Alderney, Where are you?

14 replies to this topic
Stoopid Stuff
  • Stoopid Stuff

69 + Something = Rockstar

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:21 AM

The title says everything, but, someone have a theory or something about what happened with Alderney in GTA Chinatown Wars, it's weird the fact of Alderney don't exist in GTA CW...

:miranda:

tommzy2
  • tommzy2

Prankster

• Members

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:21 AM

they couldn't possibly fit all of Liberty City (IV) on the DS, so early in development they decided to leave out Alderney.

Because it was decided early in development, they never bothered to add it in the future ports of the game because it would require too much work, all the ports of Chinatown Wars are just quick cash-grabs.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:31 AM

Because what point would Alderney have in a game with Chinatown in it's title, when Alderney doesn't have a Chinatown? If it were called Koreatown Wars maybe, but no Alderney for Chinatown Wars!

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:05 PM

all the ports of Chinatown Wars are just quick cash-grabs.

...And one of the best and most underrated games in the Series.  I have it for iOS and I am not complaining that I had to spend $2.99 on such a great game...

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

It stil kinda was a cash grab though. Lots of ports that rarely bring anything new are.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:20 PM

bring anything new

Hm, sounds like you clearly never played CW since it in fact HAS features that have not been in a single GTA game to date.  Using Gas Stations to make Molotovs for instance, the entire Drug Dealing Minigame, some of the most bizarre Side Missions like Noodle Run.  It's a lot of fun, actually, if you can get past the camera view and Controls.  Personally, I never had any issue playing it and it felt natural on iOS since the start.  I find it pretty neat that you need to hotwire a Vehicle before starting it by using touch screen Controls.  Dumpster Diving for Weapons, etc, etc, etc.  I could go on all day about how CW is one of a kind and nowhere like any other GTA in the Series, thus is far from a cash grab.  Even the Story Missions are quite unique and a big reason for it is how the game was designed and the way of using the on screen Controls to do certain tasks within the game.

But yeah, cash grab, horrible game.  Cool, man.  :^:

• Payne Killer and Platybus like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:31 PM Edited by universetwisters, 16 November 2016 - 07:32 PM.

I've played it, just everything felt gimmicky other than the drug dealing. Hotwiring sounds like fun too in practice, but then you realize that, much like real life, it's easier just to carjack someone rather than monkey with hacking the engine or whatever it was. But that and making molotovs at gas stations, picking through trash, etc. just felt like it was thrown in there to justify it being on a Nintendo DS or anything else with a touch screen.

mrfilmpjesmaker123
  • mrfilmpjesmaker123

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrFilmpjesmaker123

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:52 PM

bring anything new

Hm, sounds like you clearly never played CW since it in fact HAS features that have not been in a single GTA game to date.  Using Gas Stations to make Molotovs for instance, the entire Drug Dealing Minigame, some of the most bizarre Side Missions like Noodle Run.  It's a lot of fun, actually, if you can get past the camera view and Controls.  Personally, I never had any issue playing it and it felt natural on iOS since the start.  I find it pretty neat that you need to hotwire a Vehicle before starting it by using touch screen Controls.  Dumpster Diving for Weapons, etc, etc, etc.  I could go on all day about how CW is one of a kind and nowhere like any other GTA in the Series, thus is far from a cash grab.  Even the Story Missions are quite unique and a big reason for it is how the game was designed and the way of using the on screen Controls to do certain tasks within the game.

But yeah, cash grab, horrible game.  Cool, man.  :^:

I think he's talking about the ports specificially. Yes GTA CW did bring new stuff, but when the games go to iOS, android and all that sh*t there's nothing new on them.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

And if it didn't come to Android/iOS, would I be playing it?  Would I get to experience CW if it wasn't for the Mobile Port?  Nope.  So to me, win.  Furthermore, I don't want anyone to "change" the games.  I want them released as original as possible so I can experience the game for what it is...

Stoopid Stuff
  • Stoopid Stuff

69 + Something = Rockstar

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:00 PM Edited by BreadOfCheese, 18 December 2016 - 02:01 PM.

Liberty City without their neighborhood city, Alderney is weird in my opinion...

:rampage:

Platybus
  • Platybus

Crackhead

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

Because it was decided early in development, they never bothered to add it in the future ports of the game because it would require too much work, all the ports of Chinatown Wars are just quick cash-grabs.

PSP port brought Melanie Mallard's missions, and mobile devices port brought HD graphics and immediate unlock of Xin's missions. There are some notable improvements in these ports (unlike GTA: LCS' Anniversary port).

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:10 PM Edited by radioman, 09 January 2017 - 07:11 PM.

the entire Drug Dealing Minigame, some of the most bizarre Side Missions like Noodle Run

Those aren't new as the drug dealing minigame was apart of Vice City Stories (VCS) as part of the Empire missions. Noodle run was in Liberty City Stories (LCS) as a side mission called "Punk Noodles" in Portland area. So is the Trash pick up missions-it was also in LCS as a side mission called "Trash Dash". And best of all those did not rely on the outdated top down camera from the days of GTA 1, 2, and London. So, those are NOT new features-may have been updated, but not new.

Also, it is mainly a touch screen game, which from my experience are extremely glitch/touchy on the controls part as compared to using a controller or mouse and keyboard.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:14 PM Edited by MetalMilitia89, 09 January 2017 - 07:18 PM.

Dude, Punk Noodles is just "Pizza Boy" 2.0 which was in Vice City (2002).  Nothing new.  Noodle Run, where you go to people's houses and ring their doorbells and deliver noodles while killing enemies, tell me what game that is in besides CW?  Empire Site Side Missions in VCS were a joke and some of the most boring nonsense I ever did.  It's the SAME thing over and over, trying to max out each Business Type.  You do each Mission 15 times to max out respect, or 6 times in things like Robbery, Smuggling, and Drugs.  Still the same thing over and over.  Like how Paramedics, Vigilante, Firefighter, and Taxi Fares are all identical in the 3D Era.  Tons of "samey" stuff in the 3D Era.  Tons of "samey" stuff in the HD Era.  CW is one of a kind.

You can worry over the "names" given to such a Side Mission, but I am talking about what you actually DO for a Side Mission and that is why CW is unique.  Pizza Boy = VC.  Roboi's Food Mart = SA.  Hippy Shopper = SA.  Burger Shot = SA.  Punk Noodles = LCS.  Joe's Well Snacked Pizza = LCS.  Do I need to continue?  All of these are IDENTICAL for their respective game.  Drive to blip on map, do a "drive-by" and throw an item to someone.  ALL the same.  Now...Noodle Run in CW?  Entirely different...

Just like the Alpha Mail Side Mission in CW, too.  You deliver Mail while being chased by other Vehicles that are shooting at you.  Or how 'bout the Mission in CW where you need to disguise in a snake costume and breathe fire and impress the crowd?  No GTA's have the uniqueness of what CW has.  I can go all day if you really need me too...

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

That's why I said those may be *updated* features, but they're not new by any means-just remakes on old features. :)

Also, the game (CW) uses the old top down camera from the days of GTA 1, 2, and London-not the default camera like III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, EFLC, and V.

MorsPrincipiumEst
  • MorsPrincipiumEst

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

It's not exactly straight, vertical, TOP DOWN View.  It's Isometric, Bird's Eye View.  When I view Videos on Youtube for I, II, London 69/61, or Advance, I get dizzy after a while, actually, due to it being Top Down and I hate that view.  However, I don't have a problem with CW's View and find it simple to play, as well.  When I switch to Top Down View in III, for instance, I also don't have an issue.  It's only the 2D Era Top Down that kills it for me.  I'll admit I PREFER the third person view over Isometric, but just because of some "view" or "controls" isn't going to stop me from playing a great, underrated game and get good at it.  I like all 10 of the GTA's I own and you can probably guess which 5 I still don't own (2D Era - I, II, London 69/61, and Advance).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users