Photo

GTA V vs Red Dead Redemption 2 GRAPHICS

86 replies to this topic
TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:45 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 11 November 2016 - 01:45 AM.

AND ABOUT THAT FANMADE TRAILER CLAIM: yes, editor only captures 720p on console, I can forgive that - but the editor has EXTRA passes and pumped up graphics when rendering, higher quality because it has time because it's not realtime, it's recording and slower per frame rendering - it does NOT look like that in gameplay. =)

The Editor is in real time. It just turns the footage into a video using an encoder. On PC there is an option to enhance graphics but all it does is add extra reflections, and has most effect if you play at low settings. If you play at high settings you barely see a difference.

Rockstar's trailers are very rarely enhanced in terms of graphics. NPC's and props are another story, but definitely not graphics. In fact, GTA IV's first 2 trailers looked horrible compared to the final game, GTA V's first two trailers also looked worse than the final product, and many criticisms were had when some screenshots first released that it looked like IV.

R* is probably one of the only devs who uses real time or semi-real time footage on their trailers.

editor adds extra passes, did in IV, does here, too, it enhances the image, smooths, uses a  few extra instructions in shaders that are only for editor.

Their trailers are rendered on the editor very similarly to how we can make videos in the game.

I actually think IV's first two trailers looked better in a way of my own preference, but I do agree, the end result does look better objectively, I just really liked how certain things looked early on, especially niko himself.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

For all I care, it can look exactly the same as RDRedemption 1. As long as it's as fun to play, or moreso, and has as good a story, or better, than the previous game, I won't worry too much about the graphics. RDR1 is still one of the best looking games I've ever played, and I'm including super-graphic-modded PC games in that. It's all about atmosphere and environment in this franchise and even a downgraded version of what we've seen in the trailer will be absolutely fine by me. 

• saintsrow, jdv95, Android and 4 others like this

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

For all I care, it can look exactly the same as RDRedemption 1. As long as it's as fun to play, or moreso, and has as good a story, or better, than the previous game, I won't worry too much about the graphics. RDR1 is still one of the best looking games I've ever played, and I'm including super-graphic-modded PC games in that. It's all about atmosphere and environment in this franchise and even a downgraded version of what we've seen in the trailer will be absolutely fine by me. 

I'm pretty sure, since it will be a full-on current gen release as opposed to GTA V which still had its last-gen roots when it was released on PS4 and Xbox One, that RDR2 will look as good or even better than GTA V. Especially if it has a smaller map. Eager to see the final product.

• Night Machine likes this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

V was amazing graphically, including the details in the world from first person view. Its perfect for my tastes!
RDR 2 will no doubt be bringing more to those details and visuals, but I was pretty satisfied with V and have no expectations in terms of graphics from RDR 2.
It'll be certainly at par with V for sure, and that's enough for me.
What I do love about open worlds are the details in them like grass, and other things in the environment swaying back and forth with the wind, the leaves falling, campfires, the way dust can be seen in the air at the end of the trailer, fire spreading, the way dog barks, watching the town folks busy in several activities from cattle herding, farming, etc.
Basically, a truly, living and breathing wild west open world.
I don't give a flying f*ck about how much work has gone in making graphics superior, if the world itself looks static, artificial, non-interactive, and feels boring, empty.
In my knowledge, its easy to make the game look beautiful but takes more efforts and processing power to make it interesting with tons of details to explore and interact.

Yep. Just like Mafia 3.

Fan boys really got punked with GTA V. For as we now know, SP turned out to be a beautiful, seductive woman tied up in gift wrapping. You finally got down to removing all that pretty, superficial shiny--only to find she was a figment of your imagination--no substance ever existed....  

• Stannard96 likes this

Gr8
  • Gr8

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:18 AM Edited by Gregers08, 12 November 2016 - 06:20 AM.

It really does look like a prettier version of GTAV which isn't a bad thing at all, but a bit underwhelming if you were expecting something significantly different.

Kind of makes me wonder what they could do at this point to make a similar leap in visuals compared to the leap they made from San andreas to IV. I still say making their games look exactly like if the artwork they make came to life would be a good way to go instead of photo realism. But then again  I could easily see a GTA or Red dead game that looked just like artwork getting a negative reaction initially at least from allot of fans, the same way windwaker did. 

• D T likes this

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:52 AM

It really does look like a prettier version of GTAV which isn't a bad thing at all, but a bit underwhelming if you were expecting something significantly different.

Kind of makes me wonder what they could do at this point to make a similar leap in visuals compared to the leap they made from San andreas to IV. I still say making their games look exactly like if the artwork they make came to life would be a good way to go instead of photo realism. But then again  I could easily see a GTA or Red dead game that looked just like artwork getting a negative reaction initially at least from allot of fans, the same way windwaker did. 

RDR2 looks to be running on a updated version of RAGE that ran GTAV. Only way i could see a dramatic change is if they created a completely new game engine. 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:37 AM

I'm pretty sure, since it will be a full-on current gen release as opposed to GTA V which still had its last-gen roots when it was released on PS4 and Xbox One, that RDR2 will look as good or even better than GTA V. Especially if it has a smaller map. Eager to see the final product.

Yeah, me too, but the point I was making was that it doesn't matter to me whether it does or not. Of course it'll look good, but it doesn't need to in order to be a killer game. 

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:35 PM Edited by one55, 12 November 2016 - 12:36 PM.

i wouldn't compare trailers/screenshots. wait until the game comes out. a lot will change and a lot will be touched up to look better. 

that said, RDR2 will look better for sure than what GTA V does. gta v was developed for PS3/360 which is now 11 years old (360). while the ps4/xb1 are newer they are still outdated and struggle with 1080p 30fps. in 2016 that is just ridiculously weak. however it will definitely give them more freedom and let them push RAGE further. 

it still blows my mind that Red Dead Redemption looked so good on ps3/360. i can't even imagine what RDR2 will ook like on a PS4/Xbox One...or even PC with a RAGE that has been improved over the last 6-7 years. it will be truly beautiful.

Jenia
  • Jenia

I pee like HowToBasic.

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

RDR2 looks to be running on a updated version of RAGE that ran GTAV. Only way i could see a dramatic change is if they created a completely new game engine. 

Considering that they started working on their brand new RAGE when they released GTA SA in 2004 and released GTA IV on 2008, it might be possible but I doubt they spent millions on a new engine rather than updating their current RAGE made for GTA V.

Mas u Sees
  • Mas u Sees

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:12 PM Edited by Mas u Sees, 07 December 2016 - 08:06 PM.

deleted

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:24 PM

I don't know why people believe R* makes trailers using their Editor, they literally can move the camera in the game any time, anywhere, and they do write specific scripts for the trailers. They use the debug and development tools they have. :p But point does stand, it is in-game, in fact, R* is one of the only devs who doesn't do "cinematic" trailers.

• GTAFanClub and DaddyDirection like this

Mas u Sees
  • Mas u Sees

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

I don't know why people believe R* makes trailers using their Editor, they literally can move the camera in the game any time, anywhere, and they do write specific scripts for the trailers. They use the debug and development tools they have. :p But point does stand, it is in-game, in fact, R* is one of the only devs who doesn't do "cinematic" trailers.

Oh, sorry for the missunderstanding.

I did not mean the R* Editor we currently have access to, but rather an enhanced and altered version of it, which also supports camera scripts.

I am pretty sure they use at least some kind of Editor in order to make the Trailers, especially if they have the Toolset for it pretty much already build.

• Spider-Vice likes this

Mac Tonight
  • Mac Tonight

Mac Tonight, breakfast tomorrow.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:00 AM Edited by Mac Tonight, 23 December 2016 - 11:04 AM.

Experience tells me that expecting the game's graphics to be as good as the trailer's graphics is signing yourself up for disappointment. Trailers are supposed to look astonishing and beautiful. Hell, Watch Dogs' trailer sold the game well enough for a sequel and it was a massive flop. What I would expect is graphical quality either slightly or mostly improved compared to current gen GTA V, but with a higher density of foliage and overall world detail. I don't believe that the release of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S will drastically change the graphical quality of the game, but we'll see what Rockstar does with them when the time comes. Hopefully 60fps? Wait, this is a console exclusive AND a Rockstar game, who am I kidding.

FriendlyFireOFF
  • FriendlyFireOFF

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

Be cool if the snow has more texture and be very deep in places next Christmas in RDRO compared to GTAO.

:santa:

• saintsrow likes this

GTAFanClub
  • GTAFanClub

@Bully2Info

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:11 AM

Experience tells me that expecting the game's graphics to be as good as the trailer's graphics is signing yourself up for disappointment. Trailers are supposed to look astonishing and beautiful. Hell, Watch Dogs' trailer sold the game well enough for a sequel and it was a massive flop. What I would expect is graphical quality either slightly or mostly improved compared to current gen GTA V, but with a higher density of foliage and overall world detail. I don't believe that the release of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S will drastically change the graphical quality of the game, but we'll see what Rockstar does with them when the time comes. Hopefully 60fps? Wait, this is a console exclusive AND a Rockstar game, who am I kidding.

I never seen a Rockstar trailer that looked better than the actual game (Graphics wise).

• Stannard96 likes this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:15 AM Edited by Jabalous, 24 December 2016 - 07:28 AM.

Actually, a debut trailer for a Rockstar game can noticeably look worse graphics-wise than the media released later. Look at Redemption's reveal trailer below and compare it to the trailers released later, or even the final game.

I'm not using this as an evidence that Redemption 2 will look better than its reveal trailer, but just to show that Rockstar is one of the few honest developers that show you what you are going to get. Sometimes they would improve things a bit like in the trailer above, and in a few occasions, things might get toned down a bit because of hardware limitations and not for marketing schemes as I believe.

• Darrel, GourangaMaster and Stannard96 like this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

Rockstar literally doesn't do renders. The V trailer 1 had more detail but not better graphics, just things that change over development. Not to mention that we know RDR2 has been in development since at least 2014, so all that stuff should be pretty much decided by now, and V was still almost in its beginnings (of full development) when it was revealed.

• GourangaMaster and Roger Cheeto like this

Mac Tonight
  • Mac Tonight

Mac Tonight, breakfast tomorrow.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

I never seen a Rockstar trailer that looked better than the actual game (Graphics wise).

I don't think you've seen one of Rockstar's trailers period.

• Stannard96 likes this

IG_
  • IG_

Peon

• Members
  • Abkhazia

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:52 AM Edited by IG_, 25 December 2016 - 06:53 AM.

I disagree. I disagree with this notion that exists in the gaming community saying "graphics don't matter so long as it's fun to play!"

I will be pretty annoyed if it literally hasn't improved since RDR1. RDR1 was a very pretty game for its time, it still looks nice, but it definitely looks dated now.
Good graphics are part of the immersion and if RDR2 won't improve on the graphics it won't improve on an aspect that is key to improving immersion.
But you know, there's not a chance in hell Rockstar won't improve on this game visually, they most certainly will.

And I'm not trying to say graphics are the only important thing, because good graphics don't matter if the gameplay sucks. But at the same time, gameplay is greatly hurt if the graphics don't improve. Good graphics and good gameplay is important.

• Darrel, Turan and BurnettVice like this

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

Personally, I'd be happy with RDR looking the same as V, maybe up the AA a tiny bit, but just focus on making the world feel more real, GTA V still looks good.

• Roger Cheeto likes this

D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

gta-5-trailer-1-hikers-making-the-climb.
  • anthony likes this

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

GTAV= Style over substance

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:33 AM

gta-5-trailer-1-hikers-making-the-climb.

I still cant believe theres a highway right in front of them...We were f*cking played. lol

• Jabalous, D T, anthony and 6 others like this

rollschuh2282
  • rollschuh2282

Grove street for life !!!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:25 AM

i hope rockstar will heavy improve the euphoria physics.

and i hope rockstar will bring it to Pc, unlike red dead redemption (1).

Android
  • Android

Oreo

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

i wouldn't compare trailers/screenshots. wait until the game comes out. a lot will change and a lot will be touched up to look better. 

We learned this lesson with GTA V. Just compare the first trailer to the first screens, and then compare all of that to the final game. I think Rockstar will really deliver with RDR2 in terms of graphics, though. Look at how they improved GTA V with the CG release. Looks loads better than LG, and that was their first major release on these newer consoles as well. I am sure RDR2 will be taken to a whole new level.

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:57 AM

RDR 2 is suppose look better it's a going 2017 game.

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

I have a weird feeling that there's going to be more than one default option of graphics settings, given that the game is supposed to work across two different systems for both platforms, specifically PS4/Pro and XB1/Scorpio.

What we're seeing in the trailer may be authentic in-game footage. Only time will tell. I think it looks better than GTA V at ultra PC settings.

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

I think RDR2 will look like the trailer on PS4 Pro and Scorpio, maybe not the base consoles but definitly the upgraded ones. 

Yeah, but if u do this same video with PS4 GTA V and the trailer below, you will get the same differences graphically, though RDR has some tweaks, they won't make it to the final. What we see in this trailer is everything they can even show right now without showing how unfinished it basically is at this point - same with GTA trailers.

GTA V next gen trailer basically had all these shiny looks, too:

End result, PC looked the best, and VERY close to that sure, but even it didn't look like that. And the PS4 (which it claimed to be captured on) did not look anything close to that - I own it, I know how it really looks, both PC and PS4.

If RDR2 and GTAV"supposedly PS4" trailer were 4k, then scaled down, maybe that is why, but the game does not look anything like that trailer @1080p PS4, and 1080p maxed PC, and RDR2 won't either.

My game on PS4 looks like the trailer, dunno wtf you're talkning about, PC version also looks better than that trailer.

Theres capture mode now. Try to remake that on PS4 lol

• anthony and TheHumanIsland like this

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:52 AM Edited by yeahmantiptap, 10 February 2017 - 09:01 AM.

The trailer look like RDR, which is good. I mean GTA 5 in term of graphics is not that good, whether is on PC or NG, there is not any huge forest, you cannot see the grass from far away, some places in the country side are like f*cking empty. Nothing like the RDR 2 trailer, updated RAGE engine from GTA 5 only because its their last game, anyway if you compare RDR / GTA 5 on 360, Red dead just rape GTA 5.

I would be happy even if RDR2 is a little bit more good than Redemption. I just hope they're not going to stay on the same road than GTA5.

• tonko likes this

Isko1996
  • Isko1996

Player Hater

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

The trailer look like RDR, which is good. I mean GTA 5 in term of graphics is not that good, whether is on PC or NG, there is not any huge forest, you cannot see the grass from far away, some places in the country side are like f*cking empty. Nothing like the RDR 2 trailer, updated RAGE engine from GTA 5 only because its their last game, anyway if you compare RDR / GTA 5 on 360, Red dead just rape GTA 5.

I would be happy even if RDR2 is a little bit more good than Redemption. I just hope they're not going to stay on the same road than GTA5.

Lol i suggest you to visit doctor to get your eyes or brain checked. Graphics on PC are definitely great, especially during night running at very high with FXAA which kinda blurrs image but still, i agree with forest though but theres not many in SoCal, i actually can see vegetation from far away but its not that of great draw distance it would probably eat 5 fps. Looking at RDR2's graphics they dont look much better than V, even vegetation looks the same except theres more grass on RDR2, draw distance and lightng look simmilar, shading looks a bit better in RDR2, character models and animals look pretty much like in V, when its raining and storming as seen late in trailer it looks like V's weather.

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

I dont understand what youre saying...GTAV doesnt look as good because the forests arent as dense as in the trailer? Well they are different maps you know? We're just comparing the GRAPHICS not tree density. The graphics are not that much better than GTAV

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users