Photo

Real Life NY Businesses in GTA III

22 replies to this topic
AlexGRFan97
  • AlexGRFan97

Builder of Robots, Conqueror of Arenas

• Members

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:16 PM

You've probably seen them thousands of times, but did you know that a large majority of the shops and restaurants in GTA III are (or were) actual businesses that were operating in New York circa 2000 at the time that III was being developed? I discovered this by accident when going through txd.img and looking up a few of the shop names. This is what I've found so far:

Spoiler

Note there are more, mostly in the Ghost Town area in cases such as Trattoria Spaghetto but as you just saw plenty of them were on the regular accessible map, so I wonder how R* were never sued for copyright reasons considering these are real places that were put in the game without changing their logos/names. On some of them you can see they changed the phone numbers, but the names were left intact to a lesser or greater degree, a lot of them remaining completely unchanged.

>inb4 "who cares lol it's a 15 y/o game"

Just thought it was something interesting in III that I haven't seen many people talk about, with the wiki making vague mentions on certain articles. Also an excuse to test out my compacted post spoiler format which I plan to put into use on a much larger scale for an upcoming thread of much more importance.

• stef_92, Glumok, Azurex and 17 others like this

monq
  • monq

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Abkhazia

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

This is good.

By the way, there are some textures, especially around Chinatown, where the numbers (like phone numbers) are crudely removed/modified.

Rim
  • Rim

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:13 PM

Interesting findings. I have one more:

GTAIII

Spoiler

Irl

Spoiler
  • SMACKED! likes this

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:09 PM

Nice findings!

gts.
  • gts.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:15 PM

Interesting findings. I have one more...

GTA III:

Spoiler

Real life:

Spoiler

Interesting. All real life photos/images was taken in 1997. Here is some ones more...

Spoiler

Gravarty
  • Gravarty

FeelsAmazingMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:44 AM Edited by countergame, 22 November 2016 - 12:27 PM.

Holy f*ck.. I'm just realising how poorly made the buildings are.. Just look at rwms. post, the door on the left is bigger than the store itself :D Sure, there are a lot of buildings in all GTA 3D's maps that have wrong sized doors etc.. but this is just ridiculous :D

But nice findings though, this is really interesting. 

More Stuff:

Freiman Coated Fabric Corp:

Liberty City: 

Spoiler

RL

Spoiler

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:24 AM Edited by unopieceo, 23 November 2016 - 12:37 AM.

Woooo found one

STEPS CLOTHING COMPANY

III

Spoiler

IRL

Spoiler

Im surprised they kept that daggy sign with the painted over "every item $10" for so long

• Mega and Chase2002 like this

crashoverride93
  • crashoverride93

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:11 AM

Wow that's crazy

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:07 AM

That's pretty amazing. I wonder if any of these Businesses ever saw an increase in Trade as a result of the free Advertising?

Great Finds, Alex. :) :^:

• Indy007 and Chase2002 like this

Doctor Dollars
  • Doctor Dollars

Wiseguy Despiser

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:56 AM

I'd love to walk in some of those businesses and show them on my iphone that they exist in a video game.

• universetwisters and Indy007 like this

Indy007
  • Indy007

I'm kind of a rebel. I open chip bags from the bottom.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:54 AM

You've probably seen them thousands of times, but did you know that a large majority of the shops and restaurants in GTA III are (or were) actual businesses that were operating in New York circa 2000 at the time that III was being developed? I discovered this by accident when going through txd.img and looking up a few of the shop names. This is what I've found so far:

Spoiler

Note there are more, mostly in the Ghost Town area in cases such as Trattoria Spaghetto but as you just saw plenty of them were on the regular accessible map, so I wonder how R* were never sued for copyright reasons considering these are real places that were put in the game without changing their logos/names. On some of them you can see they changed the phone numbers, but the names were left intact to a lesser or greater degree, a lot of them remaining completely unchanged.
>inb4 "who cares lol it's a 15 y/o game"
Just thought it was something interesting in III that I haven't seen many people talk about, with the wiki making vague mentions on certain articles. Also an excuse to test out my compacted post spoiler format which I plan to put into use on a much larger scale for an upcoming thread of much more importance.

This is a fantastic post! Thanks so much for taking the time to share it! I knew about the Joe's Pizza and when I first saw it I was pretty ecstatic because there's also a Joe's Pizza here in LA which of course is part of the same chain in NY. So cool!

Glumok
  • Glumok

10 years on GTAForums... C'est très pomme de terre.

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Glumok, 4 weeks ago.

Amazing work, AlexGRFan97!

I'm currently working on a HD version of the GTA III textures (I know there are plenty of mods for that, but none is really accurate to the real locations in my opinion).
So, during my research to find the real counterpart of the GTA III businesses, I've found some good ones:

One of the police station is based on this police station located at 306 West 54th St. New York, NY 10019

Spoiler

I also found the real life "Sommers Real Estate", it was located at 353 7th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215 (it is now definitely closed).
Spoiler

As for the Goodfellas Trattoria, here is the best comparison I could find:

Spoiler

Now, there is one location I wonder where it is. Anybody knows? 
Spoiler
  • unopieceo, GTAKid667, universetwisters and 1 other like this

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Now, there is one location I wonder where it is. Anybody knows? 

Spoiler

This is in-game? Where's it exactly?

• unopieceo likes this

Glumok
  • Glumok

• Members
  • None

This is in-game? Where's it exactly?

It appears at least once on the central island, not far from the stadium, close to the bridge:

Spoiler

UPDATE: Ah! Got it! It is located at... 366 Brodway, New York City. Unfortunately, I can't find any good front picture of it.
Spoiler
  • FiIip likes this

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 4 weeks ago

Noice. Broadway wouldve been my first gues thats where R* headquarters are located and from the looks of it they spent a lot of time just wandering around locally taking reference shots

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 4 weeks ago

@Glumok you might wanna check this mod before starting your own.
http://gtaforums.com...xbox-version-hd
Maybe the things you wan to do were already done ;) If I remember correctly Rim used the same textures but he found the original sources in high quality.

gts.
  • gts.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Interesting how R* didn't care about edit at least a little bit the original source, I like it. Great find!

Glumok
  • Glumok

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

@Glumok you might wanna check this mod before starting your own. [...]Rim used the same textures but he found the original sources in high quality.

Thanks for the info! I've already checked this mod (among some others) to see what the quality is. He and his team did an amazing job!
But I'm looking for way higher image resolution for the textures. See the comparison below:

Spoiler

Also, here is an other real life place I've located in GTA III. I don't know how this building is named in the game, but it is based on the Rockfeller Plaza entrance, located at 50 Rockefeller Plaza, Manhattan:
Spoiler

• gts. likes this

gts.
  • gts.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hahaha, this is amazing. Great find Glumok, I always liked that building in GTA3.

• Glumok likes this

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 4 weeks ago

2048x2048 is way too high for an old engine like renderware. GTA 3 graphics are poorly optimized. If all building textures are like that the game would run slow even on some high end machines. 512x512 is a good alter ative and it's still better ghan the vanilla128x128 textures. But if you have the time retexturing LC I would be interested to see the results. It would be laggy af on my PC but I can give it a try.

Glumok
  • Glumok

• Members
  • None

2048x2048 is way too high for an old engine like renderware.

Oh this I know! It's not to run the game with, but rather for rendering in a 3D software :)
It's crazy how, even with such low-poly modeled city, high resolution textures plus a global illumination/ambient occlusion combo can give a "realistic" rendering to old Liberty City!

Spoiler

That being said, if anyone is willing to convert those 2048x2048 targa textures to 512x512 txd textures, it'll be a pleasure to share them!

• universetwisters likes this

stef_92
  • stef_92

GTA3 Freak

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by stef_92, 4 weeks ago.

These renders look awesome. Even better than the static light/shadow maps implemented in the xbox version. Well you should contact Rim and show him some of your textures. He might like them.

Rim
  • Rim

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Also, here is an other real life place I've located in GTA III. I don't know how this building is named in the game, but it is based on the Rockfeller Plaza entrance, located at 50 Rockefeller Plaza, Manhattan:

Spoiler

That's a brilliant find, Glumok. I always wondered where this place really was IRL.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users