Photo

Rockstar Games spoiled all other open-world games for me

39 replies to this topic
.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:52 AM Edited by .Emmi, 29 October 2016 - 06:53 AM.

So I figured that Rockstar Games spoiled all other open-world games for me.

Just today I have watched some Watch Dogs 2 gameplay videos on youtube and I think it's definitely interesting, I especially love the setting, wish a future GTA would be set in San Francisco (San Fierro) again.

But the thing is, I won't buy Watch Dogs 2 because I know I wouldn't enjoy it. It's simply not on par with the quality an open-world game from Rockstar Games delivers, it's just not there.

It's the same with Mafia 3 and all other open world games.

Is it just me or is it impossible to play other open-world games after having experienced the best in-class: Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Canis Canem Edit (Bully), ... ?

GTA: technically most impressive open-world game with endless opportunities and unparalleled playgrounds (Liberty City, San Andreas, Los Santos, ...)

RDR: best overall open-world game which redefines the western genre like no other

Bully: most enjoyable and mood-setting open-world game (season changes, Halloween, Christmas, ...)

• Warlord., Algonquin Assassin, Jabalous and 8 others like this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:16 AM Edited by Jabalous, 29 October 2016 - 09:16 AM.

I share you the same sentiments. The production values and standards that R* has set with Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption are so high that literally no other developer can match or reach close to, whether because of lacking the direction and talent, or not having the freedom and the budget that R* is always guaranteed to have. Games based on open worlds with a nonlinear objectives structure are in high quantity nowadays and small to large development firms are capable of producing them as an afterthought. Despite being abundant and almost a saturated genre, R* still pushes these games beyond what other developers can do. The level of details that they include in GTA and RDR are always of an unprecedented level that how lighting looks, shadows are cast and the how dust particles are carried by the wind are as important as the making of the story and other fundamental mechanics like gunplay.

It's no wonder that I personally feel turned off once I start playing a GTA-inspired open world game like Mafia 3. These games may have two or three things that they excel at, but the level of details is missing from other aspects and this makes the overall experience to become unimpressive and missing R*'s Living, Breathing World scent. I remember how even the multiplayer world of RDR was atmospheric and felt live during team deathmatches. With all the sounds of gun firing in the distance and screams of death, you hear the wind while it's lifting dust off the ground, see clouds forming in the sky and blocking sun rays from reaching to the ground and now the Armadillo battlefield changed from sunny to overcast. The point is that everything you see and hear in R*s games blend naturally and this is, in addition to their art style, what gives their world the organic look that other games are missing. 

• Warlord., Spider-Vice, Algonquin Assassin and 2 others like this

ceIozzip
  • ceIozzip

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

rockstar games are great but they're a joke compared to the witcher 3. a shame they went the linear shooter route instead of making the ultimate modern crime rpg.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:57 AM

I think R* fanboyism is getting quite extreme, OP.
This "simply not on par with the quality an open-world game from Rockstar Games delivers" is clearly debatable, and not entirely true.
Apart from world building and details, Rockstar is in no-way on par with the quality of other open-world games. Including story, and content.
Mafia III simply decimates RDR and any HD GTA in those areas.
Just pretty looks aren't the only criteria for judging the quality standards in an open world game. I can list several open world games which are far superior compared to boring open world games that Rockstar has started to deliver since 2008.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:42 PM

I can see where you're coming from OP. I mean I've enjoyed a lot of other open world games, but IMO most of them become pretty forgettable after the new game hype wears off.

Masterpieces like GTA IV and RDR were the only games I played for months after release and I still play them to this day.

I'll probably finish Mafia III and shelve it until something else comes along whilst I'm waiting for RDR2.

.Emmi
  • .Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

I can see where you're coming from OP. I mean I've enjoyed a lot of other open world games, but IMO most of them become pretty forgettable after the new game hype wears off.

Masterpieces like GTA IV and RDR were the only games I played for months after release and I still play them to this day.

I'll probably finish Mafia III and shelve it until something else comes along whilst I'm waiting for RDR2.

Yes, that's a good point I forgot to mention ... you can play any R* open-world game for years and years whereas you get bored from others after finishing the story or even before.

Hell, I still play the 3D era GTA games plus GTA IV, RDR and Bully from time to time ... that's just a testament for how amazing R* open-world games are and their living-breathing-worlds simply deliver a stunning replay value! RDR2 can't come soon enough, haven't played an open-world game since GTA V back in 2013!!!

My next game is The Last Guardian, that fascinates me a lot ... and it's not coming from R*, so I clearly don't just play R* games ... I play the BEST games!

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:14 PM

Apart from world building and details, Rockstar is in no-way on par with the quality of other open-world games. Including story, and content.
Mafia III simply decimates RDR and any HD GTA in those areas.

No, it doesn't, not by a long shot. Whilst I personally found the story of RDR to be superior to M3's, story preference is subjective. Content on the other hand, is not. Looking at the sheer volume and breadth and depth of content available in RDR and a game like GTA V compared to Mafia 3, is really just apples and oranges. The only playable content in Mafia 3 aside from the main quests is a handful of fetch-quest-esque side objectives. Which isn't all that surprising as mafia 3 is a linear game set in an open world, whereas RDR and the GTAs are true open world games. Two different beasts entirely. 

OT: For me personally the only devs that have been able to match, if not surpass Rockstar's open world are CDPR. The Witcher 3 is in a class of its own.

• Spider-Vice, Algonquin Assassin, ROCKSTAR MANIC and 2 others like this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:31 PM Edited by Spider-Vice, 30 October 2016 - 09:32 PM.

And appropriately: http://wccftech.com/...them-of-sexism/

CDPR's main role model is R*, which speaks volumes about each's talent. I don't think anyone can surpass R* in terms of open world design and adventure, other than CDPR which imo have surpassed them with The Witcher 3.

• Deji likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:44 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 17 November 2016 - 04:45 PM.

I used to think like that. However, now I'm not expecting a GTA experience with every open-world game I get. Trying to do so is like fitting a square through a circular hole. That's not to say I don't compare, I do. But when playing other open-world games, you must factor in budget etc. Rockstar are now so tenured when it comes to open-world games and unfortunately for newer IP's trying to compete, we see them go through their infancy and they're never or rarely as realized as a GTA. 

One thing other devs can do and I commend is when they use the same button configuration as GTA. Rockstar raised the bar and I suppose essentially standardized some features and controls. 

• Payne Killer and DimitriFaustin like this

JohnDonovan
  • JohnDonovan

I'm a hairy slag with spunky attitude you cheeky c*nt

• BUSTED!
  • Myanmar

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:54 PM

No, I take games for what they are, I love Rockstar they're by a country mile my favorite developer no one comes close IMO but I can still appreciate other games, for instance, Mafia III has no way near the polish of a GTA V but it still had a superior narrative, soundtrack, & driving in my opinion, so it's not like R* does everything better than it's counterparts. 

• Fuzzknuckles, Mister Pink, UltraGizmo64 and 1 other like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

I try to play every game as though it has no connection to any other games and take them on their merits. 

• Mister Pink and Payne Killer like this

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Van Society
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials Most Improved Driver 2016
    Best Event 2015 [Van Society Meetups]

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

GTA has enhanced other Open World Games for me, there are so many games that expose the shortcomings of GTA...

When playing GTA I get frustrated how how few NPC's you can interactive with, how few buildings you can enter, that you cannot search the contents of cupboards and containers, there is very little role-play element etc.

This is not to say I don't enjoy GTA but for me it is basically a big arcade style game.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:07 PM

a big arcade style game.

I wonder how many people that refer to GTA as "arcade style" or "arcade like" have ever actually played a game in an arcade. If arcade games had anything like the depth of even GTAIII, it'd be a lot more expensive to game in arcades. And waiting your turn could take several hours. 

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Van Society
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:11 PM Edited by JuniorChubb, 18 November 2016 - 01:13 PM.

a big arcade style game.

I wonder how many people that refer to GTA as "arcade style" or "arcade like" have ever actually played a game in an arcade. If arcade games had anything like the depth of even GTAIII, it'd be a lot more expensive to game in arcades. And waiting your turn could take several hours.

Yup, its strange what phrases stick and get applied to modern games. I am sure we don't need to go into the modern definition of 'arcade gaming'
though as you and me both know its pretty twisted from what arcade games actually are/were and often varies from person to person. Maybe 'pick up and play' would have been a better term to use.

I remember playing Bombjack in the arcade, definitely lacks the depth of GTA.
  • Fuzzknuckles likes this

Mas u Sees
  • Mas u Sees

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:35 PM Edited by Mas u Sees, 07 December 2016 - 08:07 PM.

deleted 

• JuniorChubb likes this

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:43 AM

rockstar games are great but they're a joke compared to the witcher 3. a shame they went the linear shooter route instead of making the ultimate modern crime rpg.

I actually couldn't agree with this more.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

the middle of nowhere, the centre of everywhere.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

a big arcade style game.

When i say 'arcade like' to me the opposite is realism. So when i am explaining a game to someone ill use the word arcade when its the total opposite to realism. For exapmle gtav's driving mexhanics are quite arcady because its not very realistic. In a driving game, if i can just turn a corner by smashing into the barrier and just let it drag my car round the corner then i would describe that as an arcade game. Lol a little random, i know..:p
  • JuniorChubb likes this

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Van Society
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:04 PM Edited by JuniorChubb, 22 November 2016 - 07:04 PM.

When i say 'arcade like' to me the opposite is realism. So when i am explaining a game to someone ill use the word arcade when its the total opposite to realism. For exapmle gtav's driving mexhanics are quite arcady because its not very realistic. In a driving game, if i can just turn a corner by smashing into the barrier and just let it drag my car round the corner then i would describe that as an arcade game. Lol a little random, i know.. :p

See, we all have a slightly different interpretation of the phrase...

For me it has a similar definition but being able to 'pick up and play' is the key part for me, which usually does mean scaling back on the realism. The hypocrisy of this is that for us GTA is only 'pick up and play' as most of us have played previous versions and are familiar with the game mechanics, it might not be the same if you have never played it before.

It is definitely not 'pick up and play' for Mrs Chubb, well the driving is but for everything else she has to ask what buttons to press and then has a panic flap when someone shoots at her.

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:24 PM

R* has set a bar in open world games. I ask nothing but quality now, is that a bad thing?

canyonjack
  • canyonjack

NOTM

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:38 AM

I don't think Witcher 3 comes remotely close to any of Rockstar's recent output. Its world is stale, its characters cliched, and I never find myself yearning for exploration the way I do in Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead. Its storytelling and voice acting come off a bit cringeworthy as well. I just don't find it appealing.

CDPR is clearly a talented studio but I don't think they've pushed the medium forward the way Rockstar has (and will hopefully continue to do).

• Jabalous likes this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:25 PM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 23 November 2016 - 07:25 PM.

Subjectively, in terms of your own taste, I can respect that, but Witcher 3 is awesome to me. But I would never compare it to GTA, it's apples and oranges.

Witcher 3 is the best single player, I guess, "high fantasy" or whatever genre it actually fits in - best old world, magical, monster fighting, questing game, hands down. I only have like 10 hours in it and took a break and won't mind starting over when I have the time to again, better than skyrim or anything like it, better than the risens and all of that, but can't compare it to GTA. It may have an open world, but it's not comparable to GTA.

Dragon Age Inquisition is an awesome game, maybe tit for tat it would be tough to say which one I like better between it and Witcher 3, but that's like the only other one standing on a similar level to witcher.

I think here is a good example of how a game might have open playfields, but genre is different enough to not be able to compare with modern settings with cars and technology and radios and stuff.

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, it's true that no games are anywhere near the level of GTA, RDR etc. but I still enjoyed some like Mafia 2 and Far Cry 3. You can't expect perfection from every game developer but there's still some pretty good games out there even if they aren't as great as GTA or RDR.

Corvallis5
  • Corvallis5

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:54 AM

I agree. While there are still a whole lot of amazing open world games, most of them just feel so empty and boring with nothing to do. Though I don't think you'd feel much differently about those games if you hadn't played R* games. Nowadays, most games are just rushed and underdeveloped in general.

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:13 AM Edited by Raj Brunner, 15 December 2016 - 03:15 AM.

how about i kick you in the shins

I hate to say this, but most OWG these days are just blend. I don't if know Rockstar raised the bar too high or if game developers have just gotten lazy.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

anti-pasto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:50 AM

The Witcher 3 is one of the most boring games ever made. It doesn't hold a candle to anything Rockstar has ever released. Bland story, terrible sleep inducing combat, tiny zones with LONG loading screens (people who say TW3 is open world have no f*cking clue). It was just so overhyped (especially by the PC fanboys) that it was impossible for it to deliver what people were expecting. Funnily enough, the PC community was the community that was let down in the end. Makes you think.

The only non-Rockstar game I've played that has had the same level of immersion is Fallout 2. New Vegas a close second (which is a true open world RPG as opposed to The Witcher). So Black Isle Studios and Obsidian Entertainment are the only two studios that I like as much as Rockstar.

Watch Dogs 1 sucked, Watch Dogs 2 will too. Ubisoft can't make a game to save their lives.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

The Witcher 3 is one of the most boring games ever made. It doesn't hold a candle to anything Rockstar has ever released. Bland story, terrible sleep inducing combat, tiny zones with LONG loading screens (people who say TW3 is open world have no f*cking clue). It was just so overhyped (especially by the PC fanboys) that it was impossible for it to deliver what people were expecting. Funnily enough, the PC community was the community that was let down in the end. Makes you think..

The Witcher 3 was one of those games I bought on impulse because of what other people were saying about it. It was more of a curiosity thing I guess.

The game wasn't too bad IMO, but like you said it doesn't come close to anything R* have made. As much as GTA V disappointed me it was still fun to an extent and atleast I finished it.

I didn't even get a 1/2 of the way through The Witcher 3 before giving up and haven't touched it since last year.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

I really enjoyed fallout 4 .

Great quality game, but I definitely see your point

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:19 AM

As I predicted I shelved Mafia III, but I didn't even bother finishing it. I always suspected it was one of those games that once the new game smell wore off it'd be forgotten about. Oh well.

Looks like Assassin's Creed: Syndicate remains the last non-R* OWG I bothered to finish.

RDR2 can't come soon enough.

KertFaceMan
  • KertFaceMan

i am born in the olympics.

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

Same here, I can't play any other open world game without uninstalling it.
I still play GTA:SA to this day.

Dark Alessa
  • Dark Alessa

Player Hater

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Yep. I also think that Rockstar has risen the rod since many years regarding the open world games. Mafia 2 seemed to me just ok but very very far from any of GTA game for example, and it is impossible not to avoid comparison. And that makes me to be much less interested in trying Mafia III (which I won't). The only open world game that I thoroughly enjoyed (beside the Rockstar games) and I still have it installed on my PC is Skyrim, but it is an exception.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users