Tutorial: Put IDA Database symbols into GTA executable
IMPORTANT: We switched to Visual Studio 2017. Now you have to copy the correct "MSPDBCORE.DLL" file into the "output" folder or else the tool will not run.
This tutorial shows you how to put your IDA database (.idb file) symbols into a PDB file that is linked to an executable, such as a GTA engine. By doing so you will see named callstacks in Visual Studio as well as symbols in the disassembly view, hopefully greatly enhancing your GTA modding experience.
Source code of tool: http://pefrm-units.o...p/pe_debug.html
Quick Step-by-Step Guide
- download dumpinfo.idc onto your desktop
- scroll to the bottom, disable OPT_IDC_FILE (example file, download)
- open your IDB, click File -> IDC File..., select dumpinfo.idc
- click OK, output file name should be "symbols.txt"
- checkout the tool source code to the desktop
- go inside the "build" folder, open the solution
- set working folder to "output" folder in repository, set program arguments to path to EXE file (GTA3, GTA VC, etc)
- compile the program in Release mode
- put "symbols.txt" into the "output" folder in repository
- run the tool by launching it without debugging through Visual Studio
Precompiled symbols.txt files
Thanks to public database resources such as this I have compiled a list of symbols.txt files to save time.
- GTA3 (gta3_20141007.rar): OneDrive, mirror
- GTA:SA (gtasa_20141007.rar, US): OneDrive, mirror
- GTA4 (gta_iv_104_20091001.rar): OneDrive, mirror
- EFLC (eflc_1120_20141007.rar): OneDrive, mirror
- Bully (bully_102_20141007.rar): OneDrive, mirror
- GTA:SA compact (by iFarbod): OneDrive, mirror
- GTA:VC (by aap/The Hero): OneDrive, mirror
- Have fun!
Thank you to...Embed DLL into EXE, run EXE with fixed base address, run EXE compiled with /DYNAMICBASE
Do you like what I am doing for the GTA community? Do you want to support modders like me that do this for you? Have I made you happy with my work? Please consider donating then. This tool took about a month of endless research to make. I am also working on Magic.TXD and Eir. By modders for modders.
Feel free to ask or say anything