Photo

Heavy Revolver PvP Guide

26 replies to this topic
FirstDegreeDonny
  • FirstDegreeDonny

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:56 PM Edited by FirstDegreeDonny, 10 April 2017 - 03:48 PM.

The heavy revolver in pvp? I know. Sounds unlikely. Seems improbable. You poor deluded creature. Let me help you out...

Truth is, the heavy revolver is one of the most underrated weapons in the game. It gets a lot of love for how it looks, but hardly anyone even scarcely considers its practicality. If used correctly, it can beat out such high tier gun game weapons as the Special Carbine and the Combat MG. I tell you now though, it won't be easy. The deadliest of tools aren't simple to master, they never are. Accurately quick scoping homing rockets on a moving player, for example. It takes tons of practice against unpredictable and varied opponents.

First off, the basic mechanics of the gun. These are absolutely the most important bits, and in this case knowledge really is power. A vital facet of the heavy revolver is knowing where to aim and how to properly shoot, since you can only fire one bullet at a time. High risk, yes, but also high reward, and with practice the risk can be all but removed.
--------------------------------------------------------
*The Heavy Revolver has a damage fall off multiplier of X1 and an accuracy spread of 0.2. This means that whether you shoot a player at point blank or from beyond the lock-on distance, it'll still deal the same amount of damage. This makes the gun very reliable at many ranges, though I'd suggest having the element of surprise on your side if you plan on sniping with it. Any decent player with a proper sniper rifle will make you eat dirt if you miss.
---
*It takes two shots to the body to kill a high ranked player with no armor. It takes three to the body if they have super heavy armor on.
---
*It takes two headshots if they have on a bulletproof helmet.
---
*It has a damage modifier of 0.85 for limb damage, as opposed to the 0.5 of assault rifles.
---
*If you're on Bullshark, you can kill unarmored players with a single body shot. A revolver in a Death Match with Bullshark is a wonderful way to murder the hell out of everything.
---
*This is by the MOST IMPORTANT fact. You can skip the revolver's cocking animation if you roll from a crouched position after firing. Most players try to fire the revolver when standing and get riddled with bullets if they miss the headshot, since they'll be cocking the hammer instead of rolling. Always hit the crouch button when you get into a gunfight.
---

Now that I've laid out the basics, I'll make clear the weapon's potential. Timing your roll better than your enemy's is a given. It's the key to winning with assault rifles in a direct confrontation, and the heavy revolver is no different. If you are crouching, you can roll as well as them. You can only fire one per roll though, so those shots need to count. As I said, it's a very reliable and damaging gun. Two shots to the body is certain death for an unarmored player. Think about how many times you roll in an assault rifle bout. You can simply auto-aim twice and get an easy kill. Headshots are no problem if you remember this important rule...

AIM FIRST, FIRE SECOND!

Many players who are used to assault rifles begin firing the moment they are out of a roll, drawing a line of heat up the opponent's body and into the head. That's a big no-no with the revolver. Tilt up first and then fire, don't try both at the exact same time. Start out slow, getting a visible bead on each player's head before firing. You might lose on the draw for awhile, but then the muscle memory awakens. You'll be able to score wicked fast headshots, without even needing to bead first.

The moment a player steps into view, if they don't predict and roll with your first shot, it'll be instant death for them. If they have a helmet on, make sure you roll the moment they do for the first headshot, and watch carefully to see if they stand still or roll after getting hit. React accordingly. If you can just get that first headshot off before or after they roll, then you just need to shoot them once more in the body for the kill, an instant auto-aim shot after you roll. You might need to delay your own roll if they have good timing, otherwise they might rise up right after you and blow your dome off.

Here's some techniques put into practice during a deathmatch I had with a friend.

Just remember that no matter what protection they have on, you can kill them in two shots guaranteed. Get good at scoring the first headshot, getting that first blood. Sometimes it can be hard to discern what gear they have, so play it safe and ALWAYS assume you'll need a headshot followed by a body shot to win. I cannot stress this enough.

Final tip, friends. You may notice that it's very hard to headshot players that are running to the side. Your shot will always miss their head by a few inches. If they are running around, then just focus on quickly shooting them in the body until they draw a bead on you. After they take aim, then go for the head.
  • Mr.ClaudeFan, CaptianBackwoods, -KM- and 11 others like this

Hunter
  • Hunter

Hunter civil rights activist

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

---

*This is by the MOST IMPORTANT fact. You can skip the revolver's cocking animation if you roll from a crouched position after firing. Most players try to fire the revolver when standing and get riddled with bullets if they miss the headshot, since they'll be cocking the hammer instead of rolling. Always hit the crouch button when you get into a gunfight.

---

I don't really get this. Crouch? Do you mean, like, take cover? Or go into "stealth" mode?

On another note, I like to use it against helicopters while in the Insurgent:

• Mervz789 and Hécate-II like this

Mervz789
  • Mervz789

Old name was Shad0w_Sc4l3?

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:44 PM Edited by Shad0w_Sc4l3, 22 September 2016 - 10:24 AM.

---

---

I don't really get this. Crouch? Do you mean, like, take cover? Or go into "stealth" mode?

On another note, I like to use it against helicopters while in the Insurgent:

He means sneak mode. I tried it myself and I skip the cocking animation. I wonder if this works with the Marksman Pistol...

Edit: It doesn't work with the marksman pistol :(

• hei3enberg, m2roadwarrior and Hunter like this

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:18 AM

Very nice, well written, informative guide OP. I'd throw a pic or two and maybe a video in there and I'd say this is the best thread I have seen in a long time.
  • Mervz789 likes this

Gridl0k
  • Gridl0k

Rolling Thunder

• GTAF Crew
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

*It takes two shots to the body to kill a high ranked player with no armor. It takes three to the body if they have super heavy armor on.

---

*It takes two headshots if they have on a bulletproof helmet.

---

*If a player has both a bulletproof helmet and super heavy armor on, you can kill them with one headshot and one body/limb shot.

Is this accurate?

PS much love for the revolver, thanks for the reload tip :D

• hei3enberg and Mervz789 like this

D.B. Cooper
  • D.B. Cooper

Seems like it's my turn again

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:19 AM

The Heavy Revolver is honestly my favourite weapon in the entire game and I'm very happy to see other people also like using it. I didn't know about the stealth mode and roll trick to fire faster, so I decided to make a short video showcasing my favourite revolver trick.

I did it in first person for the purpose of the video but it works in third person as well. Simply double-tap TAB (Or the equivalent on your controller) to quickly unequip then re-equip the Revolver after firing it and you can fire with a much shorter interval bypassing the cocking animation completely. You just need to be careful to get the timing right because if you hit tab one too many times and try firing you're gonna punch the air and leave yourself wide open to attacks.

Regular firing speed with cocking kept in for comparison.

• Mr.ClaudeFan, hei3enberg, size_m and 7 others like this

Ranna
  • Ranna

Strawberry Popsicle

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

The Heavy Revolver is honestly my favourite weapon in the entire game and I'm very happy to see other people also like using it. I didn't know about the stealth mode and roll trick to fire faster, so I decided to make a short video showcasing my favourite revolver trick.

I did it in first person for the purpose of the video but it works in third person as well. Simply double-tap TAB (Or the equivalent on your controller) to quickly unequip then re-equip the Revolver after firing it and you can fire with a much shorter interval bypassing the cocking animation completely. You just need to be careful to get the timing right because if you hit tab one too many times and try firing you're gonna punch the air and leave yourself wide open to attacks.

Regular firing speed with cocking kept in for comparison.

Revolvers are literally the best pistols ever, other than a few older ones.

• Mr.ClaudeFan and Mervz789 like this

D.B. Cooper
  • D.B. Cooper

Seems like it's my turn again

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

The Heavy Revolver is also really good at blowing up cars (and basically everything else) really quickly

I would have been able to get the whole explosion in the video if it weren't for those meddlin' cops.

And I swear one day I'll actually record some PvP with it.

• the J is for Julia likes this

Dream-_-Traveler
  • Dream-_-Traveler

Thanks4TheMemoriesGTAIV <3 ILY ALL.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:04 PM Edited by Dream-_-Traveler, 02 October 2016 - 05:31 PM.

I literally sniped one of those marksmen whores with two well placed shots.

Alot easier than one would think.

I would have never used that gun if it were not for this topic.

Btw the the "crouch/sneak" trick only skips the cocking animation but the delay is still there.
  • Mr.ClaudeFan and Mervz789 like this

FirstDegreeDonny
  • FirstDegreeDonny

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:19 AM Edited by FirstDegreeDonny, 04 October 2016 - 03:23 AM.

Here's a video of a deathmatch I had with a friend. He used an assault rifle, I used the revolver. As you can see, it's an absolutely viable choice in PvP. By the way, it only recorded my voice since we weren't in a party, but I'm having a conversation with him throughout. I'll also put this video into my first post to complement the guide.

[youtube][/youtube]

• Mr.ClaudeFan and Hécate-II like this

FirstDegreeDonny
  • FirstDegreeDonny

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:37 AM

Bump.

FirstDegreeDonny
  • FirstDegreeDonny

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:45 AM Edited by FirstDegreeDonny, 27 December 2016 - 05:47 AM.

Double post.

the J is for Julia
  • the J is for Julia

Cells interlinked within cells interlinked

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:48 AM

Wow, that stealth mode cancel! Nice tips guys.

Mr.ClaudeFan
  • Mr.ClaudeFan

Lord of Liberty (City)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

Now I wanna start using the Revolver more; I replaced it on my wheel (CEO Weapon Locker) in favor of the Marksman Pistol. Great guide here!

• DIRTY MARTINI likes this

BodyCounter
  • BodyCounter

...over 5 digits and counting.....

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:31 PM Edited by BodyCounter, 29 December 2016 - 03:33 PM.

watches video.......

pfft .... auto aim, roll fest and 3rd person, how amatuer.

Real shooters use FPV and Free Aim, especially with a cannon like this.

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:48 AM

watches video.......

pfft .... auto aim, roll fest and 3rd person, how amatuer.

Real shooters use FPV and Free Aim, especially with a cannon like this.

real shooters don't play gta
  • hei3enberg, A Maned Wolf, Mach1bud and 7 others like this

FirstDegreeDonny
  • FirstDegreeDonny

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:51 AM

Whining about how GTA doesn't favor free aiming is about as useful as a turd tamale. If you don't like how your lobbies are empty, go play COD instead.
  • Alfarmuth likes this

FirstDegreeDonny
  • FirstDegreeDonny

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:59 AM

By the way, if anybody wants to know a great way to get good at headshots, I'd recommend Gang Bang. Just a few games of it with a good player can boost your skill significantly.

Here's an old recording from a Gang Bang training session, back when I was still a noob, just so you can get the general idea of how helpful this sort of job is.

Classique
  • Classique

That car manufacturer who likes to mock Declasse.

• Members
  • Denmark
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Helpfulness Award [GTAV]

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Spoiler

Your YouTube video name is just perfect.

11c.jpg

• DarkSavageDeathlyCloud and mutaeh like this

MagnumOpuz
  • MagnumOpuz

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:24 AM

FirstDegreeDonny
  • FirstDegreeDonny

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:52 PM Edited by FirstDegreeDonny, 01 March 2017 - 10:53 PM.

Found another tidbit. If you roll first and then shoot, the revolver fires off the initial shot slightly faster than if you had rolled after shooting first. Basically roll + shoot = faster than shoot + roll + shoot, but of course rolling first is usually a bad idea. Still, might be useful to know one day!

FirstDegreeDonny
  • FirstDegreeDonny

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

I'll have a video up soon with some new revolver tips I discovered. Keep an eye out!

Darkshadows
  • Darkshadows

Boring guy

• Members
  • Colombia

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

I might start to use the revolver more now that i saw its potential

SDRbasura
  • SDRbasura

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Argentina

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:37 PM

Is this for like ps4/XB1/PC only or something? I play on my ps3 and i couldnt find it in ammunation

Prince_Polaris
  • Prince_Polaris

Where did I park my Tornado?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:36 PM

What about my Marksman Pistol? :(  Does more damage than the revolver don't ya know~

spukin
  • spukin

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:57 AM

Kilking with it in fa is hella difficult but satisfying 

• TheMckeever and IamCourtney like this

FirstDegreeDonny
  • FirstDegreeDonny

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

The MKII pistol with hollow points is great for similar headshots. I highly reccomend it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users