Photo

BoJack Horseman

10 replies to this topic
Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Facade Corporation
  • Russia

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:05 AM Edited by Ivan1997GTA, 2 days ago.

Oh, man. I cannot believe no one made a topic on this show yet.
bojackcover.jpg

Anyway, has anyone seen this show yet? Honestly, after 3 years, a lot of people must have seen it. It's a cartoon show on Netflix. It stars Will Arnett from Arrested Development (also an executive producer) as the titular protagonist, who's a washed up celebrity that starred in a 90's sitcom titled "Horsin' Around". It's been 20 years since he's done anything since. The cast of characters includes Mr. Peanutbutter, a rival actor who is assumed to live a great career by starring in a rip-off of BoJack's own show, his agent/on-again-off-again feline girlfriend, Princess Carolyn, Mr. Peanutbutter's fiancée, Diane, who tries to ghostwrite BoJack's memoir and Todd, a guy who went to BoJack's party 5 years ago and never left. This show is definitely not for kids.

It may sound like another adult cartoon desparately wanting to be like South Park, but it isn't, trust me. This show has 4 seasons, with 12 episodes each that you can watch on Netflix, which I recommend watching in chronological order. BoJack Horseman isn't like most cartoons, or shows in general. The first 3 episodes of season 1 aren't all that funny or creative, but things really start picking up when the character development and reoccurring arc jokes kick in around the 4th episode. Basically, imagine if Peter Griffin or Eric Cartman or whoever has to suffer from the consequences of their action and try to make up for them against real people. The show has no status quo whatsoever, for example: early on in the show, the "D" is stolen from the Hollywood sign, and every episode afterwards has the sign staying that way and people calling it "Hollywoo".

I love this show. BoJack Horseman is a deconstruction of a typical adult cartoon sitcom like Family Guy. For the most part, particularly in later halves of the seasons, it can get really dramatic and depressing, like in the penultimate season 3 episode, "That's Too Much, Man!". It's unheard of for a show about a washed up jerk celebrity to be heartbreaking, but BoJack Horseman managed to do it. This show mostly has downer endings, and happy endings are extremely rare. That's not to say there's almost no comedy in this show, far from it, it has plenty of funny moments. I'd say this show has 40% comedy and 60% drama.

Don't judge a show from the trailers, it's like judging a book by it's cover, which isn't right.
  • Mister Pink, ClaudeSpeed1911, Pavle and 1 other like this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

No one made a thread about this before now? Holy sh*t.

Anyway, I started watching a few weeks ago, already finished the first 2 seasons.

It is the most depressing comedy I've ever seen. It's about a talking horse who may or may not be a more relevant Jerry Seinfeld. It's got Patton Oswald voicing half the characters.
I don't know why this show works but it f*cking g works and I love it.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:18 PM

I have to take breaks from it once in a while because it can be depressing as f*ck sometimes.

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Feroci
  • Indonesia

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:39 AM

Yeah, its a crime that not many people discussed this show. Many of people probably put off by the first half of the first season.

Top of adult cartoon for me so far.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:55 AM

BoJack Horseman is a cartoon like no other.

I don't know if it necessarily counts as a "cartoon," but Moral Orel has a ton of similarities to Bojack (which isn't surprising when you consider that many of Moral Orel's writers went on to work on Bojack). It also happens to be my favorite animated show of all time, which is probably a big part of why I fell in love with Bojack almost immediately, and why it will likely surpass MO for me before it ends. The latter may have had a similar darkness to it, but it was also still much more of a caricature than Bojack is, so even though I liked the characters they always felt pretty one dimensional even to the end. Bojack's appeal, to me, is how real the characters are; their problems are very easy to sympathize or at least empathize with, and because of that each season is an emotional roller coaster that leaves me drained and longing for more after finishing it.

I can't think of any other scenes in television that are burned into my mind the same way "go to bed, Penny" and "Sarah Lynn?" are.
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

I just watched episode 11 of season 3.

WHY DO COMEDIES MAKE US CRY THE HARDEST?!

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:34 PM Edited by thatstupidbug, 02 March 2017 - 11:51 PM.

I've started to watch this series just recently, because it had great reviews and many positive comments, expecially for season 2 and 3

Well, season 1 was surely "different". I enjoyed it, not the best show around but i started to dig the strange world, the dry comedy with lots of background jokes, the interlaced storyline (with little, funny callbacks) and the weird but interesting characters. It was so strange, yet so "real" sometimes. Plus it was fun, and that's a plus.

Now i'm halfway Season 2, and I'm worried.
The series drifted from reality pretty quickly (a real life Disneyland, a drugged chiken on the loose, a 30-year comatose with a russian spy ecc... it's more like Family Guy), the show fell in love with the "over-explaining" kind of humor, and overall it seems that the "fil rouge" of the second season (the secretariat movie) has been cast aside for the "adventure of the week" kind of storytelling. And finally, i'm laughin a lot less (i know this isn't primary a comedic show and the THEMES are what matters, but still...)

I just need to wait a little longer to see the series getting kickstarted for real, or season 2 is the true quality of bojack horseman?

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Facade Corporation
  • Russia

Posted 4 weeks ago

Here's the trailer for season 4.

• Pat likes this

Ivan1997GTA
  • Ivan1997GTA

Proud to Be Loud

• Facade Corporation
  • Russia

Posted A week ago Edited by Ivan1997GTA, A week ago.

Okay, I know I'm a bit late for this, but I've watched the entirety of the fourth season, and, man, it's just as good as the first three seasons. It's probably just me, but there seems to be more comedy here than in the first three seasons, so comedy and drama felt a bit like 50-50 in this season.

Spoiler

So, what do you think of season 4 of BoJack Horseman?

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago

So I randomly saw a clickbait top 10 video with some of BoJack's best moments. Halfway through I decided to stop the video to not spoil anything else. I'm gonna watch the series myself. It seems unique and very funny.

Gonna watch it in chronolgical order and start tonight.
  • Ivan1997GTA likes this

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 2 days ago

I just finished the first season. Don't judge me :p

Wow. This series is so f*cked up. I thought it's gonna be a funny adult cartoon with some depressing realities here and there but it's the exact opposite. Bojack is such a huge dick and yet I can only sympathise with him. I love the characters of the show and how it's an ongoing series. It's not on the same level as South Park or Family Guy. This is something else.

While South park does reflect on society in realistic ways, it's all just part of the whole south park joke. It's an adult cartoon that is suppossed to make you laugh. Bojack is different, it's very emotional and I didn't expect to get attached to the series so quickly. It's just so real.

It's the perfect mix of drama and humor and the fact that the main character is a horse makes it hillarious.

Episode 11 is my favorite episode of this season. Bojack not being happy with Diana's book just reflects how he can't face his own reality and tries to rewrite the book but he can't. He couldn't burn it either. At the same time, it was funny as hell to see him do drugs to write the book.
But then, the ending scene was a collosal punch right in the dick. Goddamnit. It was jawdropping.

I love this series so much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users