Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will we ever get to see Rockstars Agent?

14 replies to this topic
DERGaming
  • DERGaming

Dagger

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:31 AM

As the title says will we ever get to see Rockstars Agent has it been abandoned? 

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:08 AM Edited by Jabalous, 10 October 2016 - 03:11 AM.

As long as they didn't say it's canceled, then yes, there's a chance that we will get to see it sometime down the line. Remember that AGENT trademark has been renewed several times in the past few years by Take2 and there's no reason to do so if it's abandoned. One more thing, there was a job ad by R* a year ago that talked about creating "Asymmetrical Cooperative Stealth Experience". As far as we know, this could be Agent and there's a possibility there were several prototypes being produced for the game in the past years and they've finally settled on a final form. If that description is anything to go by, then I expect a large involvement of an online-based Cooperative mode.

• UltraGizmo64, BurnettVice and Ivan1997GTA like this

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Token black guy.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:10 AM

Knowing R* it likely won't be release for another decade.

Michael
  • Michael

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:28 AM

Probably not, Agent was put on the Rockstar Games website a few years ago as an PlayStation 3 exclusive game. Now, both Sony and Microsoft released new consoles. While there are still a lot of players on PlayStation 3 I just think they can't make enough profit out of it. There are still signs of life sometimes but I'm a little bit skeptical about it. Anyway, we will just have to wait until Rockstar Games announces a date someday.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:00 PM

There are two trademarks in Take Two's name for Agent. One of them was submitted 2013, not sure if it is known, and includes the actual logo: http://tmsearch.uspt...805:vj4xh4.3.18

I guess there still could be hope, but one of the developers whose portfolio had been deleted during the R* paranoia in June said that he hoped it'd see the light of day.

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:14 PM

It's clear it's gone. If the game ever resurfaces, it's gonna be a situation like with Prey where the game was in development for a decade until what came out was a completely different thing, several generations later.

• UltraGizmo64 and Ivan1997GTA like this

kBlaise
  • kBlaise

"We're two hombres in a strange town..."

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

Nothing is clear until Rockstar North says so.

alex3
  • alex3

\m/ o_o \m/

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

The power of Rockstar Games. They can announce a game which we have never seen or know nothing about, yet we continue to be hyped about it year after year after year! :r*:

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:34 AM

I think Sony's hurt feelings about losing GTA console exclusivity when Rockstar made the deal with Microsoft for exclusive GTA IV DLC in 2006 — a deal that apparently caught them completely by surprise — were a huge driver in getting Agent started. Sony badly wanted a Rockstar exclusive for the PS3 and must have been willing to pay. The deal to make Agent was made fairly quickly after the GTA IV announcement that had left Sony feeling spurned.

But Rockstar couldn't deliver because they had so many badly delayed games in their pipeline already. Rockstar North was supposed to make Agent but there were already warning signs they had too much on their plate when they had to get help on Manhunt 2 because GTA had become all-consuming. And then every other Rockstar studios' games were delayed and North became a fix-it squad heavily involved in every game. By the time all those got done there was barely enough time left in the console generation to make a huge score with GTA V. Doing Agent for just PS3 instead of GTA V for both would have been a bad call.

So by about 2011 Sony understood Agent wasn't happening soon enough to be worth what it would have been if it had come out in 2010 as planned. They had to console themselves with some exclusive content in Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire.

The console market has moved beyond big third-party exclusives and with Sony no longer having a special interest the question is whether Rockstar loves Agent enough to want to spend however many years it will take. Maybe they do. Maybe it's happening right now and will come out a year after RDR2. Maybe it'll never happen.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:26 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 02 November 2016 - 06:31 PM.

I can't see Rockstar ever making exclusive content in the form of a whole game in the future. I mean maybe Sony were willing to pay for it etc at the time and maybe it was only ever going to be a timed exclusive. I think Rockstar have so much in the bank that they would want to have their work out on multiple platforms. It probably seemed OK in the height of the console wars and the 360 got their EFLC 6 months before PS3 users. However, if Rockstar go ahead and make a console exclusive game I'm not going to buy an new console, I'm just going to be mad at Rockstar. I reckon I'm not along and I think Rockstar may know this. 

Rockstar said they were working on a couple of projects and I would say doing another RDR and with GTA ongoing for the last 3 years the Housers may want work on something fresh and new for a change. I'm doubtful but never say never. I mean why keep the logo on the site etc.

98wcTyo.png

FPOoG9T.png

Looked really interesting. 

• UltraGizmo64 and Ivan1997GTA like this

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:41 PM

AGENT is like the Lockness Monster of the video game world.
  • UltraGizmo64, Payne Killer and Ivan1997GTA like this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:14 AM Edited by Spider-Vice, 14 December 2016 - 02:15 AM.

Although this doesn't mean much at all (ignoring the poorly written article and clickbaity title about its development, as we're having RDR2 next), Rockstar, even after expiry, has renewed the Agent trademark and its logo. They're definitely keeping it alive.

http://segmentnext.c...y-still-worked/

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Yes, I think we'll see Agent. It has been in the development for years due to their other games in the works, and this is likely the cause for the delay to occur.
Simple as that.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

AGENT is like the Lockness Monster of the video game world.

Loch Ness. 

Anyways, OT. 

Yeah, I think it'll appear one day, but I don't know how much I even care about it now. I'll buy it, regardless, but I'm not hyped about it. Not sure I ever was. 

The fact that they've kept the logo on their site suggests that it's something that maybe a very small team are still plugging away at, laying groundwork for it. I doubt they realised how much work would go into Online post-release and they'd already worked on that and V for several years. It's probably going to end up being a small thing like Table Tennis at this point. 

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:50 PM Edited by Indi, 14 December 2016 - 11:53 PM.

It'll show up one day.  It's been on and off for 12 or 13 years.  Since Manhunt 1 I think.

That "Asymmetrical Cooperative Stealth Experience" game in the job listing from last year in my opinion has got to be Agent.

• Spider-Vice and UltraGizmo64 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users