Bach

λ

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Could GTA work in a small town? Nope. Could GTA work in a big map with several towns? Yes.

• Official General, theGTAking101 and GTA-Biker like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think it's worth thinking about how large "small" towns are in real life compared to in-game - if there was a 1:1 likeness, then the "small" town would be fairly big by video game standards, remember how the entire GTA V map is small than most cities, and you can see how it would work :p

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago

Could GTA work in a small town? Nope. Could GTA work in a big map with several towns? Yes.

Any reason orrrrrr.......???

simond1986
  • simond1986

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

it wud be a disaåointment but i guess

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

Only those who die get closure, the living do not.

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted A week ago

I'm a bit intrigued with GTA not being set in a big well-crowded city. A series of small to medium sized towns could be a great change of pace. But I felt that GTA should always be set on a large-scale metropolis riddled with vice, crime, corruption, and greed. GTA is all about stories focused on organized crime, with elements of satire, self deprecating humor, and player freedom. I feel that a big satirical rendition of a US-based metropolis is the way to go for GTA to succeed. GTA is also all about homage to some of cinemas greatest hits, especially within the crime genre. Movies like Scarface, Heat, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Goodfellas, etc. are the biggest inspiration/s of GTA both as a cultural phenomenon and as tribute to some of the most brilliant films of all time. Because at the end of the day, the guys at Rockstar show care and love for cinema, they showcase their talents to give us immersive worlds inspired by these movies, and they show their passion to do what they love. 

So for me, it is necessary for GTA to have cultural impact for their audience, and for entertainment's sake, I felt that only a big city can cherish what GTA stands for, and to exhibit witty, and complex storytelling that GTA can only do. Lastly, I of course will be fine if there are small towns across the map, but it would feel shallow and incomplete without a metropolis to compliment these small towns.  :)

TheSadisticOwl
  • TheSadisticOwl

Chrome horses with pink dollar horseshoes.

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

No, because it'd make everything feel extremely limited and boring. I'd rather have one or more major cities and a few small towns, just like in GTA SA.

Gato Bakura
  • Gato Bakura

GatoBakura

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago

this can work perfectly but, don't you think the fact that the game is in a small town can change somethings? like the places, things and bla bla for steal will be smaller

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Dryspace, 6 days ago.

This is interesting, because for some reason, just this thought occurred to me the day before.

In short....no, I don't think it would. What I mean is that I think such a setting could make for a very good game, but I don't think it would work for GTA and it wouldn't be a "GTA" game at all. The entire atmosphere, vibe, and pacing would be utterly different. Everything that has always defined the fundamental gameplay of GTA would be absent, I believe.

I live in a very large city, and I have also lived for many years in a rural town of 10,000 residents, so I believe I have a pretty informed perspective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users