Photo

PC

12 replies to this topic
Mr. Mac
  • Mr. Mac

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GFX]

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:34 AM Edited by Mr. Mac, 29 September 2016 - 05:52 AM.

Hello, everyone.

I'm trying to debate either or not to buy a PC or just build one myself. My budget is 380 bucks. I need a PC that can run games like Arma 3 and CS:GO smoothly with no lag, as well as do the following with no issues:

-Run internet apps smoothly.

-Open apps/programs with decent speed.

I would like to know some good recommendations for already built computers and good parts for a custom build.  I know nothing about technical side of computers, so please simplify it for me if you are going to try to explain it to me. Admins, feel free to move this topic to the appropriate sub-forum if needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Factory-built PC Requirements:

-Has to include a copy of Windows already installed on the rig.

-Has to include keyboard and mouse.

-Has to include speakers.

(I would like for the suggested PC to come with an HD monitor, but if not, I'll just use the one I'm currently using)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Custom PC Requirements:

-Parts have to have fast shipping.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:34 AM Edited by yojc, 29 September 2016 - 08:41 AM.

$380 is a very low amount of money, especially if you need to buy the OS and peripherals as well. You won't be able to afford a PC with a decent discrete graphics card, which means the gaming performance won't be very high. That is, if the prebuilt PC requirements apply to the custom one as well. For example:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($56.95 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.71 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Microsoft Desktop 400 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($19.39 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z150 0W 2ch Speakers ($17.52 @ Amazon)
Total: $375.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-29 03:34 EDT-0400

You just have to bear in mind that it's not really a gaming rig, more like an office one. For a decent gaming performance I'd suggest changing the CPU to i3-4160 (~$115) and adding a dedicated GPU like GTX750Ti (~$100), but that's a lot more money.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

for 380$ you better just get a ps4 pro

Pcmasterrace can be better then ps4, but to be it, you will have to spend some money

• AboveAndBeyoncé, 609_uu and Smoov_Operator like this

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:40 AM

I'd save another two hundred bucks at least bro. Worth the money in the long run anyway.

• 609_uu, Smoov_Operator and Vikki_Suicide like this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:56 PM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 04 October 2016 - 02:58 PM.

You can't play Arma 3 or CSGO on a PS4 Pro, so if the OP is only looking to play PC games then suggesting a console is useless. That being said you can't run Arma 3 with no lag (I'm guessing he means fps drops) on a $380 PC. No way no how, unless you ran it at 720p on low settings.

My suggestion is to get the best spec'd prebuilt PC you can find for $400 and then when you can upgrade the video card. A better place to ask this is on a dedicated tech forum like Tom's Hardware, Overclock.net, or Anandtech to name a few

Vikki_Suicide
  • Vikki_Suicide

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

I honestly think for the budget your on you may as well be on $0 budget cause I don't think it's achievable to get what you're wanting.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Think different. Question everything.

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:27 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 12 October 2016 - 09:45 PM.

3 tips for you: buy in second-hand everything you can; prefer cheaper alternates over fancy expensive stuff that does the same job; go cheap on things you can replace easily later on, and save on things you want to last.

So, get a cheap used LCD monitor, if you don't have already own basic keyboard, mouse and speakers from a desktop, buy used and basic ones too. Sure, gaming ones are way cooler and are what pros use, but they're also incredibly more expensive and regular office versions also do the job, you can save up and upgrade in the future.

The case, PSU, RAM and all that kind of stuff have to be used out of question, and don't fancy up on the case, get a simple one that does the job, it looks bad but it works. For the CPU and GPU, it has to be AMD (aka budget gamers best friend), I'd recommend to buy new to avoid risking to get parts that already overheated, but if you plan to save up to buy better components on a near future, then used parts are good enough. RBG sh*t, RAM with heatsink, anything else than HDD as drive and watercooling are out of question, again, these fancy luxuries are the stuff you go into when you have plenty of money to spend, otherwise go for parts that do the job.

EDIT: It is archievable to get a decent machine for that price, you just have to cut on uneeded luxuries it seems a lot of other pc players are so used to they think it's essential (like those more expensive cases with glass pannels, RAM with heatsink, LEDs and such). You don't even need to go as cheap as I said, problem is it appears you don't have the peripherals you need for a computer (aka keyboard and mouse, monitor and so on). If you do, you can invest all your money on your machine itself, otherwise almost half your money goes into those and that is the problem.

Otherwise, check out this video:

Smoov_Operator
  • Smoov_Operator

Special place in hell for me and it's called a throne.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

You also need to factor in peripherals. If your overall budget is $350 at once, I would say stick to consoles. Or, do like I did, and buy part by part, little by little. The most I spent at one time was maybe $400, and I have about 3k invested. It's an amazing addiction.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:17 PM

You also need to factor in peripherals. If your overall budget is $350 at once, I would say stick to consoles. Or, do like I did, and buy part by part, little by little. The most I spent at one time was maybe $400, and I have about 3k invested. It's an amazing addiction.

p91dH0B.jpg

• Zombified Andy, Smoov_Operator and Vikki_Suicide like this

Smoov_Operator
  • Smoov_Operator

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:26 AM

nah. I had one of those before. The end of it was pretty much what promoted my build. finally. At least this way I have money for food and am healthy ;)

Vikki_Suicide
  • Vikki_Suicide

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

The thing is a PC build can be as cheap or as expensive as you like, at the end of the day so can a console, you can splurge on a $2,000 TV to go with your $300 console just as easily as any PC user can splurge over £600 on a graphics card!

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

The thing is a PC build can be as cheap or as expensive as you like, at the end of the day so can a console, you can splurge on a $2,000 TV to go with your $300 console just as easily as any PC user can splurge over £600 on a graphics card!

Yeahh....NO

You can upgrade the pc parts, you cant upgrade the ps4/xbox parts , the same 2000$ Tv that you buy for the console can be bought for the Pc so peripherals shouldnt be part of the equation
:) and to be honest it doesnt make sence buying a better tv since you will still be playing on 720p upscaled

When i first bought my 500$ pentium 3258 /gtx750 i never thought i would be spending 800$ on a gpu or 1200$ on a monitor
  • Smoov_Operator likes this

Smoov_Operator
  • Smoov_Operator

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:07 AM

I get the argument that one would like to play PC exclusive games, but for the price, I just don't see it being very functional. The best thing you can do, and it's almost impossible as they say to 'future proof', is to make sure parts you can afford will give you the experience you want when gaming. If the parts are barely going to get you 30fps and last a year before you need to add to them just to maintain that 30fps on more games, I would say it's not worth it. This is why a console is recommended to people. Not for being a dick and saying it's junk, but because it's just not practical when compared to the amount of games on a console and the experience you can get by simply getting a bigger tv.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users