• Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Conversion 2014 [ViIV for GTANY Contribution]
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]
    Modding Milestone [IVSA/Ped Paths]
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition][Contribution]

Posted 2 weeks ago

Fake or not, i's a real good attempt. One detail stands out in particular, which is that grid with the numbers\letters. Not sure if that is a common thing to add but it matches the exact size and format of RDR. Each square would be 512x512 meters, then the h03, i03, k03 etc is the same system they use in RDR, internally for the filenames.

• Spider-Vice, Rich., RedDagger and 3 others like this

brwhizz29
  • brwhizz29

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by brwhizz29, 2 weeks ago.

Great comeback, pal. You're really making a solid case for why this is not the real map.

Because your points have been extremely solid so far and you been posting nothing but facts.

'Extremely solid', no, but pretty sensible, yes. This guy simply says 'nerd' because he has nothing to say.

I guess that eurogamer, techradar and ign are all wrong when they say that the map is real. Boy, that sneaky faker (whoever he is) sure did pull off quite the ruse!

• Xayah likes this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

THEN I SWALLOD THE EVRYTING

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 2 weeks ago

I guess that eurogamer, techradar and ign are all wrong when they say that the map is real. Boy, that sneaky faker (whoever he is) sure did pull off quite the ruse!

They could still be wrong, they know as much as the rest of the world about this, there could still be a chance this is a fake one.

There been times when alleged leaks turned out to be fake, i don't understand why you are being so protective of this map.

brwhizz29
  • brwhizz29

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

They could still be wrong, they know as much as the rest of the world about this, there could still be a chance this is a fake one.

There been times when alleged leaks turned out to be fake, i don't understand why you are being so protective of this map.

Because it's so painfully obvious that it's real. I'm not 100% sure of course, having not yet been 'confirmed' by rockstar, but 99.99% is pretty good. 

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

That's not good map making, it's really sh*t map making and not something Rockstar do 

That's not entirely true. The layout of the countryside in GTA V wasn't very good. It's just a ring of mountains with a crater in the middle and a boring highway going around it. 

• Roger Cheeto, DeeDogg_ and jackemannen like this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

That's not good map making, it's really sh*t map making and not something Rockstar do 

That's not entirely true. The layout of the countryside in GTA V wasn't very good. It's just a ring of mountains with a crater in the middle and a boring highway going around it. 

You have a point but I was more referring to the fact that the various regions, especially in RDR, flowed into each other naturally. In the supposed map they are bluntly broken apart by some big rivers.

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Im pretty sure they dont know as much as we do if theyre able to confirm if a map is the real deal or not... 

Anyway. Account bet anyone?

highzman420
  • highzman420

What we lose in the fire, We will find in the ashes.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Im pretty sure they dont know as much as we do if theyre able to confirm if a map is the real deal or not... 

What's the bet?

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

What's the bet?

Its a pretty big bet. If the map ends up being fake, I'll ask a mod to perma me. If its real, then you have to perma your account.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Svip, 2 days ago.

I think the map may likely be authentic. It clearly looks like it was taken with a camera off a monitor (you can see the chrome of the window around the map in the upper right and far right), leaving some of the text incomprehensible.

Additionally, the mirrored islands on the far right proves its authenticity to me. If someone went to great lengths to create a fake map like this, they would not have left that mistake in.

This is clearly an early prototype of the game world for RDR2. And it is likely to be very different (and possibly larger) in the end.

Edit: Expanding on the larger point, notice how the grid starts from h02 in the upper left corner and ends in s17 in the lower right (below r17 that we can see)? Should suggest that there are at least 7 more rows of tiles above.

And if that cut out of some island (between h06 and h09) has any merit to it, I'd imagine that the above rows are reserved for part of that, or just more territory in general.
  • DeeDogg_ likes this

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

I think the map may likely be authentic. It clearly looks like it was taken with a camera off a monitor (you can see the chrome of the window around the map in the upper right and far right), leaving some of the text incomprehensible.

Additionally, the mirrored islands on the far right proves its authenticity to me. If someone went to great lengths to create a fake map like this, they would not have left that mistake in.

This is clearly an early prototype of the game world for RDR2. And it is likely to be very different (and possibly larger) in the end.

techradar said it was a very recent map.

also holy sh*t you have been here a long time

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 2 days ago

As far as I can gather, the map first appeared online in April 2016. While seemingly recent, I'd imagine the actual leak came some time after the picture was taken. Even if the picture was from then, it clearly looks like a drawing of the map, not a rendering (or rather a drawing over a rendering), so it may have been an old version by the time the image was taken.
  • Spider-Vice likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 5 hours ago

New screens released, most of them aren't terribly usable buuuut we got two with landscape features, so, well, you know :whistle:
ayqbSBC.jpg
gAPwVgr.jpg

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 hours ago Edited by DeeDogg_, 5 hours ago.

New screens released, most of them aren't terribly usable buuuut we got two with landscape features, so, well, you know :whistle:
ayqbSBC.jpg
gAPwVgr.jpg

Can that be this area?

3893487c-3777-458b-8905-3e07908d4f4b.jpg

Train tracks crossing the river and a cabin of some sorts in the back drop. Could be 'Watson's cabin'.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 5 hours ago

don't you start u lil sh*t
  • Jestic, Fachewachewa and DeeDogg_ like this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 hours ago

The bottom pic is Redwood National Park in northern California.

44EB6e7.jpg

• Fachewachewa and highzman420 like this

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 hours ago

The bottom pic is Redwood National Park in northern California.

44EB6e7.jpg

California isnt part of the heartlands. Thats quite an assumption though even though the trees and foliage look similar

Fachewachewa
  • Fachewachewa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 3 hours ago

Some quick observations with the big one :

lq94PAz.jpg

• Rock formations on the right remind me of the Alien Landing Site & Sydney Opera House (sorry, don't remember the "official" names, if they had one). I'm not saying it's the same spot, juste that it's kinda similar.
  • Can't see snow. In the first trailer, I think almost every mountain we saw had snow on them.
  • On the left side, we see what seems like white dense fog at a lower altitude. Reminds me of the fog we saw on the lake (?) in the first trailer. Again, not saying it's the same spot (but it could be here, as we didn't really see much in the trailer from that spot).
  • what's up with those pointy ears ? rocks ? house ?

• Duxfever, Kirsty, RedDagger and 2 others like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users