R* titles that could be movies/TV shows

20 replies to this topic
Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Meaningless Award

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:57 AM Edited by Zello, 30 August 2016 - 04:59 AM.

It's probably never gonna happen and it's been beaten to death but R* has put out some good games with good stories just begging to be adapted into a TV show or a movie. Is it necessary? No but here's what I could see working

Max Payne - Yeah there was that Max Payne movie a couple years ago I never watched it and I heard it was pretty bad but Hollywood loves remakes. Should they try to make a Max Payne movie again? Maybe we get a movie trilogy covering the three games and Max's journey or maybe as a Netflix show?

Red Dead- I can see it working as a TV show like Deadwood or they make a movie out of John Marston's and Red's stories.

GTA- The only way I see GTA working is as a TV show. They have more time to develop the characters and story arcs over the course of a season. They can even switch between the time periods like what Fargo and Underbelly have done and share characters.One season could be set in the present day and the next could be set in the past.

Manhunt- Could work as a very gritty miniseries the plot with James Earl Cash could defintely work.

Body Harvest- That game came out when they were still DMA design but I think the plot is good for a movie or again a TV show might work.

Yeah it's probably not needed as we can enjoy the games a lot more than we ever would with a TV show or a movie but we can always imagine.

• Payne Killer, The Eddo and jaljax like this

Michael
  • Michael

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

I think a good game for a movie would be Smugglers Run, since it has gangs and smuggling, I guess it would make a good action movie.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Mexico

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:33 PM

After what happened with Max Payne, I don't even want to think about it...Which sucks since a movie based on Bully would be awesome...
  • Spider-Vice and Payne Killer like this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Fan-Made Map 2017 [Capital City]
    2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:55 AM

After what happened with Max Payne, I don't even want to think about it...Which sucks since a movie based on Bully would be awesome...

Bully would be a cool cartoon, there's nothing really outrageous or overly racy about it, they could air that sh*t in cartoon network and i would watch it.
  • Femme Fatale, Payne Killer, Ivan1997GTA and 2 others like this

Darkshadows
  • Darkshadows

Boring guy

• Members
  • Colombia

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:39 AM

Bully would be a cool cartoon, there's nothing really outrageous or overly racy about it, they could air that sh*t in cartoon network and i would watch it.

The whole cartoon would be Jimmy doing roundhouse kicks lol

• The Eddo and GTAUrbanCamping like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:41 PM

Red Dead Redemption would be a great movie and I would sign Kurt Russell to play John and Sam Elliott for Ricketts.
  • Payne Killer likes this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

"Life is... weird."

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

The Max Payne movie was pretty good actually. Not the greatest movie ever and not exactly accurate to the game but a very good outcome considering they needed to condense a 10-hour game with a bodycount in the hundreds and an overload of bosses into a 2-hour drama action movie. Despite the (first) game having a cinematic feeling, it doesn't really translate into a serious story very well. Just try to write down the exact actions you take in the game and see if it makes a sensible story on its own. Maybe in the 80's over the top macho action.

Open world games are even less likely to be translated into 2d linear entertainment well. Although I think the diamonds and heroin plots from GTA IV are good enough for a stand-alone movie (that's pretty rare for any video game), it wouldn't be the same without all the distractions you get from other missions and subplots.

Manhunt would probably make the most sense. After all, the premise of the game is that it's a TV show.

Also, Warriors. How about a movie based on that? :p

• otachi likes this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Mexico

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

Manhunt would probably make the most sense. After all, the premise of the game is that it's a TV show.

Now that you mention it, it could work as a mini-series, with each episode being based on each level...Although it probably won't be worth it since all of its gorgeous gore will probably have to be toned down a lot...

otachi
  • otachi

Bring out the gimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:45 PM

We already had a max payne movie,which was decent i think.

Landotel
  • Landotel

Rarely Active

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:31 AM

A mini La Noire epilogue film that shows us what happens after the death of detective Cole Phelps of the main characters in the game. 

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

WE STILL LIVE

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Fan-Made Map 2017 [Capital City]
    2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:15 AM

Red Dead Redemption would be a great movie and I would sign Kurt Russell to play John and Sam Elliott for Ricketts.

Kurt is way too old, put Hugh Jackman or Carl Urban instead. At least for the look, i don't know if they have the acting chops for Johnboy.

We already had a max payne movie,which was decent i think.

*Vomits*
  • Zello, Femme Fatale, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

RDR plot is a rip-off of the movie The Wild Bunch. So, it makes no sense for me to even think about any "R* title" that could be movies since Housers are known to be rip-off masters.
I guess a TV show would work but a movie, not possible. I don't find any R* title deserves that to be recommended for a movie.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Meaningless Award

Posted 3 weeks ago

L.A. Noire one season would cover a very large case or investigation

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

We basically have a GTA movie & that's Crank(2006) 

This is a very underrated thread .. i'm surprised there aren't any more replies, but i get your point about a GTA movie though.

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Am Shaegar, 3 weeks ago.

San Andreas original, top notch storyline deserves to be made into a movie. It'll certainly break all records on the box office for sure.

GTAUrbanCamping
  • GTAUrbanCamping

Urban Camper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Id definitely say LA Noire, which could be related to Blue Bloods or any cop show really. But one with Cole Phelps badge 1247 would be cool.

Inttelix
  • Inttelix

is a

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think GTA2, as promised 19 years ago. 

There is something that makes this the ultimate GTA movie, and I know those who waited for it back then will know what I am talking about.

• BLOOD likes this

Jack Lupino
  • Jack Lupino

"So long-a-Bowser!"

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Jack Lupino, 2 weeks ago.

GTA 3/LCS would make a good tv series about Italian Mafias and crime family.
GTA V would make a nice action movie.
Can't say for Vice City or San Andreas as both of them were from inspired from movies itself

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

• Members
  • Pakistan

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by The Eddo, 2 weeks ago.

Max Payne 2 would make a great film since it's short enough. However, the story could do with some changes, such as Michelle Payne (Max's wife) reincarnating into Mona. That way, the parts where Max keeps looking for her around the whole damn NYC on a stormy night would make more sense and the story would get it's traditional scary flavor which is present in MP1, I don't know why Remedy didn't do this.

Hell, even that scene in the beginning of "The Things That I Want" level and the alternate ending would make sense then.

Not to mention, the story would automatically become longer as Max tries to find out who Mona really is.

Fun fact: The "A Criminal Mastermind" level in MP2 features the Ragnarock rooftop area, but it's not used and the roof has a plain black texture applied on it, you have to glitch out of the building and use the "Jump" console command to get up there.

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

Formerly: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None
  • Take-Two Analyst of the Year

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by BLOOD, 2 weeks ago.

Max Payne 2 or a TV series based on Bully. And a GTA movie will also do big at the box-office

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Meaningless Award

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Zello, 2 weeks ago.

Max Payne 2 or a TV series based on Bully. And a GTA movie will also do big at the box-office

A GTA movie shouldn't just be about making money at the box office it should be able to tell a story and really capture the feeling of the games. I don't think a GTA movie would work because it would be too short. There are a lot of things that we do in these games that would be difficult to include because of time.

I think GTA would work better as a TV show it would give them more time do a lot of story arcs you get to know the characters more and see them develop over the course of the season.

They could incorpate a lot of the famous things that the games do like rampages. At the end of a couple of episodes if the main character goes on a rampage or gets busted the next episode would start with the protagonist leaving the hospital or the police station.

They could also do what Fargo does and each season could be set in a different time period in a different city with a different set of characters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users