635 replies to this topic
Screewdriver
  • Screewdriver

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:02 PM

Is this Rockstar banner from the map?

0oHamat.png

This also gave me RDR vibes at first. I tried matching the image with both maps (leaked and RDR1) but couldn't find a proper match, so I guess it's just an angiogram.

This could be a part of the map. The leaked map is probably fake, so I would not measure anything to that until it is proven it is the real map. 

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:16 PM Edited by GourangaMaster, 12 November 2016 - 11:17 PM.

I don't think that is part of a map. Looked like inverted lightning to me so i gave a quick shop and imo that's all it is.

TARpG1R.png

• alz, Jestic, saintsrow and 6 others like this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

"Do, or do not. There is no try." <(-_-)>

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:11 AM

Veins, people. They're veins. LOL

cag.jpg
  • koeklin likes this

stjimmy3
  • stjimmy3

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:20 AM

Veins, people. They're veins. LOL

cag.jpg

Actually I believe those may be arteries 

• Distrom, Chinese Takeout and Pete4000uk like this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:08 AM

Actually I believe those may be arteries 

Touché! ;-)
giphy.gif
  • stjimmy3, xerodas and Malcot like this

Canady117
  • Canady117

The Unforgiven

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:36 AM

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I had no problem with it in RDR1. But, it's 7 years later and I'm not sure I'll be thrilled with the idea of "death-by-water" which was one of the reasons the RDR1 map boundaries worked so well: you weren't surrounded by mountains, nor were you surrounded by water. You have mountains in the South, West, and North, and water to the East and Southeast. As you progressed from the southwest of the map (Mexico) to the northeast of the map (Great Plains), it felt like you were traversing a condensed version of Frontier-era America, geographically speaking.

In order to do it the exact same way again, which you said you are fine with, they will have to do A) All Mountain Boundaries, B) All Water Boundaries (like all the GTAs), or C) a combination of Mountain and Water boundaries (like RDR1).

If they go with either B or C, then you have the NO SWIMMING mechanic, which is a pretty dated mechanic in 2017. If they go with A, then it breaks the "relative geography" of the United States.

Nonetheless, I'm confident they will come up with a satisfying solution.

It would be great if they did a C option, and have like a stamina feature for swimming where you'd tire out and drown, or instead of a stamina feature they could put invisible kill zones so if you swim too far out into the ocean you "tire out" and drown. Either one of those solutions would make sense as far as immersion and would be a lot better than A or B, with or without a swimming mechanic.

• saintsrow and Chinese Takeout like this

EVOLUT7ON
  • EVOLUT7ON

#BeMyValentine & #BIKERS snapmatic contests winner

• The Connection
  • United-States
  • Best Funny [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Runner-Up

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

We'll see nothing more except what R* are ready to show us. Interested about 14th and 15th of November...

I wouldnt expect any new reveals or news before January.

yeah... maybe yes, or maybe not.
Who knows maybe R* is going to hype their pre-orders before Xmas when all people buy everything they wanted for a while, for example a new game from R* :)

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:28 AM Edited by darkdayz, 16 November 2016 - 12:46 AM.

Look at the griddage of the leaked map. The top row is H and not A.

Perfectly acceptable to assume the top of the image is not the top of the actual map if it's real. Especially when there are orange pathways that go off screen to the top. Same for the bottom, things going off screen, yet it's water at the bottom so safe to assume that doesn't expand south like it could north.

I don't think so.  I think if that map is real, what we have seen is almost all the playable space.  A little is cut off but probably not much, just based on the overall shape; it would probably only extend into the G row or maybe the F at most.  My guess about why it starts on H is that there's a lot of non-playable space they need to fill in so when you're at the edge of the map you still see something past that point.  The northern border could be increasingly mountainous - some you can climb followed by bigger ones that you can't; or sheer cliffs and canyons that mean automatic suicide - and everything north of that is just distant scenery outside an impassable border.

Red Dead Redemption had quite a bit of space that was supposed to be unplayable as well, though people found ways to get into it and ride around.

Another possibility, assuming this map is just a rough draft (it certainly doesn't look finished), is that the designer just plopped it in the middle of a big grid rather than aligning it with the top row and trimming off all the unused space.  We really don't know.

10 rows of playable map as we see it. 8 rows of unseen map (non-playable as you suggest) to the north, above row H.

So you're saying the non playable backdrop to the north will be almost equal to the entire landmass of the playable map?

Sorry, just doesn't make sense. Especially when there's only 2 non-playable rows to the east.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:42 AM

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I had no problem with it in RDR1. But, it's 7 years later and I'm not sure I'll be thrilled with the idea of "death-by-water" which was one of the reasons the RDR1 map boundaries worked so well: you weren't surrounded by mountains, nor were you surrounded by water. You have mountains in the South, West, and North, and water to the East and Southeast. As you progressed from the southwest of the map (Mexico) to the northeast of the map (Great Plains), it felt like you were traversing a condensed version of Frontier-era America, geographically speaking.

In order to do it the exact same way again, which you said you are fine with, they will have to do A) All Mountain Boundaries, B) All Water Boundaries (like all the GTAs), or C) a combination of Mountain and Water boundaries (like RDR1).

If they go with either B or C, then you have the NO SWIMMING mechanic, which is a pretty dated mechanic in 2017. If they go with A, then it breaks the "relative geography" of the United States.

It would be great if they did a C option, and have like a stamina feature for swimming where you'd tire out and drown, or instead of a stamina feature they could put invisible kill zones so if you swim too far out into the ocean you "tire out" and drown. Either one of those solutions would make sense as far as immersion and would be a lot better than A or B, with or without a swimming mechanic.

Solution: Swimming, with river piranha and Great Lakes sharks

• Chinese Takeout likes this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

I've been thinking about it, and there's really all kinds of things they could do: quicksand, impassable thickets/thornbushes, forested areas that are so thick you just can't get through it, or a massive FOREST FIRE might be cool, cliff-drop down to river that is unsurvivable, massive storm blows in w/ lightning and tornadoes that you can't get through (similar to how Thieves' Landing is always dark and gloomy no matter what the time or the weather is everywhere else), etc.

I really have high hopes that 1. we'll be able to swim (even skinny dip, Brokeback Mountain style!), and 2. we'll be kept within the boundaries of the map in clever and unobtrusive ways.
  • saintsrow and vnus_dmlo like this

Nutduster
  • Nutduster

Big Mean Jerk

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:48 AM

Look at the griddage of the leaked map. The top row is H and not A.

Perfectly acceptable to assume the top of the image is not the top of the actual map if it's real. Especially when there are orange pathways that go off screen to the top. Same for the bottom, things going off screen, yet it's water at the bottom so safe to assume that doesn't expand south like it could north.

I don't think so.  I think if that map is real, what we have seen is almost all the playable space.  A little is cut off but probably not much, just based on the overall shape; it would probably only extend into the G row or maybe the F at most.  My guess about why it starts on H is that there's a lot of non-playable space they need to fill in so when you're at the edge of the map you still see something past that point.  The northern border could be increasingly mountainous - some you can climb followed by bigger ones that you can't; or sheer cliffs and canyons that mean automatic suicide - and everything north of that is just distant scenery outside an impassable border.

Red Dead Redemption had quite a bit of space that was supposed to be unplayable as well, though people found ways to get into it and ride around.

Another possibility, assuming this map is just a rough draft (it certainly doesn't look finished), is that the designer just plopped it in the middle of a big grid rather than aligning it with the top row and trimming off all the unused space.  We really don't know.

10 rows of playable map as we see it. 8 rows of unseen map (non-playable as you suggest) to the north, above row H.

So you're saying the non playable backdrop to the north will be almost equal to the entire landmass of the playable map?

Sorry, just doesn't make sense. Especially when there's only 2 non-playable rows to the east.

So it makes more sense to you that they'd have a massive island shaped land mass, and then above that somewhere another giant land mass connected only by a single thin bridge..? When has a Rockstar map looked like that? Red Dead and GTA V certainly don't. And if there's a lot more playable space, why did whoever leaked this only show some of it?

I think sometimes people are guilty of just believing whatever they want to believe, and coming up with explanations of things to support those beliefs rather than looking at them with clear eyes. To me it seems much more likely that one of these is true: 1. There's more space but almost none is playable; or 2. This is just a rough draft anyway and the grid position is meaningless; or 3. The map isn't even real and we're dissecting something for no reason.

MuffinMcFluffin
  • MuffinMcFluffin

Local Hero

• Members

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

That's what Ratchet & Clank had.

hypersonicSEVN
  • hypersonicSEVN

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:51 AM

Can't wait for those real life buffalo skinning sounds.  

*pttthhptthhptthhptthhh*
*ffffifffifffiffi*
  • stjimmy3 and AlienTwo like this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:39 PM

Well, if I don't post this now, I'm probably never going to post it. I really haven't had time to polish this up like I'd want to, but...oh well. I created a VR Panorama of the last scene in the trailer via Roundme. I use Google Cardboard to view it stereoscopically, but I guess you could use any viewer. Thought this might help me keep my bearings as I try to add in future trailers and screens. Directions are merely placeholders to indicate compass points. I have no idea which direction is actually "North."

If you download the app from Google Play or the iOS app store you can view the image in "VR mode." It's not the greatest, but...it is what it is.

https://roundme.com/...18/view/243296/

Spoiler

• alz, saintsrow, Kirsty and 6 others like this

diesel47
  • diesel47

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:21 PM Edited by diesel47, 12 January 2017 - 08:23 PM.

Typically "Heartland of America" refers to the Midwest area which ranges from Ohio to Minnesota. The problem is that this area doesn't have any big mountains and it is pretty flat. Also, it is a bit far from Mexico. 

• saintsrow likes this

Chinese Takeout
  • Chinese Takeout

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:24 PM Edited by Chinese Takeout, 12 January 2017 - 10:27 PM.

Typically "Heartland of America" refers to the Midwest area which ranges from Ohio to Minnesota. The problem is that this area doesn't have any big mountains and it is pretty flat. Also, it is a bit far from Mexico.

I think "Heartlands" is a little bit broader than just the Midwest. The Midwest is the Midwest, the South is the South, the Southwest is the Southwest...and sometimes these regions overlap with each other (The "South" and the "Southwest," for example, traditionally share some states...depending on who you talk to).

My guess is that when Rockstar says "the American Heartlands," they're talking about a region that INCLUDES some of the Midwest, but is not EXCLUSIVE to the Midwest. Does that make sense? I made a map showing some of these "traditional" regions. One thing that (I think) is always true of any version of the "Heartlands," is that its CENTER is the Mississippi River. How far east and west it extends from the Mississippi depends on who you talk to. In Rockstar's case, I think their "Heartlands" extend at least to the foothills of the Rockies. I'm not sure if I think the map will be big enough to extend all the way to the Appalachians in the east. Time will tell, I guess.

EDIT: I didn't make it very clear on the map...Extending from the PINK Mississippi river line, I drew a WHITE jagged circle approximating what might be R*'s version of the "Heartlands."

Spoiler
  • saintsrow and Arthur Fookin Shelby like this

Arthur Fookin Shelby
  • Arthur Fookin Shelby

remember what ol dirty said

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:48 PM Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby, 14 January 2017 - 06:38 PM.

I have a feeling it's gonna take place or parts of it will take place in Wyoming-

RcAeSbW.jpg

AypkqIy.jpg

The river we saw at the start of the trailer looks very synonymous to Snake River, Wyoming

I understand a lot of rivers meander like this, but the topographical features and the surrounding nature are really quite similar.

Snake River Wyoming with the Tetons in the background-

MSunXM3.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer Screencap

image_red_dead_redemption_2-33466-3730_0

These mountains; the Tetons, Wyoming also remind me a bit of the Three Peaks. Also guess what? the Tetons were originally named by French settlers; 'les tois tetons', meaning the three nipples like three peaks.

vTWq0SL.jpg

This mountain here, Mount Robson, British Columbia.

C2JqpmnW8AEPtJM.jpg

C2JqvVrWIAMiK5k.jpg

Looks similar one of the many mountains that one we see on the right at the end of the Red Dead trailer.

Part of the Rockies so I have no doubt that those are the Rockies towards the end.

I believe Chinese Takeout has the right directions on his panorama compass.

I think our map will be located just East of the Rockies, so I would expect places like Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota, Nebraska.

• saintsrow, Jabalous, Kalvin and 11 others like this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

I think "Heartlands" is a little bit broader than just the Midwest. The Midwest is the Midwest, the South is the South, the Southwest is the Southwest...and sometimes these regions overlap with each other (The "South" and the "Southwest," for example, traditionally share some states...depending on who you talk to).

My guess is that when Rockstar says "the American Heartlands," they're talking about a region that INCLUDES some of the Midwest, but is not EXCLUSIVE to the Midwest. Does that make sense? I made a map showing some of these "traditional" regions. One thing that (I think) is always true of any version of the "Heartlands," is that its CENTER is the Mississippi River. How far east and west it extends from the Mississippi depends on who you talk to. In Rockstar's case, I think their "Heartlands" extend at least to the foothills of the Rockies. I'm not sure if I think the map will be big enough to extend all the way to the Appalachians in the east. Time will tell, I guess.

EDIT: I didn't make it very clear on the map...Extending from the PINK Mississippi river line, I drew a WHITE jagged circle approximating what might be R*'s version of the "Heartlands."

I'm hoping for all these varied areas, but I am afraid that because there can be big expanses of nothing interesting in real life maps, Rockstar may condense the Heartland and other areas, unrealistically, because they don't want to bother writing stories to take place in these big areas.  

This is like RDR, which had a large American West and large Mexico, but the Great Plains and Tall Trees felt like a backyard on the map.  Agreed that there was plenty of great content crammed into them, but it just felt small and unrealistic after spending all that time in the wide open wild west.  

I think many of us have the same complaint with GTAV - the desert isn't big enough, doesn't feel right.  

Since RDR2 won't have a massive city to be loaded and rendered, I'm hoping they use their polygons for a bigger map.  It's got to be easier designing large Great Plains areas and forests (from dense deciduous woods all the way to the Tall Trees) than it is designing hundreds of houses in Los Santos.

So I hope we get a huge map with realistic proportions.  

• Jabalous, vnus_dmlo, Chinese Takeout and 1 other like this

Dee.
  • Dee.

GTAV= Style over substance

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

Made a video summarizing a lot of the theories in this thread, and a few of my own. Sadly I missed some good stuff, one being that the oil field/traintrack appears in the final scene, and that the first & last scenes could be 'book-ends' in the same location (hero approaching the rail line, meets up with 6 other protags, keeps going over the hill - a nod we wouldn't realize until after launch). But it's better than reading 10 pages :p

amazing video

• saintsrow and EVOLUT7ON like this

alz
  • alz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

Made a video summarizing a lot of the theories in this thread, and a few of my own. Sadly I missed some good stuff, one being that the oil field/traintrack appears in the final scene, and that the first & last scenes could be 'book-ends' in the same location (hero approaching the rail line, meets up with 6 other protags, keeps going over the hill - a nod we wouldn't realize until after launch). But it's better than reading 10 pages :p

amazing video

I missed this post!   This is indeed an impressive overview and speculation.

• saintsrow, EVOLUT7ON and Dee. like this

Bonnie_MacFarlane
  • Bonnie_MacFarlane

Gamer Girl

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

Thanx for this video! It is indeed very informative and you've got a really good voice for narrations...
  • saintsrow likes this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None
  • Take-Two Analyst of the Year

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:01 PM Edited by BLOOD-IS-RED-MOND, 26 February 2017 - 11:02 PM.

Interesting. I hope there is a snowy region like the first game. Well done guys/girls.

Note-Edit: 👍👍👍👍
  • saintsrow and Roger Cheeto like this

Isko1996
  • Isko1996

Crackhead

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

I dont know how accurate this might be

2iafqtc.jpg

That cabin in circle could be this?

xzl2d.jpg

What do you guys think?

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

I mean, finding something that looks like a cabin then drawing a red arrow to one of the dots labelled "cabin" doesn't really show anything imo.
  • TheDon1223 likes this

TheDon1223
  • TheDon1223

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

Can we at least get a close up of the red circle to corroborate his suggestion? Otherwise there is literally no way of knowing.

Isko1996
  • Isko1996

Crackhead

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Here's the close up the best i could, its a bit blurry but you can zoom in it from dekstop. As you can see river kinda matches the place from the trailer, its between two hills, there's a trail which was captured by one of the members and cabin also captured by the same member, few pages back i think you can find his post.

2lo5c39.jpg

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Can we at least get a close up of the red circle to corroborate his suggestion? Otherwise there is literally no way of knowing.

JNScm0w.jpg

Isko1996
  • Isko1996

Crackhead

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

JNScm0w.jpg

I thought he was asking for the map lol, my bad. I think its legit this way, in the distance its legimitely pointing towards those hills which can be seen on the map too, straight way.

Dark_Rider013
  • Dark_Rider013

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

Didn't R* prove this "leaked" map  was wrong?

Dee.
  • Dee.

GTAV= Style over substance

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

Didn't R* prove this "leaked" map  was wrong?

when? they have been mute about everything regarding this game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users