You can feel the low budget in this game

26 replies to this topic
Blender_Guy
  • Blender_Guy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

I just noticed that all animations, car models and sound effects are ripped off straight from GTA Vicecity. Even the weapon handlings feel all the same, they just used different weapon skins.

And there are not so many cutscenes, usually just a couple of ingame animations.

Only the voice acting seems to have some quality.

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:04 PM Edited by Helegad, 03 December 2016 - 11:05 PM.

There is a cutscene before every mission. This is a fully featured GTA game, and it's built on San Andreas, not Vice City. I can feel the low-budget in your typing.

• Bender, thehambone, Rachel Amber and 6 others like this

Craig
  • Craig

Park Head

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:03 AM

I'm not going to agree or disagree here, but only say that both LCS and VCS were originally PSP titles. Whether or not you think the hardware was properly utilised, I would say that the cities were both rendered well and kept faithful to the original design, barring a few areas which realistically depict changes in environment that can occur over a few years.

One thing to consider here is that it's easy to rag on a game for feeling low budget, dated or otherwise bad when over ten years has passed. Compared to V (and even IV) the games are of course going to pale in comparison. I remember revisiting III via the PS4 port and struggling with the sudden limitation I was met with. No bikes? Why can't I climb this wall? What do you mean I can't swim? These were all restrictions that have always been present and yet never stopped me from playing back in 2001. I hadn't even considered it. I have no doubt that future titles will make me look back at IV and V and think "wow, they buggered that up years ago".

It's easy to look back and rag on something but when these games were released on PSP I thought they did a wonderful job. Yes, they were flawed but they weren't what I'd necessarily call "low budget". You work with what you've got.
  • LevelDockSix, PhillBellic, ROCKSTAR MANIC and 6 others like this

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:57 AM

Low Budget? Well, not exactly. Considering that the game was released 10 Years ago and even on handheld devices, it was much better than the GTA III platform. This was built over the Vice City Engine not San Andreas. The reason why they used the same engine was probably due to the functionality based reasons.

GTA LCS provided lots of features that GTA III never could. Extra Missions, Helis, Bikes, Interiors, better Missions and more. 10 Years ago, it'd be have been more than enough to call GTA III rather low budget. Over the course of time every old game feels rather limiting. Just because they never planned a PC release or used a similar engine doesn't mean that they didn't make a proper game.

Speaking of cutscenes, each mission had Cutscene. Believe me, the Weapon handling and functionality you speak of are more than good for a handheld based game. Years from now, GTA IV or GTA V will get the same reaction LCS currently gets, if they ever get ported to any other platforms.
  • Lennart - likes this

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [Modding] 2016
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

There is a cutscene before every mission. This is a fully featured GTA game, and it's built on San Andreas, not Vice City. I can feel the low-budget in your typing.

Actually it's more VC than SA. It only borrows small parts of SA code.
  • Gravarty and Adrian J. like this

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:06 AM

Actually it's more VC than SA. It only borrows small parts of SA code.

Which part of the code? Just curious since I never noticed any SA features really. LCS doesn't even have wall climbing or swimming.

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:00 AM

Camera, probably car handling etc.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

Camera, probably car handling etc.

Car Handling isn't exactly similar to SA. You can feel that when crashing the vehicles and falling off the bikes. Feels more like VC. Just mentioning from my observation. I played the Android version recently. And I do agree that Camera is similar to SA.

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Vision™ Alterer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:21 PM

Handling indeed feels VC-ish, but the parameters in handling.cfg seem to match SA more than VC.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:29 PM Edited by Reverse Flash, 05 December 2016 - 02:30 PM.

Handling indeed feels VC-ish, but the parameters in handling.cfg seem to match SA more than VC.

Also, I think vehicle collisions feel a bit more realistic like SA when you change the graphical settings.

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

They said real nikkas was dead but this nikka be alive.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:14 PM Edited by Still Madd, 06 December 2016 - 01:29 AM.

I just noticed that all animations, car models and sound effects are ripped off straight from GTA Vicecity. Even the weapon handlings feel all the same, they just used different weapon skins.

And there are not so many cutscenes, usually just a couple of ingame animations.

All the animations are made from scratch, the car models are repeated in every 3D era game although there are some unique vehicles like the Manchez or the V8 Ghost, the sound effects are mostly repeated in every 3D era game (discard SA). The weapon handling is the same sh*t in every GTA on PS2.

The game was built on VC engine, what do you expect coming from the PSP? 

There's a sh*tload of cutscenes, how much you've played? 30 seconds?  

And no, the voice acting is one of the best voices acting I've ever seen in a game like that. Not just "it has some quality".

• Vice City criminal likes this

Vice City criminal
  • Vice City criminal

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:31 PM Edited by Vice City criminal, 05 December 2016 - 09:32 PM.

I agree a little but even if you felt like it was low budget, wouldn't you consider it impressive how a game with a "low budget feel"
managed to sell so well in the PSP? I admire that more than something made out of a large budget and still feel poor.

• Ivan1997GTA and SMACKED! like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:41 AM

It WAS a low budget title for Rockstar. There are only a small amount of MOCAPPED cutscenes. It DOES reuse a lot of VC to the point where you can rip the Mobile version and get most assets on VC in minutes, etc. LCS was a test for Rockstar, and when LCS sold really well (a huge amount of sales coming from the fact that the game had a Save Game Exploit which allowed PSP's to run custom code/be hacked) Rockstar then poured more money into VCS.

Just break it down:

Cast
LCS: Only Frank Vincent was the "big name" to return for the cast, everyone else had sound alikes, even Maria who they previously got the original actress back for SA just a year earlier!
VCS: Rockstar paid up and got the original cast back for any returning characters, including giving them bigger roles for characters like Umberto (Danny Trejo) and Phil Cassidy (Gary Busey).

Mocapped Cutscenes
LCS: Out of the 70 main missions, only 23 of them have mocapped cutscenes with high quality audio, the rest using static animation and ingame SFX playback.
VCS: Out of the 59 main missions, 49 of them have mocapped cutscenes with high quality audio, with the remaining missions being the late ones only having static animation and ingame SFX playback.

Music
LCS: Rockstar chose to use a cheaper budget for the soundtrack here not only to match GTA3's style but to also help keep licence costs down.
VCS: HAVE YOU SEEN THAT SONG LIST??

Nothing wrong with LCS being the budget title, tech wise it's impressive what they got done on the PSP but production wise, they were clearing treading water and once it proved a hit, they went full in for VCS.
  • Tomasak, Gravarty, Silent and 19 others like this

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:45 AM Edited by Helegad, 07 December 2016 - 01:45 AM.

Unfortunately my clearest memories of VCS on PSP are filled with LODs.

LCS was a learning experience like III for PS2. The PSP was brand new at the time and they didn't have a lot of experience with the hardware. Was San Andreas Stories ever possible? Absolutely. If you described San Andreas to someone, especially a developer, around the time III came out as being about four years away, they'd be giving you a funny look for sure. The games that really wow you are the ones that come out near the end of a console's lifespan, when all the tricks of the trades and hardware efficiencies have been well documented.

I'll never understand why more devs didn't include the option to install to mem stick like Gran Turismo did. It just gives so much better performance than UMD.

• Bender likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:28 AM

"Low Budget" or not, I thoroughly enjoyed playing LCS (and VCS).

Although, I wonder what kind of Game we would have been playing if it was based off SA's Engine?

• CartmanKusanagi and Zello like this

Platybus
  • Platybus

Crackhead

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

@Ash_735 exactly this. It's evident GTA: Liberty City Stories had less "precious" features than the rest of the 3rd gen PlayStation games, yet everybody freaked out when this fact was highlighted.

ClaudeTheMan
  • ClaudeTheMan

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

You better mind your manners. Capische!?

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

amigo

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

You better mind your manners. Capische!?
That's the truth, though. It is low budget.

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:00 PM Edited by Sergiu, 13 January 2017 - 04:01 PM.

Funny how this low budget GTA sold twice as much as its bigger budget brother, Vice City Stories. Yeah, it was low budget but the story and atmosphere were rather engaging.

...and such was GTA 3 as well, a groundbreaking rather low budget game.
  • ClaudeTheMan, Osric, Legomanarthur and 2 others like this

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

Funny how this low budget GTA sold twice as much as its bigger budget brother, Vice City Stories. Yeah, it was low budget but the story and atmosphere were rather engaging.

...and such was GTA 3 as well, a groundbreaking rather low budget game.

You can't go wrong with Liberty City I guess.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

Think the OP is just blowing smoke for something to say,nothing wrong with either game. I play them on my PS2 or a lot of the time on my pc using the PS2 emulator,

It was nice to revisit the same places again i enjoyed them.

• Osric likes this

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:03 AM

They clearly didn't need a big budget because there wasn't so much to make. It's not an inferior product.

--Vega--
  • --Vega--

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:29 AM

You have to remember the game was made for a tiny PSP. They packed a lot into it for being a "portable game". If you're playing it on console (PS2) and pretending it's supposed to be a console-version GTA like San Andreas, then yeah...

It did good for what it was made it. The hype was massive back in the day.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

Funny how this low budget GTA sold twice as much as its bigger budget brother, Vice City Stories.

Erm, you might not remember, but LCS was one of the first major western games on the PSP to have a save exploit that could allow people to hack their PSP's and run code on them, which MANY people online took advantage of, I remember having a SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive emulator save slot that I loaded through LCS at the time, a lot of hacking websites back then pushed LCS as the easiest method and that helped sales of the game by a large amount.
  • Mega, Sergiu and Kaniel Outis like this

Sergiu
  • Sergiu

EQUANOX™

• GTA Mods Staff
  • European-Union

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

You're right, I remembered that now that you mentioned it. :p

MiranK
  • MiranK

Mission designer and San Fierro lover