Quantcast

» «
Photo

did you like the ending?

51 replies to this topic

Poll: did you like the ending? (109 member(s) have cast votes)

did you like the ending?

1. yes (78 votes [71.56%])

Percentage of vote: 71.56%

2. no (14 votes [12.84%])

Percentage of vote: 12.84%

3. it was so-so (17 votes [15.60%])

Percentage of vote: 15.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

some don't like it and i am curious to know why.

i thought it was a good ending... something you don't see often in games. john knew he had to sacrifice himself or else the feds will use his family to get to him.

jack's revenge was ok, but i wish there was more that just a duel with ross. overall it was a bittersweet ending

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:07 PM

It was very fitting, so yes. Although I still think the whole "government agents" angle was kinda stupid, John's personal story was good and ended in a way as it was always bound to.

I do agree that Jack's part felt very short and almost rushed though. I'm not against the idea that the son takes over the game after his father, but he was still quite a blank slate compared to John and thus playing the game afterwards didn't feel satisfying anymore. He needed to be fleshed out more.

If his part of the story was supposed to be the revenge - well okay (even though: how original), but maybe he could at least gather his friends from the army or whatever to help him out and have a proper mission? That would be a good DLC, instead we got zombies.

• Niobium likes this

Rascalov
  • Rascalov

We must obey the rules of the game.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:03 AM

It was very fitting, so yes. Although I still think the whole "government agents" angle was kinda stupid, John's personal story was good and ended in a way as it was always bound to.

I do agree that Jack's part felt very short and almost rushed though. I'm not against the idea that the son takes over the game after his father, but he was still quite a blank slate compared to John and thus playing the game afterwards didn't feel satisfying anymore. He needed to be fleshed out more.

If his part of the story was supposed to be the revenge - well okay (even though: how original), but maybe he could at least gather his friends from the army or whatever to help him out and have a proper mission? That would be a good DLC, instead we got zombies.

The story was centred around the government and how they will always f*ck you over I fail to see how it was stupid.  

OT

Yes, I did, a happy ending would not have suited Red Dead Redemption, the feds giving John a happy ending would have felt odd they had to find another monster to justify their wages. 

• NearExpansion and SmokesWithCigs like this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:10 AM

I just wish Jack was cooler. He was kind of a dork.

• vnus_dmlo, Cutter De Blanc, theGTAking101 and 3 others like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:41 AM

Meh, it was okay, I love the "I'm not going anywhere, old man" line...
  • Payne Killer likes this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:41 AM

It was powerful as f*ck, No doubt about it, but Jack sucked compared to John... like they f*cked the freeroaming IMO.

There wasn't even a f*cking cheat to play as John again, like c'mon R*.
  • theGTAking101 and Payne Killer like this

OfficialTwiggz
  • OfficialTwiggz

Typical Assh*le

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:11 AM

Spoiler guys! Gosh! It's been 7 or so years and haven't finished it yet!

/sarcasm.

The ending pissed me off, not gonna lie. I liked John. Got attached to John. The man we knew to love for however many hours just died and we couldn't do anything but start a new game or play with his annoying squealer son.

I hope they realized their mistake and hopefully make a better ending for all types of players.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:40 AM

so some people hate the ending because of jack (lol he's that hated)

Spoiler
  • ClaudeSpeed1911, Zello, RogerWho and 1 other like this

Payne Killer
  • Payne Killer

f*ck you

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:45 AM

^Stop crying like a wuss.

OT: Yeah, I liked the ending. Too bad someone spoiled it for MH. Must have been sad.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911, Femme Fatale and The Deadite like this

lh1
  • lh1

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:52 AM

Didn't like it, because the real ending is so confusing. Like the game doesn't even tell you where to get that LAST "BOSS"

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:53 AM Edited by Zello, 17 October 2016 - 03:53 AM.

I liked it just hated playing as Jack afterwards

• The Deadite likes this

OfficialTwiggz
  • OfficialTwiggz

Typical Assh*le

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:11 AM

Didn't like it, because the real ending is so confusing. Like the game doesn't even tell you where to get that LAST "BOSS"

I literally spent MONTHS running around before noticing them, tbh
  • vnus_dmlo likes this

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:40 AM

Ending of the main story and Jack avenging John was great. But then we're stuck playing a whiney f*ckstain who really has no business doing the same things his father was
  • The Deadite likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

Tough question, I'm not sure it really allows me to answer honestly. The ending itself was fine, the way it continued into the end game was not. That, really, is my only gripe with the whole game. 

wagszilla
  • wagszilla

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

It's an awesome ending.

Dramatically powerful and emotionally moving. That's good storytelling.

I can see why some would be upset having to play as Jack but that's sort of the point. You're forced to live in those shoes. They could've nested a save point or let you revert after so long but then that undercuts what they were doing with the story.

Ballsy move. I like it.

jdv95
  • jdv95

grotti enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

hell yes!

i'm all for realistic endings even if they have to be sad.

tired of shoehorning happy endings to please the crowd that have no idea what GREAT storytelling is.

• RogerWho likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

The story was centred around the government and how they will always f*ck you over I fail to see how it was stupid. 

The part where they kidnap your family. It just doesn't feel like much of a government thing to do. Mafia did the same at one point in the story and I've always found it hard to swallow.

Another thing... so the agents send out one man to track down and kill all those people, travelling across the whole country... Did they really expect him to succeed in such a task, usually with no support? Sure it's enough to kickstart the story but still somewhat blatantly video-gamey. I mean what would they do if he just got killed? Shrug and let go of the idea to ever get those gang members to justice? It's just odd.

It would be more fitting if that was a competition gang kidnapping your family and threatening you. The government agents could then get involved in some other way. They could still need to get rid of John at the end in order to clean up so that part wouldn't need to change and it could also be more unexpected. Such as it is, we know those agents are corrupt right from the start.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

Better'n John Marston gettin' his head stomped in by a psycho hilljack.  

But if anybody thinks that Jack Marston was a good way to end RDR, I beg to differ.  :p

• Niobium and Cameron Star like this

Mathemagician
  • Mathemagician

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

It was a very good ending to an even better story.

Only downside was having to play as Jack, afterwards.

Arlarse
  • Arlarse

Cultivating Mass

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:14 PM

Liked the ending, loved the overall story; for me it's R* best story. I do agree that Jack could have done with fleshing out more though.

NearExpansion
  • NearExpansion

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:54 PM Edited by NearExpansion, 18 October 2016 - 07:54 PM.

It's a great ending and there's not much more they could do then let Jack seek out Ross.  I do wonder if RDR2 will continue (or prequel) the Marston story or be a new set of characters.  The first seven men illustration on the announcement screenshot doesn't offer enough detail to say if its John or Jack revisited.

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:15 PM

The ending was great, not everything ends with rainbows and flowers. With that being said I HATED Jack Marston.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:13 PM Edited by thatstupidbug, 19 October 2016 - 06:14 PM.

No because after mgs4, gta4 and TLAD i was burned out by bad endings.
After all those years I have no problem admitting it's quite good (if depressing), but I stil hate it with a passion for being so depressing. (tv tropes has the perfect definition for what i feel: "Darkness-induced audience apathy")
And i was never really able to play as jack
  • Mister Pink likes this

Cameron Star
  • Cameron Star

Rock my socks.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:30 AM

I stopped playing story missions after I reunited John with his family and they got to their farm. When I found out he was going to die I didn't want it to happen so I just pretended everything was okay.

I'm playing it again now so I might do it this time but I don't know. Maybe I'll at least make a save before he dies so I can go back to playing with him when I'm done.

• Zader and Payne Killer like this

Zader
  • Zader

cocksucker

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

It was sad, but that's how a gunslinger's ballad ends. Not just with a bang, sometimes with 20.

Little Big Man
  • Little Big Man

Player Hater

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:43 PM Edited by Little Big Man, 26 October 2016 - 03:49 PM.

Rancher John can't change clothes. If that matters to you then leave a save game just after Dutch dies

Spoiler

Whew, lucky I spoilered that. Don't want to go give too much away!

• vnus_dmlo and Cameron Star like this

Cameron Star
  • Cameron Star

Rock my socks.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

Rancher John can't change clothes. If that matters to you then leave a save game just after Dutch dies

Spoiler

Whew, lucky I spoilered that. Don't want to go give too much away!

Really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, I'll do that! I like having him wear a poncho.

Alexlecj
  • Alexlecj

Player Hater

• Members
  • France

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

It closes the story well.

Mrs. Bush: Apparently, Mr. Johns wants to run for governor, which is why he's so concerned with cleaning up the state.

Edgar Ross: The life you lived...you don't just walk away from that, buy a few chickens and make it all disappear. You should be dead or rotting in a jail cell by now. [...] Governor Johns is going to be very pleased. [...] Let's just say he has a vested interest in cleaning the filth out of this region.

Dutch Van der Linde: You're just like me, John. You can't change who you are. [...] You can't erase the past, John. Killin' me, it won't make it go away. [...] When I'm gone, they'll just find another monster. They have to, because they have to justify their wages. [...] Our time is passed, John.

• Nameless Foot Soldier and Dream-_-Traveler like this

ibsmokin
  • ibsmokin

Gta junkie

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

Story was amazing, and it ended as it should especially with gov pulling his strings. Hated playing as Jack though. Replayed through it after till the farm unlocked got the legend of the west outfit and never looked back.

ULPaperContact
  • ULPaperContact

Proti všem tyranům, pro boha a zemi

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:47 PM

Love-hate relationship, ya know? Sure, it was a pretty good ending, but I personally wanted to see Marston blast through the obstacles and end the corruption, without having to paly as his dipsh*t bookworm of a son.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users