Why do people hate online?

202 replies to this topic
Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

If it ain't fix it, don't broke it

• Members
  • Senegal

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Let me tell you how boring and lonely sp is...

Nothing is better then a world where you're ALL ALONE WITH FAKE CHARACTERS WITH PREDICTABLE QUOTES TO ACTIONS.

Me :"Oh my random pedestrian, I would love to team up with you!"

NPC: "You be good now ya hear?"

Me: "sooo you dont wanna team up?"

NPC : "Like i tell the ladies, look but dont touch"

Me: "I just wanted a companion..."

NPC: Them beavets are really hairy, I think I need to shave them..."

Me: "for f*cks sake..."

You wouldn't be having fake conversations with NPCs if the game had enough content.

• saintsrow, jdv95, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 3 others like this

gtaoplayer
  • gtaoplayer

excommunicado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:21 PM

I'm looking forward to its single player more than online. Just like the first one. I love the online part of it and everything but I'm really looking forward to a good story and great gameplay filled with tons of action

Anhita
  • Anhita

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:25 PM Edited by Anhita, 04 January 2017 - 01:28 PM.

Remember when people actively hated the idea of DLC?

Pepperidge farm remembers

• Chinese Takeout and LincolnClay like this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

"Do, or do not. There is no try." <(-_-)>

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

With a name like Smuckers, your horse armor better be f*cking awesome!

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Keep in mind these forums only represent like 5-10% of the GTA/RDR fanbase and not even all of us hate online. The majority of players love online otherwise GTA Online wouldn't be such a huge success.

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

Keep in mind these forums only represent like 5-10% of the GTA/RDR fanbase and not even all of us hate online. The majority of players love online otherwise GTA Online wouldn't be such a huge success.

GTA V sold roughly 50 million copies. It's been estimated that 8 million players play Online weekly. Where did the other 43 million people go?

Besides, RDR multiplayer is better if only because money management isn't a thing and griefing isn't as bad. I'd rather get griefed by some cowpoke with a Winchester than a monkey mask guy in orange underwear driving a chrome Zentorno with sticky bombs.

• Mister Pink, saintsrow, Jabalous and 1 other like this

Bare
  • Bare

mcr is red

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:30 AM

GTA V sold roughly 50 million copies. It's been estimated that 8 million players play Online weekly. Where did the other 43 million people go?

Besides, RDR multiplayer is better if only because money management isn't a thing and griefing isn't as bad. I'd rather get griefed by some cowpoke with a Winchester than a monkey mask guy in orange underwear driving a chrome Zentorno with sticky bombs.

I'm pretty sure all games lose a high percentage of players when they've been out for 3 years... Why don't you check how many people played in late 2013 and early-mid 2014?

Kids get the game when it comes out and it's the cool new thing then a few months later they're bored of it and on to whatever new game came out and only the die hard fans who really like the game stay, it has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Huntèr civil rights activist

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:12 AM

In my own way, I kind of still do.

Well, that would be generalizing a little, but I don't like it when said DLC is just something that was clearly cut from the original game (as is the case with a ton of DLC). The goal should always be to release a game with all of it that possibly can be there, in my opinion.

DLC like GTA IV had, or RDR is better in my opinion - stuff that's big and significant, and not just some vehicle or mission or whatever that was cut off the original game.

• anthony and UnknownDivision like this

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:04 PM Edited by D9fred95, 08 January 2017 - 06:07 PM.

I'm pretty sure all games lose a high percentage of players when they've been out for 3 years... Why don't you check how many people played in late 2013 and early-mid 2014?

Kids get the game when it comes out and it's the cool new thing then a few months later they're bored of it and on to whatever new game came out and only the die hard fans who really like the game stay, it has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

Only the die hard fans stay? Then why is everyone still physically incapable of finishing Heists without dying five times? I could barely finish the lowrider missions because apparently doing a drive by is too hard for people in a game based around killing. These aren't low level mind you, they're level 200+ players and they cannot do simple Heist/Lowrider missions. I highly doubt that "die hard" players would fail this much at killing in a game based on killing.

Anyone that has been around to be declared a die hard player tends to be running around lobbies griefing others. Only explanation for why a level 400 would be wearing military gear tossing sticky bombs out of their Insurgent around the lobby. 

Anyway, Online was good at first but it's gone downhill recently. Prices for items are warped beyond reason and the game is getting way too unstable. It crashes non stop and it frequently fails to save your progress. This is four years later mind you, these should be non issues by now.

• Mister Pink likes this

Urban Legends
  • Urban Legends

Innocent Hood

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

Internet connections have improved so much since the last RDR was released. That was pretty much the extent of my issue for online. Some models are a little shaky but Rockstar has a great opportunity here. Sure they'll make a billion dollars but hopefully the game is enjoyable enough

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

I love both modes. But first 3 months of RDR 2 i just want to enjoy single player.

IG_
  • IG_

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Abkhazia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:56 PM Edited by IG_, 12 January 2017 - 01:58 PM.

People are crying that the inherently useless vehicles for free roam only is expensive... while all the actual fun online activities in the game can be done for free or a reasonable amount of money.

Maybe I can't own the Coil Voltic... but I can do all the special vehicle missions with the Import/Export DLC for free.
And the content for free roam isn't even that expensive... sure there are crazy expensive vehicles and safehouses... but there are nearly identical vehicles and safehouses that can be bought for cheaper.

You can buy a super car for 2 million... or you can buy a performance wise nearly identical super car for 800k.
You can buy a high end apartment for 1.5 mil... or you can buy a functionally identical apartment with an identical interor for 250k.

Meanwhile you can do Heists for free, you can do Stunt races for free, you can do adversary modes for free, you can do the Import/Export vehicle sourcing for free with a friend. You can enjoy these actually fun modes and earn money.

Plus with the new updates Rockstar publishes more expensive vehicles... but they also give you the means to make more money. With Finance and Felony and Import/Export, making money is easy easy once you get past the slightly high fixed cost (Around 3 million to acquire the office, warehouse and vehicle garage). I can easily make a million in a day by playing for 3 hours or so.

But for whatever reason, people always think they need to buy and own everything. Whenever a new update is released, people add up all the costs of all the new stuff and then complain how expensive it is... really? Who said you had to buy all the new vehicles?

I'm not saying there aren't issues with GTA Online, because there are. But the price of the content in GTA Online is hardly an issue.

My problem with GTA Online is that its content is very fragmented and this can be very confusing for new players.
Half of the modes are now essentially useless and no one plays them anymore. GTA Online revolves around the new DLCs for making money, Heists, Races, and adversary modes... all the other modes are either a clutter or a relic from the early days of GTA Online.
So while this is not really a burden for me because I know which modes are active, fun, and give good money... a new player will be overwhelmed by all these modes that can turn out to be boring and useless or a blast to play. 

• DexPac likes this

Crashbandicoot2
  • Crashbandicoot2

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:22 PM Edited by Crashbandicoot2, 4 weeks ago.

I don't hate online. Sure i play it from time to time but I prefer single player more. I barely play the online multiplayer(except for red dead, gta 4,blops2, and gta online) of games and on the 360 i even bought the COD games just for their single player(or zombies).

xXxKAMIKAZExXx
  • xXxKAMIKAZExXx

Stunt Pilot

• Members
  • England

Posted 4 weeks ago

I don't hate GTA Online, but there's little things Rockstar could add that would massively improve the game. The most important thing is preferences. In GTA IV you could enable or disable friendly fire and police. Such a tiny feature made freeroam and the community as a whole brilliant. Those who wanted to PVP did so competitively in their lobbies, whereas those who wanted to interact and have fun with random players also had their lobbies. I use to always join friendly lobbies with police enabled, then team up with everyone and have a huge war with the police. This isn't possible in GTA V along with other events like races, car meets and stunt courses; this has halfened the replayability for me and many other players, all because of a tiny missing feature.

Most people say that GTA Online has the worst player base (endless killing and trolling) and I believe the lack of preferences is the main reason. Notice how most funny YouTube videos are recorded in invite only sessions? I really hope Rockstar have learnt from this and include then in RDR2.

Jackyboy1222
  • Jackyboy1222

Dank Memer ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I don't mind online, the only thing that bugs me about it are the overpowered weapons that are without a doubt are gonna be used and abused immediately. 

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

ToxicSoul
  • ToxicSoul

Haithar!

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago

The answer is GTA V, just look how poor singleplayer mode looks in comprasion with Online, Online should be just an additional mode, story mode in GTA V looks a lot worse than GTA IV's singleplayer, after completing all the missions there's nothing to do in the city, except upgrading cars again and again, also city looks just.. empty, we cannot enter into any building, even stupid Burger Shot, just a strip club and couple of 24/7 shops, now compare it to freemode from GTA Online, a lot of mansions to buy etc.

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I don't hate online, I started playing RDR's online mode quite late but I had a great time playing it. It was easy to pick up and play but had enough depth to keep you interested, more importantly however it wasn't prioritised over the single player mode. Imo Gtao was prioritised over Gta V single player and as such the game suffered for that, the fact that this could happen to RDR 2 makes me wary of the online mode.

Rockstar know that the potential for RDR2's online mode is big, maybe big enough to be another major cash cow similar to Gtao online. RDR is not a brand name as big as Gta but it's still pretty big. As Gtao is Rockstars most recent online offering I think it's fair to assume that Gtao could possibly be the template for RDR2's online mode.

I'm not a big fan of Gtao, I don't want RDR2's online to be more of the same. Lots of people enjoy gtao and that's cool, that's their opinion and I respect it but it's just not for me. I'd like to see a return to the more streamlined online modes of RDR and Gta IV.

DexPac
  • DexPac

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I don't hate online, I just lose motivation pretty quickly without a proper story. With any open world game I tend to finish the story and then just grind away at some of the collectibles/side missions until I'm bored and either move on to another game or run through the story again. GTA Online is just an enhanced/extended version of that post game grind to me.

UnknownDivision
  • UnknownDivision

Dont mess

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think the biggest reason is micro transactions and greed from Rockstar (well that's my issue anyway). Its clear that once they found out they could make a lot of money by just releasing online DLCs that didn't cost that much to make, they milked it like a cash cow and still are. Everyone who liked Rockstar that I know was so f*cking stoked for a story DLC in GTA 5, but like I said they figured they could just release a lot of sh*tty online DLCs as opposed to good story DLCs. Its a classic case of quality over quantity, having a lot of the same bland thing doesn't always make it better, id rather wait 2 years for a good expensive story DLC than wait 2 months for a sh*tty online DLC that's free.

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

DexPac
  • DexPac

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't understand that mentality. I understand being disappointed that we didn't get more story content for GTA V but the idea that Rockstar is a greedy villain for not giving us more is ridiculous.

The worst part is that Rockstar gave us something awesome in the GTA IV DLC's that they didn't need to. Additional content worth paying for. And when they didn't do it again they're suddenly awful people.

This is why people so often don't do more than they're expected to. Because if they ever do anything less than that afterwards they're looked at as "less than". Even if what they're doing is ten times better than what everyone else is doing.
  • saintsrow likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't understand that mentality. I understand being disappointed that we didn't get more story content for GTA V but the idea that Rockstar is a greedy villain for not giving us more is ridiculous.

The worst part is that Rockstar gave us something awesome in the GTA IV DLC's that they didn't need to. Additional content worth paying for. And when they didn't do it again they're suddenly awful people.

This is why people so often don't do more than they're expected to. Because if they ever do anything less than that afterwards they're looked at as "less than". Even if what they're doing is ten times better than what everyone else is doing.

Well, see, this is the whole point.  The artists and devs created an absolutely incredible virtual world, a masterpiece of design, through years of hard work and inspiration.  The scale and detail, the dynamics and the lighting and the weather, and the tender loving care put into the foundation of the game are noble, laudable.

The amount of work going into the world design seems like 10x the work that Rockstar put into the story.  This game world deserves so much more.  There should be a couple of story DLCs that, in fact, surpass the original, since the writers have more time to come up with a deeper story, better characters, and generally start out further up the learning curve.  

You would think that real storytellers, real creatives, would consider it professional pride, and a fantastic opportunity, to try to build a masterpiece of a story, pushing up to the level of epic scriptwriting and production for blockbuster movies.  The budget, and the gross reciepts, are right up there with the big movies, so there's no excuse.  You would think that they would want to design a meaningful, symbolic story world, to leverage all that detail in the virtual world.  But noooooo...

Instead, the gravy train is Online, just give 'em guns and let the PvP roll.

• Jabalous and Neon_Dreaming like this

dbz_master_SA_4life
  • dbz_master_SA_4life

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by dbz_master_SA_4life, 3 weeks ago.

Online was absolutely garbage that I haven't returned to it in more than 3 years and the single player content itself wasn't as good as GTA IV. 

One of the reasons why I'm lowering my expectations for RDR2, I'm not expecting it to be as good or better than Red Dead Redemption, not after Garbage V.

• saintsrow likes this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by TheHumanIsland, 2 weeks ago.

People are acting as if the story mode lacked in some way...it didn't...if there was no online you wouldn't know the difference.

Exactly

bullsh*t. plenty of people pretty much act as if Online does not exist and notice that GTA V was smaller than any other entry in the series in terms of SP campaign.

it has a few big missions, like each heist climax but the TRUTH is that it pretends to have 69 campaign missions when 3 or 4 of each heist, which count as one each of those 69 missions are stupid f*cking chores like "buy a mask" - that's a mission! "buy the work suits" is a MISSION ON ITS OWN.

GTA V really only has like 45 missions, and most of those are short, too.

Seriously, it was a small ass game and Online is where the majority of things to do was, and San Andreas had 90+ missions not including all the side quests...

GTA V was a let down, pure and simple.

YES, it was a good game.

NO, it did NOT stand up to what the series gave in the past. It was a smaller, cheaper experience because of how many missions weren't even really missions. Heist Setups should not have been missions, and neither should the heists themselves, really. The cheap ass way all those little chores and tasks counted as missions was stupid as sh*t.

What are you talking about? First of all, the map was obviously bigger than any previous Rockstar game. Maybe not bigger than GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption and San Andreas big, but still big. Second of all, the game clearly was more detailed than San andreas.

Thirdly the game was LONGER than GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption. Proof:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=4064 

https://howlongtobea...ame.php?id=7676

https://howlongtobea...ame.php?id=4062

And the game was almost as long as San Andreas:

https://howlongtobea...ame.php?id=4073.

My point is, I'm tired of people forgetting about how rich the singleplayer of GTA V really was. People pretend like it's call of duty singleplayer or some sh*t. Pisses me off. 

did you even click your own links?! Your links only lead to the shorter DLC game. Not the base GTA IV game ;) :p If my memory serves me, I finished that in 26 hours?! Maybe 23? Not sure. Probably 23 because of illuminati and wizards. But how many taxi cabs did I use? You can't prove anything with that. Because of that variable :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users