General US Politics Discussion

3,712 replies to this topic
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 2 days ago

Wikileaks turned down leaks on russian government during US presidential campaign.

“We had several leaks sent to Wikileaks, including the Russian hack. It would have exposed Russian activities and shown WikiLeaks was not controlled by Russian security services,” the source who provided the messages wrote to FP. “Many Wikileaks staff and volunteers or their families suffered at the hands of Russian corruption and cruelty, we were sure Wikileaks would release it. Assange gave excuse after excuse.”

http://foreignpolicy...ntial-campaign/

Figures. WikiLeaks has been acting like a Kremlin organization for a while now. I'm just not sure if that's what they've always been or if Assange went crazy after a while in that embassy and decided to work for Putin.

Fonz
  • Fonz

Passarim quis pousar, n緌 deu, voou

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Fonz, 2 days ago.

I disagree with this on both counts. Race is not an artificial construct, it's a biological taxon. A layman can tell your race with only his eyes, geneticists can tell your race by your DNA, and 20 years after your expiration a forensic analyst can determine your race by your skeleton. There are unique differences among the 3 anthropologically recognized races. I also believe that the protection of one does not have to come at the expense of another.

You're a f*cking idiot. 'Race' is actually an extremely ambiguous concept, biologically and anthropologically, and is indeed constructed. First of all, there are no 'races' within humankind--there was never sufficient genetic mutation to support this category. What you call race is actually called ethnicity, and it refers to the fairly irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things, mutations and phenotypical differences that anyone can see. That's why modern anthropology, by and large, is moving towards a cultural understanding of human diversity and abandoning those concepts as the basic crap they are. Secondly, your "3 anthropologically recognized races" garbage is racial pseudoscience. I expected a little more effort, since you're the resident pretend-scientist, but it's only fitting that a troglodyte like you should (hopefully) be banned for endorsing equally stupid sh*t like scientific racism.

• El Diablo, Tchuck, Melchior and 6 others like this

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

If you ♥ the $, then prepare to die for it.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Triple Vacuum Seal, 2 days ago.

Race is not an artificial construct, it's a biological taxon.

And there you go huffin' paint again. Race is defined by states. It has no biological bearings apart from a layman's casual assessment of one's relative melanin levels/complexion.

There are unique differences among the 3 anthropologically recognized races.

Lol. Oh so there are 3 of them now? Not only are the supposed taxons you referenced incompatible with race as it's commonly constructed (Caucasoids even as defined by these outdated categories range deep into the Asian and African continents to encompass people who would never self-identify as white), but you completely ignore the rather substantial cultural differences between the various 'white cultures' within Europe. European history has been bloody for a reason.  These cultures enjoy a modern sense of unity that folks take for granted.  At least in spirit, this union is a response to centuries of bloodshed and unwillingness to do away with the very cultural boundaries you pretend never existed.

Increasing the fertility rate is literally the only thing that can solve this problem.

The problem with this line of thinking, well there are many, but the most obvious problem is that it implies that the sheer number of whites is the primary factor in "white culture's" influence. The disproportionate influence of what you've designated as 'white culture' relative to the global population contradicts that assertion right off the bat.

You immediately associated 'white' with wealth and I can shred that fantasy.

No actually the wealth bit was about nations with adequate economic resources and the female access to education that often accompanies it, having a great deal of downward pressure on birth rates as more women opt for professional roles.  I assumed you knew that since you were so deeply focused on these UN-Backed Facts.  The global beacons for "white culture", at least as you've attempted to define it, do account for much of the world's wealth so thanks for pointing that out.

In absolutely no way did I misinterpret the UN's data. There is only one possible interpretation of every white nation experiencing a decline due to birth rates. What's the interpretation? Every white nation is experiencing a decline due to birth rates. Go ahead and explain how I misconstrued that.

Sure. You misunderstood correlation for causality. This was in large part due to your failure to control for numerous factors before straddling your confirmation bias. These nations being 'white' has nothing to do with them failing to maintain the ideal 2.1 children per women rate.

In fact, I would be interested in a more insightful inquiry into how a certain socioeconomic order and its resulting worker lifestyle pushes people to determine that procreating isn't worth it altogether.  Careerism and raising a family aren't really that compatible at the moment.

• El Diablo, Tchuck, Melchior and 4 others like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 2 days ago

Someone on Reddit has outlined how Trump's mind works formulating responses... https://np.reddit.co...tatues/dlr6e59/

Pretty accurate, if you ask me. I've known bullsh*tters in my life, and they all act like that. Bad is bad, good is good, no gray area, just black and white. Quick responses that make no sense, followed by contradictions.
  • El Diablo, ten-a-penny and Fallcreek like this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 2 days ago

There's also silence. Whenever he hears a question or a statement from someone he hasn't decided the bucket for, he'll just meet them with silence and walk away, or ignore them completely and do something else.

I'm sure that could easily be manipulated. Too bad the media hasn't caught up to it, and keeps insisting on playing hardball with the questions, as if he was a normal president.

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted A day ago

Surprise surprise... Bannon out.

• ten-a-penny likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

"Goddess Of Light"

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted A day ago

All of this outrage about white supremacism on the left makes me wonder: has there ever been a leftist protest denouncing Islamic extremism (specifically)? I really can't come up with anything. If we're going to blame the right (including Trump, insofar as he aligns with the right) for having blind spots that make them unable to condemn far-right extremism I think we have something analogous on the left (which reminds me of that time when Hillary refused to call this stuff "Islamic extremism" and basically no one on the left cared).

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted A day ago

All of this outrage about white supremacism on the left

Everyone is outraged about white supremacism, other than white supremacists. It's not a left vs right issue.

has there ever been a leftist protest denouncing Islamic extremism (specifically)

Has there ever been a pro-Islamic extremism protest in the US? Islamic extremism is pretty universally denounced by all non-Muslims and a vast majority of Muslims. And it's not exactly a big social issue in the US that people need to bother with.

You seem unable to comprehend very simple things. People are protesting in the streets because their fellow Americans are wearing Nazi paraphernalia and chanting Nazi slogans. If Muslims dared to march for Sharia Law or something as retarded as that, they probably wouldn't just let them.

How long until he starts leaking about everything?

• sivispacem, RedDagger, Triple Vacuum Seal and 3 others like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted A day ago

All of this outrage about white supremacism on the left makes me wonder: has there ever been a leftist protest denouncing Islamic extremism (specifically)? I really can't come up with anything.

It's a cute tu quoque, but a bit of a pointless one. Why would there be? It's a bit like questioning whether there's ever been a protest specifically composed of Morris Dancers against Islamic Extremism.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

"Goddess Of Light"

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted A day ago

Terrorist groups are more organized and therefore more of an immediate threat (perhaps this is more true in Europe, but regardless). I was merely pointing out that this is a blind spot for lefties as far as I can tell. It's usually the right that's outraged about Islamic terrorists and calls it by its name.

Not really an appeal to hypocrisy. I don't fundamentally disapprove with the arguments on their side (insofar as they are not actually advocating for the killing of people spouting hate speech) but I don't see this as huge a deal as they make it out to be. I see a willingness on their side to lump everyone in at that protest in the neo-Nazi category but at the same time they don't typically address the problem of Islamic extremism by its name nor do they think it's a big deal. Remember all the headlines saying "you're more likely to die of "x" than terrorism". Well, guess what? The same is true for far-right domestic terrorists. In fact even more so.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted A day ago

I was merely pointing out that this is a blind spot for lefties as far as I can tell.

"As far as you can tell" doesn't strike me as particularly far. Cherry picking "lefties" as a defined group and the claiming they have a blind spot to Islamic extremism because they don't protest the issue in isolation is clearly utterly ridiculous.

The only group who do seem to protest Islamic extremism in isolation are fascists. Does that mean that all other groups have a "problem" with it. Because that's what your arguing.
  • ten-a-penny and Fonz like this

Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

Ban Roulette Winner 2017!

• Members
  • Antarctica
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted A day ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems Session is the only person left in trumps original staff not fired or quit so far?

Aside from Jarred of course

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted A day ago Edited by Rockstar Vienna, A day ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems Session is the only person left in trumps original staff not fired or quit so far?

Aside from Jarred of course

Yeah it's hard to keep track of.

Here's a list.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted A day ago Edited by The Yokel, A day ago.

Remember all the headlines saying "you're more likely to die of "x" than terrorism". Well, guess what? The same is true for far-right domestic terrorists. In fact even more so.

That's not some kind of leftist propaganda. It's a fact, and it exists to counter the endless fear-mongering from the politicians and the mainstream media.

And you still don't get it. People aren't protesting against far-right groups because of their acts of terror, they're protesting because of their ideas, because of what these groups represent and how serious of a threat they are. Unlike Islamic extremists, these people have a very realistic chance of spreading their ideology and taking over the country, or at the very least damage it permanently. Are you seriously going to ignore the historic context of white supremacy in the US? Civil rights movement wasn't that long ago. Neither was slavery.

• ten-a-penny likes this

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

Trump'll run out of scapegoats soon.

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted A day ago

For what? By which I mean, what's he done to piss Trump off specifically? Trump doesn't care about public opinion or pressure except insofar as it bruises his ego. Was it the interview he did with that website recently (that he claimed wasn't supposed to be an interview)?

If it does have to do with the "interview", then either Bannon's not as smart as he's been made out to be, or he's got some trick up his sleeve. From what I've heard, this might actually be one of the few things Trump could do that would piss the alt-right off; there's at least a faction of them more loyal to Bannon than Trump. If that's true, and Bannon knows it, then it might be him getting rid of Trump more than the other way around.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted A day ago

I think Bannon was fed up with the lack of progress to his agenda. There was talk of Bannon staying till the 14th, but he stayed on a little longer due to the fallout of Charlottesville, but decided it was not worth it staying on.

I do not feel it was Bannon pissing off Trump, but more Bannon being disappointed in Trump. Bannon is an opportunist at heart, and like Trump is willing to throw earlier loyalty out the window, if it isn't working for him anymore. But unlike Trump, Bannon was still more measured in his speech and tone.

Yet, now Bannon is saying the Trump presidency is over. Which gives me the impression that Bannon will spend his return to Breitbart attacking the President more frequently than what currently has been the case.

I am not sure what this means. Does this mean the Trump presidency is actually over? Or that Bannon will have his base abandon Trump?

I wonder who then Trump will have left for a base.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted A day ago Edited by Eutyphro, A day ago.

That's not some kind of leftist propaganda. It's a fact, and it exists to counter the endless fear-mongering from the politicians and the mainstream media.

It's a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing, it seems. I think it is related to political polarization. I really agree with ΣΓ that sometimes the double standard can become somewhat strange and irrational. In the quality elitist Dutch newspaper I read the articles about what happened in Charlottesville were full of very harsh and strong condemnation, whereas the one about the apalling attack in Spain were apathetic and neutral to a degree that was strange. Eventhough the terror threat in my country coming from extremist Islamists is quite high, and I expect we're going to get hit with such an attack sooner rather than later.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted A day ago

I feel like the protests after these terror attacks show pretty much where these people stand on terrorism in general, including so-called Islamic terrorism. Having been out of my own country for the last two months, I haven't been able to get a real sense about my papers' coverage of the Charlottesville and Barcelona incidents, but my general sense is that the latter is being treated far more sober and seriously, getting the day-long running 'breaking news' cycle.

Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

Ban Roulette Winner 2017!

• Members
  • Antarctica
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted A day ago Edited by Ai家Cob家, A day ago.

People though Richard Nixons Saturday Massacre was bad, Nixon rolling over in his grave laughing at Trump.

Another presidential advisory committee is breaking up.

Actor Kal Penn, artist Chuck Close and the entire membership of the President's Committee on the Arts and the Humanities have announced their resignation. A letter dated Friday, and signed by 16 of 17 committee members, cited the "false equivalence" of President Donald Trump's comments about last weekend's "Unite the Right" gathering in Charlottesville, Virginia. Trump has blamed "many sides" for the demonstrations that left an anti-racism activist dead.

Ignoring your hateful rhetoric would have made us complicit in your words and actions," the letter reads. "Supremacy, discrimination, and vitriol are not American values. Your values are not American values. We must be better than this. We are better than this. If this is not clear to you, then we call on you to resign your office, too."
The only member whose name did not appear was Broadway director George C. Wolfe. Representatives for Wolfe at Creative Arts Agency said Friday that he was also resigning and that his name would be added to the letter, which seemed to contain a hidden political message beyond the ones stated openly. The first initials of the letter's six main paragraphs spell out "r-e-s-i-s-t."

"Earlier this month it was decided that President Trump will not renew the executive order for the President's Committee on the Arts and the Humanities (PCAH), which expires later this year," the White House said in a statement attributed to an unnamed spokesperson. "While the committee has done good work in the past, in its current form it simply is not a responsible way to spend American tax dollars."

The statement said the committee "merely redirects funding" from federal cultural agencies that report directly to the president, Congress and taxpayers.

"These cultural agencies do tremendous work and they will continue to engage in these important projects," the statement said.

Earlier this week, two business advisory councils were disbanded as members left in protest.

Friday's exodus heightened the arts world's contentious relationship with Trump. The president struggled to find entertainers, many of whom backed Hillary Clinton in 2016, to perform at his inaugural gala, and Kennedy Center honorees for lifetime achievement have already said they will not attend the White House reception in December.

As president, Trump has also recommended defunding the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities.

The arts and humanities committee was established in 1982 under President Ronald Reagan and, with the first lady serving as honorary chair, works with both government and private agencies in promoting the arts through such programs as Turnaround Arts and Save America's Treasures. Others signing the resignation letter included Pulitzer Prize-winning author Jhumpa Lahiri; and Vicki Kennedy, widow of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy. All were appointed by President Barack Obama.

For what? By which I mean, what's he done to piss Trump off specifically? Trump doesn't care about public opinion or pressure except insofar as it bruises his ego. Was it the interview he did with that website recently (that he claimed wasn't supposed to be an interview)?

If it does have to do with the "interview", then either Bannon's not as smart as he's been made out to be, or he's got some trick up his sleeve. From what I've heard, this might actually be one of the few things Trump could do that would piss the alt-right off; there's at least a faction of them more loyal to Bannon than Trump. If that's true, and Bannon knows it, then it might be him getting rid of Trump more than the other way around.
The "official word" is he resigned wasn't fired but we know he was fired.

Steve Bannon declared war on his enemies hours after being fired by Donald Trump, going back to Breitbart and saying: 'I will crush the opposition.'

'Now I'm free,' he boasted to the Weekly Standard, saying: 'I built a f***ing machine at Breitbart.'

He named his enemies as 'West Wing Democrats' - a reference to Jared Kushner and Gary Cohn - and the Republican establishment

Bannon said Trump presidency he had fought for was 'over' but that he would fight from outside the White House for its agenda

Bannon was removed on the advice of John Kelly and West Wing claimed it was a 'mutual' decision but move underlines retired Marine general's new power

Firing and Bannon's defiant interview marked end of tumultuous week which began with botched response to Charlottesville

Democrats welcomed Bannon exit and will now hope he engages in civil war which could be the boost their party has been so far unable to find

http://www.dailymail...ought-over.html

I'm loving this, it's like a non-stop reality show, the kind you hate but can't get yourself to change the channel.

Jersey Shores on steroids

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 7 hours ago

I'd like to know what's going on in Pence's head. Who knows how far away Trump really is from resignation or even impeachment but Pence must have thought about the chance of becoming President before 2020!? Also, compared to Trump, Pence is widely liked by the Repuclicans and I think many would prefer Pence as POTUS. Could Pence become a "Plan B" for the Reps at some point if Trump keeps digging his hole deeper? Again, not sure how likely all this is but just a quick thought...

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 7 hours ago

It is hard to say what Vice President Mike Pence is really thinking, but Pence is known for being a quite capable politician, and generally capable of avoiding scandals. Notice how he is able to formulate himself precisely when asked about President Trump's response to Charlottesville, wherein he seems to support the President, but not explicitly subscribing to the 'blame on many sides' argument.

Indeed, Mike Pence remains close enough to the President to maintain his trust, but far enough from him that he feel he won't be tainted by Trump if push comes to shove.

Of course, Pence is planning for an election campaign in 2020, and of course he will deny it completely. The eventually is simply too likely. And I doubt Pence will make a move until the time is right, and he will appear to be doing it reluctantly so. In an essence, he will be one of the last to break ranks with the President among the Republicans.

If the people, the GOP in Congress and even possibly the cabinet are coming out publicly against the President - and I mean much harder than now - Pence may eventually give in, forcing an activation of the 25th amendment or an impeachment process.

But right now, Pence is walking a tightrope. He cannot get too far from the President, because then Trump might start distrusting him, but he cannot get too close, because then his future political career is finished.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted An hour ago Edited by The Yokel, An hour ago.

In an essence, he will be one of the last to break ranks with the President among the Republicans.

Makes sense. He is the VP, after all.

Oh dear god, if all the information from this article is correct, Trump must go immediately: http://www.politico....er-chaos-241721

This is not the behavior of a mentally stable guy. I know that we knew that already to some extent, but it's getting worse by the day. There's no telling what this idiot could do if he gets triggered by a wrong person, like Kim Jong-un for instance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users