44 replies to this topic
Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:15 PM

So the car scene is pretty big on the internet and for the most part we all can say we love cars and all that etc. However a lot of "car people" like to talk sh*t on the internet and I'm noticing a lot more. People are always rambling about numbers and basing how good a car is against another based on track times. "Oh that car costs twice as much as X and it's slower so it's sh*t" "No manual, no buy" "Manuals are dated, won't make you win on a track" etc. And everybody's opinion is fact, you can't tell them sh*t. Even if they're tweens who haven't even sat behind a steering wheel before. I've had people tell me this car sucks because [insert some sh*t cut n pasted from a crappy car magazine website article]. It's annoying as sh*t.

I'm going to be learning how to drive and I've always loved cars. And it's always been as simple as that. I just love cars. I love the variety, going on trips, the details, the engineering. The experience. I couldn't give any less of a sh*t about track times. I don't know, it takes a lot for me to hate a car, especially if I haven't driven it before let alone seen it in the flesh.

Does anybody else feel the same? And sort of like the non-car people thread, I want you to post some of dumbest stuff you've heard/read supposed "car people" say.

• Android, Ocelot, LaBombaRomba and 2 others like this

Android
  • Android

i have the zip vile bro

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:39 PM

"You're entitled to your own opinions, not to your own facts". That's a quote I live by these days, and some of the people in the car community need to start doing the same. Whatever you do, avoid the comments section on Facebook posts from Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Motor Trend. They're filled with assholes who think their opinion is the only one that matters. Every time you see a post about the new Raptor or GT, they're all like "BUT MUH V8!11! IT SOUNDS LIKE MY V6 CAMRY" and it's like everybody thinks it's a horrible car because it has 2 less cylinders.

Also, car "journalism" has gone to sh*t..

a0a6fb753228b2dd53e4357c6bcaa2da.png

Seriously?

• (Ambient), Scaglietti and Milfrah like this

PeasantGaming > U
  • PeasantGaming > U

We all gotta start somewhere.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:23 PM

Really it's all about fanboyism.  Why else would some vtec clown kid say his 200hp k20 is better than a Coyote 5.0.  We all know it isn't, but he's too blind to see the facts. 

Blind fanboys as far as the eye can see.......welcome to the "car guy" section of the internet. 

• SouthLand likes this

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:25 PM

a0a6fb753228b2dd53e4357c6bcaa2da.png

Seriously?

Baruth just likes the attention he gets from ruffling people's feathers.

Ocelot
  • Ocelot

Ocelot Lynx - Born To Perform.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:20 AM

Live and let live. It boggles my mind to see how superficial and ignorant some people in this scene are.
  • Dottie and Scaglietti like this

JRC99
  • JRC99

Jackanape

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:59 AM

I'm very opinionated. Hell, growing up I'd argue with anyone over cars. Now, I just kinda keep my trap shut (my opinions are not popular) and move on. I suffer from fanboyism quite badly, I just keep it to myself. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

I mean I am a fanboy of German cars. I for one love everything Mercedes has been doing lately save for the new E-Class. I see people here talk about how all Mercs look the same and they can't tell them apart and they're ugly and I just want to say "Y'all need to get your f*ckin' eyes checked I thought I had eye problems" but I don't. :lol: I like them and that's all that matters. Now when somebody claims I like the badge, which some idiot did in this section back in 2013 when I fell in love with the very controversial R231 SL, that's when I get nasty.

• geraldflesy likes this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

This forums is one of the only ones i have see where there isn't much Fan Boy hooliganism. In another huge car forum of Spain everyday there is fanboy wars between PSA vs VAG, Petrol vs Diesel, Automatic vs Manual, Electric vs Anti-Electric and finally, Turbo vs N/A. They even argue about oil brands. Ridiculous.

Also, i hate the "Since i own this car from this brand, mine is better than yours because i own it." attitude.

Anyways, I have a lot of unpopular car opinions. I don't want you to agree with them, but I'll be happy if you atleast understand my point even if you don't agree with it.

PeasantGaming > U
  • PeasantGaming > U

We all gotta start somewhere.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:44 PM Edited by PeasantGaming > U, 21 September 2016 - 11:35 PM.

I'm very opinionated. Hell, growing up I'd argue with anyone over cars. Now, I just kinda keep my trap shut (my opinions are not popular) and move on. I suffer from fanboyism quite badly, I just keep it to myself. 

Car's like your's deserve the strong following they have. They're classics.  :inlove:

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

I notice that when someone on the internet mentions they have a certain special car, not to brag but to share an experience or elaborate, people get jealous. And then they pull the "daddy bought it for you" card. Even if their parents bought it for them, though most of the cases when that's said it's not true, who gives a sh*t? Working for nice stuff in life is great but it isn't that really big of a deal unless the kid is really some pompous spoiled brat.

ikt
  • ikt

HAAAAAAAAANDS

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

"Because my engine is bigger [than yours/normal] it uses less fuel if I go faster." - said somebody with an Audi S4 wagon.

ok
  • Scaglietti likes this

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:53 AM

Even on the truck forum I'm on, people who bought the Pentastar V6 or even the 4.7 V8 will ask for recommendations to improve performance. And it never fails, somebody will come along and say "You should've bought a hemi".

Not a helpful answer in the slightest.
  • Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

Critics are never happy. Car people seem to bitch when cars look to similar to each other or try to copy each other but when something original comes out they claim that it's trying too hard. Being a car designer must be a bitch.

Irish45455
  • Irish45455

Irish45455

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

One thing I utterly f*cking despise is muscle and tuner fanboys. "Hondas are gay, my 442 would blow it off the road! Muscle cars are for pussies, they can't turn for sh*t!" and claim to be car guys but bag on everything but what they like. How can you be a car guy but hate hot rods and only be about Porsches? If you don't like what people do to their cars at least respect the amount of time and effort put into it. Custom cars especially like Lowriders, rat rods and custom trucks like C10s and F100s.

Also, brand fanboys who think one brand is best and won't hear a single word about any other car company. They think their brand is best, and won't even drive anything else or give anything else a chance. It's hugely popular among Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge people. My in laws claim Ford is king and that nothing will ever beat them, even though the F350 dump truck has needed two transmissions, a new engine, rear axle and suspension, and the F-100 mud bogger's 460 completely sh*t the bed. Here's the thing: if a vehicle is maintained it can run forever. Being a one brand fanboy is just being narrow minded.

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:07 PM Edited by HeavyDuke, 10 December 2016 - 08:47 AM.

Hondas are gay

f827b8a82bcec3eddc2f5368173232e1.jpg

f151c331a4df49bbc713be557b6cd6aa.jpg

bd23afa43ac4c2a805666fd5ca0c65b471041e4e

Some do have a good sence of humor though.

2016.4.12-Ford-Mustang-Memes-2.jpg

ebtpyuowtzynijvav6fc.jpg

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:09 AM

Those C&C crash highlights are some of the most satisfyingly hilarious things to watch. One of my favorites is this the moron in a GTO who initiated a powerslide, then abruptly lifted the throttle and didn't anticipate the sudden reappearance of traction :lol: , and so he over corrected into a tree. The best part was his wrecked car was towed back into the C&C lot, where he tried to hide his embarrassment by fake smiling for a photo.

Back to front wheel drive you go, boy.

• HeavyDuke likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

When people say every X looks the same. Maybe it's because I'm pretty good at car spotting, maybe not, but for the most part I can tell every model of a car apart from another. A lot of car people like to rant about how every Mercedes looks the same or Audi or BMW. Is it really worth the effort? And does anybody really care? If they dared to do anything different y'all would be the same people to give them hell about how awful it looks. At least they all tried to make something different like the four-door-coupes (CLS, Gran Coupe, A7). I just don't understand all of the whining. If I look at Mercedes from the 80's and 90's they were just as similar to each other, maybe even more so, on the exterior as they are now. I'm just like, who really cares? I don't know, it takes a lot for me to truly criticize a car's design.

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

The Butcher of Blaviken

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:15 PM Edited by Diamond Dogs, 10 February 2017 - 06:28 PM.

I really do not understand the way that people call a certain manufacturer's cars look all the same. For example, fundamentally most of Mercedes' cars have very similar design principles, but that does not mean they look the same. Each of these cars have their own unique characteristics, and each of them have a distinct feel in terms of design as well. The S65 AMG Coupe is a gorgeous car, so does the AMG C63 S Coupe, but there are clearly certain aspects of these cars that feel distinct and very different from one another. They don't look the same, they just share aspects of design from one another.

Also I do not understand completely the argument that Car X is faster than Car Y, and that instantly means it's better. My love for cars started because of Motorsport, and it is my dream to be once racing against one another in a organized racing series in any shape or form. I'm more of a function over form guy, and performance do matter on how good a car is, but that is just a approximate on what scale does it stands up to it's rivals, but it does not mean its instantly better if its faster. Also there are many different aspects other than performance. The overall package is what matters, but in the end of the day, it is up to you to choose whether it is better or not, it all comes to personal tastes in the end. 

One last thing, don't judge a car for what it looks or performs, it's not a piece of scrap metal, it also breathes, it also needs to be cared about, it needs to be fed, a car is just as alive as we are. People who made these cars sacrificed spending time with their families just to give us the best product they can as possibly can. The experience of being in a car is just as special as spending time with family. Who cares if you own something like a Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler, it still has its own little quirks and character. It may not be a great car, and it kinda deserves some of the criticism it has gotten, but it is something very special, like all cars are.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

I really do not understand the way that people call a certain manufacturer's cars look all the same. For example, fundamentally most of Mercedes' cars have very similar design principles, but that does not mean they look the same.

8Ii0X2Q.jpg

Senior Mercedes-Benz executives admit the exterior styling of the new E-Class moves it closer to its smaller C-Class and larger S-Class sedan siblings

Mercedes-Benz research and development boss Dr Thomas Weber was in no doubt the three saloons share “a clear design language”, but were differentiated by price and size.

http://www.motoring....-design-100931/

LaBombaRomba
  • LaBombaRomba

Straya. "Fear denies faith", ⌐■_■

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:29 PM Edited by LaBombaRomba, 10 February 2017 - 11:30 PM.

I hate those people that blatantly hate on Hondas... They're f*ckin' good cars. Also hate those people that instantly hate a car that isn't to their taste (eg, a stanced car or drift missile), and sh*ts all over the owner just because their opinions collide with one another.

Also really hate Gaskings. He literally promotes the 'annoying'/rude side of car guys.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:32 AM

I really do not understand the way that people call a certain manufacturer's cars look all the same. For example, fundamentally most of Mercedes' cars have very similar design principles, but that does not mean they look the same.

8Ii0X2Q.jpg

Senior Mercedes-Benz executives admit the exterior styling of the new E-Class moves it closer to its smaller C-Class and larger S-Class sedan siblings...Mercedes-Benz research and development boss Dr Thomas Weber was in no doubt the three saloons share “a clear design language”, but were differentiated by price and size.

http://www.motoring....-design-100931/

And it's been like that for decades. Compare the last generation of Mercs. The the one before that. Then the one before that. Then the one before that. Now do the same with Audi and BMW especially. People mentioning/complaining about it are just beating a dead horse. It's nothing new.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:58 AM

Compare the last generation of Mercs. The the one before that. Then the one before that.

KucmOkH.png

ZxOTnlC.png
  • Garfield 2, [email protected], Murciélago and 1 other like this

Murciélago
  • Murciélago

lol

• Facade Corporation
  • None

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

I'd say that I'm pretty good at differentiating between different models but I have to admit that I have trouble identifying the new Mercs sometimes. You could easily tell which ones were which with the older gens.
  • epoxi and R3CON like this

K1FFLOM
  • K1FFLOM

Thug

• Members
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

Taking my father to the airport last week, I saw a partly disguised 5-series Touring. It looked "new" in design, and seeing the Munich registration it occurred to me that the car was a prototype ( "Erlkönig" in German ).

I have seen such pre-production cars many times, and normally I tend to follow them and take pictures, to sell them to car magazines.
But on this occasion I was simply overcome by boredom and did not bother.

Probably the same reason why the BMW engineers did not cover the complete car with the obligatory camouflage:

It was only due to the said camouflage, that I noticed it was the new 5-series Touring on a test drive. Without it, I would never have noticed it passing me.

So much for dull design and same-ness.
Years ago, model changes were interesting. These days it has changed. There is nothing really revolutionary to wait for as really "everything is possible".

I remember, it was Autumn 1987, when I read an article of BMWs proposed V16-engine for the 7-Series.
Those were the things I was waiting for, at the time. I would never have thought that new cars would become boring.
Then, new car premieres were a big thing. Model replacements were not so quick as they are today, and that is the main reason for such desinterest in new designs, model-changes.
  • epoxi likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Compare the last generation of Mercs. The the one before that. Then the one before that.

KucmOkH.pngZxOTnlC.png
Proves my point. Especially the generation before the W221.

But tbh, you just need a trained eye. Because I can differentiate even the newest models of Audis, BMWs and Mercs. It's not that hard.

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

The Butcher of Blaviken

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

I agree, they look more similar than ever, but I can distinguish each model apart from the size obviously, with the cars' more minor details with the bumpers' shape, or the pillars. It's just having a closer look IMO.

• Scaglietti likes this

Touge Spirit Leader
  • Touge Spirit Leader

garage seventy-six

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:28 PM Edited by Touge Spirit Leader, 15 February 2017 - 03:29 PM.

Frankly I find modern German cars, Porsche aside to be very boring. I understand where people like them but they are so boring. They do all look rather similar, even down to the fact that all german cars I see on the road tend to be one of three or four bland colors. Mind you this is coming from a huge car guy and I even find the names of German cars to be uninspiring. It's just letters and numbers, really doesn't make it any easier to identify different models. American cars are just more fun, less refined, more power, exciting names like Challenger, Mustang and Barracuda. German cars have fallen a long way and IMHO are now the domain of boring executives and rich elderly folks.

Bring back cars in the spirit of the 3.0 CSL, The Audi Quattro S1, The M1 or the "Flying Pig" 300 SEL. Then maybe I'll consider looking twice at a German car.

Give me fuel give me fire give me that which I desire...

• HeavyDuke likes this

JuniorChubb
  • JuniorChubb

Aqualish Spy

• Mountain Bike Society
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Certified Crew 2016 [Van Society]
    GTAF Time Trials Most Improved Driver 2016
    Best Event 2015 [Van Society Meetups]

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Annoying car people assume that everyone would have the same knowledge of cars as themselves or you are inferior or are not a 'real car fan'...

You can love cars without knowing the differences between that latest range of look-a-like Mercedes, you can love cars without knowing the inner workings of your engine, you can love cars and still have Dollar Rims on your car in GTA, you can love cars even if you confuse a rally stage with a lap on a dirt track.

Snobbery encroaches on many parts of our lives, for some reason I find it more grotesque when it comes to 'car-people' looking down their noses at those they deem not worthy.
  • Android, Touge Spirit Leader and HeavyDuke like this

Garfield 2
  • Garfield 2

BMW Maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

I had no trouble differentiating

W202 / W210 / W140

W203 / W211 / W220

W204 / W212 / W221

But the new Mercs, all of them, especially in black are so f-ing hard to differentiate. I was passed by an E-Class and I thought it was an S-Class. Saw an S-Class coming from far, thought it was a C-Class.

You'd have to be a real Mercedes head to differentiate them. I'm simply unable to do so. Hopefully a facelift changes that.

• epoxi likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

You're sensitive as f*ck if you think I'm being a snob about identifying modern Mercs. Grow some thicker skin. :)
  • HeavyDuke likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users