Good PC monitors?

21 replies to this topic
Kingbing
  • Kingbing

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:16 AM

I am looking to get a good monitor for my PC as i'm using a small TV at the moment.  Does anyone know of some good suggestions?  I've been looking at the old dell ultrasharp 4x3 monitors which I have always liked, but I also like the 16x10 aspect ratio.  What kind of monitors do you guys have?

fast and bulbous squid
  • fast and bulbous squid

you can call me... SUPERLIGHTDUSKMASTER99

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:34 AM Edited by Big Moist, 23 October 2016 - 02:35 AM.

I just got a LG 4K IPS monitor that I really like, the resolution is nice but not absolutely necessary

If money wasn't an issue I'd get the Acer Predator X34 because curved ultrawides look awesome, but anywhere in the 200-500 dollar range it would probably be best to search around for a well-reviewed 1440p or 4K monitor. Unfortunately new 16:10 or 4:3 monitors are practically inexistent so you'd have to go used

Kingbing
  • Kingbing

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:10 AM

I just got a LG 4K IPS monitor that I really like, the resolution is nice but not absolutely necessary

If money wasn't an issue I'd get the Acer Predator X34 because curved ultrawides look awesome, but anywhere in the 200-500 dollar range it would probably be best to search around for a well-reviewed 1440p or 4K monitor. Unfortunately new 16:10 or 4:3 monitors are practically inexistent so you'd have to go used

I don't really understand the point of an ultrawide monitor.  The aspect ratio looks absolutely rediculous and I don't see any functionality in it.  And even with 16x9 monitors, they still aren't tall enough to have the benefit of more webpage viewing.  I don't know, but something about these widescreen displays feels so cramped, while even a 16x10 feels much more open to me.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:09 AM Edited by yojc, 23 October 2016 - 10:09 AM.

Well, I think it's just a matter of preference, and it also depends on what you plan to use the PC for.

I've been using a 16:10 display (Belinea b.display 2.1_22" Wide) for years, but I've switched to a 21:9 monitor (LG 29UM67-P) half a year ago. To be honest... I was completely blown away when I first got it, and I'm still blown away now. Playing games in 21:9 ratio is just out of this world. I don't want to go back to 16:10/16:9 ever again, this is by far the best PC upgrade I've ever done. I'm glad I've spent the money on the display rather than upgrading the CPU/GPU, or even buying an SSD.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:17 AM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 24 October 2016 - 12:51 PM.

I don't really understand the point of an ultrawide monitor.  The aspect ratio looks absolutely rediculous and I don't see any functionality in it.  And even with 16x9 monitors, they still aren't tall enough to have the benefit of more webpage viewing.  I don't know, but something about these widescreen displays feels so cramped, while even a 16x10 feels much more open to me.

Have you ever played in one in person? Or did you just seen ultrawide pictures on your squared box?

Only the ultrawide 21:9 will give you the feeling of being inside a cockpit, with your 4x3 it looks like you are looking behind a window.

Fp shooters give you the advantage of seeing more of your surrondings

Any 3rd person game just looks so amazing, it gives you that cinematic feeling while playing it.

Get out of the box, embrace the ultra wide master race

BaNWqRY.jpg

• Smoov_Operator likes this

Kingbing
  • Kingbing

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

Have you ever played in one in person? Or did you just seen ultrawide pictures on your squared box?

Only the ultrawide 21:9 will give you the feeling of being inside a cockpit, with your 4x3 it looks like you are looking behind a window.

Fp shooters give you the advantage of seeing more of your surrondings

Any 3rd person game just looks so amazing, it gives you that cinematic feeling while playing it.

Get out of the box, embrace the ultra wide master race

BaNWqRY.jpg

I don't need to feel like i'm behind a cockpit when I'm typing a word document or browsing the web.  And I only play retro games on this pc which were make for the 4x3 format anyway.  If I wanted more width, I could pair up two standard monitors for a cheaper price than an UltraWide.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

Two monitors is fine for working, but utterly pointless for anything else. I didn't "get" ultrawide until I played it but now I'm seriously considering it instead of conventional 2K. But then your use case suggests pretty much anything would be overkill, and I daresay isn't really reflective of anyone with a more current interest in PC gaming.
  • HaRdSTyLe_83 likes this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:27 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 24 October 2016 - 04:30 PM.

I don't need to feel like i'm behind a cockpit when I'm typing a word document or browsing the web.  And I only play retro games on this pc which were make for the 4x3 format anyway.  If I wanted more width, I could pair up two standard monitors for a cheaper price than an UltraWide.

sure, i replied bcuz i thought you wanted oppinions about "good" monitors, i guess for browsing web or work related stuff you wont need any type of ultrawide or 4k or high refresh rate type of monitor.

i doubt you can still get brand new 4x3 monitors so you are left with 16x10 but it will need to be bigger then 22" if you found the 29" ultrawide cramped, they are both the same size.

like sivispacem said, 2 monitors only for work, or you will end up with the bezzels in the middle. unless you would game on 3 :p

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:29 PM

Which is precisely what I wrote - UW is not suitable for all applications. In your case it'd be best to stick to 16:9 - it'll be hard to find a brand new 16:10/3:4/5:4 display. And yeah, dual monitor setup is perfectly fine for office work, maybe even better than single ultrawide display (and much cheaper).

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

I'm very late to the monitor party, didn't upgrade to 1080p until last year but this is what I have. I love it and the way it looks, a Samsung S24D590L:
2303857_5.jpg

It's very old fashioned by today's standards, being 1080p at 60Hz but that doesn't phase me for a couple of reasons:
1. I have never once felt like I need a higher resolution.
2. A higher resolution would only really make sense on a bigger monitor and to be honest that's not something I've ever felt like I wanted either. 24" with very thin bezel fills my desk very nicely and as close as I sit to it it makes perfect sense to me.
3. PLS panel with amazing colours.
4. I like to play games with the graphics cranked up and doing so on a higher resolution or refresh rate would require very expensive hardware. Meanwhile, 1080p60 is what the low end cards these days are aimed at. So much cheaper and I still think it looks great.

Kingbing
  • Kingbing

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:49 AM

I'm very late to the monitor party, didn't upgrade to 1080p until last year but this is what I have. I love it and the way it looks, a Samsung S24D590L:
2303857_5.jpg

It's very old fashioned by today's standards, being 1080p at 60Hz but that doesn't phase me for a couple of reasons:
2. A higher resolution would only really make sense on a bigger monitor and to be honest that's not something I've ever felt like I wanted either. 24" with very thin bezel fills my desk very nicely and as close as I sit to it it makes perfect sense to me.
4. I like to play games with the graphics cranked up and doing so on a higher resolution or refresh rate would require very expensive hardware. Meanwhile, 1080p60 is what the low end cards these days are aimed at. So much cheaper and I still think it looks great.

I guess 16x9 isn't unreasonable.  I'd just prefer to have a bit more added height to the monitor, but what can you do nowadays?  So I'm also unsure if I want a glossy screen or a matte one.  I know way back in the day before matte screens, I would always go crazy at how the sun casts a big reflection on the screen.

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:54 AM Edited by RogerWho, 25 October 2016 - 05:58 AM.

Maybe I'm weird but I've always preferred displays designed for graphics work, especially photography. I have an old 27" Dell 2711 with AdobeRGB gamut which is lovely, even though it's 16:9. It may not have the refresh rate, response or whatever aspects of gaming monitors, but it looks damn good, the colors are accurate and nice (although typical sRGB content can appear oversaturated unless properly profiled, which games aren't, but at least it makes games look sweet), white is white and not blue, black is black and not weird gray nor a glossy mirror, and it can reproduce shades of gray perfectly and the brightness can be set very very low for a night job without getting flickery.

While gaming monitors aren't as sh*tty as they used to be and usually can be set up to look fairly normal (after ignoring all the stupid presets with super-punchy contrast, ridiculous colors or oversharpening), they just generally don't provide the same... Hm, let's say confidence that the displayed image is what was actually meant to be displayed.

Not a fan of 16:9 either but I got used to it. Previously I had two Samsung 20" 4:3 displays (also AdobeRGB) and this serves pretty much the same purpose, only instead of usually having 2 windows on 2 separate displays, I now have them on the same screen. And of course it's more convenient for games. Even the old ones. I played KOTOR last year or so with widescreen hacks and it definitely enhanced the experience.

And don't get me started on glossy display. That's just horrible. Glossy displays may have some special uses (although I can't imagine any, apart from touchcreens I guess) but any general purpose monitor that is used with any sort of light at least once should have matte surface. The colors/contrast advantage of glossy is complete nonsense. A good matte monitor with a good display will always look better than a crappy one that's catching up with a glossy surface. The only disadvantage is that it can be somewhat difficult to clean.

Anyway. While these days even the cheap standard monitors offer fairly competent IPS screens (compared to the TN crap from just a few years ago), I'd still opt for displays made for graphics design, photography and such uses unless you can't stand 60 Hz or need extra fast response for competitive gaming.

Though I can imagine G-sync or such being nice... I'd still take a better base display over that.

Can't speak for ultrawides :) I probably wouldn't turn one down, but it depends on what the image tradeoffs were. I'd probably still prefer a better display.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:29 AM

So I'm also unsure if I want a glossy screen or a matte one.  I know way back in the day before matte screens, I would always go crazy at how the sun casts a big reflection on the screen.

Go for a matte screen if your have a choice. Gloss displays reflect too much light and they are harder to keep clean.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:41 AM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 25 October 2016 - 09:43 AM.

@kingbing if the only thing that really matters to you is height then i have the perfect solution for you... Buy a ultawide that can pivot 90 degrees,
now you can have 83 cm height Lmao kidding.
If you dont mind buying used you can get very good deals as most people already went 16:9 or 21:9 if you go with 16:9 dont go less then 24" being 27" the sweetspot for me in. If resolution or gsync or 144hz is something you dont need then you can find some cheap.

Chewie
  • Chewie

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:37 PM

I have two monitors. I have 1 27 inch 1440p Asus monitor for gaming and my 1080p monitor for monitors temps or for video playback for video editing. :)

Dave
  • Dave

Woof

• Feroci
  • Singapore

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:36 AM

2303857_5.jpg

I have the 27" version of this. It's alright in terms of colours, but the resolution kinda sucks to be honest.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

I have the 27" version of this. It's alright in terms of colours, but the resolution kinda sucks to be honest.

I've heard 1080p at over 24" monitors looks bad so I'm not really surprised.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:03 PM Edited by yojc, 27 October 2016 - 10:04 PM.

I second that. IMHO 23-24" is optimal for 1080p. Unless you sit far away from the display.

Kingbing
  • Kingbing

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:17 PM

Does anyone know a good monitor for under $100?  I'm mainly looking for this to be connected to my laptop just so I get a desktop feel.

Noale
  • Noale

I DID NOT HIT HER I DID NOT OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

At that price range, I would just pick out the absolute cheapest that will get the job done and save up for something nicer down the line. Most monitors in that $100 or below range don't differentiate enough on features.

I do tend to like LG monitors though because when you turn them on, they just turn on. Asus and Acer like to show you a logo for a couple of seconds, which is a pet peeve of mine. Silly, I know.

Smoov_Operator
  • Smoov_Operator

Special place in hell for me and it's called a throne.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

I find a 21x9 to be very practical for everything I do. But for $100... not many options. Go with what you can afford.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:59 PM Edited by yojc, 30 October 2016 - 04:02 PM.

The best display that I could find on Newegg for <$100 is http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824009628- the only non-refurb IPS Full HD display in this price range. If you'd want to save money, you'd have to get a display with worse TN matrix.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users