The Grand Tour

28 replies to this topic
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:57 PM Edited by El Diablo, 30 November 2016 - 07:59 PM.

fxghnKR.jpg

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01J94B90W/

surprised nobody made a topic yet.

but the boys are back in town. first 2 episodes are up on Amazon.

there's no more Stig and it seems like the BBC got to keep "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" as part of the divorce settlement, but everything else is there. I'm really enjoying it so far. personally I miss the Stig but I definitely do not miss Stars in Cheap Ass Cars... I always left the room or skipped through those segments. like I don't give a f/ck what Tom Cruise thinks about anything and I really don't care how fast he can drive a Honda.

that being said I have really enjoyed the new shows.

the basic formula is intact and the guys chemistry with each other is as fun as ever. I hope they keep traveling around the world with the tent instead of (as speculated) moving into the new test track as a permanent studio. it's a cool idea having different types of audiences against different backdrops. they looked like they were having a great time, the cinematography and editing is still brilliant, and the cars were awesome, the driving was intense. props on Amazon for letting them make off-color jokes and getting away with saying naughty words like "sh!t."

at one point they had the American crowd making fun of the RAF. and then there were all the little jabs they took at Audi and Volkswagen. also had a good laugh at the celebrities who kept "dying" before their appearance. so silly. so British. the boys are back!

• Tchuck, Android and HeavyDuke like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:26 AM

I don't give a f/ck what Tom Cruise thinks about anything and I really don't care how fast he can drive a Honda.

Well.. chances are he could even outrun that Honda.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:01 AM

The thing I miss, though, is actually a more casual driver in a more casual car on that track. So far, there is little to suggest that A) the new track is difficult or B) that the American is a great driver.

The only times we've seen are compared to his other times. If we got to see another driver, but not a professional one, drive around the track, and then had the American do it in the same car, we might actually get an appreciation of his skills. So far he is just annoying.

That was the advantage of Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, that we got to understand how good The Stig was.

I am enjoying the show so far, but I'll say that the second episode was definitely the weaker of the two. And I feel like the whole Special Ops segment was largely a missed opportunity. But unfortunately, it just felt like three old dudes living out a SpecOps fantasy.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

Is it really that good of a show? I like Top Gear, don't get me wrong, but the last two seasons really sucked.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:43 PM Edited by El Diablo, 01 December 2016 - 07:45 PM.

That was the advantage of Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, that we got to understand how good The Stig was.

I am enjoying the show so far, but I'll say that the second episode was definitely the weaker of the two. And I feel like the whole Special Ops segment was largely a missed opportunity. But unfortunately, it just felt like three old dudes living out a SpecOps fantasy.

oh I understand the point of Star in a cheap ass Car.

I just really didn't care for it.

I agree with you about 'American Stig' though. they haven't found the groove there yet. he's not funny and I'm not convinced he's the best driver they could've gotten under contract. and you're right about the 2nd episode. the Spec Ops portion was a bit pants... but it's not like they haven't done this sh/t before.

Is it really that good of a show? I like Top Gear, don't get me wrong, but the last two seasons really sucked.

if you're tired of the boys same ole schtick, then you might not get super excited by Grand Tour. but for me it's exactly what I've always enjoyed. Boorish Jeremy. Pipsqueak Hammond, and old Captain Slow. taking the piss. making fun. driving cool cars. beautiful scenery. stuff blowing up.

classic.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:00 AM

The last episode was the one so far, the first one started great but died way fast, the second one was meh.

We get to see those three and that's great, can't wait for the Scotland's episode.
  • El Diablo likes this

ExTerminator
  • ExTerminator

Very good

• Members
  • New-Caledonia

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

The third episode is a bit too bland, tbh. 

Noale
  • Noale

I DID NOT HIT HER I DID NOT OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

The second episode was a bit too much of a change. I found myself skipping through a lot of the "combat" stuff, which left me with about 10-15 minutes of actual tolerable material.

• OverTheBelow likes this

dewtech
  • dewtech

Tied down with battleship chains

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

I've really enjoyed all 3, especially after the car crash that was the top gear with Evans...

Irish45455
  • Irish45455

Irish45455

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:06 AM

I like it so far. First episode was kind of a "Look what we can do now that we aren't on cable TV!", episode two was a bit repetitive and boring. Three was pretty good and four just felt like good old Top Gear, the way things are meant to be. The American is getting old. We get it, he hates everything that isn't American and any car that isn't V8 and RWD. Same with Celebrity Brain Crash. They kill a celebrity, James says, "So he/she isn't coming on?" and it's only been four episodes but I'm already sick to death and bored to tears of it.
  • El Diablo, Campo. and like this

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

I'm a long time Top Gear fan, but this Grand Tour stuff is getting silly now. The celebrity mishap is not funny. The American is not funny. This just doesn't have the same attraction as when the trio were in Top Gear. I should be excited to watch each episode every Friday when it releases, but it's so dull I find myself a few days or even a week behind, and I can cut my watch time to about 15 minutes because of just how much is skippable. I seem to be slowly forgetting this show.

Good news is we get a second series of James Mays' Reassembler, so there's that.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:12 PM Edited by El Diablo, 12 December 2016 - 10:12 PM.

oh yeah.

James May tediously assembling a guitar - when he knows nothing else about it - really makes for a compelling watch :turn:

Adam Savage did it better...

agree they haven't hit the same stride yet as they had found with Top Gear and they need to replace American 'stig' but I'm still enjoying it for being heads and shoulders above the Matt Leblanc edition. I haven't found myself 'excited' to watch the new episode the moment it comes out either, but something about having the boys together again talkin' bollocks and making fun is like comfort food. I don't mind having to skip past the occasional segment.

the divorce with the BBC was such a massive shakeup to such a cemented institution.

I'm willing to give the boys time to figure out the new setup.

ARTHUR.
  • ARTHUR.

Johnny Yen

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:09 PM

I found episode 3 and 4 welcome changes, it seems like they're going back to their roots a bit more. Dialogue seemed a bit looser and they seemed to be taking the piss more, could be because they were back in the UK. I just hope they don't use too much staged skits, it's hard to find funny.

• El Diablo and Ribsey like this

unbid
  • unbid

Sgt. Pooper Lonely Farts Club

• Zaibatsu
  • Indonesia
  • Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Episode 6 is the best one so far. Proper content (although the mid-segment is quite rubbish as usual), and it felt more like a "car show". IMO, you guys should watch it.
  • El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

yeah the Grand Tour is definitely improving as they go along.

I figured it would be kind of an up and down start as they hammer out the details and get comfortable again. really the only thing about the new show that I dislike are these pre-packaged sketches where they clearly have rehearsed lines and they're being directed like actors. it's not necessary.

drop the skits, stick with car talk. no one cares about politics or pop culture on this show.

otherwise :^:

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

It's getting better, yes. The 2 part special was enjoyable. But they really need to immediately drop some things. The dead celebrity and the American stig need to go.

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

American 'stig' sucks.

I don't know how that contract got signed. you figure somebody must've owed someone at Amazon a favor...

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Is there anywhere that lists how many episodes there will be this season?

Nico
  • Nico

Amused to death

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Undoubtely, my favourite segment was the Ford GT40 history. And that Ferrari P3, oh lord.

The stupid American driver is dull, IMO. I knew it would be hard to replace someone as iconic as The Stig. I just hope they also change the ridiculous "Celebrity Brain Crash" for the next season. Repeating EXACTLY the same f*cking joke every week is not funny. And this also applies to the mispelled names and the drone "getting shot" at the beginning. I mean, seriously? Is really necessary to do the same sh*t every episode?
  • El Diablo likes this

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

My favorite segment was Clarkson/May going at it with the rubber dildo, ending with it hitting Clarkson smack in the face.  :lol:

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

I think some of you are attacking the running gags a bit hard. Particularly the misspelt names and the drone getting shot. There are far bigger fish to fry, and moreover, those two things aren't exactly jokes, but more part of the show.

Personally, I don't mind the Celebrity Brain Crash segment so much, particularly because I look forward to the stunts they've planned to happen outside the tent. But the last one was particularly dull.

No, the American is probably the misfit. I wouldn't mind a driver who spoke, if it was just something interesting or funny he said. I definitely believe they are right on the money, that their Stig-replacement should speak, but their choice is an ill fitting.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:43 AM

Yeah, the American fit when they tested the two fords against each other, but it's getting old. I'm fine with everything else.

I actually am several weeks behind on the show, and just watched that episode. You brits really haven't had Mustangs over there? Mustangs are great. My dad has a 2008 Mustang. It's just so fun to drive. That said, I bet that Focus is fun as f*ck, as well.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

The recent episode was a big improvement. (Episode 9)

• JN92 likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 3 days ago Edited by darthYENIK, 3 days ago.

The Premiere is out.

Wonder when Hammonds accident is going to be addressed.

Starting episode one now

Edit: its in the first episode.
  • JuniorChubb likes this

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Van Society
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials Most Improved Driver 2016
    Best Event 2015 [Van Society Meetups]

Posted 3 days ago

IMO GT is not as good as Top Gear in its prime but it is one of the few shows I can watch with my son and both laugh at the jokes.

Looking forward to sitting done with a cup of tea and watching this at the weekend. :)

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 3 days ago

I would've been pretty surprised if they didn't address lil' Hammond's accident at the beginning. everyone has seen the footage now for 6 months. glad that the boys are back. I'll let them get a few episodes into the new season and then start watching. hopefully they drop the Dead Celebrity gag...

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 2 days ago

Season 2 so far is better than the first season. Getting rid of the American and Celebrity Brain Crash were good choices. However, I still think having a laptime board with a dedicated driver is worth having.

• El Diablo and JuniorChubb like this

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 hours ago Edited by Svip, 18 hours ago.

Tell that to the BBC lawyers. But yes, the new series seem to have more potential. And it's good to know they listen to feedback.
  • JuniorChubb likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 11 hours ago

they should definitely still have a Stig / professional driver and lap times.

but The American was not funny or interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users