Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are large internet content companies censoring political viewpoints?

67 replies to this topic
E.A.B.
  • E.A.B.

Group: Leone Mafia Family

• Members

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:45 AM

PragerU, or Prager University, is the brainchild of radio host Dennis Prager, and offers short, five-minute videos about a range of topics presented from a Judeo-Christian and conservative perspective. The videos use slick graphics and statistics to summarize complex issues such as racism and foreign policy.

Jared Sichel, communications director for PragerU, said in a statement that the organization has been communicating with YouTube, which is owned by Google, for “several months” trying to get their videos uncensored. Sichel explained what placing the videos in “restricted mode” does.

“Restricted mode is something that many parents and schools use so that children don’t watch explicit adult and sexual content — not so they can’t find animated, educational videos on topics ranging from history and economics to happiness and philosophy,” he wrote.

Because YouTube and Google has refused to relent, Sichel said, the organization started the petition. Another spokesperson for the organization told the Washington Examiner that news reports generated Tuesday about the petition have so far not resulted in the videos becoming uncensored.

For comparison, PragerU posted to its Facebook page that videos addressing similar topics from the liberal Vox are not placed in restricted mode. For instance, the PragerU video “Is America Racist?” is in restricted mode, while Vox’s “The racist history of US immigration history” is not.

https://winteryknigh...ity-on-youtube/

http://legalinsurrec...estricted-mode/

http://thefederalist...videos-prageru/

This is part of a larger trend; Twitter has a ''Trust and Safety Council'' that aims to make the internet ''safer'' by stopping the trend of people jumping out of your monitor and calling you a wetback before promptly leaving, thereby ruining your life perpetually. There's something real unsettling about a large organization being tasked with the vague objective of being a ''Safety Council'' and given censorship ability to achieve this.

The American Leftist strain of thought that claims equality and the creation of a fairer society through faux-outrage and blacklisting is exactly the sort of 'for your own good' approach that culminates into a soft sort of control and tyranny. It's fascistic in the approach to inter-personal relations. It's not enough to disagree, the person must be excised.

and yes I know they're private companies that can do as they wish in a free market, but as a consumer I can also pronounce my outrage.

• GTA_stu, Ya Boy Punk Fan, Skeever and 1 other like this

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2016
    Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:12 AM

Not really a Gen Chat topic. Moving to D&D.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:33 AM

Hmm why would schools want to restrict students from accessing right-wing propganda? I'm happy high schoolers can't look up a video about how America is totally not racist and blacks are just winers. 

• Tchuck, mr quick, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 7 others like this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

love or a garbage disposal unit

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

>Prager U

gtfo

• Niobium likes this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

🔺

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:45 AM

I wouldn't put this;

On the same level as an educational video on past racism in America's immigration authority.
  • 609_uu likes this

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:55 AM

The problem with YouTube, unlike the social networks of Twitter and Facebook, is that it doesn't really have any competition, so content creators are forced to accept its policies.  Even the biggest beneficiaries, such as Pewdiepie, are frustrated with YouTube because it continually makes changes, often draconian, without gauging feedback from its most successful creators.  Right now, it's pretty impenetrable, but it only takes the dissatisfaction of one or two Ivy League drop-outs to abruptly change that.

Bottom line, YouTube needs competition.

• GTA_stu, iBUCKEYE, Ya Boy Punk Fan and 1 other like this

E.A.B.
  • E.A.B.

• Members

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:44 AM

Hmm why would schools want to restrict students from accessing right-wing propganda? I'm happy high schoolers can't look up a video about how America is totally not racist and blacks are just winers. 

You can't be serious.

I disagree that Global Warming is an issue but also believe that its exact repercussions are subject to debate and climate models aren't 100% accurate. There are videos of people outright denying climate change whilst there are vids of people telling me we hit peak oil in 2007 and Al Gore said we're f*cked cause we didn't change anything in 2008.

The question isn't whether you agree or disagree, the issue is whether content should be allowed that makes an argument for cases. Just because you believe it to be right-wing propaganda doesn't mean it should be excluded from the conversation and the idea should be subjugated to censorship. I disagree with you on a lot of things but I'd consider it an intellectual disgrace if your viewpoint was censored.

The KKK, Alex Jones, etc etc should be allowed to speak their minds, and whilst Youtube can censor whatever they feel like it I can also speak out and criticize them and say that all facets of all debates should have a place no matter how ridiculous precisely so they can be discredited or added upon.

Son you can't be this partisan. You are the problem.

>Prager U

gtfo

also agree with my sexy ass cousin XS on all points. That's always been my stance on how horrible Youtube is and there is some competition (Dailymotion), problem is all the ''big people'' are on youtube and no one wants to leave cause then they wont be next to the ''big people''. It's kinda like financial markets and how part of it is honestly just perception and mindset with no actual basis in reality; but entirely on perception

• GTA_stu likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Tämän Maailman Ruhtinaan Hovi

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:33 AM

Of course a Christian Conservative is going to allege that their views are being censored. Their movement is in free fall and they're not going to blame it on their backwards social views or religious zealotry, are they? Far easier to scapegoat their cataclysmic decline with a media crusade, which is exactly what the socially conservative Right has done for generations now.

The issue goes deeper than digital media organisations simply being private entities. People consistently fail to understand or appreciate that these platforms make very clear to users from the outset that they reserve the right to remove content whenever they see fit, even if it isn't necessarily in direct breach of the terms and conditions. Users accept these terms when they sign up so it's a bit rich to whine about "censorship" when you've literally ticked a box agreeing to it.

Given that Prager's stated aim is to "challenge the unhealthy effect, intellectually and morally, of the American higher education system" there's a fairly good chance everything he publishes is horsesh*t anyway.
  • El Diablo, Tchuck, SagaciousKJB and 5 others like this

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

By that same token, would you be happy to have black YouTubers be censored for calling white people inhuman and demons and promoting racial segregation? That's a real question, by the way. I'm not being flippant.

I am perfectly okay with mass censorship, though often for moral rather than purely political reasons. I don't believe in free speech as it exists now, when the masses cannot be trusted to use it responsibly. This could well be a progressive and positive step if they really are beginning to censor certain viewpoints. But I would suggest that they need to cast their net wider. It's all well and good to censor one video, but redundant when a comment section can still be filled with the most vulgar array of homophobia, race-baiting and casual sexism.

mr quick
  • mr quick

i've been on the run but i've done my time

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

8bcbc2d0dfef10454a2e1fa93b8e570c.png

Ha! Why am I not surprised? 

f944dc429e18881d5d114cb50a53d4bf.png

"Does the truth matter? Not to groups like Black Lives Matter." 

73b67a5d7a68b7c9c85a84779a058387.png

Why are people outraged? Why are people defending this? This is outright propaganda under the guise of education.

You can't be serious.

I disagree that Global Warming is an issue but also believe that its exact repercussions are subject to debate and climate models aren't 100% accurate. There are videos of people outright denying climate change whilst there are vids of people telling me we hit peak oil in 2007 and Al Gore said we're f*cked cause we didn't change anything in 2008.

The question isn't whether you agree or disagree, the issue is whether content should be allowed that makes an argument for cases. Just because you believe it to be right-wing propaganda doesn't mean it should be excluded from the conversation and the idea should be subjugated to censorship. I disagree with you on a lot of things but I'd consider it an intellectual disgrace if your viewpoint was censored.

The KKK, Alex Jones, etc etc should be allowed to speak their minds, and whilst Youtube can censor whatever they feel like it I can also speak out and criticize them and say that all facets of all debates should have a place no matter how ridiculous precisely so they can be discredited or added upon.

Son you can't be this partisan. You are the problem.

>Prager U

gtfo

also agree with my sexy ass cousin XS on all points. That's always been my stance on how horrible Youtube is and there is some competition (Dailymotion), problem is all the ''big people'' are on youtube and no one wants to leave cause then they wont be next to the ''big people''. It's kinda like financial markets and how part of it is honestly just perception and mindset with no actual basis in reality; but entirely on perception

Also, what's the heck are you on about? The content IS allowed, I watched it just now! Unless of course, your "faux-outrage" is about the fact that this sh*tty propaganda is """"inaccessible"""" to children, in which case I honestly have to say that you're bad people.

• El Diablo, Tchuck, Matty and 6 others like this

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

The problem with YouTube, unlike the social networks of Twitter and Facebook, is that it doesn't really have any competition

Wait, who is the competition to Facebook?

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

I mentioned Twitter.

Users will often migrate from one platform to the other if they're dissatisfied.  In fact, they fear this so much that they have started shadow banning people instead.  Shadow banning allows censorship to go undetected in fear of backlash and negative publicity from outright suspensions or terminations.

• Ya Boy Punk Fan likes this

Ya Boy Punk Fan
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan

Brother Nero, I knew you'd come.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:48 PM Edited by TheRealCMPUNKFan, 22 October 2016 - 03:52 PM.

Most of the people on this section of the forums are uber liberals who seemingly hate people with different viewpoints from them, (mtd, Marwin, etc.) so there's unfortunately no point in making these threads. They seem like the kind of people who stick their fingers in their ears when confronted with something they don't like and just yell, "LALALA MY OPINION'S RIGHT AND YOUR'S IS WRONG". I will say that there is censorship in America and it's getting worse and worse every passing year. It'll increase tenfold when Hillary's unfortunately elected. Then again, Russia will probably nuke us soon after that so I guess censorship won't matter that much anymore.  :/

• 609_uu and Happy Hunter like this

Raavi
  • Raavi

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:51 PM

Youtube has competitors, but those don't offer the type of monetization schemes YouTube does, and that is what most creators want at the end of the day- to make a quick buck, or wherever possible even a living off of their content. Merchandise, donations and brand deals aside, the only available route to most is on-page advertisements; brands placing ads either on the sides, beginning or middle of the video. Doing so opens the creator up to advertising guidelines, why are they there? Put quite simply no mainstream brand is going to want to have their good name attached to a video for example titled "Are there too many n---" by channel GrandEugenicsWizard, even if told through cute artsy stick figures. Most of this "censorship" comes down to what is and what isn't advertiser-friendly, and for that YouTube has clear guidelines.

There is a caveat, however, whilst there are filters in place that automatically flag/remove certain videos, most of the flagging is done through (mass)-reporting by YouTube users (or in the case of copyrighted content, copyright holders), a system that is notoriously prone to abuse. What's more, once a video is 'unjustly' flagged it can take quite a while for the age-restriction to be reversed, especially on smaller channels. Judging by the fact that I can now freely access the allegedly age-restricted videos when logged out, this has every appearance of being a case of the latter, rather than YouTube censoring anything.

As for them not being available in restricted mode, a completely optional broad-brush filter used by many a school and concerned parent, being some kind of liberal conspiracy - Half of The Young Turks, YouTube's biggest liberal news channel's content is unavailable, hell half of Buzzfeed's content is too for crying out loud. Talk about crying wolf.

• El Diablo, Tchuck, epoxi and 3 others like this

Mion
  • Mion

NorthCarolina #MarchMadness

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

uber liberals (mtd, Marwin, etc.)

Then again, Russia will probably nuke us soon after that so I guess censorship won't matter that much anymore.  :/

What are you on about.
  • mr quick, Melchior, Triple Vacuum Seal and 1 other like this

Ya Boy Punk Fan
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:05 PM Edited by TheRealCMPUNKFan, 22 October 2016 - 04:08 PM.

Then again, Russia will probably nuke us soon after that so I guess censorship won't matter that much anymore.  :/

What are you on about?

Hillary made it quite obvious during the final debate and in her leaked emails that she wants war with Russia. Only one thing will come out of that and it's this little thing called nuclear war. (Also, from the posts of yours that I've seen of here, you're one of the uber liberals so I'd rather not discuss anything with a close minded person. It'll be nothing but an argument and that's not what I'm here for.) This is pretty OT though so let's not delve into this further.

• 609_uu and Happy Hunter like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hillary made it quite obvious during the final debate and in her leaked emails that she wants war with Russia.

This may not be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read in D&D- that's reserved for the conspiracy theory that WTC 1 and 2 were destroyed with underground tactical nuclear weapons- but it's certainly up there. Literally nothing published in any of the leaked emails could lead even the most irrational person to believe this so I can only assume you're taking the piss.
  • El Diablo, Tchuck, mr quick and 3 others like this

mr quick
  • mr quick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:42 PM Edited by Marwin, 22 October 2016 - 04:53 PM.

Most of the people on this section of the forums are uber liberals who seemingly hate people with different viewpoints from them, (mtd, Marwin, etc.) 

I'm not a liberal, idiot. 

e: so as not to spew one-liners: 

You go on in your weird little rant about liberals(something I am not) such as myself(still not a liberal) who refuse to accept different opinions than their own, but that's CLEARLY not the issue here- if you would have bothered to read my post you would see that my issue was with the fact that it's right-wing propaganda, not its overt stupidity. 

• El Diablo, Tchuck, SagaciousKJB and 3 others like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:13 PM

Most of the people on this section of the forums are uber liberals who seemingly hate people with different viewpoints from them

...proceeds to list only two ("most") people, neither of which are liberal, let alone "uber" liberal

They seem like the kind of people who stick their fingers in their ears when confronted with something they don't like and just yell, "LALALA MY OPINION'S RIGHT AND YOUR'S IS WRONG"

(Also, from the posts of yours that I've seen of here, you're one of the uber liberals so I'd rather not discuss anything with a close minded person.)

Is this some sort of satire?

As for the youtube "censroship", it seems more like pointless outrage at a non-issue just so people can peddle a "liberal" conspiracy. If having your videos not show up on school computers is what it takes for one to call it censorship, one has to think that it's just reaching for something to complain about when everything is actually pretty good, considering how easy it is to view the videos anyway - and that's ignoring the the private company thing. The videos can be rehosted on loads of other sites just fine as well.

Also as said PragerU is trash anyway, I've only ever seen academics refer to it with contempt. Personally I wouldn't be worried if the channel mysteriously got deleted tbh
  • El Diablo, Tchuck, mr quick and 6 others like this

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

What are you on about?

Hillary made it quite obvious during the final debate and in her leaked emails that she wants war with Russia. Only one thing will come out of that and it's this little thing called nuclear war. (Also, from the posts of yours that I've seen of here, you're one of the uber liberals so I'd rather not discuss anything with a close minded person. It'll be nothing but an argument and that's not what I'm here for.) This is pretty OT though so let's not delve into this further.

Lol oh so you're being close-minded about what they have to say because they're close-minded?  And you don't want to start an argument...  In D&D?  Are you lost?  Anyway, pot calling the kettle black.

XS, if YouTube needed competition it would have it.  It's the demand from consumers that drives that.  The content creators might be unsatisfied with YouTube but the consumers don't give a crap.  In fact they would probably be less happy if bullsh*t propaganda like this was freely available to their kid under the guise of "educational" media. LiveLeaks comes to mind as a YouTube competitor where they don't censor people. Is it any surprise that it's turned into a bastion for racist right-wing rhetoric and hate speech?

I love how the right in America always likes to make mountains out of molehills with stuff like this.  You took a leap to fascism in like one bound.  Media publications have been known to censor controversial viewpoints, it really doesn't matter what political ideology is behind them, if what they're saying is controversial and enough people are concerned about it then they will probably get censored.  I'm sure if there was some hardcore left-wing liberal on there telling everyone about how God is just a big imaginary fabrication that there would be some people pissed off about that too.

TheAmazingAtheist

http://www.dailydot....banned-youtube/

GASP

You  mean YouTube isn't politically motivated by what they censor, but more concerned with not offending the sensibilities of their viewership?  Holy sh*t, it's almost like they're a media company that's just trying to protect their lucrative revenue.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

GIVƎ MƎ THƎ BAT WƎNDY

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:59 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 22 October 2016 - 06:27 PM.

This reminds me when idiots complain about idiots getting it's sh*tty YT channel/twitter/reedit account getting deleted for "un-PC reasons".
(Read un-PC reasons as: sexist/homophobic rants, racially cyberbullying actresses in a upcoming sh*tty movie remake, etc)
  • mr quick, ClaudeSpeed1911 and Mr. Fartenhate like this

Ya Boy Punk Fan
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:00 PM Edited by TheRealCMPUNKFan, 22 October 2016 - 06:05 PM.

Well that went south quite fast. Lol. Also, damn, Dagger. Didn't know you disliked me that much. Let me clarify this as well, I'm not right wing. I don't belong to any political party. They're only there to divide people. Lastly, when I posted that, this thread was still in general chat. This is the last part of the forums that I would go to. I don't enjoy debating as I'm stressed out as it is. P.S. the reason I called Marwin and mtd liberals is because again, the posts that I've seen of there's have all been pretty left leaning. Sorry for getting everyone's panties in a wad.

• Happy Hunter likes this

mr quick
  • mr quick

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

P.S. the reason I called Marwin and mtd liberals is because again, the posts that I've seen of there's have all been pretty left leaning. Sorry for getting everyone's panties in a wad.

"P.S. the reason I called Marwin and mtd liberals is becaus again, I have no understanding of politics and associate all leftists with liberalism. Sorry for being completely unprepared for an actual discussion and having no tangible defense or answer to any criticism." 

• El Diablo, Tchuck, Mr. Fartenhate and 1 other like this

Ya Boy Punk Fan
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:37 PM Edited by TheRealCMPUNKFan, 22 October 2016 - 06:48 PM.

P.S. the reason I called Marwin and mtd liberals is because again, the posts that I've seen of there's have all been pretty left leaning. Sorry for getting everyone's panties in a wad.

"P.S. the reason I called Marwin and mtd liberals is becaus again, I have no understanding of politics and associate all leftists with liberalism. Sorry for being completely unprepared for an actual discussion and having no tangible defense or answer to any criticism." 

Are you always a massive c*nt? Also I made it clear I don't like debating so insulting me for being a bad debater is f*cking redundant. Oh and as for your "no answer to any criticism" remark, I wasn't criticized, I was just insulted and attacked.

• Melchior and Happy Hunter like this

E.A.B.
  • E.A.B.

• Members

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:56 PM Edited by E.A.B., 22 October 2016 - 06:57 PM.

Most of the people on this section of the forums are uber liberals who seemingly hate people with different viewpoints from them, (mtd, Marwin, etc.) so there's unfortunately no point in making these threads. They seem like the kind of people who stick their fingers in their ears when confronted with something they don't like and just yell, "LALALA MY OPINION'S RIGHT AND YOUR'S IS WRONG". I will say that there is censorship in America and it's getting worse and worse every passing year. It'll increase tenfold when Hillary's unfortunately elected. Then again, Russia will probably nuke us soon after that so I guess censorship won't matter that much anymore.  :/

Don't quote me on this, but I've been on these forums for...

...uhh....f*ck. Over a decade? I don't know if the demographics have changed, but as far as I recall a HUGE portion of this forums were Europeans. At the very least, when I would spend a ton of time at Gen Chat I would see a ton of Europeans. This isn't ''scientific'' mind you, but I always saw GTAF as having more Europeans than normal.

Whatever 'normal' is.

And given that Americans are generally more right wing than Europeans, at least when it comes to government social programs, then you're partially right. There's a lot of people that would be called American liberals here (I put ''American'' in there don't bitch me out for using liberal in a different manner than is normally the case in Europe like last time). But I owuldn't say they'd stick their fingers in their ears like retards and make no rational arguments. I've always liked GTAF for having a lot of mature sensible people. Well, I mean when it comes to arguments some of them come up with really low tier garbage, but for the most part

Anyway I'm not gonna make this a f*cking quote train like I did in that election thread where I wound up having massive quotes and like 7 different conversations every time I visited it that I just got tired of and didn't bother with anymore.

Media publications have been known to censor controversial viewpoints, it really doesn't matter what political ideology is behind them, if what they're saying is controversial and enough people are concerned about it then they will probably get censored.  I'm sure if there was some hardcore left-wing liberal on there telling everyone about how God is just a big imaginary fabrication that there would be some people pissed off about that too.

What exactly prompted his banning? Within the American context criticizing Islam and the Feminist movement in the modern era isn't liberal

at

all

People like Bill Maher, who are seen as American liberals, get a lot of flak from their own side of the isle for criticizing Islam.

FG4WCLOBPbo

not sure if the youtube tags still work, here's hoping. Was there a specific reason for his banning? I can rationally make the case that his anti-christian content was perfectly fine for the longest of time until he started looking at Muslims as well. I don't watch him so it might be the case that he always targetted Muslims and Feminists from the start and it's not a recent change in 'targeting'. But merely saying, ''this guy is viewed as a liberal and he was banned'' needs more meat to it.

You  mean YouTube isn't politically motivated by what they censor, but more concerned with not offending the sensibilities of their viewership?

What they consider offensive IS politically motivated, though. Because everything is political now. Questioning immigration policy and current groups CAN be viewed as racist and insensitive by the Left. Generally speaking American Leftists are more sensitive and easily offended; 'trigger warnings' didn't come from the American Right. Wasn't the dude from Mozilla fired because he donated some money to prop 8 in California or something? What a company views as offensive and what breaches peoples sensibilities isn't an apolitical matter.

As for them not being available in restricted mode, a completely optional broad-brush filter used by many a school and concerned parent, being some kind of liberal conspiracy - Half of The Young Turks, YouTube's biggest liberal news channel's content is unavailable, hell half of Buzzfeed's content is too for crying out loud. Talk about crying wolf.

Good point. Is there a way to check what is and isn't accessible through restricted mode other than scrolling through every video and counting it? Got on restricted mode and their vids were still there; is there an easier way to verify? I was outraged more than anything since PragerU is so effin tame that I was just confused as to why something so benign would be restricted. Actually, if TYT content is blocked I wanna see what the actual content itself is, because that Cenk guy loves cursing people out.

This reminds me when idiots complain about idiots getting it's sh*tty YT channel/twitter/reedit account getting deleted for "un-PC reasons".
(Read un-PC reasons as: sexists/homophobic rants, racially cyberbullying actresses in a upcoming sh*tty movie remake, etc)

''I'm for free speech but not hate speech''

So you're not for free speech. The defense of free speech doesn't come when it's easy to defend the content, it comes when it's hard to defend it. If it's rants I don't care; as for cyberbullying that black actress I didn't keep up with that. But afaik it's the same basic tabloid trash of gossip and sh*t talking that has been around since forever. Please tell me how bitching out a celebrity on youtube is the same as intimate cases of ''cyber bullying'' whereby its real world bullying that just carries over to Facebook after school. Where people confront one another the next day in the street.

I swear we got a 40 year old woman here and she doesn't know where the block button is it's effin ridiculous.

I am perfectly okay with mass censorship, though often for moral rather than purely political reasons. I don't believe in free speech as it exists now, when the masses cannot be trusted to use it responsibly.

Love your avatar; hate your opinion

wahoo

• 609_uu likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• European-Union

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:14 PM

Also I made it clear I don't like debating

Then, in the nicest possible way, you should probably find a bit of the forum that isn't called "debate and discussion" to post in.
  • Spuds725, mr quick, Mr. Fartenhate and 1 other like this

Ya Boy Punk Fan
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:26 PM

Also I made it clear I don't like debating

Then, in the nicest possible way, you should probably find a bit of the forum that isn't called "debate and discussion" to post in.

Can you not read? I already said this thread was in GC when I posted in it.

Don't quote me on this, but I've been on these forums for...

...uhh....f*ck. Over a decade? I don't know if the demographics have changed, but as far as I recall a HUGE portion of this forums were Europeans. At the very least, when I would spend a ton of time at Gen Chat I would see a ton of Europeans. This isn't ''scientific'' mind you, but I always saw GTAF as having more Europeans than normal.

Whatever 'normal' is.

And given that Americans are generally more right wing than Europeans, at least when it comes to government social programs, then you're partially right. There's a lot of people that would be called American liberals here (I put ''American'' in there don't bitch me out for using liberal in a different manner than is normally the case in Europe like last time). But I owuldn't say they'd stick their fingers in their ears like retards and make no rational arguments. I've always liked GTAF for having a lot of mature sensible people. Well, I mean when it comes to arguments some of them come up with really low tier garbage, but for the most part

Anyway I'm not gonna make this a f*cking quote train like I did in that election thread where I wound up having massive quotes and like 7 different conversations every time I visited it that I just got tired of and didn't bother with anymore. 

Why are you coming at me all hostile? I was siding with you.

• Happy Hunter likes this

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:49 PM Edited by Svip, 22 October 2016 - 07:51 PM.

I mentioned Twitter.

Twitter and Facebook are not really competitors. Most people use both. Facebook has features Twitter doesn't offer and vice versa. They may both be considered 'social media', but they are very different in purpose.

Twitter is a microblogging system, meant as a broadcast between blog posts. It is effectively a broadcaster, since tweets are not private.

Facebook, on the other hand, is a walled garden acquittance communicator. While it has public conservation, Facebook also offer features such as event scheduling, post restrictions and much more.

I've not yet heard of people moving from Facebook to Twitter or the other way around, whenever news of them doing something detestable to their users. They don't offer the same services. It's like being annoyed with Ford and then going off and buying a scooter. A car and a moped are not the same thing. Although, there are strong similarities in their functionality.

There have been attempts at creating real alternatives to Facebook, but those alternatives combined have less traffic than YouTube's main competitors' DailyMotion and Vimeo.

So in practical terms, Facebook has no competition. Hell, Facebook is actually becoming a competition to YouTube, what with all the videos uploaded exclusively to Facebook.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Drunk on Power

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

I edited the topic title so the discussion more accurately reflects the debate.

It was previously 

Youtube and Google officially censoring Political Viewpoints

I changed it to 

Are Youtube and Google censoring Political Viewpoints??

+++++

In my opinion, restricting access to children is not the same as censoring...  

• Mr. Fartenhate and Ya Boy Punk Fan like this

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:01 PM

If you want to make this a general debate, a more generic title might be in order: 'Are large internet content companies censoring political viewpoints?'.

The answer is; they aren't censoring, they are just bobbling people with their results to get more of what they already agree with.
  • Spuds725 and 609_uu like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users