Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

1,066 replies to this topic
Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

That leaked map doesnt have a train line but there is a train present in the trailer.

Wot!? It says "railrod" and goes all over the leaked map. I mean everything is quite accurate to the leaked map, so if the leaked map was fake then Rockstar trying to make the leaked map look real in this trailer. That I find unlikely.

In the FAKE leaked map and the cleaned up FAKE map the rail roads don't connect. Sure they could be separate due to mountains but they also made tunnels back then so that's another reason why I think it's not the real map. They should connect so people and goods can get from town to town.

Too bad Mexico isn't in. Liked the diversity of the first RDR. So based on all your findings the leaked map is indeed real. And all footage was from the heartland(s)? 

Don't be so quick to judgement. We haven't seen everything yet. I believe Mexico will be bigger and better than RDR1.

• ryuclan likes this

🇯🇲🇯🇲🇯🇲

• BUSTED!
  • Jamaica
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

In the FAKE leaked map and the cleaned up FAKE map the rail roads don't connect.

What are you talking about? They clearly do. The yellow line is the railroad.

http://i.imgur.com/KHO85OP.jpg
  • Metalz likes this

Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

In the FAKE leaked map and the cleaned up FAKE map the rail roads don't connect.

What are you talking about? They clearly do. The yellow line is the railroad.

http://i.imgur.com/KHO85OP.jpg

My bad. I mean't the map that tacks the original RDR map on the south west corner of this one. I will get on the same page as everyone else or shut up.  :/

lorigta
  • lorigta

Crackhead

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

Farmer and the rocks:

rockstar_farmer_background_1920x1200.jpg

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:14 PM Edited by USAPatriot, 20 October 2016 - 07:18 PM.

In the tree shots, around mountains, it reminded me of the inland Northwest, such as Idaho, Wyoming, Montana.

Some parts reminded me of Washington and Oregon, but I feel I am too far north.  Other environmental scenes were clearly farther south.

I'm thinking realistically this will be on the eastern side of the Rockies.  

Dee.
  • Dee.

Happy Holidays!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

They are the same lamp?
GNku9kT.jpg

c6OAK8Q.jpg

Leaked map IS real then. I knew it.

And people saying that they can find that house in West Elizabeth but it looks slightly different, exactly. This game takes place in the 1890s or late 1880s

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

"Do, or do not. There is no try." <(-_-)>

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

Why does this image prove the map is not fake? serious question.

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

That pic only proves the shanty pic is real, the leaked map  could still be fake.

• Spider-Vice and Payne Killer like this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:39 PM

For those interested, below are the maps from the GTA V mapping thread before Rockstar released the blueprint map. I'm wondering how close we'll get to RDR2's map.

0C84MWu.jpg

• Beez, Spider-Vice, Duxfever and 11 others like this

dwh850
  • dwh850

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:43 PM Edited by dwh850, 20 October 2016 - 08:50 PM.

They are the same lamp?
GNku9kT.jpg

c6OAK8Q.jpg

And people saying that they can find that house in West Elizabeth but it looks slightly different, exactly. This game takes place in the 1890s or late 1880s
I was just playin around in thieves landing and I noticed those exact lights are also on the side of several buildings

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=dEjk6D1lYKQ
Found a shot of them at 2:42
  • Duxfever, Kajjy, vnus_dmlo and 4 others like this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

For those interested, below are the maps from the GTA V mapping thread before Rockstar released the blueprint map. I'm wondering how close we'll get to RDR2's map.

[snip]

I remember those days! Good times. One difference between that endeavor and this one, though: in GTA5 we knew we were mapping "Los Angeles" and the surrounding areas. I think it's going to be a bit more subjective this time around. I mean, we're already starting to group certain "areas" together visually...but it will be tough to conclusively say which areas go where until we get a lot more information. But, I say let's do it!
  • Pink Pineapple likes this

Dee.
  • Dee.

Happy Holidays!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:57 PM Edited by DeeDogg_, 21 October 2016 - 08:50 PM.

Cleaned up map:

maxresdefault.jpg

They are the same lamp?
GNku9kT.jpg

c6OAK8Q.jpg

UPDATE: Thank you to GTAForums user cris-formage for providing me with these screenshots of the same house found by The Wreck of the Serendipity in Red Dead Redemption for me to use as a comparison!

550c22a921e401f4c5d1f923dafadaa9.jpg

52e9e4578a2c6aec659ddfdb2c71fb93.jpg

dbz_master_SA_4life
  • dbz_master_SA_4life

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

0C84MWu.jpg

Brings back the memories from viewing those observant forum users. 

• StJimmy likes this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:16 PM Edited by Chinese Takeout, 20 October 2016 - 09:24 PM.

Ahh! WTF?! Haha, sorry, but this is driving me nuts, LOL! Exactly what landmarks are in both the TRAILER and the FAKE MAP that would UN-FAKE the map? And you can't say generic sh*t like lakes or mountains or trees, lol. About the only thing that would do it is if that "Worth's General Store" was mentioned BY NAME on the FAKE MAP, but I don't see it anywhere. Please tell me what irrefutable proof you are referring to. Thanks! :-)

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:19 PM Edited by Richard Power Colt, 20 October 2016 - 09:37 PM.

The leaked map could just be a work in progress or it's a fake. I think the swamp pattern is different in the trailer. And I also don't see a railroad there on the trailer.

Nutduster
  • Nutduster

Big Mean Jerk

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

I think I want the map to end up being real, just so all the people in here screaming FAKE MAP over and over have to eat some crow.  God, stop being such annoying little know-it-alls.

• vnus_dmlo, assCRACK_98, slimeball supreme and 4 others like this

Alpha1234
  • Alpha1234

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:25 PM Edited by Alpha1234, 20 October 2016 - 09:26 PM.

The railroad is found on the 'leaked' map. Look at the key, it's a solid yellow line going across the map.

DeGeneratorX
  • DeGeneratorX

I don't know what I write here

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:31 PM Edited by DeGeneratorX, 20 October 2016 - 09:33 PM.

dAL5JkA.png

Almost coincidence lol

• vnus_dmlo, Luk38644, Mach1bud and 1 other like this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:35 PM

The railroad is found on the 'leaked' map. Look at the key, it's a solid yellow line going across the map.

No one faking a map would have thought to include a railroad. It must be real.

P.S. Oh great, Nutduster's back. The know-it-all that hates know-it-alls. I thought you weren't coming back until the game came out. Oh well. What you mistake for know-it-all-ism is that back and forth that forces each side in the argument to really substantiate their claim to truth (in this case, the validity of the map). Everyone benefits when bad ideas are tossed out and good ideas withstand scrutiny. Rather than bitching about this process, why don't you offer some valuable input for a change?

<...waiting...>

Almost coincidence lol

I guess the blue stuff on either side of the tributary (on the fake map) are mountains? Because in the screenshot...I see mountains on either side. Not bodies of water.

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:42 PM

The only way to know for sure is too wait for the game to come out and compare the maps. I bet the game also has horses in it.

• Chinese Takeout likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner
    Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:44 PM Edited by RedDagger, 20 October 2016 - 09:45 PM.

Aight, here's what we have so far, given that the trailer is split into 15 separate scenes, just quickly number them in order they appear:
Spoiler

Known links:
2-5
13-15
1-15

It's a start!
  • Duxfever, vnus_dmlo, Fraizer and 7 others like this

ARTHUR.
  • ARTHUR.

Johnny Yen

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:51 PM Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby, 20 October 2016 - 10:04 PM.

This being the map does seem quite plausible. The names are probably temporarily put in by the map designers and then named aptly by a creative director/ writer.

• Rich. likes this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:58 PM Edited by Midnight Hitman, 20 October 2016 - 10:01 PM.

Is soemone trying to landmark the shanty using the so called leaked map

I've tried but god knows i can't.

• Payne Killer likes this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

Aight, here's what we have so far, given that the trailer is split into 15 separate scenes, just quickly number them in order they appear:

Spoiler

Known links:
2-5
13-15
1-15

It's a start!

This is great! The only question I have is: in your link to 1-15, 1 seems to have a red mountain outline that would place it behind the sun. In the shot of the guy riding up over the ridge...if you play with the brightness and contrast of that shot, it seems like you can see the lightsource (sun) unobstructed...contrary to the placement of the mountain range edit. Yes? 

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

The issue with using the sun for analysis is that R* is known for changing the sun's position to get the lighting they want to. At least in screenshots.

• ryuclan, BlackScout, Lowi and 3 others like this

ARTHUR.
  • ARTHUR.

Johnny Yen

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:11 PM Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby, 20 October 2016 - 10:12 PM.

Is soemone trying to landmark the shanty using the so called leaked map

I've tried but god knows i can't.

I reckon it's in Bayounwa or Bluegrill Marsh, which gives reason for it to be on stilts, as it's a swampy marsh.

Or it could be the Mossy Flats, that gives apt place with the Grizzlies in the backdrop, that meandering river just behind and maybe that's Cumberland Forest in the background. If it's flat ground, i.e a flood plain, that also explains the stilts.

• The Deadite and Dee. like this

DeGeneratorX
  • DeGeneratorX

I don't know what I write here

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:19 PM

The issue with using the sun for analysis is that R* is known for changing the sun's position to get the lighting they want to. At least in screenshots.

Screenshots and trailers in general. They do this all the time to avoid mapping and make better fx.

• ryuclan, Mach1bud and Dee. like this

Arms Dealer
  • Arms Dealer

(68)

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:25 PM Edited by Arms Dealer, 20 October 2016 - 10:32 PM.

"Larned Sod?" could refer to the "new more durable sod and adobe fort" of Fort Larned, in Kansas

Edit: Fort Wallace was also a real location in Kansas.

• Race-n-Chase likes this

StJimmy
  • StJimmy

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:28 PM

I was waiting for this thread. Thank you 

StJimmy
  • StJimmy

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

Farmer and the rocks:

Isn't this the Rockstar store background? I swear this was there since before GTA V

Here's my two cents, after seeing a load of GTA V fake maps.
And I mean a sh*t ton. Something about this map seems off. As in it seems to be the opposite from what we expect. It is unpolished, unfinished and yet still somehow seems Rockstar designed. Rockstar's maps just have a certain thing to them. That magic. 
The tip off here is the inclusion of New Elizabeth. When has Rockstar ever reused a section of map in another game (inb4 the LC in San Andreas)? The very fact that any faker with half a brain would avoid something as odd and off putting as including West Elizabeth, doubled with the rumors of a prequel, lead me to believe it is real. 

I'm open to debate as long as it doesn't include "It looks fake cause I say it looks fake" or if it doesn't contain "it looks fake due to the lack of Analheim". 

Edit: Someone get Fido in here stat, this man will get us a detailed map by tomorrow just based off this trailer.

• Beez and KENNYOUT3 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users