Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:58 AM

m1xXItv.jpg

Eric Reed (left) and Colin Kaepernick (right) kneel during the national anthem ceremony at a game.

You've probably heard of it some how, whether it be through some form of news media or the internet, but there's been a bit of a ruckus in the NFL regarding a player by the name of Colin Kaepernick. In late August, instead of standing during the national anthem at a preseason game, he stayed seated throughout it's entirety, and he explained why through a post-game interview. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way.", Kaepernick said. "There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder". He is referencing to many of the police shootings that have occurred through the past couple of years, as well as the racial tension that has thrown the U.S into an internal uproar - and it's mainly what he is in protest of.

Many other celebrities and sports figures have joined Kaepernick in support, such as Spike Lee, Steve Harvey, Kevin Durant, and so on.. but that hasn't stopped ordinary people from voicing their opinion. Outraged people have taken to social media to express their minds on the matter. 

Personally, I believe he has the right to not participate in the national anthem ceremony. In this case, he has given a reason for not doing so, and it's up to him to make these decisions, as it should be for everyone else. Nobody should be forced into participating in either the national anthem ceremony or even the pledge of allegiance, which some schools and institutions still continue to recite daily. Your choice should not automatically label you as unpatriotic or disrespectful. To put things into perspective, when people watch these sports games at home or possibly at a friend's / relative's house, do they also stand for the national anthem?

What does D&D have to say about this?

• xxxtentacion likes this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

we live as we dream--alone

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:27 AM

i like his socks

0901-colin-kaepernick-socks-getty-zoom-3

• El Diablo, mr quick, Melchior and 4 others like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:35 AM Edited by El Diablo, 16 September 2016 - 03:43 AM.

yeah, it's fine with me.

good for him. f/ck the police.

this stupid country always wants it both ways. but you can't have it both ways.

if you want professional athletes to be "role models" then let them be role models. if you want them to be jocks who keep their mouths closed, then stop telling them that they're role models. kids are apparently supposed to look up to them... while they beat their girlfriends, cheat on their wives, blow their money on cocaine and sports cars, get into brawls at strip clubs, and get caught drunk driving with just a slap on the wrist (or after committing involuntary manslaughter and getting off with community service).

suddenly a guy makes a political statement and he's threatened with injury, death, loss of endorsements, loss of salary, and all manner of terrible/racist/disparaging comments. people are burning his jersey (which they have to BUY his jersey in order to do) and now it's the top selling jersey in the entire NFL which is money that goes right into the 49ers and Kapp's pocket. this is the United States. we're allowed to protest. he's not disrespecting the military by protesting. people join the military and die so that you can protest.

and all these f/ckin' red necks have the nerve to say "HEY KAPP IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS COUNTRY, MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEAVE"
this is the opposite of everything that America stands for. if you love this country then you want to stay and make it a better place. the last thing you want to do is leave it to the wolves. it would be one thing if Kapp was protesting with a message that didn't resonate or didn't make any sense. but his protest happens to be a correct analysis of current events. why should black men in America feel proud of America? America doesn't care about them. Kanye West was right lol.

Spoiler

there's a terrorist attack that kills 2,000 people and this country launches into action spending trillions, sparring no expense to supposedly protect the citizens of this great nation. but we don't seem to want to lift a finger or spend a dime in order to address the countless and constant deaths by murder and violence within our own borders. the War on Drugs is the War on Poor Minorities. the prisons are PACKED with blacks and Latinos even though whites commit the same crimes at at least the same rates if not often more. callous and blatant racism may have all but dried up, but institutional and systemic racism is alive and well.

• Piggsy pls, Android, jatiger13 and 1 other like this

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:55 AM

He had every right to do what he did.  It's called Free Speech. 

The problem is not the message that most people are in disagreement with, it's how he chose to express it.  I'd much rather prefer the way the Seattle Seahawks or a few other players did it, by interlocking arms or raising their fists.  We're in this together, so you don't disrespect your own "team"; that's not how you gather support. 

This is much more powerful, in my opinion.  Standing.  United.

MTQxNDU0MDMwMDk3MzYwNDYz.jpgOLYMPICS-BLACK-POWER-SALU-008.jpg

And what's Kapernick's endgame anyway?  How long does he plan to continue this?  Has he provided any solutions?  What he should be doing is what most major sports players do, they open up foundations devoted to helping keep inner-city kids off the streets, building community centers and recreational parks, providing activities to help steer them away from drugs and crime, and promoting healthy lifestyles.  Actions speak louder than words.  That's a role model.

• Lc gta, iBUCKEYE and Skeever like this

iBUCKEYE
  • iBUCKEYE

Die Hard is a Christmas movie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:38 AM Edited by iBUCKEYE, 16 September 2016 - 05:14 AM.

He had every right to do what he did.  It's called Free Speech. 

The problem is not the message that most people are in disagreement with, it's how he chose to express it.  I'd much rather prefer the way the Seattle Seahawks or a few other players did it, by interlocking arms or raising their fists.  We're in this together, so you don't disrespect your own "team"; that's not how you gather support. 

This is much more powerful, in my opinion.  Standing.  United.

MTQxNDU0MDMwMDk3MzYwNDYz.jpgOLYMPICS-BLACK-POWER-SALU-008.jpg

And what's Kapernick's endgame anyway?  How long does he plan to continue this?  Has he provided any solutions?  What he should be doing is what most major sports players do, they open up foundations devoted to helping keep inner-city kids off the streets, building community centers and recreational parks, providing activities to help steer them away from drugs and crime, and promoting healthy lifestyles.  Actions speak louder than words.  That's a role model.

You‘re absolutely right.  The Seahawks discussed it together and did it together the smart way... as a team. 

Kap has every right to kneel during the anthem. However, people also have every right to accuse him of being an idiot and attention whore, which he is. The socks alone confirm that.

Its most likely just his way of trying to piss off the 49ers to the point of getting rid of him, which is what hes wanted.

• Skeever likes this

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:59 AM

this is the opposite of everything that America stands for. 

This is the opposite of tolerance of insane religious sects and unrestricted firearm ownership? Because those are the only things which make the US exceptional. 

he's not disrespecting the military by protesting. people join the military and die so that you can protest.

Literally have no idea how the military protects civil liberties? 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:34 AM Edited by Fuzzknuckles, 16 September 2016 - 10:35 AM.

f*ck anyone that has a problem with this guy taking the knee. 

"We didn't fight in [x] war so that this guy could take the knee during the national anthem!"

1. Chances are, if you say sh*t like that, you didn't fight in any f*cking war in the first place. 

2. Actually, that's exactly what you did fight for. Liberty. 

Why, in "The Land of the Free", are people not free to do a damn thing?

an idiot and attention whore, which he is. 

Since when did taking a stand for your beliefs become attention whoring?  

• Piggsy pls likes this

Mion
  • Mion

KD*

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:21 AM Edited by Mion, 16 September 2016 - 11:21 AM.

Hit the nail on its head.

I agree with what Durant said mostly.
"Im behind anyone who stands up for what they believe in, Durant said. Colin Kaepernick is standing up for what he believes in. Thats what makes our country so great, right? You have the luxury to do so. He was unapologetic about it and, in his defense, I dont think he was trying to disrespect anyone. I think he was trying to get his point across. Im all for anyone who wants to do that. As athletes, we have this huge platform. A lot of people are watching at all times. Sometimes it may not be what you do, they like. But if you feel like its gonna be impactful, thats on you. I feel like everyone should stand up for what they believe."
  • Piggsy pls likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

I love it how people that are against Kaepernick are rednecks who always go on and on about how terrible political correctness is. It's the pinnacle of hypocrisy and idiocy.

• mr quick, Melchior, Piggsy pls and 1 other like this

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

I love it how people that are against Kaepernick are rednecks who always go on and on about how terrible political correctness is. It's the pinnacle of hypocrisy and idiocy.

I'm a conservative and I hate the government telling me what to do so I flip my sh*t when someone refuses to sing the state's theme song. 

• SagaciousKJB, mr quick, make total destroy and 1 other like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
  • Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Best Poster [Gen Chat] 2014
    Second Best Alien

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

It's fine to hate what he's doing, that's everyone's right.

It's also his right to do what he's doing, so that's fine too.

Like someone said that Voltaire stated (it's thought this isn't actually a Voltaire quote) I may not agree with what you are saying, but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

• Eutyphro, Raavi, iBUCKEYE and 2 others like this

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

If I don't agree with what someone says I will fight to the death to stop them from saying it that seems much more rational.

• mr quick and AlienTwo like this

Mion
  • Mion

KD*

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

I remember last year I was harassed for not standing for the pledge last year, this American obsession with the flag, national anthem, etc is so strange and cult-ish I wonder why people haven't realized it yet.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

I remember last year I was harassed for not standing for the pledge last year, this American obsession with the flag, national anthem, etc is so strange and cult-ish I wonder why people haven't realized it yet.

It's recognised.  It's called "Jingoism." 

• Melchior likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

You can say what you want about his method and pick of forum for his protest, but he did manage to attract international media attention. The only problem is that the actual real issue he was protesting seems to have been more of a sidenote in said media coverage, so the actual impact of the protest is debatable.  That said I do agree with Alientwo, he has every right to protest in whatever way he sees fit, as do the people who take umbrage with this have every right to bemoan his protesting and burn their $100+ jerseys.

• Lc gta, iBUCKEYE and AlienTwo like this

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:22 PM Edited by SagaciousKJB, 16 September 2016 - 04:57 PM.

Right? I like how we talk about how indoctrinated and oppressed N. Korea is with their inability to criticize dear leader, but how much different is it really from where we're at now? There's no government official ready to go shoot Colin in the head for this, but do you think they'd investigate real hard if someone else did...  Doubt it. The major difference seems to be we indoctrinate the mob and let the mob dole out the "justice".

Also I hate this idealistic bullsh*t about how the military are fighting for our freedom. You know I'll show respect for the ones that take an oath of duty to do that, but let's be real... Half the people in the army joined because they had f*ck all to do after high school and needed an education, wanted to travel, had a military family, etc. The very few that do actually want to serve their country often end up being lifers and doing what to protect our freedom? Anyone want to tell me when the last war we fought that directly threatened America's liberties? Let's just agree to leave WWII out of it, because there's no real evidence Germany could have survived war with Russia to pose a threat to us if we hadn't joined in when we did. So even as far back as WWII the majority of our military conflicts haven't been in our own defense, and then how far back should we look from there? How about the civil war, because the same people telling Cam to go find a new country are probably the ones still flying a confederate flags above their head while saying it's to "celebrate" their heritage.

There's a whole cultish mob mentality around showing support for troops too. If Cam had said something about the military in all of this he probably would have been castrated by now. Now what's so interesting about a state conditioning its people to show unwavering support for its military arm? I mean, if we elect Donald Trump, we're going to be a nationa of political corruption, mentally conditioned masses and a completely insane idiot as our leader...  We're becoming more like N. Korea by the minute.

Anyway, I don' think it's controversial at all that he's protesting and I think it just helps to point out all of what I've said above. The only thing I wonder is why they think kneeling is really something interpreted as a protest. Seemed kind of weird to me, first time I saw a the 4 players from the Dolphins kneeling on Sunday, I thought they were kneeling out of respect.

• Melchior likes this

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

If you ♥ the $, then prepare to die for it.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:10 PM Edited by Triple Vacuum Seal, 16 September 2016 - 05:13 PM.

Basically a bunch of rednecks are mad at African Americans for acknowledging their own history in public.  f*ck the general public's demand that we confront racial injustice in a way that allows patriotic white folks to be comfortable.  In fact, African Americans used to honor (and still recognize) a separate national anthem.

When we conflate subservience w/ patriotism, nominate a candidate who fans the flames of fascism, allow certain "conservative" legislatures to whitewash history (and even science) in our school textbooks, and witness the rise of nationalism around the world, it's more important than ever to have a counter-narrative that actually takes facts into account.  Blacks are just tired of their fellow Americans telling them how great this country is when much of US history involves massive crimes against humanity and state-sponsored terrorism directed at blacks.  Patriotism keeps a nation strong.  But blind patriotism has no long-run benefit to the public.  Ask the folks who lived in the 3rd Reich.
  • AlienTwo and Michael like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

This is the opposite of tolerance of insane religious sects and unrestricted firearm ownership? Because those are the only things which make the US exceptional.

that's a pretty crass analysis that I won't even attempt to address :sigh:

go take the piss somewhere else, thanks.

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:18 PM

We never had any 'rights' until Baghdad was leveled in '03.

Has he provided any solutions? 

Stop killing black people?

What he should be doing is what most major sports players do, they open up foundations devoted to helping keep inner-city kids off the streets, building community centers and recreational parks, providing activities to help steer them away from drugs and crime, and promoting healthy lifestyles.  Actions speak louder than words.  That's a role model.

Or the police and neighborhood watch vigilantes could stop killing black people.

• mr quick, Melchior and Michael like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

But... it's that like... their job?
  • mr quick likes this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:37 PM

Well, yeah, and that's why "stop killing us" is a radical demand.

• mr quick, Melchior, AlienTwo and 2 others like this

X S
  • X S

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Miss Los Santos Host Extraordinaire

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:38 PM Edited by X S, 16 September 2016 - 05:38 PM.

Basically a bunch of rednecks are mad at African Americans for acknowledging their own history in public.  f*ck the general public's demand that we confront racial injustice in a way that allows patriotic white folks to be comfortable.

TripVac, the problem is that Kap's method of expression doesn't engender sympathy for his cause.  In fact, I would argue it only makes it worse, because then those angry "rednecks" can point the finger and say, "See?  He hates his country.  Screw him and his cause," and thus only reinforcing preconceived notions and stereotypes.  I would argue that it only creates more resentment and division.

It's the folks who stick together and take the high moral ground that gather the greatest support, and given that the majority of NFL players stood in unison last Sunday, many were demonstrably in disagreement with how Kapernick chose to demonstrate.

• iBUCKEYE likes this

jatiger13
  • jatiger13

Factually correct

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:51 PM Edited by jatiger13, 16 September 2016 - 05:54 PM.

The people who have a problem with this usually say it's because his actions are disrespectful to the military. Even though he made it very clear that he wasn't doing that. It's those people who put that meaning into his actions, they inject their own feelings. But that doesn't make it true. Because feelings do not equal fact.

A reason why people bitch about his protest could be because they're not comfortable talking about the actual problem. So they try to come up with excuses for why his protest is bad.
It's easier to complain about his action than it is to deal/talk about the actual issues.
  • AlienTwo likes this

Mion
  • Mion

KD*

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

It's recognised.  It's called "Jingoism." 
I doubt many Americans even know what that means, when they harass someone for not standing up to a song or knotting/hanging a piece of fabric wrong.

iBUCKEYE
  • iBUCKEYE

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

"We didn't fight in [x] war so that this guy could take the knee during the national anthem!"

1. Chances are, if you say sh*t like that, you didn't fight in any f*cking war in the first place. 

When it becomes more about said person than the actual issues themselves.

Look at the dfference between how Kap and teams like the Seahawks and Titans went about it. The latter two actually conferred with eachother on how to protest the anthem as a unit, and in a way that doesnt come off as some individual‘s spontaneous little stunt or tantrum.

As its been said before, people have every right to protest how they see fit short of violence, but that doesnt make the way they protest any less stupid, nor does it prevent others from pointing out said stupidity.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

Look at the dfference between how Kap and teams like the Seahawks and Titans went about it. The latter two actually conferred with eachother on how to protest the anthem as a unit, and in a way that doesnt come off as some individual‘s spontaneous little stunt or tantrum.

As its been said before, people have every right to protest how they see fit short of violence, but that doesnt make the way they protest any less stupid, nor does it prevent others from pointing out said stupidity.

Failing to see how his choice to protest this at this point in time would be stupid. It's in the media more than ever, you'd think if a person was concerned about it, it would be stupid NOT to protest now while it's in the public's mind.  Strike while the iron is hot.

In actuality though, he has been doing this since last season from what I read. It wasn't until some member of the press took those pictures of his socks during pre-season practice, and THEN when he refused to stand this season, that people finally paid attention.  So I guess if you want to say he's an attention whore you can, but he seems like he's either really bad at it or just played the long game. The contention that he was throwing some kind of tantrum is a false assumption.

So yeah, again, how is it stupid for this person to have convictions and the integrity to act on them? Oh, right, because you didn't like it. I mean, personally I think it's stupid because kneelng is hardly a clear sign of protest, but that's a legitimate criticism of something that has actually happened. You're talking about it "seeming" like some tantrum when it's something he's been doing for a while, it's simply the media that's blown it out of proportion.

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

The Infidel

• Members
  • Falkland-Islands

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:41 PM

a country that oppresses black people and people of color.

The real problem with him is living in 1946 or so, not in 2016. USA as a country and as a state is very tolerant to all races. It's individual citizen, cops, presidential candidates etc. that f**ked up in the head.

jatiger13
  • jatiger13

Factually correct

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:43 PM Edited by jatiger13, 16 September 2016 - 08:52 PM.

So now people have to approve of the way others choose to protest? Really, those people need to get the f*ck off their high horse. "His protest is stupid because I don't like the way he did it." How utterly f*cking childish is that?

Way to completely miss the point of him sitting down in the first place. "Let's focus on the disrespect towards the military, even though it is totally imaginary."

The flag is a symbol. Symbols mean different things and invoke different feelings to different individuals.
Feelings are not facts. People being treated with injustice based on race IS a fact.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Melchior and Fonz like this

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

• Zaibatsu
  • Mars
    Golden Trump Award 2016
    Funniest Member 2015
    Helpfulness Award
    Second Best Alien

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

a country that oppresses black people and people of color.

The real problem with him is living in 1946 or so, not in 2016. USA as a country and as a state is very tolerant to all races. It's individual citizen, cops, presidential candidates etc. that f**ked up in the head.

Only a straight white christian male could possibly even think such a thought...

• mr quick, blaze, Android and 2 others like this

iBUCKEYE
  • iBUCKEYE

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:37 PM Edited by iBUCKEYE, 16 September 2016 - 10:42 PM.

Failing to see how his choice to protest this at this point in time would be stupid. It's in the media more than ever, you'd think if a person was concerned about it, it would be stupid NOT to protest now while it's in the public's mind.  Strike while the iron is hot.

In actuality though, he has been doing this since last season from what I read. It wasn't until some member of the press took those pictures of his socks during pre-season practice, and THEN when he refused to stand this season, that people finally paid attention.  So I guess if you want to say he's an attention whore you can, but he seems like he's either really bad at it or just played the long game. The contention that he was throwing some kind of tantrum is a false assumption.

So yeah, again, how is it stupid for this person to have convictions and the integrity to act on them? Oh, right, because you didn't like it. I mean, personally I think it's stupid because kneelng is hardly a clear sign of protest, but that's a legitimate criticism of something that has actually happened. You're talking about it "seeming" like some tantrum when it's something he's been doing for a while, it's simply the media that's blown it out of proportion.

If hes been doing it since last season then I‘ll take back my tantrum comments. However, My point is that his form of protests have gotten to the point where its more about Colin Kapernick and the anthem, and not on the actual issues. The pig socks just come off as flaming and childish, and(whether its true or not) just paint him as attention seeker. Plus, this all blowing up not long after his requests for a trade and/or release were denied by the 49ers doesnt help him.

Other teams figured out together how to protest in a way that doesnt make the issue all about the anthem or the individual. Which to me, is the smarter way to go about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users