Photo

Annoying "Car People"

49 replies to this topic
HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:21 PM Edited by HeavyDuke, 23 February 2017 - 04:25 PM.

You're sensitive as f*ck if you think I'm being a snob about identifying modern Mercs. Grow some thicker fore skin. :)

Snob.

Seriously though, i to am very good at identifying cars.

Porsche Cayman

eagle-carrie-1-.jpg

Ferrari California

SWNS_PORSCHE_COPY_14.jpg

Porsche Macan.

zJFO0hZ.jpg

Nissan GT-R

chinese_car_15.jpg

• Outcast, Scaglietti, xolov and 1 other like this

Blessed Viper
  • Blessed Viper

Humbly Pretentious

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

I used to get frustrated with people like this. Those who judge cars they've never even seen in real life, those who judge your car based on the transmission & brand. Even going as far as to judge you as a person based on stereotypes associated with your car's brand. Numbers, numbers, numbers even if they don't even have a car themselves. Trust me, I know all about being judged, I drive a V6 SN95 Mustang lol. 

Just ignore them & take everything lightly, at the end of the day, it's your car.

• Scaglietti and HeavyDuke like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

I used to get frustrated with people like this. Those who judge cars they've never even seen in real life, those who judge your car based on the transmission & brand. Even going as far as to judge you as a person based on stereotypes associated with your car's brand. Numbers, numbers, numbers even if they don't even have a car themselves. Trust me, I know all about being judged, I drive a V6 SN95 Mustang lol. 

Just ignore them & take everything lightly, at the end of the day, it's your car.

That moment when you arive at a car show with a V6 mustang.

qHINDuE.jpg

Seriously though, why would you give a damn about what anyone els except yourself thinks about your car/engine/trany right? Just like people who only like expensive cars.

• Scaglietti and Grotti.Collector like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:37 AM Edited by Scaglietti, 26 February 2017 - 12:38 AM.

In response to my "spots" from this week.

"have you ever took a pic of a car older than you"

smgdh, the snobbery is real. And as if I only like new cars, seeing as I've complained in the past about people only liking new stuff and dismissing older cars or non-exotics.

This is why the car community is so trash...

• HeavyDuke likes this

Milfrah
  • Milfrah

Bad Mommy

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:06 PM

Was completely unaware of how harsh the car scene could be until fairly recently.

I got my first Pontiac G8 GT brand new back in 2009 right before Pontiac went under. I just think it's a nice car. It's a RWD sedan with a little power, so you can pile groceries in it and cart your kid around but also kind of show off now and then. I was a member of a Facebook group for G8 owners and all was great, got along well with everyone on there. Had to get rid of the G8 in late 2012. Got another one a couple months ago and the next day, I posted a pic of me with the car on the FB group's page. Nothing special about the pic--I'm wearing a thick winter coat in it and not trying to look like some hot girl posing with a car (I posted about this in the B&M topic back in January already, so apologize to anyone who knows the story).

At first I got positive responses like "Welcome back" and "Good for you", etc. Then all these asshats started coming out of the woodwork with responses I never would've expected from civil people (these all must have been people that joined the page during the time I wasn't active in the group because I certainly had never seen them on there before).

Some of the stuff that was said/implied:

"Wow, I can't believe this chick is getting more likes than I did on my last post and her G8 isn't even modded, it's just stock!" (There were quite a few people with this complaint.)

"You're a chick on a car page, you're just looking for attention."

"She's not even hot, why is everyone liking her post?" (Never mind that, ya know, I had a little story with it about how I used to have a G8 but had to get rid of it and was finally able to get one back.)

"You should've mentioned in your post that you're married, you're just leading guys on in here on purpose." (Um, what??)

One guy went so far as to make a post mocking mine to see if he could get as many likes. Several other guys took pics of their wife or girlfriend posing with their G8s saying, "Now can I get likes??"

Ended up leaving the group. It all left a very bad taste in my mouth. Yeah, my G8 is just my "daily driver" and it's not modded at all but I still think it's cool. Shame on me for wanting to be part of a group, I guess. Especially shame on me for being in the picture with the damn car. I'll make sure to never make that mistake again. Wouldn't want to lead anyone on or look like an attention whore or not being "hot enough" for such behavior.

So, yeah, definitely some strange snobbery that goes on with "car people". It's sad. I would even go so far as to say it's even harder when you're a female "car person". Like, can't I just share my enjoyment of my car with other people that have the same car and admire their cars as well in peace?

• Darth Absentis likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

to be fair, I would caution against conflating an Internet comment thread with "the car scene" at large.

a few anonymous dicks on a single Facebook page is one thing.

but people tend to be pretty cool when you actually meet them in-person at car shows and such.

• Noale likes this

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

Animosity exists in every community.

Like El Diablo said, people who are actually social enough to show up for the meets/shows are very friendly.

• Grotti.Collector likes this

Milfrah
  • Milfrah

Bad Mommy

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:03 AM Edited by Milfrah, 06 March 2017 - 01:27 AM.

Yeah, I'm sure they are. It's just sad that it can't be the same way on internet sites/pages. But..Why should I be surprised at that? The page I was on had been friendly when I was one of the original active members. I popped into some forums and saw a lot of the same thing, really. It is how it is I guess.

Edit:

to be fair, I would caution against conflating an Internet comment thread with "the car scene" at large.

but people tend to be pretty cool when you actually meet them in-person at car shows and such.

To be fair, I would also point out that OP stated:

So the car scene is pretty big on the internet and for the most part we all can say we love cars and all that etc. However a lot of "car people" like to talk sh*t on the internet and I'm noticing a lot more.

Does anybody else feel the same? And sort of like the non-car people thread, I want you to post some of dumbest stuff you've heard/read supposed "car people" say.

And thus my point about the "car scene" (or, as I referred to it, "car people") insofar as it applies to people who "talk sh*t on the internet" and the "dumbest stuff I've heard/read", I was just simply trying to post what OP was asking for.

I'll go to an actual car meet this summer and see if any of those sh*t-talking taint goblins want to talk like that to my stock face. I'll let everyone know how it goes. ;)

• K1FFLOM likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:21 AM

Generally speaking the internet and social media car community is garbage. Meeting people in person is of course different and all but I still hear and see some dumb sh*t in person as well.
  • Milfrah likes this

Milfrah
  • Milfrah

Bad Mommy

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

I shouldn't leave out that I was invited to a Facebook page specifically for G8 owners in my state and everyone on there has been very nice and professional. It's been a great resource as well, even found some mechanics that specialize in working on G8s (they own G8s themselves). Every other time I took my last G8 into the dealership for an oil change, they couldn't figure out how to check the transmission fluid (there's no dipstick for it).

I actually had a mechanic ask me once how to check the transmission fluid....WTF (so I guess that's one of the dumbest things I've heard a supposed "car person" say in person).

Since there's not many G8s around, I'm only comfortable taking it to someone who knows the car. Would not have found that without some nice people on the internet.

Just have to be choosy about the car community when it comes to the internet. The FB page I used to be on had become poorly moderated so jerks had kind of taken over.

Cudwieser
  • Cudwieser

In the Shadows

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:04 AM

Annoying car people. Tell them their porsche looks like a Beetle :D

Seriously though I've rarely met a truly annoying 'anything' person. Guy I work with is a volvo guy, but is far from disparaging about other cars unless they are crap (or has had a bad experience with them). The truth is anyone who is truly obcessed with one or another tend to be antisocial people who'd struggle to be bearable in any context and for the most part people generally aren't like that.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:40 PM

"you just don't know the meaning of discreet things, you're a car spotter ffs"

On the topic of phone color choices. This community is so pretentious I tell you.

InstaNoodles
  • InstaNoodles

Goes through you in 3 minutes

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

I'm going to admit it, I am critical of modern cars. But varies on why I'm complaining. Sometimes it's styling, other times it's functionality, and then it's just down to personal experience.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

Those "car guys" on YouTube who praise anything that came out within the past year and a half as the best sh*t and anything older than that as dated. Just read someone call the RS7 and M6 dated compared to the new Panamera Turbo and that there's no competition. Dated? Those cars are still brand new to me, how are they dated? Just as annoying as the "old is best" fools, we always have the "newest is best" morons as well.

• Murciélago likes this

Collibosher
  • Collibosher

Mach1: Collibosher has some serious issues (and he is not kiddin

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

Well.. what really grinds MY gears is "what Ford Mustang is and what engine it should to have" thing.

Mustang was first introduced in 1964 as this American equivalent of european 2+2 sports/GT car, but then kinda started this new car class called "pony cars" Inline 6 was the base engine

Then 1967 it had major facelift. It became larger and got larger engines and really started to become a "muscle" car. Still base engine was inline 6. Mustang grew as muscle car into the 70's

...And then 1974 new generation of Mustang was introduced. It was smaller and the base engine was INLINE 4!
Sure, V8 was an option, but I personally would not call Mustang II " a muscle car" Torino kinda became Ford's muscle car.

On next decades Mustang was this pony/sports car, until 2004 it was again called a muscle car (or retro muscle) probably because of it's looks compared to other cars. 2014 it was redesigned again and it's design was toned down, removing some of it's "muscle" and also inline 4 was introduced again, AGAIN!

the actual rant part:

And then youtube, etc is full of these car experts and gurus who think 2015 Mustang is the first with I4 and how it's wrong and how Mustang shouldn't have one because it's muscle car and how this is disgrace, etc?!?!?!

Mustang wasn't a "muscle car" originally. It was a muscle car only on short period of time of it's history and even then only few performance models could have been called muscle cars, specially 1967-1969, 1970-1973 were pretty much all muscle cars, at least design wise. 
Of course those late 60's/early 70's muscly Mustangs are most famous of them and we all like them, but still they're minority of all the Mustangs. You don't need to like them, but in every ecoboost Mustang video, people are only commenting like every Mustang ever has never had any other engine than 5.0l V8.!?!? 
You can still buy one with V8 so wtf is the problem? Mustang was suppose to be the affordable sports car with lots of options to make it your own. If you had the money and wanted a powerful Mustang, you bought the GT V8 and if the performance wasn't the most important thing and you just wanted to enjoy the Mustang, you bought the 6 cylinder.

Same thing in 2017, also due to it really being 2017, the mileage matters too, specially if you don't live in USA, where gasoline is basically free.

I have two cars with V8, but my 1965 Mustang will have inline 6 as long as I live, because it's not muscle car, it's a PONY CAR.
  • Android and DeadEnot like this

Irish45455
  • Irish45455

Irish45455

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:49 AM

My biggest beef when it comes to the community are those assholes who stick with one car for years (going through a few Miatas, Mustangs, or cars like that) and praise everything about that one model but rag on everything that isn't that make/model. You drive a Camaro while this guy drives a Mustang? "Ha, look at that queer! That Camaro come with a matching purse?" They fanboy over their Miata and every other Miata but won't even hear anything about different cars. How can you call yourself an enthusiast when you stick to strictly Mazda Miatas and won't drive or even look at anything else?

So, confession time. When I was a teenager (thirteen years ago) I was all about GM, mainly Chevrolets. Nobody could tell me anything bad about them and i was adamntly against Fords. Then the Fast and the Furious came out and I was in love with imports and wouldn't hear a bad word about RX-7s and Skylines. For the next few years I became about American muscle but only Camaros, Corvettes, Chevy II/Novas and Chevelles. Even up until three years ago I wouldn't touch a Ford and would always turn my nose up at one. But then this dude changed my whole mindset.

I commented something about Mustang owners being (insert homophobic slur here, and thankfully, I've changed a lot since then) and how Chevrolets are clear superior and this dude replied saying, "Come on, man. Have you ever driven anything besides a Chevy? You gotta open your mind, man. You can't call yourself a car lover/gearhead if you don't drive anything but Chevys." So, about a year ago we got a 2005 Ford Five Hundred and my God... I fell in love.

Black, leather, power everything, and a sunroof. We (I) named her Bessie and right up until a month ago when she got rear ended I loved this car. I didn't want to drive anything else because that car was just... home. Bessie felt like the kind of car I had always wanted to own. Comfortable, decent power, good looks and just an all around dependable car. That car helped change my outlook about things. Don't be a fanboy. Explore other vehicles.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 3 weeks ago

Idk if I can really say this goes with car people, you'll see why, but I don't know where else to post this.

http://www.maseratil...ople-did-4.html

Editing

marco6158
  • marco6158

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Italy
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 2 weeks ago

Didn't want to make it long but, I really wanted to write this, I don't know if you'll get the point of what I wanted to write with this, but I'll try.

I've always thought that being a "real" car guy meant loving cars in general  and respecting other people tastes (surely appreciating some brands in particular and disliking others, but not throwing crap at a brand for no reason).

Right now, everything I see is "shame a brand for no particular reason and copy and repeat what I read on the internet because I'm too lazy to do my own researches so I sh*tpost random crap everywhere I can".

Everyone goes on with old stereotypes or wrong informations that have been written so many times that are considered as facts.

I used to like browsing on some pages/websites like Car Throttle but then it became what every Facebook or YouTube comment section is, full of stupid comments with no respect for those who may have an unpopular opinion.

How many times you've read stuff like "BMW drivers are all assholes", "All French cars sucks and are unreliable", "Alfa is unreliable", "Tesla cars are nothing more than a pile of useless sh*t" or the usual "war" between Manual car drivers and Automatic car drivers, or the usual "all old cars are good, all new cars are sh*t no matter what"

I don't know, maybe I've been reading or browsing the wrong communities, but from what I can see many people are being close minded when it comes to cars, there's no interest to study or understand new technologies, make researches to understand if a particulr brand is really good or bad as "they" say, or actually see the goods and the flaws on some things.

For example, I'm personally a huge fan of Tesla cars, and everytime I read a news related to a Tesla or an electric car in general always the same stuff comes up and I really get mad at the stuff I read: No sound = no fun; that microwave only have 350/400 km range; no point in an electric car when its energy is still produced wil fossil fuels and so on, and so on..

Looks like everyone's commute is around 400km and the country they live in still don't know that renewable resources have been developed, without actually looking into what Tesla is trying to do.

Even better those who throw sh*t at cars makers (erm, French and Italian cars for example) and write that those are unreliable while they are probably living in the U.S. and never driven or seen one. I can (and will) accept your opinion that some  of those cars are bad looking for you, but saying that they're unreliable while you've never seen or driven one, is just stupid.

And then all the stupid arguments manual vs. auto, old cars vs. new cars, buying an used car vs. buying a brand new car...

Looks like those people can't really understand that there are different needs for each person, and what could be good for you can be bad for someone else. I don't know about you, but I've never (from what I remember) said that someone's decision is sh*t simply because it's different than what I think, there may be some questionable things about some topics, but that's it.

I think these people are very annoying, in fact I almost completely stopped reading those blogs or Facebook pages. Even if I rarely post something, probably the best place where I can discuss about cars and get valid opinions from is in this section, I've read many comments and topics, and I just enjoy reading what other users have to say and read stories from people who are older than me and drove much more cars than me without having to read idiotic comments on how X brand sucks and Y brand drivers are just idiots.

What do you think? Are these people annoying for you?

I've never been to a car meet, but I doubt people behave like that when they're not hiding behind a monitor.

• Scaglietti, LightningLord and DOUGL4S1 like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by DOUGL4S1, 2 weeks ago.

-rant-

I think this part of the RCR Review of the Prius sums up what you said pretty well. It just fails to mention one thing: Extremism. There's nothing wrong prefering one thing over another because blablabla and respecting other people's taste. But the moment you're willing to punch someone because they have a different taste or opinion than you, you may have gone a few thousand steps too far. Read again, I said 'respecting', which is basically another fancy word for 'tolerating'. You don't have to like Mike because he prefers electric vehicles over ICE, but don't go acting like a primate over it.

• marco6158 likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted A week ago Edited by Scaglietti, A week ago.

Trying to explain why people like/prefer manuals. I'm not even a manual fanboy. Most of the cars I'd like to have are auto only or I'd pick the auto option over the manual option. But I can see why someone would prefer manual.

But it seems like none of that matters because they still make money if there is no manual option and that manual is too much of a niche. Half of the people in the manual/automatic argument haven't even driven manual before. I haven't but I definitely plan to and my parents have owned numerous stick cars in the past. I just don't see what's so hard to understand. Some people still like manuals and that's quite a big chunk of the "car enthusiast" community. I just don't see how "well it'll still sell even if they don't make manual option and people canceling their plans/orders because of that are stupid" makes any sense. This excuse is why so many products either suck or lack soul. Not just with cars but a lot of things. The logic "it doesn't matter X, we'll still make money" it's all about money and it's genuinely disappointing...

And I mean it's like arguing why a "slower" more expensive car is preferred over a "faster" cheaper car with somebody who either doesn't drive or just goes off of spec sheets and not the driving experience or overall point of the car.

Another thing that annoys me are car photographers who don't seem to know sh*t about the cars they take pictures of and just do it for Instagram likes. Less so the knowledge part but more so when they rip on a car they don't know about. Two examples:

Somebody posted a Huracan LP580. "I still don't see the point of this car." Lamborghini stated the point. Not only is it the more entry level Huracan but it's also the more "purist" one with RWD and supposedly more steering feel.

Worse, somebody saying "Lexus LC500 is nice but not for 100k" and when I brought up how it was actually a bargain he gonna say "how, it's a lexus and what is it faster then?" Basically shut him down with a paragraph explaining the point of the car, it's price, competition and again why it's a bargain and he couldn't think of a proper response afterwards. So many boneheaded so-called "enthusiasts" and NO you don't have to know everything. Of course not. But it's really when you start spouting negative sh*t about something you clearly don't know about. And then pull the "opinion" card. Sorry but there is a such thing as a stupid opinion, blunt for uneducated opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users