Unpopular car opinions

212 replies to this topic
Twin Turbo
  • Twin Turbo

Sometimes I play with my willy and a white stuff come out

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

Generally speaking, I think turbos are the sh*t. I really do love the sound of turbo spool and blowoff valves and such when those sounds accompany an appropriate car, like a tuned Supra. But there are other times I don't like the sound of turbos. For instance, I dislike what they've done to some of the newer BMWs. The F10 M5 sounds boring in comparison to, say, the visceral E39 or the screaming E60. Also, the new M3/M4 actually sound f*cking gross, imo, and that's coming from someone who finds it very hard to dislike anything vehicle related. To me, a good example of turbocharging done right can be found in the McLaren 570S. It sounds really clean and exotic. 

To stay relevant to the thread, I'd prefer to own an E92 335is over the equivalent generation M3. There's something very appealing to me about being able to kick most peoples' asses in a race while simultaneously denying them the opportunity to lay their excuses on an ///M badge. Plus, I'm slightly more of an I6 guy than a V8 guy, even though I love both. 

• Scaglietti likes this

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

Hey now. I know a lot of turbo cars that don't sound like vaccuums. :)

If you're talking about the "popping" noise on exhausts when lifting, then I wouldn't call that backfire. A lot of my buddies like the noise, and we just call it exhaust gurgle/popping. But since they don't actually shoot fire, it's not deserving of being called backfire. :lol: They also are not dumping fuel into the exhaust because apart from being silly, that would just add unnecessary cost for lines/injectors/etc. Most of that fuel is unburnt fuel coming from the cylinders. Usually this happens on many cars if they have a leak or an exhaust has been changed out from stock. Naturally higher flowing exhausts are more likely to do it, as usually that kind of stuff gets caught in catalytics/resonators.

I don't believe they are actually doing it on purpose. I think it's just a side effect of how they are designing the exhausts and tuning the motor to run slightly rich. A motor tuned on the richer side will probably pop and gurgle a bit more, but manufacturer tunes are usually not rich enough to shoot flames on a stock car. My car would shoot flames on occasion, but that was dialed on very rich and catless, with my AFR dropping to ~10.5 wide open.

• Scaglietti likes this

turbocharger
  • turbocharger

stisni pisni, pusti zviždi

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina
  • Best Total Overhaul 2016 [Shine o' Vice] [Contribution]

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:03 AM Edited by turbocharger, 24 October 2016 - 10:03 AM.

I'd have to agree with posters above, apparently. Turbos are pretty frickin' awesome - did you see what they did with that CLA 45 AMG's engine? They turbocharged it to death, making it the most powerful 4-cylinder engine in a production car, a whopping 381 bhp! That's some serious power for a 2.0 liter engine.
Also, I too love to hear the turbo whistle, even on sh*tty 1.9 TDI engines. Not saying that they are bad, they're probably the most durable engines meant for everyday-use cars, it's just that the most of the vehicles around here are powered by afore mentioned machine, so I guess I'm excused.
Gargh-a-grooooooooo!

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

Lol I did say I like AMG turbos. And for the most part Audi turbos and most M turbos as well. Just hating on the ones that sound like sh*t because of the decisiom to downsize and turbo or the ones that overdo the pops and crackles. My earlier comment was kind of meh.
  • turbocharger likes this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:10 AM

I hate technology on cars. I mean, some cars have so much gadgets, they look like a smartphone.
  • Street Mix, Scaglietti and HeavyDuke like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

I hate technology on cars. I mean, some cars have so much gadgets, they look like a smartphone.

I like simplicity but I also like tech if it's laid out nice and looks badass. For instance, the tech in a lot of modern BMWs looks mediocre and cheesy. But the new Panamera Turbo has a badass interior. It's so high-tech looking but it doesn't shove it down your throat, it's still simple looking like you could just get in and drive not caring about any of that other stuff.

• Outcast likes this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:51 AM Edited by SouthLand, 26 October 2016 - 02:32 PM.

The only tech I need: A/C and a radio with USB. The rest it just takes space and adds Weight.
  • JRC99 likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

When I was doing lots of distance driving cruise control was great. And decent Nav, though phones beat cars at that any day of the week. And hands free is pretty useful.

They're hardly a weight burden mind.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

I've driven great distances as well and i have never used cruise control. I agree is a very useful thing, but i must be weird, because it annoys me a lot since i don't feel 100% in control of my car. Decent NAV you have a lot of After market ones you can use for your car and then, use them for your bike as well. Hands free is also a nice feature, but once again, i don't have the need of using it since I don't pay attention to my phone whatsoever, and if someone calls me, they can wait until i get to my destination. If i am waiting for an important call I pull over since I think that when you are having an important phone call, you can't pay attention to anything else (or atleast me).

I get your point though, but i was talking about touch screans with thousands of options that makes it impossible for you to use when driving.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:34 PM Edited by epoxi, 27 October 2016 - 10:35 PM.

There isn't much functionality a double-DIN head unit won't cover, and at least those can be replaced/upgraded unlike the ageing OEM screen embedded into the modern car's dashboard.

I suppose things like reversing cameras and sensors can't be done properly aftermarket without lots of tinkering, or proper buttons to control things (which aren't in fashion anyway).

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:38 AM

I'd have to agree with posters above, apparently. Turbos are pretty frickin' awesome - did you see what they did with that CLA 45 AMG's engine? They turbocharged it to death, making it the most powerful 4-cylinder engine in a production car, a whopping 381 bhp! That's some serious power for a 2.0 liter engine.

Mitsubishi did this more than 10 years ago with the Evolution FQ-400, hitting 405bhp. And it may still hold the record for a 2L turbo,.

Although it's not surprising lol. The 4G63 may as well be the third corner of the Japanese motor triangle, along with the 2JZ and RB26.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:32 AM

The most impressive thing about the A45 engine is the comparative civility despite the power output per litre. I've never driven an FQ400 but I have a couple of 340s and 360s, and refined, civil engines they are not. I mean you wouldn't expect them to be, or really even want them to be given the platform to which they are attached, but they drive very much like a pretty conventional four banger with a massive turbo strapped to the side which lets be honest is basically what they are.

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

I would bet a huge part of that feeling of civility is due to the the age difference between the cars, as well as one of them being paired with a luxury marque. The other motor on the other hand, is mated to a rally car with a manual gearbox from a manufacturer that sells otherwise unremarkable econoboxes. Put a smooth DCT on the 4G63 with a nice quieter exhaust and a luxury interior, and it will gain that civility. Stick that AMG engine in a Mitsu rally car with a traditional 5 speed and rumbly exhaust, and suddenly it's not so civil. The Evolution may feel like a conventional four banger with a massive turbo on it (because it is), but the AMG motor is not so different. There's not much you can do to improve smoothness and spooling on a 2.0L apart from using a twin scroll housing and manifolds.

At the end of the day, engines are just big blocks of metal holding back little explosions. The motor on the A45 doesn't do this any differently from the 4G63. It's rawness is just hidden well under all the luxury. So yes, the A45 is impressive, but because of the car as a whole and how well it masks that rawness. Not particularly because of the motor. If we took both motors out of both cars and put them into a go-kart, I doubt either of them will feel very civil.

With that said, both motors are indeed impressive. And as an FI lover, I'm all for it.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:07 PM

I don't think well specc'd Panameras, first-gen and second-gen, are ugly even at the slightest. And I want to pimp slap anyone who disagrees. :p

slohbur
  • slohbur

- - -✄- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Major Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:30 PM

I love the sound of straight cut gears.

• Android likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

I'm finding I like convertibles, even more than hardtops.

• Android likes this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:10 PM Edited by epoxi, 30 October 2016 - 11:11 PM.

I'm finding I like convertibles, even more than hardtops.

The ultimate test...

kDorO3n.jpg

Hnng.
  • Scaglietti and Android like this

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:26 PM

I don't think well specc'd Panameras, first-gen and second-gen, are ugly even at the slightest. And I want to pimp slap anyone who disagrees. :p

The base model with blank switches doe ...

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:57 AM

Base model anythings make me want to barf. Someone will brag "Oh I've got a Merc" and then you see it and it's a white C250 with a hideous beige and brown interior on 16" wheels that look like they belong on a base model Yaris. No options. I'd rather have a fully loaded Camry, it'll even look better and have a better sound system.
  • epoxi likes this

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

I hate the squeaky sounding blow off valves that sound like you're violating a squirrel every time you lift the throttle.

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:53 PM Edited by Scaglietti, 13 November 2016 - 10:54 PM.

I've never liked the look of the Ferrari 348/F355. Always thought it looked like a cheap sports car inside and out with a Ferrari badge. It may sound and drive very good but I don't care for it. Always kind of skipped it when looking at mid-engine V8 Ferraris.

JRC99
  • JRC99

Dipsh*t

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:16 AM

I love the sound of straight cut gears.

Like this? 

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:05 PM

The only tech I need: A/C and a radio with USB. The rest it just takes space and adds Weight.

If anything the A/C should be removed because that sucks a couple of horses on its own.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:43 PM

If anything the A/C should be removed because that sucks a couple of horses on its own.
Not living in Spain it shouldn't be. Last time I was in Andalusia it didn't drop below 40°C at midday once in two weeks.
  • Scaglietti and SouthLand like this

Dottie
  • Dottie

Impossible relimitation on the main part

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

With Michigan's hugely inconsistent weather, an A/C and a heater are necessary. But other than that and a radio, the rest of that infotainment garbage and most of the console can take a hike.

Ive probably mentioned this long long ago, but i despise upright seating and the fact that manufacturers are shoving it into vehicles that shouldn't have them. I find it quite uncomfortable and lacking in head space in smaller vehicles.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:49 PM Edited by Scaglietti, 16 November 2016 - 04:31 PM.

I'm pretty simple when it comes to driving but, as long as it's well designed, all of that stuff is welcome. :)

Edit: I LOVE exposed carbon fiber. People whine "oh it's gaudy you're a showoff I don't need to see it" I couldn't care less. Would I buy a car with fully exposed carbon fiber? No. But I love seeing the complex weave texture it reminds me of how the car was made. Call it tacky all you want, I love it.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

Not living in Spain it shouldn't be. Last time I was in Andalusia it didn't drop below 40°C at midday once in two weeks.

Add the extreme humidity in the North East and you get the recipe to one of the hottest and most anoying temperatures of .

A lot of car enthusiast here know that a decent intercooler is a must when modifying a car.

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:18 AM

I'm sure that missing .07 horse really hurts climbing steep hills.

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:36 AM Edited by DangerZ0neX, 17 November 2016 - 11:37 AM.

I actually like the newly redesigned Lexus models.

I would rather get a RX Hybrid or Prius over any sport sedan of my choice, they're easier to maintain and are super reliable.

I would wish that Volvo is more successful in the Middle East since I'm starting to see more Geelys on the streets now, especially the Emgrand GT model.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:38 PM

I've not been to China for a couple years now but it seems like Chinese automakers have really stepped up their game since I was last there.

• Scaglietti likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users