Photo

Anyone hoping it's NOT Dutch's gang?

55 replies to this topic
NikosUncle
  • NikosUncle

Prankster

• Members

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:55 AM

Even though it will be cool seeing the story of John with his old gang i'd still rather it be a new gang with new characters. I mean it will be hard to respect Dutch and Bill etc because we know they'll end up being pricks that we hate then eventually kill in RDR1.
  • saintsrow, Luk38644, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 10 others like this

Ya Boy Punk Fan
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan

Rest easy, Chester.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:09 AM

Not me. I miss Marston.

• Original Light, Perez84, DIEXEL and 4 others like this

OfficialTwiggz
  • OfficialTwiggz

Typical Assh*le

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:23 AM

Yeah honestly to see a story we already know how it's gonna plan out kind of ruins the plot for me.

I'd prefer something and someone newer.
  • saintsrow, PabtheFab, THE DRAGOON and 4 others like this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:52 AM

I wouldn't mind a story that starts off with the gang but then goes a separate way, it would be cool to see Mr. Marston again...

...Even though we know how his life ended ;(
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan likes this

jedijosh920
  • jedijosh920

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:55 AM

Knowing Rockstar, we will probably see John or Jack somewhere in the game as an easter egg or maybe even a supporting character. In the trailer, they showed Michael and Trevor in the stagecoach.

Darkshadows
  • Darkshadows

Boring guy

• Members
  • Colombia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:56 AM

they showed Michael and Trevor in the stagecoach.

Wait, what?

• THE DRAGOON, Shadowfennekin, Pastry and 3 others like this

HBKingJosh
  • HBKingJosh

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

Wait, what?

Easter egg in the trailer in the stage coach

OfficialTwiggz
  • OfficialTwiggz

Typical Assh*le

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

Wait, what?

Easter egg in the trailer in the stage coach

Highly doubt that was them.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

Yeah honestly to see a story we already know how it's gonna plan out kind of ruins the plot for me.

I'd prefer something and someone newer.

More like a pre-kill than a prequel.  :p

I agree, we need new characters and a different story.  There are a million classic western movies out there for Rockstar to rip off :p be inspired by.  They only used about 4 or 5 for RDR, so there's still plenty of material.  

• ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:08 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 25 October 2016 - 11:12 AM.

We only seen the bad side of Dutch and Bill Williamson. As described on the Wiki they would have been sort of "idealistic rogues" robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. We're not given the chance to like them, obviously. However in RDR2 we might see their idealistic side, their lovable roguishness. This may make RDR seem even more dramatic and add even further weight to the story. Because while we may have had to kill those guys, remember we were blackmailed to do it. And while John Marston left that life, he had to do it if he wanted to be with Abigail. Those two leaving that circle of people may have caused offence. It would have caused tensions and the law people blackmailing Marston to to hunt down his previous gang is a genius idea on their side. 

I think exploring that gang is a marvelous idea. It will change our sentiments on the original RDRedemption especially if we find out some things like one of them saving Marston's life in the past or acts of kindness, brotherhood and comradery.  It wont make us feel bad if they turn out to the the not too bad guys because we can always take comfort in the fact that Marston never had a choice. 

And you've no idea what angle they'll chose to tell the story.It will involve the gang possibly but you don't know who you are playing as, what missions will occur and how the ending will happen. There's more to be revealed. We only know Marston's version of events. Even at that there's more to know. 

• Duxfever, Nah Tso Gud, Perez84 and 6 others like this

Rascalov
  • Rascalov

We must obey the rules of the game.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

I have said it before that would have been better as DLC, John & the gang's story was already explained throughout the narrative of the original somewhat thoroughly, a direct prequel would just fill in some more blanks which are not needed.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:51 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 25 October 2016 - 02:52 PM.

Nothing is needed. RDR2 isn't needed. But it will be made because it's fun and we enjoy it. The story may have been explained but it's more like hearing about it from someone else and never experiencing it, playing it. I'm offering reasons why it could happen plausibly. I think you just don't want it. I mean it's like reading the sypnoisis of a film and not going to see it because you know what it's about. You can't surely know everything and seeing the film certainly wont be just filling in the gaps of the description you just read.

I'm actually indifferent. If it's a game that doesn't have the gang, I'm happy. If it's  a whole new story with loose ties to RDR1, I'm fine with it. If it's focuses on Dutch's gang, I'll be curious to see that story. 

• Nah Tso Gud, ClaudeSpeed1911, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:52 PM

Count me in and it's not because I might hate Marston or love Williamson and all that stuff about changing my perspective on Redemption's story, but because I much prefer a new set of characters with a story that has no direct ties to the original Redemption game.

kietotheworld
  • kietotheworld

Hater Player

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

If they're in it I hope they're in the role of secondary antagonists, much like how Claude was in San Andreas.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

Maybe its the gang turn at "Redemption"?

We only saw them through the eyes of Marston but even then I never got the feeling he wanted to kill any of them. 

• Mister Pink, UltraGizmo64 and Dream-_-Traveler like this

Chekoloco
  • Chekoloco

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

Maybe the voice we hear on the trailer is a younger Uncle....

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

Maybe its the gang turn at "Redemption"?

We only saw them through the eyes of Marston but even then I never got the feeling he wanted to kill any of them. 

Exactly. 

RDR2 may or may not explore what drew Marston to them in the first place. Was one of them a father-figure to Marston? Were they like a band of brothers? There's so many angles, so many things to be explored. 

• ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

lessthan3
  • lessthan3

Intensity In Ten Cities

• Members

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:53 AM Edited by lessthan3, 26 October 2016 - 10:54 AM.

My little brother. He hates prequels, because he's oversensitive when it comes to spoilers. He's playing DA:I right now because he finally got a PC that can handle it, and thinking that after playing for 20 hours he'd be further along in the game, when he asked me where Josephine was sitting because he couldn't find her and I said: "Go through the door to the left of the throne." he got all pissy because I spoiled that there's a throne in the game.

So even if he doesn't know what's going to happen in the game, having played RDR he knows that whatever happens, Marston, Abigail, Dutch, Bill Williamson, and Javier Escuela will survive, 100% guaranteed. And that kills the tension for him. It lowers the stakes.

I don't really have a problem with it, but I can understand that way of looking at it. If it isn't Dutch's gang it opens up the story for more different outcomes. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

• Mister Pink and UltraGizmo64 like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:15 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 26 October 2016 - 11:17 AM.

So for your brother tension is boiled down to just a matter of life and death for him?   :D We also wont know what other characters that will be introduced in to RDR, characters we will love, peripheral characters we will love and hate. There'll be death, tension all throughout. Just because Marston and Abigail will survive at the end of RDR2 (obviously speaking hypothetically) we know Marston's eventual fate etc. He's might be focusing too much on Marston whereas I would imagine RDR2 focusing on the life in which Marston came from. Big difference. 

I think your bro sees prequels in the wrong way. It's the journey, not the destinations :p  For me the fun in a prequel is knowing an extraordinary person in an extraordinary situation and learning or experiencing how/why/where they came from. The environment which led to the circumstances of the what we first learned, like the Godfather II or Batman Begins. 

I'm just trying to keep an open mind. I think even if it is a prequel, it's not going to centre solely around Marston. We'll come across him and he might be there but will follow someone else's journey, someone else we will love and empathise with. It will give us an insight in to the world of John Marston without making the game about Marston. It will be our journey with whatever new character we hopefully play with. 

Again, I'm not pushed if it is a prequel or not. I'm sure I'll be happy either way. Point of me defending the idea of it being Dutch's gang is to hopefully open people's mind to the idea. Some times when imagining things we don't see all angles and make certain assumptions.  

• ClaudeSpeed1911, UltraGizmo64, Dream-_-Traveler and 1 other like this

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

I'm too hyped to even care :)

• The Deadite likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:45 PM

The prospect of learning more about John's past is certainly very appealing, but as with GTA games, I'd rather a new experience, new story and new characters every time. 

• Mister Pink and BurnettVice like this

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:02 PM Edited by Frantz Fuchs, 26 October 2016 - 03:09 PM.

I'd like to see the part where the gang left Marston to die. Will be interesting.

Or even more interesting; playing as someone from a rival gang, and you are the one who shoots Marston and see the rest of his gang run away and leave him to die.

• Mister Pink, Meekail and UltraGizmo64 like this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

Not me. I miss Marston.

i see a lot of people say this, but you don't seem to realize it would be a different Marston, at least the first half of the game would be. you would see a darker more evil Marston

• UltraGizmo64 and Payne Killer like this

blitz
  • blitz

lit

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Peru
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

Honestly, I want a completely different story. With different characters, and a different location.

• feckyerlife likes this

Switch
  • Switch

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Iraq

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:55 PM Edited by Switch__, 26 October 2016 - 09:56 PM.

I want it to be Dutch... :whistle:

• Ya Boy Punk Fan likes this

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:40 AM

I'm kinda scared it is a prequel, prequel's usually suck. And I wouldn't want the Red Dead franchise ruined like that.

I wouldn't mind however IF the new protag is NOT John Marston and John, Javier, Bill, and Dutch are just supporting characters to fill in some blanks. But also let us explore new characters and a new story and not experience what we know is going to happen.

INB4 Uncle looks the exact same as he does in RDR. Cause he's always been old. :p

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:27 AM

I don't mind the focus being on Dutch's gang, but I want a completely new protagonist.

Ya Boy Punk Fan
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan

Rest easy, Chester.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:41 AM

Not me. I miss Marston.

i see a lot of people say this, but you don't seem to realize it would be a different Marston, at least the first half of the game would be. you would see a darker more evil Marston

Really? No way.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

I hope it's not the old gang because it will destroy suspense in the story line - there are too many characters who'd have to be pivotal to events that we'd know the fate of already.

• JohnDonovan likes this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

I also don't see the novelty of going back to investigate the past of Dutch and his gang. Redemption had this part of the past explained enough and we all knew that Marston rode with his old friends, robbed banks, trains, terrorized people and took money from the rich and gave it to the poor. It was also explained how Marston retired from his past life after he was shot in a failed robbery. It was all there and it was even shown and recited again in the short film captured from the game and released by R*.

We basically know the story of how the gang rode together to Marston getting shot, retiring and then moving with his life forward to building a ranch for his family. What's still there to tell? Is there anything worth knowing in the past than what we already know? This is why I'm excluding the possibility of returning to the events that preceded Redemption. 

• UltraGizmo64 and BretMaverick777 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users