Photo

Why do people hate online?

202 replies to this topic
NikosUncle
  • NikosUncle

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:38 AM

Online in both rdr1 and gtav were amazing. I saw in the hype thread people were actually annoyed how the synopsis thing mentioned online. Seriously wtf is that about?
  • Jimmarn and P.T. like this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:52 AM

Why do people hate online?

Is this a trick question?  

• anthony, Chekoloco, Doland J. Trump and 22 others like this

Hunter
  • Hunter

Hunter civil rights activist

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:05 AM

Lack of dedicated servers, emphasis on microtransactions, neglect towards single player, etc.

Not so much that people are against online - more that they're against some of the things that online had last time.

I had a great time with RDR1's online mode anyway. But back then everything had its fair share.

• GutterMouthPWG, saintsrow, HungryDingo and 31 others like this

Wolfsbane Franklin
  • Wolfsbane Franklin

Jizzle in the movie bizzle

• Members
  • Papua-New-Guinea

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:24 AM

Online sucks. R* should stop copying EA with this online bullsh*t and improve on SP or I am not buying a R* game ever.
  • PkUnzipper, oglocindahouse and AUScowboy like this

KingofVenturas
  • KingofVenturas

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:25 AM

Mainly due to much less time being spent on single player,  the fact that online shark cards sell well enough so Rockstar can delay their next game a year or 2. I wonder if that was their plan, I found it strange that there wasn't a season pass for DLC at the beginning.

• saintsrow, HungryDingo, PkUnzipper and 1 other like this

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:27 AM

I dont. I just dont want it being R*s main priority again

• saintsrow, HungryDingo, Gtaman_92 and 11 others like this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

Just another forumer...don't mind me...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:38 AM

It should be balanced so that the story gets attention, but as does the online mode for those interested. As for why people hate online, I've always been angry at the people in multiplayer rather than the multiplayer itself. I run into so many griefers and trolls in so many online games it's not funny.
  • saintsrow, -Kaas, temi4328 and 4 others like this

HungryDingo
  • HungryDingo

Grove ST 4 Life

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:15 AM Edited by HungryDingo, 23 October 2016 - 02:25 AM.

Lack of dedicated servers, emphasis on microtransactions, neglect towards single player, etc.

Not so much that people are against online - more that they're against some of the things that online had last time.

I had a great time with RDR1's online mode anyway. But back then everything had its fair share.

Also plenty of hackers that ruin the experience for everyone else, i honestly wan't single player to have the most focus so it will have the most features and content, online is just not enjoyable to me with all of these issues said in this thread, it's a pretty dreadful experience. Single player has none of these problems for me. Also no little kids.

• PkUnzipper, 609_uu, Hunter and 1 other like this

Achlys
  • Achlys

Penis Flytrap

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:20 AM

I hate it because it's infested with squeakers...
  • TCA, Payne Killer, Brian Grey and 2 others like this

rodrich266
  • rodrich266

Shut up, sit down, relax

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:39 AM

Well I think it's not because the online mode will be crap or something similar, but because R* completely abandoned Single Player content on GTAV despite having said themselves that there was going to be SP DLC and that leads many of us to believe RDR2's single player is going to be forgotten. I think the same happened with Max Payne 3.

I'm honestly hoping that Single Player will still be the main focus because Rockstar has some amazing single player experiences, even though GTA Online is my favorite game in the genre, I can't help but wonder what goodness an SP DLC would've done to GTAV's story since I felt it was lacking something.

Best case scenario, the whole single player experience on Red Dead Redemption 2 will be as great as the first Red Dead Redemption and will not be needing extra content (maybe some guns or mounts that aren't really relevant, that's normal). Otherwise, they could be focusing on Red Dead Online and it could affect the SP experience, but let's hope not.

Either way, at least I won't have to worry about jet griefers. Granted, griefing will be present, but I'm sure it won't be as bad as the jet situation in LS and Blaine County!
  • Matty, DIEXEL, UltraGizmo64 and 1 other like this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:39 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 23 October 2016 - 03:44 AM.

Rockstar's reason for people to love them is great, epic single player campaigns. GTA IV felt less epic than SA, and V pales in comparison to both of them. 

For me, GTAOnline is just fun to race in once in a great while, and that wears out quickly.

I like multiplayer gaming, but that is not what I play Rockstar games for.

San Andreas was the best game they ever made. VC and III were excellent, so was IV, and V was, too, but none of them felt as good as SA. As epic. As fleshed out. this was okay for III then VC because they got bigger and led up to the biggest most complete experience in SA. IV was okay because it was their first nextgen (at the time) gta, and it was a wonderful successor to III. There hasn't yet been a VC successor, and V, pretty it may be, does not succeed SA.

I would prefer Rockstar return to single player centric gameplay for future open world titles from them, but that all depends on which segments do better, and unfortunately, too many people didn't even finish GTA V, and went straight to Online part way through the first part of the game - you can fact check this just by looking at the achievement stats.

Everyone gets certain achievements, just by playing the story. Go on your PS4 or Xbox1 or Steam and look at the stats for who has these automatically attained achievements - less than half of people have them.

Much like how CoD is not CoD anymore, and that space is ripe for a "spiritual modern warfare 2 successor", the same is true about Rockstar's games at this point, including GTA - someone to do what people love and buy the games for, because rockstar just really isn't doing that at this point in time. We feel let down, it'll probably take someone else to lift up the open world crime crowd, and none of the competition that currently exists comes even close to V. So, underwhelming as it was, it worked, and we can only "hope" for something SP better than SA one day from them, but so far, NOTHING has come close.

I realize RDR is not GTA, but people know what to expect from any game based on what comes out before it with Rockstar, and the people who are against online know that RDR is just going to be a horses-instead-of-cars GTAOnline with train heists instead of humane labs.

It's boring for many, but not enough to send the message. The "online noobs", as they pretty much are, and know not much about the older games, and so on, they are who they pander to now. They want to extend the life of the game, and as few people that finish it shows, SP won't live long enough for the kind of money they need to and seek to make. It really never did. SO what we love about it, those of us who loved those epic single player experiences, just isn't the main event anymore. It's glorified tutorials.

• saintsrow, torresno9, HungryDingo and 6 others like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:01 AM

I am having a hard time believing that OP is actually asking such a question. Why such a simple thing is so complex to understand?
I'd understand if people find the multiplayer aspect a lot appealing in the current line of GTA releases because the SP experiences are mediocre in HD Era, and its the multiplayer ( and mods ) that has mainly kept these games alive compared to 3D GTA's which are still popular for their solid SP experiences.
So, I don't really blame those who have a lot of fun playing Online because the developers have worked hard and put more efforts in making it better than SP.
But really, why it can be hard for you to understand the SP fans position and their strong opinions about Online?
There are some very important reasons:-
- A lot of the content released for Online aren't available in SP, why? Its clear they are not interested in making it available for SP, again why? Because of shark cards, simple as that. The in-game economy of SP can't be regulated like they do in MP for making 700 million dollars through microtransactions.
- History speaks for itself. Whenever such practices of microtransaction and monetization are introduced in games which are traditionally single player franchises, the issue of effectively balancing both modes of gameplay have been disappointing often than not. Currently, the situation isn't very clear and expect the time to pass more to understand how letting such microtransaction-infested based design to operate for making money would result in dire consequences for many SP fans in future.
A good example of such a practice is Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

Matty
  • Matty

Bounty Hunter

• Australia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:28 AM

I don't hate online, per se. I hate that, in the case of GTA V at least, it sucked out focus from the single-player and hope that the same doesn't happen with RDR2.

• joshua969, HungryDingo, Chekoloco and 11 others like this

LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

Just another forumer...don't mind me...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:32 AM

I don't hate online, per se. I hate that, in the case of GTA V at least, it sucked out focus from the single-player and hope that the same doesn't happen with RDR2.

I was waiting for that story DLC, but it never arrived. Last thing I want is that happening to RDR 2. They're turning into CoD otherwise (heavy focus on multiplayer, with no attention to the barely put together story).
  • Matty, PhillBellic and 609_uu like this

Gabriela_L
  • Gabriela_L

rebel girl

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:54 AM Edited by Gabriela_L, 23 October 2016 - 08:03 AM.

Some people have such unrealistic ideas regarding the way enterprises work... they don't do what's the best for YOU, they do what is gonna sell. And GTA Online makes them a lot of money, which in my opinion is good because we get free DLCs for Online and they might spend a good portion of their earnings in their next projects, making even better games because of their growing budget. That said, I love the idea of RDR2 Online. Interacting with NPCs gets old for me after there is no mission left to do, so I for me Online extends the game's life. 

People who are saying Online shouldn't be a thing are wasting their time and not thinking rationally, because an enterprise would never abandon their gold mine like that, because someone threats of never buying their game again. Guess what, for every 5 clients they lose, they get 200 new ones, because that's what the market wants, gaming is evolving, some people like it or not. 

• Blasterman4EVER, Alarming and DoucheBagForum like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

If GTA Online is the best thing Rockstar can do when it comes to making multiplayer games, then it's more than logical that people would have disdain for Online.

Not only does every update break connection stability and gameplay quality, they gradually overprice everything to coax people into buying sharks as opposed to grinding the same heist 20 times just to afford two cars and their upgrades.

Let us not forget how Singleplayer was swept under the rug in favor to milking as much shark card sales as possible, a lot of people, including me, don't want RDR2's Singleplayer get the same treatment as GTA V.
  • Gtaman_92, Chekoloco, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 2 others like this

NikosUncle
  • NikosUncle

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

Some people have such unrealistic ideas regarding the way enterprises work... they don't do what's the best for YOU, they do what is gonna sell. And GTA Online makes them a lot of money, which in my opinion is good because we get free DLCs for Online and they might spend a good portion of their earnings in their next projects, making even better games because of their growing budget. That said, I love the idea of RDR2 Online. Interacting with NPCs gets old for me after there is no mission left to do, so I for me Online extends the game's life. 

People who are saying Online shouldn't be a thing are wasting their time and not thinking rationally, because an enterprise would never abandon their gold mine like that, because someone threats of never buying their game again. Guess what, for every 5 clients they lose, they get 200 new ones, because that's what the market wants, gaming is evolving, some people like it or not.

thank you for understanding how the world really works. It blows my mind how ridiculous these other people are.
  • P.T., Blasterman4EVER and Gabriela_L like this

psymin
  • psymin

mayor of paleto bay.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • Canada
  • Crew Poster Battle Winner 2016

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:50 AM Edited by psymin, 23 October 2016 - 08:51 AM.

you guys sound like you need fun people to play with. it's a sandbox... have fun with it with friends.

grand theft auto online is a fantastic multiplayer experience for me. the most enjoyable gaming experience in my 33 years of playing video games. the pinnacle.

I cannot wait to experience the old west playground with my friends.
  • P.T., Pastry and CrayCray like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:11 AM Edited by DangerZ0neX, 23 October 2016 - 09:12 AM.

thank you for understanding how the world really works. It blows my mind how ridiculous these other people are.

So you'd rather cherrypick comments that you agree with and disregard other people's opinions that fulfill your needed answer, despite you yourself specifically asking them why they don't like Online?

lmao, you're insufferable.
  • Shaundi., ClaudeSpeed1911, danilo_ol and 2 others like this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:13 AM Edited by Jabalous, 25 October 2016 - 03:04 PM.

I enjoyed Redemption's multiplayer back in 2010 and 2011 and had a blast playing team deathmatches and hunting other players in free roam. The world's atmosphere did nothing but encouraged me to spend more time immersing myself into it with other live players. However, that was back in the days when there were no shark cards and an in-game economy. Everything was open for everyone and you had to level up in order to unlock new weapons and new horse breeds, but you didn't have to grind and watch your dollars going away while spending them in an ammunition store. You could simply walk to boxes scattered around the map in order to refill with more ammo. 

A Redemption 2 multiplayer mode will most likely be inspired by GTA Online. I don't know to what extent R* will go in order to justify creating an in-game economy, because there's not much to sell and buy in the old west compared to the modern world of GTA. How many horse breeds (vehicle) could they provide for the player to purchase? You might have your own barn (horse garage) and a safehouse, but there's nothing attractive about buying a different horse breed unless it has more stamina and speed. Unlike cars, horses look the same for the average player and you cannot decorate them with new colors.

I hope that R* will focus more on bringing meaningful content to the multiplayer than emulating what they've been doing with GTA during the past three years. New content that is based on new clothes and accessorial customization are uninspired and I hope that they don't bring this virus to the atmospheric world of Red Dead, or at least it doesn't become a focus and heavily marketed. I will love a multiplayer mode that adds new mini-games, more story-driven coop missions, new maps and so on, and to top it off, I will be happier with no an in-game economy.

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

grand theft auto online is a fantastic multiplayer experience for me. the most enjoyable gaming experience in my 33 years of playing video games. the pinnacle.

Then you haven't played many videogames either if you honestly think GTAO is the best game there is, so much for being a vidya veteran.
  • temi4328 and Miscer like this

NikosUncle
  • NikosUncle

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

If GTA Online is the best thing Rockstar can do when it comes to making multiplayer games, then it's more than logical that people would have disdain for Online.
Not only does every update break connection stability and gameplay quality, they gradually overprice everything to coax people into buying sharks as opposed to grinding the same heist 20 times just to afford two cars and their upgrades.
Let us not forget how Singleplayer was swept under the rug in favor to milking as much shark card sales as possible, a lot of people, including me, don't want RDR2's Singleplayer get the same treatment as GTA V.

how the hell was single player "swept under the rug"? The single player was a solid experience just like all the other gtas. So what if there wasn't any single player dlc? If you enjoy playing by yourself so much then there's more than enough content for you as it is, I mean wtf else do you expect?
  • P.T. likes this

lessthan3
  • lessthan3

Intensity In Ten Cities

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:30 AM Edited by lessthan3, 23 October 2016 - 09:31 AM.

It's not that people hate online in itself, people are just worried that it'll detract from the singleplayer experience.

Also, because of other people. Other human beings are the #1 worst thing about pretty much everything on this planet, including online games. Because even if most people are okay as human beings, generally speaking they suck at games. Being forced to sit around depending on some incompetent idiot who doesn't have a clue what he's doing, as he consistently fraks everything up for everyone else is enough to make Gandhi himself go postal and shoot up a middle school.

Also GTAO isn't exactly a ton of fun. It's mostly grinding. They had a great opportunity to make freeroam something awesome, but aside from shopping there's literally nothing to do in it, so people just drive around in bulletproof supercars throwing stickies at each other. Something that is made vastly easier given that you can always see where everyone is on the map. Which makes these supposed spontaneous combat encounters boring and dumb, as you can't flank around someone or hide, since they always see you on the map, turning it into an deadly competition of hiding behind cover to avoid gunfire, while spamming explosives at each other.

Imagine if you could always see the enemy on the map in counter-strike. How fun that would be... -_-

Doesn't completely kill any tactical element of the game at all. No sir.

But given that Dan Hauser said they never actually gave a damn about GTAO, maybe that's why it is the way it is, and now that they're actually focusing on it, the online is going to be good. Who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:49 AM Edited by DangerZ0neX, 23 October 2016 - 10:10 AM.

how the hell was single player "swept under the rug"? The single player was a solid experience just like all the other gtas. So what if there wasn't any single player dlc? If you enjoy playing by yourself so much then there's more than enough content for you as it is, I mean wtf else do you expect?
4dd8082075b724e59c5a831b878a49d25025e1d6

I never thought I'd meet someone this dense. Do you not realize that Singleplayer got deprived of content after old gen was dropped and everything was kept exclusive to Online?

Rockstar was so much of a prick about it that they even applied a script to make sure that the Online update items never get equipped or used and make the update vehicles disappear once your Singleplayer protagonist gets inside the car, all of that just to spite PC players so that they can't spawn vehicles in SP and test them out. This started in Lowriders Custom Classics and it's still carried on today, and when people brought tons of attention to it on this forum and reddit, Rockstar still didn't give a sh*t and kept the anti-SP script.

It makes sense you have no knowledge about this issue because you'd rather listen to those who appeal to you than those stating actual facts.
  • NikosUncle, Chekoloco, Shaundi. and 10 others like this

UAL
  • UAL

Playa

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

In a gaming climate where multi-player/online is so dominant, Rockstar WERE one of the very few developers left that made story driven single player games with structured narratives and missions. But GTA Online has completely alienated a lot of the original fan base or players that favour single player gaming over online gaming.

We've been waiting for a follow up to RDR for years and now that we finally have it, it's apparent that Online will play a big part of the game, obviously we don't know how much but peoples concerns are completely understandable considering what happened with GTA V.

• Neon_Dreaming and Yinepi like this

psymin
  • psymin

mayor of paleto bay.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • Canada
  • Crew Poster Battle Winner 2016

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

Then you haven't played many videogames either if you honestly think GTAO is the best game there is, so much for being a vidya veteran.

really.

IMG_20161004_084046_20161009135222752_zp
  • Street Mix, P.T. and CrayCray like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

really.

-image-
You don't strike to me as an adult, at all.
  • Gtaman_92, PhillBellic, temi4328 and 2 others like this

NikosUncle
  • NikosUncle

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:51 AM

4dd8082075b724e59c5a831b878a49d25025e1d6
I never thought I'd meet someone this dense. Do you not realize that Singleplayer got deprived of content after old gen was dropped and everything was kept exclusive to Online?
Rockstar was so much of a prick about it that they even applied a script to make sure that the Online update items never get equipped or used and make the update vehicles disappear once your Singleplayer protagonist gets inside the car, all of that just to spite PC players so that they can't spawn vehicles in SP and test them out. This started in Lowriders Custom Classics and it's still carried on today, and when people brought tons of attention to it on this forum and reddit, Rockstar still didn't give a sh*t and kept the anti-SP script.
It makes sense you have no knowledge about this issue because you'd rather listen to those who appeal to you than those stating actual facts.
yea so a few weapons and vehicles are exclusive to online. So what? You can't show them off in single player, all you can do is drive around on your own shooting npcs. It makes sense for there to be more content online where the world feels alive and actually has meaning.

garfieldx
  • garfieldx

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:51 AM Edited by garfieldx, 23 October 2016 - 10:52 AM.

Online in both rdr1 and gtav were amazing. I saw in the hype thread people were actually annoyed how the synopsis thing mentioned online. Seriously wtf is that about?

It's an illusion. Because majority who enjoy them don't come here and bitch about it.

• Jimmarn and P.T. like this

Karlitoz-E
  • Karlitoz-E

SiiR

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

I love online modes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users