Photo

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

984 replies to this topic
DuPz0r
  • DuPz0r

BushkaUK

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by DuPz0r, A week ago.

Firstly and foremost, This isn't my main map, and i will still be working on that based purely on visuals not leaks. But i decided however, to create a version of the leaked map to see how our own findings match up to it, as well as to make a clean version to see properly the landmass and water without all the mess of land territory zones etc.

So, in theory, this is how much of the map we have seen from the trailers and screenshots, not including the odd shots which haven't been established (town, etc.)
GT76n7g.jpg
Full Size: https://i.imgur.com/12t26XA.jpg

And this is the map's landmass as a whole...
YZtBRvk.jpg
Full Size: https://i.imgur.com/M9THLXi.jpg

As you can see, even that huge open shot hasnt shown us the entire map which some people were complaining about. The scale is bigger than it seems.

Original:
mKW383u.jpg
  • alz, Spider-Vice, Efreet and 25 others like this

Dee.
  • Dee.

GTAV= Style over substance

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

nice work, man!

Dick Justice
  • Dick Justice

Gangsta

• Members

Posted A week ago

Quick question - have any of you marvellous souls figured out exactly how wide the Dakota River is? Will it be a small river that we can cross on horseback or a large map divider like the river between New Austin and Neuvo Pariso? 

I didn't like the GTAV map being open from the start so I'm hoping for the latter. 

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Pink Pineapple, A week ago.

Quick question - have any of you marvellous souls figured out exactly how wide the Dakota River is? Will it be a small river that we can cross on horseback or a large map divider like the river between New Austin and Neuvo Pariso? 

I didn't like the GTAV map being open from the start so I'm hoping for the latter. 

Here is a size comparison made by alz.

http://gtaforums.com...entry1069162700

E2niJ2P.png

• Dick Justice, Dee. and Hunter S. Compton like this

Dick Justice
  • Dick Justice

Gangsta

• Members

Posted A week ago

So it looks about as wide as the river from RDR. It'll all depend on whether Arthur can swim. We already know there are canoes. Maybe they'll do a GTAIV/San Andreas situation where you can get across but are immediately met by heavy resistance. 

Hunter S. Compton
  • Hunter S. Compton

That's the paradox, John. You see?

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago

So it looks about as wide as the river from RDR. It'll all depend on whether Arthur can swim. We already know there are canoes. Maybe they'll do a GTAIV/San Andreas situation where you can get across but are immediately met by heavy resistance. 

Maybe you're heavily wanted in that region, and the river serves as some kind of State Line! And you need to wait for the heat to die down before you can go into those areas...

As Dutch would put it you have to wait for them to find another monster to justify their wages. Maybe that monster is Dutch, and the laws pays less attention to old Arthur Morgan.

• Cozzi likes this

Jackiboy
  • Jackiboy

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by Jackiboy, A week ago.

Maybe you're heavily wanted in that region, and the river serves as some kind of State Line! And you need to wait for the heat to die down before you can go into those areas...

As Dutch would put it you have to wait for them to find another monster to justify their wages. Maybe that monster is Dutch, and the laws pays less attention to old Arthur Morgan.

In Red Dead Redemption you couldn't cross the river until "The Assault on Fort Mercer" had been completed. But not just that, the map kind of directed you where to go, which also meant that the map felt so much bigger. I hope R* will do the same with Red Dead Redemption 2. Also that's not a dumb theory. However I don't see in what way the Dakota River could serve as a stateline, as the remaining map on the other side of it only consists of mountains and no towns. Personally I just think they will try to guide you throughout the map instead. Or perhaps a smaller mission to cross a bridge or something.

Edit: This worked much better in the first RDR because the state line was in the center of the map, which makes splitting the map more fitting.

• Hunter S. Compton likes this

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted A week ago

Here is a size comparison made by alz.

http://gtaforums.com...entry1069162700

E2niJ2P.png
Looks to be about the same size as GTAIV so.. which is huge considering there are no cars etc.

Hunter S. Compton
  • Hunter S. Compton

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago

In Red Dead Redemption you couldn't cross the river until "The Assault on Fort Mercer" had been completed. But not just that, the map kind of directed you where to go, which also meant that the map felt so much bigger. I hope R* will do the same with Red Dead Redemption 2. Also that's not a dumb theory. However I don't see in what way the Dakota River could serve as a stateline, as the remaining map on the other side of it only consists of mountains and no towns. Personally I just think they will try to guide you throughout the map instead. Or perhaps a smaller mission to cross a bridge or something.

Edit: This worked much better in the first RDR because the state line was in the center of the map, which makes splitting the map more fitting.

Well maybe not a state line proper but some sort of greater jurisdictional boundary. I see what you're saying though about the lack of content, but at the start of red dead you never really go anywhere but between McFarlane ranch and Armadillo for a while and there is Strawberry and Blackwater as something of an analogue. I could definitely imagine the intro to this consisting of just hiding out in the mountains and Big Valley for a while. Maybe tracking down small time folks who owe you money to get by, like the guy he kicks in the trailer.

zanpancan
  • zanpancan

Why are we here, just to suffer...FOX!!!!..DIE&#

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Quick question for you guys, why do the grid columns in the leaked map start with 'i' rater than 'a'?

• Neudd likes this

DuPz0r
  • DuPz0r

BushkaUK

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by DuPz0r, A week ago.

Quick question for you guys, why do the grid columns in the leaked map start with 'i' rater than 'a'?

That's an interesting point. R* normally centre their sandboxes in the game space then use the outside space for hidden interiors and unconnected maps (North Yankton for example).

So maybe it's something to do with that. If the leak is real, it wasnt meant to be a finished map for the public so it shows game space grid.

zanpancan
  • zanpancan

Why are we here, just to suffer...FOX!!!!..DIE&#

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by zanpancan, A week ago.

That's an interesting point. R* normally centre their sandboxes in the game space then use the outside space for hidden interiors and unconnected maps (North Yankton for example).

So maybe it's something to do with that. If the leak is real, it wasnt meant to be a finished map for the public so it shows game space grid.

Huh, thanks. My idea was that there could be more to the map then what we see in the leaked map (assuming it is real). There still appears to be a portion of the map (even tough it LOOKS 'small') that we haven't seen yet hinted at by the rather straight cut through the map and the oddly positioned 'mexico' (it could just be the layout of another north yankton but who knows)

Hunter S. Compton
  • Hunter S. Compton

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago

Huh, thanks. My idea was that there could be more to the map then what we see in the leaked map (assuming it is real). There still appears to be a portion of the map (even tough it LOOKS 'small') that we haven't seen yet hinted at by the rather straight cut through the map and the oddly positioned 'mexico' (it could just be the layout of another north yankton but who knows)

I'd say it's probably a North yankton type deal. Also given that it's an island, I posit that it might not be Mexico at all, but instead maybe Cuba.

highzman420
  • highzman420

IM NOT HYPE, IM OBSESSED

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Cuba?..

Hunter S. Compton
  • Hunter S. Compton

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago

Cuba?..

cuba

• StJimmy likes this

DarkFlame588
  • DarkFlame588

Yellow Horse

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Assuming the train lines work like in RDR with the Mexico and West Elizabeth larger loops opening up with the map, that whole north end looks to be some of the last unlocked area. I assume we won't have access to it until later in the game.

As for the rest of the tracks, I'm not sure how those will work out.

highzman420
  • highzman420

IM NOT HYPE, IM OBSESSED

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Cuba?..

cuba
There was a western influence in Cuba? Or do you say that just because it appears to be a island?

alz
  • alz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted A week ago

You don't want the origin of your world (0,0,0) to be the corner of the world.  So don't make A0 the center of the world.  Then you're dealing with negative numbers and letters when discussing locations on a project's developer map.

Instead, start in the middle of something with the assumption or limitation it can't get bigger than X for memory reasons.  In this case make the center of the world the middle of the alphabet... roughly speaking M-11.

Now you can build outwards many streaming cells before you reach 0-zero or A-alphabet.  All world data can be balanced over an engine's 0,0,0 worldspace center coordinates minimizing floating point drift errors or other edge cases.

(So there's two ideas here... when producing + planning a world, avoid negative values.  When building a world make the technical center of the world 0,0,0, balancing position data to smaller digit lengths)

Hunter S. Compton
  • Hunter S. Compton

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago

Cuba?..

cuba
There was a western influence in Cuba? Or do you say that just because it appears to be a island?

Mostly because it's an island. As for influence, the period is the period. I don't think New Orleans is traditionally considered a western setting but you throw horses and repeating rifles and dusty boots around and it will feel like a fun authentic cowboy experience.

Hunter S. Compton
  • Hunter S. Compton

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago

Having done a little more research, there was apparently quite a lot of civil strife at the time; the prevailing government nakedly rigged an election in 1905, leading to an armed rebellion in August 1906. A month later, the US military moved in to occupy the country (google "second occupation of Cuba"). This was apparently welcomed. I'd say that if it is Cuba, that we will either be there briefly in the tumultuous period between the election and the revolt, during the revolt itself, or just stealing from the US government during the occupation (which would certainly line up with Dutch's philosophy of violence).

I officially believe it to be Cuba. I'm going with that.

• zachsterosu likes this

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Its the heartlands. So no. Its not f*cking Cuba

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted A week ago Edited by lxr, A week ago.

You don't want the origin of your world (0,0,0) to be the corner of the world.  So don't make A0 the center of the world.  Then you're dealing with negative numbers and letters when discussing locations on a project's developer map.

Instead, start in the middle of something with the assumption or limitation it can't get bigger than X for memory reasons.  In this case make the center of the world the middle of the alphabet... roughly speaking M-11.

Now you can build outwards many streaming cells before you reach 0-zero or A-alphabet.  All world data can be balanced over an engine's 0,0,0 worldspace center coordinates minimizing floating point drift errors or other edge cases.

(So there's two ideas here... when producing + planning a world, avoid negative values.  When building a world make the technical center of the world 0,0,0, balancing position data to smaller digit lengths)

In the end, it doesn't matter much. For example, GTA V's 0,0 is on Spanish Ave, between Alta St and Las Lagunas Blvd (link). But I think it's safe to assume that there is still a bit of RDR2 map in row G, and maybe F.
  • Cozzi likes this

highzman420
  • highzman420

IM NOT HYPE, IM OBSESSED

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Idk, whether it's Cuba or another part of Mexico, all i ask is that we at least get a taste and I'm happy.
  • Hunter S. Compton likes this

Hunter S. Compton
  • Hunter S. Compton

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago Edited by Hunter S. Compton, A week ago.

It has a bayou. So no. It's not f*cking heartlands.

Besides, North Yankton isn't exactly close to LA buddy.

And if we're still going with the map being real, and we're still going with East Texas and Louisiana for the setting, it'd be a pretty brief jaunt to the gulf of Mexico, and then Cuba. In fact, Mexico and Cuba are about equidistant.
142158-004-3AF5E7B4.jpg

• Meekail, StJimmy and highzman420 like this

Mr. Jabe
  • Mr. Jabe

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by Mr. Jabe, A week ago.

Cuba?..

cuba

Cuba??? You Havana laugh!?  ;)

Edit: But yeah, some sort of Central/South America location would make sense going off of certain Western films!!

• Pink Pineapple and Hunter S. Compton like this

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

And if we're still going with the map being real, and we're still going with East Texas and Louisiana for the setting, it'd be a pretty brief jaunt to the gulf of Mexico, and then Cuba. In fact, Mexico and Cuba are about equidistant.
142158-004-3AF5E7B4.jpg

...you know Rockstar themselves stated that the game is set in "Americas vast and unforgiving Heartland"? So do you somehow knoe more about the games location than them? What a dumb ass reply...

BöömBäpper
  • BöömBäpper

SLAM TÖTTÖÖDÖÖ TÖTTÖÖDÖÖ LET THE BOYS BE BOYS

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted A week ago Edited by BöömBäpper, A week ago.

...you know Rockstar themselves stated that the game is set in "Americas vast and unforgiving Heartland"? So do you somehow knoe more about the games location than them? What a dumb ass reply...

There is small caribbean island in the leaked map. 

Probably used the same way as north yankton in gta V.

yyDaBAJ.jpg

• Meekail and Cozzi like this

Hunter S. Compton
  • Hunter S. Compton

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago Edited by Hunter S. Compton, A week ago.

There is small caribbean island in the leaked map. 

Probably used the same way as north yankton in gta V.

yyDaBAJ.jpg

^^

"The heartland" refers to states that don't touch an ocean. Texas and Louisiana (where New Orleans is, which has an analog in game) are not heartland states because they both border ocean. That being said, if it takes place in areas that don't touch the ocean, it could still be referred to as being "the heartland."

Again... carribean island... Cuba... I don't know what the hell is wrong with you. I'm not talking about the whole game here.

• Meekail and Cozzi like this

SeniorDerp
  • SeniorDerp

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Having done a little more research, there was apparently quite a lot of civil strife at the time; the prevailing government nakedly rigged an election in 1905, leading to an armed rebellion in August 1906. A month later, the US military moved in to occupy the country (google "second occupation of Cuba"). This was apparently welcomed. I'd say that if it is Cuba, that we will either be there briefly in the tumultuous period between the election and the revolt, during the revolt itself, or just stealing from the US government during the occupation (which would certainly line up with Dutch's philosophy of violence).

I officially believe it to be Cuba. I'm going with that.

Very interesting. The Second Occupation of Cuba time (1906-) fits perfect into the time RDR2 will likely take place. 

• Cozzi likes this

Dee.
  • Dee.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Oops. My bad. Should be a bit more clear next time

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 1 anonymous users