227 replies to this topic
SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:44 PM

After reading this thread: http://gtaforums.com...ing-car-people/

I thought it would be nice to have a "Unpopular car opinions" thread just to share different and unusual point of views.

So, share yours.

Disclamer:

Every opinion about anything car related shared on this topic, are personal and everybody has their right to express themselves, even if you think "they are wrong". So at least make an effort to Agree to Disagree.

Here are a few of mine:

- I dislike TESLA a lot. Their car designs are very unattractive. The interior looks boring and cheap, the massive screen looks ridiculous and no matter how much torque their cars have, i wouldn't own one if i could.

I'll add more later on.

• Android and geraldflesy like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:58 PM Edited by Scaglietti, 21 September 2016 - 04:00 PM.

The Tesla is one of the best cars I've sat and ridden in. It's still something my mom wants after her settlement. I understand your point though.

My unpopular opinion: Outside of the new stupid E-Class, SLC43 "AMG" and GLC Coupe, everything Mercedes has been doing as of lately as been spectacular. I can tell each car apart from each other easily and they are very stylish.

I also LOVE Lexus. Especially the RCF and GSF and that super eccentric IS F-Sport. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

BMW is getting very, very boring. I don't like most of their current models. Currently I only like the 6-Series/M6, i8, 2-Series/M2 and M5. Can't stand the M3/M4. Awful engine note, weird proportions.

The GTC4Lusso is ghastly and a severe downground in appearance compared to the controversial FF I loved. Same story with the California.

Audis are very cool and they don't look exactly the same. Post 2015-Audi kind of sucks though.
  • epoxi and Android like this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:42 PM Edited by epoxi, 21 September 2016 - 05:43 PM.

I strongly disagree on the Mercedes and Audi front, they all look the same to me, but otherwise I agree with Scaglietti on all counts.

In terms of finish the Tesla isn't up to par with other cars in the same class, I would say the quality is similar to Aston Martin: the car has a premium spirit but seems built like a mid-range car.

However I am totally fine with that trade-off because they are doing something remarkable, especially when you consider even the big automakers haven't had the balls or initiative to do it. They make a normal-looking affordable electric car, with a practical range, a good warranty and enough performance to reassure people that going electric is nothing to fear.
  • Scaglietti likes this

Formula_puck
  • Formula_puck

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:13 PM Edited by Oldman_Jenkins, 21 September 2016 - 09:13 PM.

I disagree with Scaglietti regarding BMW's. I understand that since they have the same body types their cars can get boring to some, but their style will always be unique to me. And the M3/M4 is a beauty in its own.

I agree with Epoxi's last paragraph fully.

Dottie
  • Dottie

Back from the dead-ish

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:05 PM

Most opinions I posted are formulated by the current market of the US:

Its in the spoiler cus its long :)

Spoiler

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:43 PM

I disagree with Scaglietti regarding BMW's. I understand that since they have the same body types their cars can get boring to some, but their style will always be unique to me. And the M3/M4 is a beauty in its own.

I agree with Epoxi's last paragraph fully.

It's not the body style, obviously if I just said I like Mercs and Audis which also have similar body types. The BMWs just bore the hell out of me. There's like no spice. I saw a new 7 Series today and the front looked god awful. The side looked like it had a hocky stick glued to it and the rear is too meaty and busy looking.

I mean I still like the brand but post-2014 they're mostly boring.

Also I love the new Maximas. I know a lot of people think they're fugly. My mom just signed for one today and it looks sharp as hell.
  • Formula_puck likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • Snap Battle Season 3 Winner [X360]
    The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:52 PM

I think the new Prius looks cool..

• Scaglietti, DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and geraldflesy like this

Dottie
  • Dottie

Back from the dead-ish

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:54 PM Edited by Dottie, 21 September 2016 - 11:11 PM.

I think the new Prius looks cool..

I think you need to get your eyes checked :^: But that's your opinion. It definitely looks unique I'll give toyota that. At least they didn't go the generic car route with it

I didnt really mind the appearance of the 1st gen prius (the 1990's one) but it seems to get uglier and uglier with each successive generation

Murciélago
  • Murciélago

💵

• Facade Corporation
  • None

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:24 PM

I can usually tell cars apart right away but I have to agree that all the Mercs look the same now. I have trouble telling them apart and the debadging doesn't help.

PeasantGaming > U
  • PeasantGaming > U

We all gotta start somewhere.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:38 PM Edited by PeasantGaming > U, 21 September 2016 - 11:41 PM.

Trash talking the Tesla, a feat in modern engineering... really?

I'll just leave this here because I disagree.

• Scaglietti likes this

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:52 PM Edited by TheFrank, 21 September 2016 - 11:52 PM.

Eh, 11 sec car beats 12 sec cars ...

EVs have been around for as long as ICEs.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:57 PM

-Manual licences should be made standard. It makes no sense to me when people only learn to drive autos.

-Outside a select few I find most supercars/hypercars to look as ugly as a hat full of assholes.

• epoxi, Scaglietti and marco6158 like this

PeasantGaming > U
  • PeasantGaming > U

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:01 AM Edited by PeasantGaming > U, 22 September 2016 - 12:06 AM.

Eh, 11 sec car beats 12 sec cars ...

EVs have been around for as long as ICEs.

...and how long have they been out running or keeping up with corvettes in the 1/4 mile?    Sure EV's have been around for a long time. But they've all been slow puss machines until recently.

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:10 AM

Don't recall if anyone ran a Citicar against a Vette back in the 70s on the 1/4.

-Manual licences should be made standard. It makes no sense to me when people only learn to drive autos.

To most driving is a chore, they'll never drive anything other than an auto appliance. Just teach them how to be competent drivers.

unbid
  • unbid

Sgt. Pooper Lonely Farts Club

• Zaibatsu
  • Indonesia

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:12 AM Edited by unbid, 22 September 2016 - 12:12 AM.

I like the appearance of the AMC Gremlin and Pacer. It's more on the unique side rather than ugly.
  • epoxi, Scaglietti and GrudgefromSanAndreas like this

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

hurry up with my damn croissants

• The Connection
  • Mexico
  • Worst Ferrari
    Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:12 AM Edited by Testarossa, 22 September 2016 - 12:13 AM.

@two posts above It's just an opinion mate.

-I like Smart cars, especially the newer one since it improved the looks that the first gen and second gen had.

-I think the new Camaro is a pretty "meh" car and would rather own either a Challenger or a Mustang.

-Yay for edgier designs, meh to round and bloated.

-The Bugatti Veyron is a pretty cool car and shouldn't be hated as much as it is by "car guys".

-I actually enjoy the Ken Block gymkhana vids.

-I am not excited as much for the new Supra, I think it will be an alright car, but not anything ground-breaking or similar.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:14 AM

-Outside a select few I find most supercars/hypercars to look as ugly as a hat full of assholes.

Manual should be standard. I'd love to learn stick but we have no manuals in the family and they donp't teach it. Guess I'll have to get an auto Civic. :(

PeasantGaming > U
  • PeasantGaming > U

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:18 AM

Guess I'll have to get an auto Civic. :(

:sui:   please don't  :p

• Algonquin Assassin, Dottie and Scaglietti like this

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:03 AM

I'm bored by modern/new cars at car shows. They just have no appeal to me whatsoever, even if they've been extensively modified. It's not just that I prefer classic cars, either; I would actually rather be at a car meet for bone stock 90's sh*tboxes like mine than a meet for McLarens, Ferraris and so on. I'm not trying to be a snob, like, "oh these new cars have no personality, no soul," I just really don't care about them.
  • epoxi, Sunrise Driver, Scaglietti and 1 other like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:25 AM

On a sort of similar note, seeing fancy cars at a show kind of bores me. They're exciting when you randomly spot them when out and about but at shows it really has to be special. And car meets themselves kind of annoy me when I'm walking around because it's so crowded and it's a pain to get a good shot because people. For example, seeing an F430 crowded with people and parked next to a sh*t load of other cars is far less exciting than seeing one parked far from every one in a photogenic spot on your trip to the store. I'll go out of my way to get good shots then.

That's why I spot. I see spotting is seen as kind of a trend and some car pages criticize it on IG. I've always done it because it's fun. And right now it's good practice for trying to improve my photography skills with the new camera and everything.

• Pat likes this

seven50iL
  • seven50iL

Bmw Over Bullsh*t

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:38 AM

Life is too short to drive a boring car. Why settle for a horrible car if you can get something nice? You can get so many nice cars on craigi for cheap....I would rather take public transportation if I know I am not satisfied with my purchase. (Unless im in a situation that I have to sacrifice for ex. having a new kid or some sort which is completely understandable)

• Pat and Scaglietti like this

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:04 AM Edited by Pat, 22 September 2016 - 03:09 AM.

And car meets themselves kind of annoy me when I'm walking around because it's so crowded and it's a pain to get a good shot because people.

Holy sh*t, this. Usually if it's just one or two people, they'll notice you and get out of your way, but when I was at ACD Festival (I know, I still need to upload that album) the nicest cars usually had like twenty people surrounding them and no matter how long I waited they would never f*cking leave. I had to skip taking shots of some of the best cars there just because people would never stop crowding around them. People really need to be more self-aware at car shows; even when I'm focusing on taking shots myself, I always make sure I'm not in anyone's way and that others can get their shots too. If I can do that while taking pictures, there's no good reason that you can't do it when you're just looking.

@above: completely agreed. Owning my L7 was always a rollercoaster, dealing with issues like a lack of power steering/power brakes, a leaking heater core, and other such things. For $800 I probably could've found a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord that would have lasted me longer with less problems, but I don't regret the L7 at all because it was such a unique and interesting car. Even with a horrible paintjob and stock 15" wheels it was a head turner. I constantly received compliments from people that had no idea what it was, people that said they loved seeing the classics still out and about like that. For me, owning a car is never going to be about what makes the most sense, it's going to be about what I'll get the most enjoyment out of. I formed a bond with my L7, and I want to form that same kind of bond with my E34, but I never would have with an average econobox.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:53 AM Edited by Svip, 22 September 2016 - 05:53 AM.

This may not actually be an unpopular opinion, but I am going to use this topic to rant.

Citroën is dead to me. Not retroactively, it's just that they've killed themselves. Citroën died when the Xantia went out of production.[1]

PSA Peugeot Citroën ("PSA") have created a new website to celebrate Citroën's heritage, called Citroën Origins. The site contains old and new Citroën models, each of which you can zoom in on and get information about that model. The site looks slick, it's well made and polished. Not that it contains much new information to me, but it's still fun to look at it.

Or so it would have been it wasn't for two glaring omissions. Look at the site again. Where is the Citroën DS? Where is the SM? Not only are they not there, but the cars that are their direct predecessors make no mention of them despite them heavily influenced by them. In order words, there is a huge 20 year gap in their collection.

This would be like Porsche making a website of their models, but skipping the original 911. Or Jaguar avoiding the E-Type. Or Lamborghini denying the Miura. The DS is as Citroën a car can be.

But not anymore. PSA is involved in some serious Stalinistic historical revisionism. All in the name of marketing. You've may have heard about their new "DS" brand (that is nothing like the origin DS, for the record), that's now a separate brand from Citroën. Their website has a heritage site, where you can actually find PSA talking about the original Citroën DS. But - please notice - how the site never refers to it as such. The site only calls it the DS (or the ID or the SM), it is never a Citroën.

Ian Seabrook makes has an interesting article entitled "Citroën destroys brand loyalty", where he wonders why Peugeot even kept the Citroën brand alive, considering how they've really just destroying it. Or rather, making it bland.

It's not that their modern lineup was ever interesting. Like I said, the Xantia (with the possible exception of the C6) was the last interesting car made under the Citroën brand. And the last one to be made in the spirit of Citroën; being unconventional. The Xantia was the last model to have the full hydropneumatic system on steering, brakes and suspension (the later C5 and C6 only had it on the suspension). And the Activa addition was a great testament to Citroën pushing the envelope.

So when I say Citroën is dead to me, their older models still have a special place in my heart, but I cannot let their modern actions influence my feelings upon those models. Just like I cannot let the Star Wars prequels ruin the original trilogy. I'll just pretend it never happened. As such, PSA only really have one brand in my eyes; Peugeot.

Thanks for having the opportunity to waste your time.

[1] The C6 was a last hurrah to rekindle the old brand, but the C6 was too little too late.
  • unbid and Testarossa like this

marco6158
  • marco6158

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

I like new French cars, most of them. I like their look and how they are made. Sure some are cheaper (especially interiors), but I consider them reliable cars (talking about Renaults but I've had good impressions on the other manifacturers too).

I know many people that owns Renault and/or bought a Renault because we are very happy with them and none of them is bitching about their reliability and I can't really stand why people don't like them when probally never had one.

If you have had some bad experience with these cars I'd be happy to hear them!

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

I absolutely despise modified Lamborghini Gallardos and Murcielagos with tinted taillights. I especially hate the first-gen ones with facelifted bumpers installed. They just look awful. I miss seeing stock original Gallardos and Murcielagos.

Twin Turbo
  • Twin Turbo

Sometimes I play with my willy and a white stuff come out

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:33 AM

In the right trim the new Altima looks nice:

Spoiler

Same with the new Maxima, I guess, but it looks a bit too corporate and the front is a little messy.

I also don't have an interest in obscure VAG vehicles nor the Euro RS Fords that people seem to have around here.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:03 AM Edited by Scaglietti, 23 September 2016 - 02:08 PM.

In the right trim the new Altima looks nice:

Spoiler

Same with the new Maxima, I guess, but it looks a bit too corporate and the front is a little messy.

I also don't have an interest in obscure VAG vehicles nor the Euro RS Fords that people seem to have around here.

I agree about the Maxima. My mom is supposed to pick up her new SR next week or the following. It's a really dark pearlescent blue with the orange/tan interior and it's pretty amazing. The interior is really the party piece, I prefer it to the Q50 even if the metal inlays are fake (though they did a good job making them look real).

And extension to my last post:
I actually can't stand most modified expensive cars. Most of them just look wrong to me. Very rarely do I like a set of custom rims or splitters or wings. There could be a car that I like with ugly wheels and I will only look at it one time and then ignore it. I'm very picky.

PeasantGaming > U
  • PeasantGaming > U

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:56 PM

I absolutely despise modified Lamborghini Gallardos and Murcielagos with tinted taillights. I especially hate the first-gen ones with facelifted bumpers installed. They just look awful. I miss seeing stock original Gallardos and Murcielagos.

Enjoy this UGR Gallardo 2000hp...From my Home State!

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:20 PM

I got a few.

-I very much prefer the 71-73 Mustang bodystyle to the very popular 65-70 bodystyles.

-I don't like car meets. I remember when we just called them cruise in's. When it wasn't a bunch of punks drooling over a Lambo with too much camber. If it isn't called a car show or cruise in, I don't attend. 

-I like most cars, and I mean most cars, and can appreciate all of them for what they are or intended purpose is. 

-I like heavily modified cars, so long as those modifications do not mock race car modifications. For example a huge wing on a car that has 5 degrees of camber and stretched tires. Makes no sense as the car could never benefit from increased downforce, it barely has any tire on the ground to begin with. Meh, anyways.

• MLB, Android and PeasantGaming > U like this

Twin Turbo
  • Twin Turbo

Sometimes I play with my willy and a white stuff come out

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:17 AM Edited by Twin Turbo, 24 September 2016 - 01:26 AM.

I agree about the Maxima. 

Grats to your mom, hope it's an enjoyable vehicle. And SHlllT scratch that about my comment about the Maxima looking "too corporate." It actually looks pretty clean and badass, especially in dark colours.

Spoiler

Furthermore, I love the way the 996 looks. I even like the (facelifted) "fried-egg" headlights.

Spoiler

I prefer the McLaren 570S (and related models) to the 650S (and related models).

• Scaglietti and Captain Owlfeg like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users