GTA V vs Red Dead Redemption 2 GRAPHICS

86 replies to this topic
XgenDaNcEs
  • XgenDaNcEs

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

RDR 2 looks alot like a polished up GTA V in my opinion. I recorded this video trying to compare the two games side by side. 

• saintsrow, -Quantum-, Kirsty and 14 others like this

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:13 AM

Best not to compare the trailer graphics. Not to sound cynical but the actual graphics aren't gonna be  that good.

• Fuzzknuckles, kietotheworld, Matty and 15 others like this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:24 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 21 October 2016 - 05:29 AM.

Yeah, but if u do this same video with PS4 GTA V and the trailer below, you will get the same differences graphically, though RDR has some tweaks, they won't make it to the final. What we see in this trailer is everything they can even show right now without showing how unfinished it basically is at this point - same with GTA trailers.

GTA V next gen trailer basically had all these shiny looks, too:

End result, PC looked the best, and VERY close to that sure, but even it didn't look like that. And the PS4 (which it claimed to be captured on) did not look anything close to that - I own it, I know how it really looks, both PC and PS4.

If RDR2 and GTAV"supposedly PS4" trailer were 4k, then scaled down, maybe that is why, but the game does not look anything like that trailer @1080p PS4, and 1080p maxed PC, and RDR2 won't either.

First trailer also has way more shinies than actual release had:

moral of the story: expect it to be amazing, but don't expect it to look like this teaser, not even on PC.

• anthony, Wu-Tang Forever, stjimmy3 and 6 others like this

dooshtoomun
  • dooshtoomun

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

Jesus f*ck, the scene with Trevor and the cow cracked me up for some reason

• Wu-Tang Forever, -Kaas, Roger Cheeto and 10 others like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

V was amazing graphically, including the details in the world from first person view. Its perfect for my tastes!
RDR 2 will no doubt be bringing more to those details and visuals, but I was pretty satisfied with V and have no expectations in terms of graphics from RDR 2.
It'll be certainly at par with V for sure, and that's enough for me.
What I do love about open worlds are the details in them like grass, and other things in the environment swaying back and forth with the wind, the leaves falling, campfires, the way dust can be seen in the air at the end of the trailer, fire spreading, the way dog barks, watching the town folks busy in several activities from cattle herding, farming, etc.
Basically, a truly, living and breathing wild west open world.
I don't give a flying f*ck about how much work has gone in making graphics superior, if the world itself looks static, artificial, non-interactive, and feels boring, empty.
In my knowledge, its easy to make the game look beautiful but takes more efforts and processing power to make it interesting with tons of details to explore and interact.
  • saintsrow, uptownrockstar, Wu-Tang Forever and 12 others like this

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

The colour is pretty similar. But the visuals and details are no doubt a lot better.
  • Murray Bunyan likes this

Wu-Tang Forever
  • Wu-Tang Forever

Everybody lies. No exceptions.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:40 PM

Nice video! Now you've made me wanna load up GTA V and go exploring the countryside.

And yeah, I wouldn't expect the final game to look exactly like this trailer, whether the final graphics are better or worse. Video game companies (not just Rockstar) spruce up trailers and screenshots all the time, and maaaybe the PC version will look as good, but the console versions will look inferior to whatever was shown off. In RDR2's case, if it doesn't look that much better than GTA V on XB1 or PC, I'll be totally fine with that, as V is a gorgeous looking game. Either way, RDR2 looking amazing is a safe bet, I think.

• saintsrow likes this

JumpingKentFlash
  • JumpingKentFlash

Homeboy

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:37 PM

That part where the protagonist sits by the campfire with that BEAUTIFUL sky above is simply breathtaking.
  • saintsrow likes this

InfiniteTias
  • InfiniteTias

Trick

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:28 PM Edited by InfiniteTias, 21 October 2016 - 02:29 PM.

I think RDR2 will look like the trailer on PS4 Pro and Scorpio, maybe not the base consoles but definitly the upgraded ones. 

Yeah, but if u do this same video with PS4 GTA V and the trailer below, you will get the same differences graphically, though RDR has some tweaks, they won't make it to the final. What we see in this trailer is everything they can even show right now without showing how unfinished it basically is at this point - same with GTA trailers.

End result, PC looked the best, and VERY close to that sure, but even it didn't look like that. And the PS4 (which it claimed to be captured on) did not look anything close to that - I own it, I know how it really looks, both PC and PS4.

If RDR2 and GTAV"supposedly PS4" trailer were 4k, then scaled down, maybe that is why, but the game does not look anything like that trailer @1080p PS4, and 1080p maxed PC, and RDR2 won't either.

My game on PS4 looks like the trailer, dunno wtf you're talkning about, PC version also looks better than that trailer.

• GourangaMaster and stjimmy3 like this

joe1606
  • joe1606

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

I suggest you to watch the Executives&Other Criminals trailer on the main rockstargames channel and to watch the same trailer but on the others channel (RockstargamesFR or GB for example). For some reason on the main channel, they didn't set the lighting/color adjustements they use in most of their trailers.

Comparaison :

Spoiler

Chekoloco
  • Chekoloco

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

RDR2 it´s the first game that Rockstar is making for new generation consoles, so yes; the graphics will be amazing and better than GTA V.

I´m guessing how the graphics will be in GTA VI, it will be epic! I love Rockstar for that, they are awesome!

• saintsrow likes this

Hunter
  • Hunter

Hunter civil rights activist

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:43 PM Edited by Icantthinkofonew, 21 October 2016 - 05:44 PM.

I like how at 0:12-0:14 a whole bunch of trees/foliage just disappears in the GTA clip.

To me, the graphics look like GTA V on steroids. I think the trailer's really impressive. I just hope that the standard, non-Pro PS4 and normal Xbox One can recreate those. If we're already having to replace our consoles, then this cycle hasn't lasted long enough in my opinion.

• FilipCRO and DaddyDirection like this

fsociety
  • fsociety

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Unknown

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:10 PM

I like how at 0:12-0:14 a whole bunch of trees/foliage just disappears in the GTA clip.

To me, the graphics look like GTA V on steroids. I think the trailer's really impressive. I just hope that the standard, non-Pro PS4 and normal Xbox One can recreate those. If we're already having to replace our consoles, then this cycle hasn't lasted long enough in my opinion.

I read somewhere that the trailer was recorded on PRO. But anyways the graphic are advancing like any other game that comes out mid-end cycle of consoles; but PS4 live along side Pro, doesn't replace just a Update. 

Original Light
  • Original Light

You Float Like a Feather

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

RDR2 wins by far. GTA V is a last-gen game that was simply polished up for next-gen, so this is to be expected. Not to say that GTA V doesn't look good, but RDR2 was specifically designed for next generation consoles and fully takes advantage of their available resources. 

• GourangaMaster, LonerStoner97, Pastry and 2 others like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

A 2017 game has better graphics and lighting than a 2013 game.

Who woulda guessed?
  • Original Light, FreshPots, Pastry and 3 others like this

CaptainMental
  • CaptainMental

Criminal Mastermind

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

It makes sense the graphics will be somewhat better than GTAV.

Look at the development.

PS2: San Andreas had slightly better graphics than Vice City which had a lot better graphics than III

PS3: GTAV had a lot better graphics than IV

EVOLUT7ON
  • EVOLUT7ON

#BeMyValentine & #BIKERS snapmatic contests winner

• The Connection
  • United-States
  • Best Funny [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Runner-Up

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:51 PM Edited by EVOLUT7ON, 21 October 2016 - 09:54 PM.

I think RDR2 will look like the trailer on PS4 Pro and Scorpio, maybe not the base consoles but definitly the upgraded ones. 

Spoiler

My game on PS4 looks like the trailer, dunno wtf you're talkning about, PC version also looks better than that trailer.

Exactly. For me it has the same
One note: zoom and contrast make all deal :) Plus scripted scenes with NPCs  add more life-looking views and experince to the trailer.
Sorry, R* Editor can capture only 720p, because it was made on PS4

• Lock N' Stock likes this

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:48 PM Edited by nkjellman, 21 October 2016 - 10:57 PM.

To be honest, the graphics in that trailer do look better than GTA V, but the thing is, the trailer looks about as good as the current gen trailer for GTA V.

There will be downgrades in the final game. I don't think the lighting and shaders will look very much different from GTA V. Regarding the forest, that will be better than the one in GTA V. It will have more foliage as seen in the trailer.

Technically, I would consider GTA V on current gen to be comparable to a 2014 current gen game as I believe Rockstar was developing it along side last gen. Since the releases of the last gen version, current gen version, and the current gen consoles, they wouldn't of just made it solely for last gen, then port it to current. But I do believe that the fact that the game started on last gen did affect the content in the game though. For example, the trees in the Paleto Forest. Adding trees would have changed the gameplay, so they kept that the same as last gen. But as far as the engine is concerned, I can't just say that the current gen/PC versions of GTA V are just a remaster of an old gen game. Especially considering the fact that GTA Online started getting massive updates once the updates stopped coming for last gen. They did more than just updated the graphics. Last gen was really was a downgraded version of the game.

It is likely that they could improve some things graphically though.

-We could see more objects in the puddles like the horses, carriages, and peds. That was a problem in GTA V, where vehicles, peds, and props didn't show up.

-I would say that we will see less ugly pixelated dithering on distant objects, but according to game developer logic, dithering creates the illusion of more detail on distant objects, so ugly ass dithering will most likely still exist in RDR 2 unfortunately.

-I feel like branches will bend and sway more.

-When you walk through water, I believe that the water displacement from the character will be 3d like in most current gen games. Unfortunately GTA V lacks this. (Also, in the hope that RDR 2 will allow you to swim, and that the boat from the trailer will be a usable method of transportation.)

-Due to the time period the game is set in, the allocation of resources can be distributed differently. So things could look a tad better in the country now that they don't have Los Santos to worry about. Since there are less shiny reflective cars and buildings, they will be able to make reflections on the things that are reflective look a little better.

-I believe that hair on characters will improve. For example, in many current gen games, the hair physics for long hair is definitely improved, and this is one thing that GTA V is missing. RDR 2 could improve on this.

I guess what I am trying to say is, yes there will be improvement in RDR 2 over GTA V on the respective consoles, but I don't see the improvement being as big as it was between GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption 1 judging by the trailer. I also don't expect the star field to look like that in the final game. In my opinion, it looks a little exaggerated, and I believe that they spruced it up for the trailer.

• EVOLUT7ON, otachi and TheHumanIsland like this

TheHumanIsland
  • TheHumanIsland

See The Eye

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:16 AM Edited by TheHumanIsland, 22 October 2016 - 01:19 AM.

No, your game does not look like that on your PS4. Dunno wtf you're talking about. All that grass when trevor stands up... that's pC setting ultra. Not very high. And console uses High. Not very high, not ultra. More like that. You watch that vid in 1080p, on your TV, and then go look at your game. Even with youtube compression, it looks better.

That is not to say the game is not great, it is. But it does not look like that on PS4, and only ALMOST looks like that on PC, I own both, I max out on PC, I know what it looks like. It does not look like that. 

AND ABOUT THAT FANMADE TRAILER CLAIM: yes, editor only captures 720p on console, I can forgive that - but the editor has EXTRA passes and pumped up graphics when rendering, higher quality because it has time because it's not realtime, it's recording and slower per frame rendering - it does NOT look like that in gameplay. =)

You know it, I know it for a fact.

• DeeDogg_ likes this

Kafonix
  • Kafonix

Furry pride!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:23 AM

I think that graphics-wise, the V trailers definitely showed what we actually got, I'd say V on PC looks better than its trailer even.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:28 AM

AND ABOUT THAT FANMADE TRAILER CLAIM: yes, editor only captures 720p on console, I can forgive that - but the editor has EXTRA passes and pumped up graphics when rendering, higher quality because it has time because it's not realtime, it's recording and slower per frame rendering - it does NOT look like that in gameplay. =)

The Editor is in real time. It just turns the footage into a video using an encoder. On PC there is an option to enhance graphics but all it does is add extra reflections, and has most effect if you play at low settings. If you play at high settings you barely see a difference.

Rockstar's trailers are very rarely enhanced in terms of graphics. NPC's and props are another story, but definitely not graphics. In fact, GTA IV's first 2 trailers looked horrible compared to the final game, GTA V's first two trailers also looked worse than the final product, and many criticisms were had when some screenshots first released that it looked like IV.

R* is probably one of the only devs who uses real time or semi-real time footage on their trailers.
  • Jestic, Jabalous, EVOLUT7ON and 3 others like this

Joemoetoe
  • Joemoetoe

Champion of the Amazons

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

I was hoping for that many cars to appear on a road at once like in the trailer

PartyNextDoor
  • PartyNextDoor

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:08 PM

I don't really think it matters if RDR 2's graphics look just as good as GTA V's graphics. The graphics on GTA 5 for PS4/XB1 were technically remastered while RDR 2 is being developed on current gen so the developers have the freedom to enhance visuals and they've been working on it for quite some time. They might just focus on the game engine this time around as the visuals aren't really an issue. Worse case scenario is that we get the same graphics as GTA V with a little more detail. I don't really think anyone can complain about that. I'm sure RDR 2 on the PS4 Pro is gonna look just as good as the trailer's visuals or even better. It may look even better on the Xbox Scorpio. I'm sticking with PlayStation though. 

• Fuzzknuckles and LokDog like this

tonko
  • tonko

sgt. Handsome

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:38 AM

I don't really think it matters if RDR 2's graphics look just as good as GTA V's graphics. The graphics on GTA 5 for PS4/XB1 were technically remastered while RDR 2 is being developed on current gen so the developers have the freedom to enhance visuals and they've been working on it for quite some time. They might just focus on the game engine this time around as the visuals aren't really an issue. Worse case scenario is that we get the same graphics as GTA V with a little more detail. I don't really think anyone can complain about that. I'm sure RDR 2 on the PS4 Pro is gonna look just as good as the trailer's visuals or even better. It may look even better on the Xbox Scorpio. I'm sticking with PlayStation though. 

What he said.

• Fuzzknuckles and Osho like this

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

IMO, RDR will be better. latest hardware, and more focus on vegetation and surroundings as apposed to vehicles bits and bobs. 

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

The Infidel

• Members
  • Falkland-Islands

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:42 PM Edited by Street Mix, 24 October 2016 - 02:43 PM.

and many criticisms were had when some screenshots first released that it looked like IV.

The earliest screens looked way better than IV. Vanilla IV.

• DeeDogg_ likes this

PartyNextDoor
  • PartyNextDoor

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

IMO, RDR will be better. latest hardware, and more focus on vegetation and surroundings as apposed to vehicles bits and bobs. 

That's so true now that I think about it. There won't be any cars,motorcycles,buses,taxis etc taking up memory. Maybe that's why RDR 1 looked so good. It gives the developers more freedom to take advantage of the GPU. 

Isko1996
  • Isko1996

Player Hater

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

Seems like engine is same like GTA V, with slightly better detail and it looks like they use brown wild western like filter if you know what i mean. Also there seem to be more vegetation too. Difference is minimal tbh, GTA V looked great, especially best on PC. 

Smoov_Operator
  • Smoov_Operator

Special place in hell for me and it's called a throne.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

I did not even know there was a video. cool.

Night Machine
  • Night Machine

1980's Time Traveler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:58 PM

I'm sure RDR2 will be graphically better than GTAV on the new gen.  GTAV was designed for last gen consoles and then enhanced & re-released for the new gen. RDR2 is going to be entirely designed for new gen taking full advantage of their capability.  So I'm sure it will be far more realistic than GTAV.      

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users