Quantcast

» «
Photo

POLL: Should USBs replace Blu-Ray Disks as the new medium of selling m

19 replies to this topic

Poll: Should USBs replace Blu-Ray Disks as the new form of selling media? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Should they?

1. Yes. (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. No. (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote
The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:39 AM

I thought of this interesting idea; why not, instead of using Blu-Ray Disks to store and play your movies/games, they should be sold and stored in USB Drives? After all, they are much more reliable than discs, are more durable, they take up less space, are more advancement-friendly (if Intel comes up with a new type of USB, all you'd have to do is use a dongle), are getting cheaper, and since most laptops/ultrabooks don't have any type of disk drive, I think it'd make more sense to sell media in USBs. The companies who make them can even make a special mold and/or print for every different movie/game's USB to better differentiate legitimate copies with pirates. Why hasn't anyone else thought of this? In order to prevent piracy they can implement strict copy-protection (which is already being used in USBs), and coupled with different molds and/or prints for each different movie/game, piracy will be hard to maintain and pirates could easily be caught. The only downsides to me are the cost of production and/or bit-rot, which is pretty rare nowadays. What do you guys think?

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:13 AM

Why not just sell it digitally? Seems to be the way forward in my opinion.

TJGM
  • TJGM

Boss

• Members
  • Ireland
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:38 AM Edited by TJGM, 29 November 2016 - 06:38 AM.

Pretty sure digital media on a USB still doesn't reach the quality of Blu-ray. Plus nobody is going to make such a big change now when physical media is dying out and being replaced by digital purchases/streaming.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:46 AM

in the sense that any brick-and-mortar store (like Best Buy) would still sell physical media, it would be kind of cool to see USB replace discs.

but I don't know enough about whether it would result in the same file transfer quality or if you would lose anything.

but Noale is correct.

everything should just eventually go digital.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

Pretty sure digital media on a USB still doesn't reach the quality of Blu-ray. Plus nobody is going to make such a big change now when physical media is dying out and being replaced by digital purchases/streaming.

That statement doesn't really mean anything. Storage is storage. There's nothing special about Blu-ray as a storage medium. Looking at the UHD Blu-ray specs, the peak bitrate is 128 Mbits\s which would require a read speed of 16 MB\s. It's perfectly doable using the USB 3.0 standard.

It's not going to happen though. I think flash memory technology is still more expensive to manufacture. We're talking tens of gigabytes of storage. Blu-ray is fine but more prone to damage.

• The Duke Of Nukes likes this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:58 PM

what if you lose it, misplace it and or someone who isn't that technically competent mistakes it for a standard USB drive and wipes it? be much easier to misplace a USB drive that a CD plus how exactly would the copyright protection you mentioned work? even with drive protection imo it'd be broken pretty easily just like every other copying/protective custom that's been on dvd's/cd's/etc over the years. What if somebody wants to rip the movie for their own personal storage/usage, or is it just going to be "either take it in this format or f*ck you." ? I've broke a fair few USB drives over the years, wouldn't be very ideal if you'd paid £20/30/however much a movie would cost and then broke the drive.

I think people like to have physical copies of the media, something that can validate their purchase or come with artwork, extras etc. Maybe if they were bundled in cases similar to UMD's (remember those) it could happen and is definitely possible right now but I think everything moving to digital will be the next step in media distribution, I mean sh*t now you can pretty much get anything on demand; movies, music, games etc but still physical media wont die out for a very long time imo.

• Vik likes this

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:50 AM

what if you lose it, misplace it and or someone who isn't that technically competent mistakes it for a standard USB drive and wipes it? be much easier to misplace a USB drive that a CD plus how exactly would the copyright protection you mentioned work? even with drive protection imo it'd be broken pretty easily just like every other copying/protective custom that's been on dvd's/cd's/etc over the years. What if somebody wants to rip the movie for their own personal storage/usage, or is it just going to be "either take it in this format or f*ck you." ? I've broke a fair few USB drives over the years, wouldn't be very ideal if you'd paid £20/30/however much a movie would cost and then broke the drive.

I think people like to have physical copies of the media, something that can validate their purchase or come with artwork, extras etc. Maybe if they were bundled in cases similar to UMD's (remember those) it could happen and is definitely possible right now but I think everything moving to digital will be the next step in media distribution, I mean sh*t now you can pretty much get anything on demand; movies, music, games etc but still physical media wont die out for a very long time imo.

This option is obviously for people who like their physical copies though, not for people who like to download it digitally (I know you aren't the one saying "why not just buy it digitally", but other people here are, so I just wanted to point that out without making a new comment). Obviously, if you lose or break it, then that's too bad, just like any other physical thing (controller, mouse, etc), but let's say there are two people, both irresponsible, but one has a Blu-Ray Disc, and the other has a USB. Both lose their piece of media and they begin looking for them. They both found them between their own sofa, & they both were sitting right on top of them (but somehow didn't notice). Which one do you think would be in better condition. This is obviously just one of many scenarios, but you get the point. Yes, they should get their own cases, how do you think they should sell them? I think they should be small too, just to save space. USB Drive copy/write protection is more secure and complicated than CDs & DVDs, do you see very many stands selling pirated versions of Windows? I think not. You DO know that copy/write protection prevents someone from formatting the USB, right? What kind of technologically incompetent person would be able to format a copy/write protected USB? And HOW would he/she mistake it for a regular USB when it CLEARLY has "ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS: THE MOVIE" neatly printed on it with fancy font and everything? I used that movie as an example, but whatever. I don't get what you mean by "either take it in this format or f*ck you.", isn't there a standard format for movies? Aren't all computers able to play all formats? Whatever, I respect your opinion though.

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:30 AM

This option is obviously for people who like their physical copies though, not for people who like to download it digitally (I know you aren't the one saying "why not just buy it digitally", but other people here are, so I just wanted to point that out without making a new comment). Obviously, if you lose or break it, then that's too bad, just like any other physical thing (controller, mouse, etc), but let's say there are two people, both irresponsible, but one has a Blu-Ray Disc, and the other has a USB. Both lose their piece of media and they begin looking for them. They both found them between their own sofa, & they both were sitting right on top of them (but somehow didn't notice). Which one do you think would be in better condition. This is obviously just one of many scenarios, but you get the point. Yes, they should get their own cases, how do you think they should sell them? I think they should be small too, just to save space. USB Drive copy/write protection is more secure and complicated than CDs & DVDs, do you see very many stands selling pirated versions of Windows? I think not. You DO know that copy/write protection prevents someone from formatting the USB, right? What kind of technologically incompetent person would be able to format a copy/write protected USB? And HOW would he/she mistake it for a regular USB when it CLEARLY has "ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS: THE MOVIE" neatly printed on it with fancy font and everything? I used that movie as an example, but whatever. I don't get what you mean by "either take it in this format or f*ck you.", isn't there a standard format for movies? Aren't all computers able to play all formats? Whatever, I respect your opinion though.

"They both found them between their own sofa, & they both were sitting right on top of them" a disc would get scratched up just as easily as a usb device could have the connector snapped, debris in the port etc.

"do you see very many stands selling pirated versions of Windows?" I don't know if you've looked on TPB lately but theres isos for literally every version of Windows ever. I can't say I've seen any stalls selling anything pirated here (Britain) for a LONG time but it's common in places with massive markets like China.

ok you got me on the copy protection point but regardless of the design of the USB people could still mistake it since there's a sh*t ton of themed/designed USB drives out there.

"either take it in this format or f*ck you." - in the sense that if someone wants to make a copy of the movie on their own computer whether it be for backup purposes/network streaming/other legitimate purposes etc then they can't because of aforementioned protection.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:16 AM

If the future needs a new physical media format, it might be a UMD/minidisc type system once they can bring bluray disc sizes down to the proper size, the UMD/minidisc would offer physical protection of the disc from scratches and fingerprints as well as the technology that exists for last gen UMD/minidisc could be easily tailored to the modern design.

Should UMD/minidisc be adopted for modern use, it could mean a smaller footprint for storage on a shelving system like current dvd/bluray, Proper movie logo images like the ones seen on dvd/bluray as opposed to that being nonexistent on a smaller/thin usb drive or even sd card. Then you might as well add the $10-$20 to the price of the movie when you buy it at the store on an average 64gb usb drive which are prone to failing.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • Scotland
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:21 AM

Flash drives are neat to store temp files and because it's cheap. Most tend to die fast or get lost.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:47 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 30 November 2016 - 01:47 PM.

^ Good flash memory is more durable than any other storage medium if you take in consideration physical wear and tear. Remember that with Blu-ray on flash you would only read the files. Drives tend to wear out more quickly if you rewrite stuff on them all the time, which would not be the case for read-only drives.

I think that unless physical media goes away completely flash storage is the next logical step for movies and games once storage size requirements go high enough. Mechanical drives are pretty much obsolete at this point (few people buy them for PCs for instance) and developing higher density optical discs is going to be more and more challenging. Flash is already ahead of Blu-ray by a whole lot.

• The Duke Of Nukes likes this

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:28 PM Edited by TheMcSame, 30 November 2016 - 08:19 PM.

I can't really see it happening tbh... Flash memory is cheap, but discs are dirt cheap.

I mean, I can pick up 50 25GB Blu-Ray discs for a little under £25 (just the first result on Amazon). That's 1.25TB. For reference, that's about £0.02 per GB, that's actually better than most HDDs. I mean, imagine trying to buy 1.25TB worth of flash storage, you're looking in the £100's. 

As others have mentioned, digital is where it's going. As for physical... I'd say UMD because it's honestly a pretty neat thing, but DVD/BDs are well established and pretty much everyone has something that can play at least DVDs. At this point in time, unless something significantly cheaper crops up, the replacement for BDs is probably going to be another optical disc, perhaps HVD when/if it becomes more affordable in the future? 

Flash drives are neat to store temp files and because it's cheap. Most tend to die fast or get lost.

Completely depends on the memory used. I've had a good few drives that've lasted years.

Hell, how often do you hear about RAM failing? That's flash memory as well. If built well, flash memory can be ridiculously reliable.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • Scotland
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

All the expensive ones I've got still work fine sure. How much are you going to spend if you need to mass distribute though? Discs are way better for that.
  • Burbalade likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

The idea is that it will get cheaper over time.

JN92
  • JN92

Crackhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

I would safely assume physical media is on the verge of literally dying off.  I don't think we'll be purchasing blu ray much longer.  Once the infrastructure is available we're going to have everything in the cloud and it'll be accessed that way.

It's a day I never thought I would see since I always figured it would take 12-48 hours per SD movie to download so it would never take off.  But what with HD streaming etc now the day is almost upon us I believe.

seven50iL
  • seven50iL

Bmw Over Bullsh*t

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

I agree physical media is seeing it's last days; to the general market at least. In my opinion, I think it's just going to go to the same route like Mini DV tape. There's always going to be people buying it and want a format that's  physical. I own a Sony VX2000 prosumer camcorder. From my understanding, Sony and other companies still produces mini dv tapes.   

But for me one reason I would only keep physical's if something happens. Also, I love collecting box art's and it looks really nice on a shelf n what not ahaha. Also, I can also bring my media to anywhere I want to. Imagine having the new Madden 17 or a 2017 sports game but can't play it and bring to your friends crib because you don't have a physical version? But I guess this is perfect excuse for those friends that never want to let you borrow games lmao! 

• JN92 likes this

JN92
  • JN92

Crackhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

I agree physical media is seeing it's last days; to the general market at least. In my opinion, I think it's just going to go to the same route like Mini DV tape. There's always going to be people buying it and want a format that's  physical. I own a Sony VX2000 prosumer camcorder. From my understanding, Sony and other companies still produces mini dv tapes.   

But for me one reason I would only keep physical's if something happens. Also, I love collecting box art's and it looks really nice on a shelf n what not ahaha. Also, I can also bring my media to anywhere I want to. Imagine having the new Madden 17 or a 2017 sports game but can't play it and bring to your friends crib because you don't have a physical version? But I guess this is perfect excuse for those friends that never want to let you borrow games lmao! 

A few good points.  There will I would say, like you, always be a market for physical media.  It may be in short supply and low demand but personally I still collect vinyl.  I can't play the sh*t but I can always say I have it.  The album artwork is lightyears ahead of what you get now on CD and there's just something cool about a stylus reading a vinyl than a laser reading a disk I reckon.

• seven50iL likes this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

do you skate?

• seven50iL likes this

The Duke Of Nukes
  • The Duke Of Nukes

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:07 AM

What I mean by this, is making USBs the new standard of selling PHYSICAL media, digital distribution would still remain and dominate, but make USBs the newest alternative. Just pointing that out in case anyone is confused, because everyone keeps bringing up streaming and digital downloads.

JN92
  • JN92

Crackhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:20 AM Edited by JN92, 08 December 2016 - 11:20 AM.

What I mean by this, is making USBs the new standard of selling PHYSICAL media, digital distribution would still remain and dominate, but make USBs the newest alternative. Just pointing that out in case anyone is confused, because everyone keeps bringing up streaming and digital downloads.

Well if we're talking physical then I don't see USB's taking off in that respect.  I think discs are still far cheaper to mass produce.  This is based off a long standing opinion of mine personally so anyone feel free to chip in and correct me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users